** official full contact hockey league thread **

Alright, seems like there's enough interest to get a league rolling here for FCPers. 7 People, 8 including myself, have said they'd be in for it today so far. I have more than enough webspace to host a site for it, so that shouldn't be a problem. The site'll be http://hockey.nategosse.com. A 16 team league will be as much as I'm willing to coordinate, although I'd prefer 8 or 10. I'll take the first 15 people who e-mail the address below, and then start a waiting list if necessary as there'll probably be one or two people who'll drop once it starts rolling, if my experience with fantasy pools is any indication.It'll be modelled on the AHL (alternativehockeyleague.com), possibly the exact same format as the AHL if the AHL has no objections to us blatantly plagarizing their site material . The league will only be open to FCPers who have accounts created before today. Unless there's demand otherwise, I imagine it'll be one game a week (on Saturdays most likely). If you're interested in signing up a team send an e-mail to hockey@nategosse.com answering the following questions.1. Do you want a prize pool to be created for this league or are you after the bragging rights? (It would be no more than a $25 entrance fee). If so, how much would you be willing to put in- $5, 10, 25? Will you play if there is an entrance fee, and will you play if there is no entrance fee (no prizes, as of yet, are available to be handed out). i.e. if you want an entrance fee but no one else does are you still interested, and vice versa.2. What e-mail address can I reach you at.3. Your FCP name (Exactly).4. If you know your team name, what is it?After I have a concrete idea of interest I guess we'll move from there. I'll try and see if I can find some people to donate some prizes, but it likely won't be anything amazing. I'm sure the poker store I build tables for would be willing to toss out a few decks of copags or some small chip sets or something. [/url]

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG I think I have memory loss.

Wow, at first I was thinking you must be thinking of someone else, but then I slowly started to recall something about feeling a little screwed but willing to say f it, and whatever. I love being the

(Note: My "like" on the previous post was regarding the friendships made and in no way related to the quip about last Thursday)

I would be interested, but I don't want to jeopardize my possible AHL franchise.
Why do you think this would jeopardize it?
I'm just joking. I'd be interested if I had more info. Will we be having a draft here on the forum? I'm assuming it's a keeper league. Is it for Saturday's games only or for Friday, Saturrday and Sunday's games combined? And my biggest concern is will those that sign up, stick it out????????
I would be interested, but I don't want to jeopardize my possible AHL franchise.
Why do you think this would jeopardize it?
I'm just joking. I'd be interested if I had more info. Will we be having a draft here on the forum? I'm assuming it's a keeper league. Is it for Saturday's games only or for Friday, Saturrday and Sunday's games combined? And my biggest concern is will those that sign up, stick it out????????
I'm kinda lost on how the whole thing will play out as well, the draft is a concern unless we just started a thread and picked a night to have it. I haven't read into how the AHL got it's start, as far as assigning starting player values, etc...It sounds like a really good time for the die-hards around here, but I'm confused on how it's gonna work. The fact that the commish has a website he's willing to dedicate is a big step in the right direction though...

The draft'll take place either here on the forum or on a private table on one of the major sites where observers can chat (i.e. ub, party) depending on whether or not people can agree on a night..... Saturday games only, unless there's a lot of demand for otherwise. There's usually 20-24 teams in action on any given Sat. night, allowing most people to choose playing from about 2/3 of their players.

Have you had an answer on whether or not the AHL commish minds us "borrowing" his rules and setup?I like the way they run things over there, but I'm lost on how it all got started. For instance, at the first draft, could you have signed Peter Forsberg for the same amount of cap space as Niko Kapanen? How is draft order determined for the inaugeral season? I'm sure there will be more questions, but that's all I can come up with at the moment...*Edit* Never mind the salary question, I get it now after re-reading the rules...The free agent draft is held annually. Here you bid on players not currently under contract with another team. The player will be auctioned off to the highest bidder. Bids must be in increments of $ 0.25.The final bid on the player will be his salary for the upcoming season. Each owner in turn nominates a player, bidding on each player will continue clockwise with each owner either raising the bid or dropping out. When only one owner remains, that player is awarded to him. In the event that an owner does not attend the free agent draft, no other owner in the pool may draft for him. He may however send a representative to the draft. If he does not attend he must fill his roster within 24 hours of the draft. These player's salaries will be the average of the owners remaining pool money. (ie. if he has $10 remaining and needs 5 players, each players salary will be $2.00). Also, these players will be considered pickups and these transaction fees will be charged. The draft will start promptly at the scheduled time whether you are there or not!

