2009-2010 Bowl Games

my Bama boys and the rest of my family's Longhorns (my Mom and 2 of my cousins go there, Grandma worked there, and most of the family lives around Austin) square off in the Championship Game. i hope its a good game but Texas has really struggled against the only decent teams/defenses they've faced this year. and if Bama plays the way they did Saturday it wont even be close.some other interesting bowl games:Rutgers and UCF in the St. Petersburg Bowl Dec 19th. UCF hasnt been too bad this year, with a win over ranked Houston. they only lost by 5 by 5 to ECU who won C-USA.Middle Tenn and Southern Miss in the New Orleans Bowl on Dec 20th. Two good defensesBYU and Oregon State in Las Vegas Bowl Dec 22nd. USC and Boston College in the Emerald Bowl Dec 26th. Even when USC loses, they still get a bowl game in their own state (san francisco)Clemson and Kentucky in the Music City Bowl Dec 27th. Clemson should beat KY, but the way they ended their season against the SEC this could be a good game.Independence Bowl: Georgia and Texas A&M Dec 28th. A&M got thrashed against Arkansas earlier this year. Miami and Wisconsin in the Sports Bowl Dec 29th. Idaho and Bowling Green in the Humanitarian Bowl Dec 30th. Idaho's first bowl game in forever and BG has one of the best WRs in the country.ARizona vs Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl Dec 30th.Stanford vs Oklahoma in the Sun Bowl Dec. 31st. LSU vs Penn St. in the Capital One bowl Jan 1st. a couple of good but underachieving teams with good defenses. Papajohns.com Bowl (never thought id say this would be a good game) but UCONN vs South Carolina on Jan 2nd.OK state vs Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl Jan 2nd. as every year, big 10 offense vs SEC defense. i think the SEC has been dominant in this bowl the past several years (i base that on Bama winning one over OKST a few years ago and over TTech in 2005, so maybe not). East Carolina and Arkansas in the Liberty Bowl Jan 2nd. ECU just beat Houston and has been rolling lately. lets see if they can hang with a decent team from the SEC.Troy and Central Michigan in the GMAC bowl Jan 6th. Troy went 9-3 with 2 losses to Florida and Arkansas. Central Michigan is 11-2 with Dan LeFevour.then of course the BCS games which aside from the championship might be kinda boring. GT and Iowa might be a better game than I think (if Iowa's QB is back it should be, i dont follow them so i dont know; TCU-Boise might be good but Boise hasnt seen a defense like TCU, and TCU has crushed every good team they've played. I think for one game on one day TCU could beat Texas/Florida/Bama for the NC. i doubt they'd win a playoff having to face 2 or more of the top teams, but for one game they could definately get up and win. this is why I love the bowl season. sure, i think we should have a +1 playoff for the NC, but we get so many really good games with teams most of us dont get to watch a lot of. or matchups that would never happen otherwise but will be really fun to watch. maybe nobody cares about Middle Tenn and Southern Miss, but it should be a good game, and thats why I watch football (or any sport) is to see a good game.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to all of them. Gonna be in the phoenix area during bowl time, but unfortunately not a lot of games down there I wanna pay to see. Sorry Minnesota/Iowa State.

then of course the BCS games which aside from the championship might be kinda boring. GT and Iowa might be a better game than I think (if Iowa's QB is back it should be, i dont follow them so i dont know; TCU-Boise might be good but Boise hasnt seen a defense like TCU, and TCU has crushed every good team they've played. I think for one game on one day TCU could beat Texas/Florida/Bama for the NC. i doubt they'd win a playoff having to face 2 or more of the top teams, but for one game they could definately get up and win.
I like all of the BCS bowl games this year, which is why I probably don't care about a playoff that much.TCU is good enough to beat anybody, but it's doubtful that they could win twice?
I have to think the fact that Iowa gets a month to prepare for that offense is a huge deal.
It is. Iowa's safeties are very physical and very athletic. The linebackers are quick and sure tacklers. The DE's hold contain pretty well(though Clayborn is much better than Binns). They might get burnt on a deep pass or two over playing the run but I don't expect GT to rush for 200. 125-150, maybe.
TCU is good enough to beat anybody, but it's doubtful that they could win twice?
yeah. not twice in a row anyway. if they had to go beat Bama and then beat texas or florida the next week i dont think they could. for one game i think they can pull a Utah/Boise upset, but i dont think any of those teams could run through a playoff beating several top programs.
yeah. not twice in a row anyway. if they had to go beat Bama and then beat texas or florida the next week i dont think they could. for one game i think they can pull a Utah/Boise upset, but i dont think any of those teams could run through a playoff beating several top programs.
So, for example, you think they could beat Alabama, but not if they beat Texas the week before?Basically, you're just trying to say that you think TCU is a significant underdog to any of those three teams, yes?
So, for example, you think they could beat Alabama, but not if they beat Texas the week before?Basically, you're just trying to say that you think TCU is a significant underdog to any of those three teams, yes?
not necessarily that theyd win the first game and lose the next. basically that they're underdogs, but that they could win a game vs a UT/Bama/Fla (or for Utah last year OK, Fla, Bama, Texas...) maybe one time in 3 or 4. they have the talent and coaching staff to pull off a win, just not on a consistent basis.*i would like to see a +1 format and atleast give them a chance to prove me wrong, though.
I think he is saying they are just a underdog, not a significant underdog.I have seen Texas play 4 times and I have seen TCU play twice. I think TCU is better.
It is. Iowa's safeties are very physical and very athletic. The linebackers are quick and sure tacklers. The DE's hold contain pretty well(though Clayborn is much better than Binns). They might get burnt on a deep pass or two over playing the run but I don't expect GT to rush for 200. 125-150, maybe.
I have no clue who wins this game but i think GT runs for 200+one thing Iowa has going for them is having a month to prepare for Techs rush attack. If they had a standard week then no way they hold to under 200. Have you watched a GT game this year or just highlights? But, like I said, the month off helps.......as proven by LSU blasting Tech in last years bowl game

