Are The Forums Good For Poker?

I would like to hear what the FCPers think of this topic. Does anybody think the in depth sharing of poker knowledge is actually bad for the game? I know Doyle wrote Super System in the 70s and people got jazzed to play, but does anyone remember poker pre-2003?? You didn't have to be very poker smart at all. People just handed over their money. These forums have destroyed those wicked soft games. It takes a good amount of work just to be a struggling middle limit player now.Thoughts?

Please clarify your question, as you ask/infer two different things.Are the forums that help people get better at poker good for the game of poker?Are the forums that help people get better at poker good for the beatability of poker?Pretty easy answers if you understand what you're asking :)Mark

People are not robots that can be programmed/fed advice and then execute it flawlessly. So imo there will always be people who, no matter how much you teach them or provide mechanisms for improvement, will never get better or become great.So many things hold people back. Work, Careers, Lifestyle, patience (or lack of), ability to retain concepts, not enough time to practice what they learn, not enough time to play enough, just want to play recreationally, etc.It just seems like there are so many life obstacles out there to insure that the poker world will always have plenty of fish, regardless of how much improvement/books/dvd's/forums information is available.

Ehhhhh....It's an interesting question to think about, but kind of a pointless one if you really, really think about it. There internet changed everything about everything. So to wonder how things would be without forums would be like....I don't know, but it's gotta be like something

I would guess that at least 75% of people who play poker online don't read forums with any kind of regularity. Fact is forums exist. If you are in the majority non-learners they are bad for you, if you are in the minority learning forum readers they are good for you.

I would guess that at least 75% of people who play poker online don't read forums with any kind of regularity. Fact is forums exist. If you are in the majority non-learners they are bad for you, if you are in the minority learning forum readers they are good for you.
this. Its true, whether people come here or not. Its talked about, and will be continued not matter what
this. Its true, whether people come here or not. Its talked about, and will be continued not matter what
I just started really getting into the game a while ago, forums are great resource to learn IMO.

The best example I thought of would be someone running a horse and carraige business for 20 years. Then the automobile gets invented, and they wonder "Are automobiles hurting my business? I think I'd be better off without them on the road!" Yeah bud, they aren't going away, so you may want to adjust your business strategy. Same goes for this.

I would like to hear what the FCPers think of this topic. Does anybody think the in depth sharing of poker knowledge is actually bad for the game? I know Doyle wrote Super System in the 70s and people got jazzed to play, but does anyone remember poker pre-2003?? You didn't have to be very poker smart at all. People just handed over their money. These forums have destroyed those wicked soft games. It takes a good amount of work just to be a struggling middle limit player now.Thoughts?
I would argue this point

The simple answer:

Please clarify your question, as you ask/infer two different things.Are the forums that help people get better at poker good for the game of poker? YESAre the forums that help people get better at poker good for the beatability of poker? NOPretty easy answers if you understand what you're asking :)Mark

Mark,Okay. I guess I meant to say is it a good thing, in terms of ease of beatability of the games, to freely discuss poker concepts to the point where people can learn very complex concepts in a few short months? Things that have taken years for some guys to learn take about 3 months for others to learn. I realize I am posting this on a poker forum, but should we be teaching our opponents how to play better if we earn when our opponents make mistakes?Another topic would be why do players criticize others bad play? That is moronic if you ask me. I understand they are upset but just be happy he is making errors, and that the game is still good.

The information has always been out there, internet or no internet. You just need to have motivation to get off your ass to go out and get it. To your second point, why critize people in life? Some folk are just not nice or can't help themselves.

The information has always been out there, internet or no internet. You just need to have motivation to get off your ass to go out and get it. To your second point, why critize people in life? Some folk are just not nice or can't help themselves.
Yes but it was hard to get, you had to go to the gamblers book store in Vegas, other than that you were mostly out of luck.The first poker book I ever had was "Jacoby on Poker" then I got a bad photocopy of Skalankys first holdem booklet and it was like "starting hand range" wow what a concept. Still remember the debates we had after that came out.But the more people talking about poker = more playing and that's got to be a good thing.