Official Detroit Red Wings Thread

I don't understand how there isn't a thread for the best team in the NHL, but here we go. I've been a Red Wings fan since '97, when I started to get into hockey. I went to the game a few years back when Osgood and Roy got into their fight at center ice (and was 7 rows from the ice.)Anyway, the Wings have a big game tonight against the Ducks, hopefully we can avenge last year's loss in the WCF.

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome to the hockey forum...I dont like the Red wings particularly, but i respect them as a solid franchise..Good luck

My great grandfather played for the Red Wings in the thirties, won two Stanley cups for them, and is in the hall of fame.So, I'll always have a thing for the Red Wings in my heart.

chippy game tonight thus far.
yes, definitely. been an entertaining game as well.
My great grandfather played for the Red Wings in the thirties, won two Stanley cups for them, and is in the hall of fame.So, I'll always have a thing for the Red Wings in my heart.
name?Was it Marty Barry or Ebbie Goodfellow?
John Sherf?EDIT: Damn
You should do his Wiki page justice.
I think I will. I'll see if I can get around to it this weekend
very cool. Any of his old game sweaters lying around? Or those of his teammates?
Not that I know of. I'll have to ask around the family. I do have a ton of great pictures, though.

A 2 minute 5-3, a 2-0 break when Beauchemin breaks his stick and then trap the rest of the way and it's game over. Hopefully someone upsets the Wings in Round 1.

oh yeah? Well, I'm related to Mickey Mantle. So there.Haveaball.jpg
Hopefully it's the Hawks.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. That was funny. I have thought about making one of these but there doesn't seem to be many fans of them so no point and what fun is a thread if the team is actually pretty good and we can't enjoy it like say the Leafs topic. I have been a Wings fan since probably 85 I think. I would have to look it up but I went to my first game around then during the playoffs against St Louis. My dad and his friends went to all the games in that series in St Louis and in Detroit and he took me to the last game. It was pretty cool. I liked hockey but didn't get into it that much but that was the start of my love for the Wings and the game in general. I have had the pleasure of being at 100's of games over the years thanks to my dad and his friends with great season tix. Some of my most memorable experiences at the Joe:-Was at the game when they broke the record for most wins in the season. Still to this date I have not been in a louder place.-My friends and I snuck into game 7 against the Blues when Stevie scored the only goal of the game in OT and by that point we were sitting, well standing in row 7 right behind the net he scored on. -Throwing two hats thanks to a Shanny hat trick and a McCarty hat trick and not getting my hat back from the McCarty one because he kept the hats he liked.- Watching Wayne Gretzky shoot from the point and the puck hurdle right at me and have the douche bag in front of me jump up and take it in the chest and the puck falls into the lap of his friend next to him. Dammit it was mine!-going to the big rallys after all 3 cups-My friends and I deciding that at 11:00 pm the night before Game 4 of the 98 Cup Finals that we should jump in the car and drive to DC and try and get tickets to the game at the MCI center. Got there about 11am after getting lost in PA and calling ticket master and getting tickets with no problem and then watching the Wings win the cup that night live and in person.Those are the highlights but there have been many more. I will admit that I am lucky to be Wings fan as they have given us a ton to be happy about over the last decade and more and now with the Tigers doing well it is just good to be in Detroit. Now all we need is to kick the Lions out and we are straight.

I was born in Detroit, and follow every game. It's been hard these last few years, after being so damn good during the regular season, then not bringing it home in the playoffs.This season though has been different so far with the addition of a scoring defenseman Brian Rafalski. At the start of the season, I was a little worried, because I had seen him give up the puck a couple of times and didn't think he was the right fit. Then he was paired with Lidstrom, and even if Rafalski makes a mistake now, Lidstrom is the best defenseman in NHL history, so even giveaways Lidstrom defends. Datsyuk having an awesome year, Zetterberg has had a bad back, but is still top 10 in points.Great players like Cleary and Filppula are starting to find their footing.What about goaltending you ask? Umm...a 6-time Vezina / 2-time Hart trophy winner in Hasek AND simply the best goalie in the league to this point of the season in Chris Osgood with a 20-3-2 record with a 1.87 GAA.If there's one thing that I'm worried about is that we don't really have an enforcer, maybe Downey, but I just don't think he can cut it. Either way, the cup is coming home to Motown this year.

Just a question to the Red Wings fansHas the fan base diminished?I believe if I am not mistaken attendance has been down...

Just a question to the Red Wings fansHas the fan base diminished?I believe if I am not mistaken attendance has been down...
no its because detroit is getting poorthey can't sell their cars anymorein fact i dont know what im talking about , but this is what i heard
Though NFL games still sell out...
This is just what I heard, but the people from Detroit don't have as much money to spend on sporting events. Then you add into the fact that the Lions were better this past year, the Tigers went to the world Series two years ago and made a huge trade to try and go back, and the Pistons are again one of the best in the Eastern Conference. So maybe they have to choose what to spend their money on, and right now it's not hockey because they know the Wings will just fold in the playoffs. Hockeytown my ass.