I've seen Texas play 12 times and TCU 4 times.... TCU is not a better team.TCU would not match up well against Texas.Nebraska is the only team that figured out the game plan to stop the Texas offense. Their only problem is that they couldn't counter-punch with any offense.A&M tried to go toe-to-toe and put up a good fight and that's how TCU would attack a game against the Horns.Texas played 4 ranked teams and their opps had a winning record overall... TCU played 3 ranked teams and their opps had a losing record overall. Virginia 3-9, UNLV 5-7, Texas State 7-4,Clemson 8-5, Air Force 7-5, SD State 4-8, Wyoming 5-6 and New Mexico 1-11 for a combined WL record of 40-55.They barely beat Clemson who lost 5 games this season.....barely beat Air Force who lost 5 games this year.TCU had a GREAT season.... I LOVE TCU.... hell...the University is 15 miles from my house.... but they would not beat Texas or Alabama.

I have no clue who wins this game but i think GT runs for 200+one thing Iowa has going for them is having a month to prepare for Techs rush attack. If they had a standard week then no way they hold to under 200. Have you watched a GT game this year or just highlights? But, like I said, the month off helps.......as proven by LSU blasting Tech in last years bowl game
I've watched 4, maybe 5 (still have a couple on the DVR, actually) of their games this year and have been fairly impressed with them. I watched as much of Paul Johnson's Navy teams as I could(both parents were Navy) and I've always liked the way his teams play smart, disciplined football. I also have no problem admitting my bias in being an Iowa fan, but I really don't think people give them much credit for how fast and physical their defense is. Sash and Greenwood play the run as well as they play the pass and they had like 13 INTs this season.
I think he is saying they are just a underdog, not a significant underdog.I have seen Texas play 4 times and I have seen TCU play twice. I think TCU is better.
Here's my point. Imagine that Texas scheduled Florida and Alabama back to back as part of their out of conference schedule. How many people would be predicting they go 2-0?You would have to be over 70% likely to win each game to be a favorite to win them both (I think that's right), so it's not really saying much to say that you don't think TCU would do so.I personally think that all six undefeated teams are very close to each other.
INSIGHT BOWL BABY! The real National Championship.
yuck, my family decided to pass on going to the Insight Bowl this year and I'm glad we did. I don't want to see Minnesota stink it up for the third time.
I've seen Texas play 12 times and TCU 4 times.... TCU is not a better team.TCU would not match up well against Texas.Nebraska is the only team that figured out the game plan to stop the Texas offense. Their only problem is that they couldn't counter-punch with any offense.A&M tried to go toe-to-toe and put up a good fight and that's how TCU would attack a game against the Horns.Texas played 4 ranked teams and their opps had a winning record overall... TCU played 3 ranked teams and their opps had a losing record overall. Virginia 3-9, UNLV 5-7, Texas State 7-4,Clemson 8-5, Air Force 7-5, SD State 4-8, Wyoming 5-6 and New Mexico 1-11 for a combined WL record of 40-55.They barely beat Clemson who lost 5 games this season.....barely beat Air Force who lost 5 games this year.TCU had a GREAT season.... I LOVE TCU.... hell...the University is 15 miles from my house.... but they would not beat Texas or Alabama.
from cbssports:Their (Texas) best victory is over an Oklahoma State team that couldn't beat Houston. Please, hold your applause. Their closing statements were anything but convincing, giving up 39 points to Texas A&M, then having Anderson clear up any misunderstanding about how they mismanaged the clock. Texas was one silly second from making Chris Webber's timeout in the Final Four look like a mere oversight. At least TCU went on the road twice in the ACC to win. The Frogs beat two other ranked teams. Cincinnati beat three teams ranked in the top 20. But Texas is in and when Saturday blows over we'll spend most of the next month flogging its honorable place in that brand-name final.
BYU and Oregon State in Las Vegas Bowl Dec 22nd. ARizona vs Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl Dec 30th.LSU vs Penn St. in the Capital One bowl Jan 1st. a couple of good but underachieving teams with good defenses. OK state vs Ole Miss in the Cotton Bowl
These are going to be the best bowl games IMOI HOPE Oregon State beats the Mormons.... both of those teams are exciting to watch...should be a slug-fest.Nebraska is going to be fun to watch... they may actually try some trick plays like ANYTHING BUT RUNNING UP THE MIDDLE.LSU and Penn State will be a great game.Ok State beats Ole Miss badly here.
Ok State beats Ole Miss badly here.
If you think this is true, how can it be one of the 'best games'?

Although I think Boise State vs TCU will be a fun game, I wish that they each got to play a BCS school. It would certainly help the mid-major's cause if they could both beat up on a BCS school. Of course, on the flip side, if they both got blown out it would set them back several years in trying to get into the championship game. Also, the only way a plus-one system works this year is if Cincy loses. If they win, you're still left with three undefeateds.

yuck, my family decided to pass on going to the Insight Bowl this year and I'm glad we did. I don't want to see Minnesota stink it up for the third time.
My dad asked me if I wanted him to get tickets since we will be down there. HELL NO <-- text response