Favorite Hoh Quotes

As you all wake up and find shiny new copies of HOH 1 and 2 under your X-mas tree, I thought it would be fun to whet your appetite for some of the dry humor you will find as you work your way through these outstanding books. It has been 2 years since I read them but I think I am going to give them another runthrough, since they are so informative and actually quite funny in some places.For example, on someone folding trips and calling it a brilliant laydown, Dan offers up this nugget:I just smile, nod my head, and think to myself "What an idiot!". Too funny. The moral obv is that you should play trips hard and lose a ton if they happen to get beat.At any rate, happy reading to all, and add to the list of DHisms....

Hall of Fame thread in the making right here boys and girls.

Hall of Fame thread in the making right here boys and girls.
Wow - as I was typing it I was feeling kinda dorky but I had no idea it may turn into a superthread! Clay!
What page was that one from?
the endgame section, can't go wrong ending a tourney with some delicious sushi
For example, on someone folding trips and calling it a brilliant laydown, Dan offers up this nugget:I just smile, nod my head, and think to myself "What an idiot!". Too funny. The moral obv is that you should play trips hard and lose a ton if they happen to get beat.
I guess Royal Tour should re-read HOH2 then... :-DWell, actually he called. nvm.
Has to be better at that then he is at being a QB in the NFL?!
He can play a mean piano, though. He never has had healthy/decent a. ) receiversb. ) running gamec. ) o-line.So I hesitate to call him a horrible football player. He may be this generations Trent Dilfer.. But he's not completely horrible, either.
He can play a mean piano, though. He never has had healthy/decent a. ) receiversb. ) running gamec. ) o-line.So I hesitate to call him a horrible football player. He may be this generations Trent Dilfer.. But he's not completely horrible, either.
Trent Dilfer won a super bowl though.I'll be HIGHLY surprised if Joey Harrington wins a Super Bowl as the starter for a team the entire season.
Trent Dilfer won a super bowl though.I'll be HIGHLY surprised if Joey Harrington wins a Super Bowl as the starter for a team the entire season.
I can't envision a team like that Ravens squad ever coming around the bend again, though.. That was a once in a lifetime defense, Jamal running the ball, and... well, a once in a lifetime defense.Will Purdue won 5 rings, he wasn't much of a basketball player :club:

I will get this thread back on track, now that the restoration folks have showed up."I never made a final table without getting lucky a couple of times when I had all my chips in with the worst of it".Interesting.......even the rocks have to suck out now and then.

As for actual poker content, I love the example he used from the 2003 (?) WSOP where he employed the flyswatting 10-1 rule and called with J-3 in the big blind.While he lost the hand, he claims no one contested his blinds for the next several orbits.That's a definite life-lesson there.

Joey Harrington plays poker? :club:
As a lifetime lions fan, i'll admit that he never really had any "superstars" with him (after all, he missed the whole barry sanders era). But he never was nor will he ever be and NFL caliber QB. I'm sorry, he's decent enough to play maybe CFL, but he still doesn't throw the ball effectively enough to play a 3 down series. I think he may have fallen victim to the "lions curse" with their QB prospects.
As for actual poker content, I love the example he used from the 2003 (?) WSOP where he employed the flyswatting 10-1 rule and called with J-3 in the big blind.While he lost the hand, he claims no one contested his blinds for the next several orbits.That's a definite life-lesson there.
Can you tell this story?
As a lifetime lions fan, i'll admit that he never really had any "superstars" with him (after all, he missed the whole barry sanders era). But he never was nor will he ever be and NFL caliber QB. I'm sorry, he's decent enough to play maybe CFL, but he still doesn't throw the ball effectively enough to play a 3 down series. I think he may have fallen victim to the "lions curse" with their QB prospects.
They kept giving him talented, unproven receivers who kept getting hurt, when the o-line wasn't giving him even a 3-step drop, and Kevin James and co. were NEVER healthy enough to run the ball. I'll use a cooking analogy: You're put in charge of the crummiest DQ in town and have a month before the Michelin Star panel swings by. Capiche? :club:
Can you tell this story?
I just did.. There isn't a whole lot more specifics to toss in there. The player he was trying to swat was a former WSOP ME Champ Euro, think it was Hamid Daschmind (or something like that), but the ability to make a solid +EV play, and have most of the table fail to understand the math behind your play and label you a maniac, was the nice unexpected result. Of course, try that at 20+2 online right now, and 3/4 of the table knows exactly why you made it, so it's only that incredibly plus EV if you hit a time machine and travel backwards 12 years.