Having just Saturday games is a problem becuase it eliminates a lot of players from being drafted. A lot of teams don't play many games on Saturday. Perhaps combining all Friday, Saturday and Sunday games would be an option.

Having just Saturday games is a problem becuase it eliminates a lot of players from being drafted.  A lot of teams don't play many games on Saturday.  Perhaps combining all Friday, Saturday and Sunday games would be an option.
I agree on that part very much so. If you had just Saturday Games, it would take out a lot of the teams. I say just any night with maybe 8 games or more. Also, I believe you have to make it worth some sort of money, because if it's just an absolute free roll, you'll have the people who just stop trying because there is nothing at risk to them. We are heading towards the right directions though.

$20 I think is reasonable - I'll take it via pay-pal or cheque, and if you're not comfortable doing either because you don't like giving money to guys on a forum (which is understandable), pm me and we can work something out that's safe for you. Although I don't think I'd go through all this work to scam $300 lol. Fees will be collected after the draft and after everything is set up and the website is running etc.Good point digital, we'll do Fri./Sat./Sun. if that's acceptable to everyone. I'm thinking that you dress a lineup of players playing on a Fri/Sat/Sun game of that week. Please no copying pasting of AHL rules yet. I don't want to start posting rules until I get an okay from the AHL guys... I know it's not copyrighted or anything, but whoever made that site put a lot of work into it and I don't want to copy verbatum until I get the okay from them.

I like the idea of having two games a week, maybe Thursday/Saturday, but I also recognize that game day will be a lot of work for the commissioner. Whatever he decides is fine by me, I'll just organize my draft according to whatever rules are decided on. I can't wait for this, hopefully we can draft soon!

$20 I think is reasonable.We'll do Fri./Sat./Sun. if that's acceptable to everyoneI don't want to start posting rules until I get an okay from the AHL guys.
How do you want to do this? Neteller, Paypal, honor system...Combination Fri/Sat/Sun would work well, you should be able to get most every team in the league into action on at least one of those days. Only problem is the goalies, if one team has their goalies playing on all three days and the other team only has them playing one, it's pretty unfair to the guy with 3 starts.
$20 I think is reasonable.We'll do Fri./Sat./Sun. if that's acceptable to everyoneI don't want to start posting rules until I get an okay from the AHL guys.
How do you want to do this? Neteller, Paypal, honor system...Combination Fri/Sat/Sun would work well, you should be able to get most every team in the league into action on at least one of those days. Only problem is the goalies, if one team has their goalies playing on all three days and the other team only has them playing one, it's pretty unfair to the guy with 3 starts.
you'd have to specify which day you want your player/goalie to play on if they're playing in more than one game. I guess we'd do something like if they failed to specify they'd automacially be awarded the points for the first game they played in.

The AHL only plays on days when there is a minimum of 6 games. Perhaps we just need to look at the schedule and play on days when there is a minimum of 8 days. I haven't looked at the schedule so I'm not sure how many fantasy games that means. It may work out to being only Saturdays with an occassional extra game a week.

If it's a 16 person league, and only $20, I don't have the time to sort out midweek games and update the site etc. The weekend idea puts almost everyteam in play, everyone knows when the games are, and I can update every Sunday night.If there's someone out there willing to handle any midweek games that might pop-up, pm me and we can see if something can be worked out, but I think the weekend idea will be a lot easier on everyone. No worrying about having teams submitted etc. because it'll be every Thursday at 12:00 cutoff or something every week.