Jump to content


Return Of The Tiger


29 replies to this topic

#1 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:27 AM

Tiger Woods is back. Makes his return in the WGC-Accenture Match-Play Championship. Predictions?


#2 rinswun

rinswun

    Glencross FTW!!

  • Members
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:33 AM

View Postfleung22, on Friday, February 20th, 2009, 5:27 AM, said:

Tiger Woods is back. Makes his return in the WGC-Accenture Match-Play Championship. Predictions?
i'd wait til i see the draw to make a prediction but given the way most of the other big names have start the season (aside from lefty yesterday) i wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he took it down. anyone want to put a pool together on the brackets when the draw is made?
<!--quoteo(post=3293053:date=Monday, February 15th, 2010, 12&#58;43 PM:name=Untilted)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Untilted &#064; Monday, February 15th, 2010, 12&#58;43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3293053"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I know Ollie is perhaps the most likable guy in the history of the world but the man love for him is bordering on the ridiculous. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Weight loss bet:

#3 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

View Postrinswun, on Friday, February 20th, 2009, 9:33 PM, said:

i'd wait til i see the draw to make a prediction but given the way most of the other big names have start the season (aside from lefty yesterday) i wouldnt be the least bit surprised if he took it down. anyone want to put a pool together on the brackets when the draw is made?
well I'm nearly positive that Tiger will be seeded 1 unless hell freezes over. that means round 1 would be vs. the 64th seed. Tiger wouldn't embarrass himself by returning out of form so even if he's not at the peak of his game it's safe to say he'll make round 2.


#4 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

and yes, I'm down for a pool if I don't have to organize. send pm if it's a go please.


#5 AimHigher

AimHigher

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:43 PM

Posted ImageTiger will crush his opponents with sheer intimidation.

#6 pauld22

pauld22

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 745 posts
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
  • Interests:Golf, soccer, guitar

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

My prediction?Posted ImagePain.
It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in,
And you've got the stock market beat.

But the man worth while, is the man who can smile,
When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#7 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:47 AM

View PostAimHigher, on Friday, February 20th, 2009, 3:43 PM, said:

Posted ImageTiger will crush his opponents with sheer intimidation.

View Postpauld22, on Friday, February 20th, 2009, 5:13 PM, said:

My prediction?Posted ImagePain.
this pretty much sums it up./pgaseason

#8 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:18 PM

1 downToo bad Goosen didn't win his bracket...I'd rather watch him vs. Tiger than ClarkBrackets: http://sports.espn.g...ture?id=3913305


#9 pauld22

pauld22

    Poker Forum Groupie

  • Members
  • 745 posts
  • Location:Buffalo, NY
  • Interests:Golf, soccer, guitar

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:49 PM

View Postpauld22, on Friday, February 20th, 2009, 8:13 PM, said:

My prediction?Posted ImagePain.
:club:
It's easy to grin, when your ship comes in,
And you've got the stock market beat.

But the man worth while, is the man who can smile,
When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

#10 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

well, so much for tigerhttp://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3937211


#11 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 01 April 2009 - 03:00 AM

really? no props for Tiger coming back from 5 shots on final day? Is OT Gen that dead??


#12 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

    Forum Entitlist

  • Members
  • 26,848 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

View Postfleung22, on Wednesday, April 1st, 2009, 3:00 AM, said:

really? no props for Tiger coming back from 5 shots on final day? Is OT Gen that dead??
I love how results oriented and reactionary the media is. I heard, in the last month, so many people predicting Tiger's down fall, giving gloom and doom predictions of him not being able to come back from this injury, and his results in the first couple tournaments proving it. Everytime Tiger has a down swing, people are ready to say " is he done? has he lost focus" and blah blah blah. I think there's only a very small percentage of people in the media who understand how luck based golf really is. That is not to say that there is not skill involved in golf, because there certainly is.. but what I mean is, each player, on every shot, has a certain percentage to hit the fairway, a certain percentage to hit a green, a certain percentage to make a put, w/e. It takes a long string of good luck to win a tournament, and the fact that tiger wins so very many, dominates so much in this sport, is even more staggering to me, because it means his probabilities are shockingly better than his opponents. But, even as the most skilled player in the world, he's going to have bad runs, unlucky streaks. It doesn't mean he's in a slump, necessarily, it just means he is ( as is inevitable) in an unlucky streak. But, coming back from this injury, isn't even about that. It's about him not having golfed for 8 months. Jesus christ, all these commentators were ready to pronounce him dead. Give him, you know, a few months at least, to get his swing back, and his game back. and then, he comes back and wins this tournament in spectacular fashion, many weeks ( months even) before I would have bet he'd have won a tournament. The guy is just shockingly good, and I don't know why so many idiot sports commentators are so eagar to proclaim his downfall, other than they are idiots (or pessimists, in Tony Kornheiser's case)
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#13 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:17 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, April 1st, 2009, 8:05 PM, said:

I love how results oriented and reactionary the media is. I heard, in the last month, so many people predicting Tiger's down fall, giving gloom and doom predictions of him not being able to come back from this injury, and his results in the first couple tournaments proving it. Everytime Tiger has a down swing, people are ready to say " is he done? has he lost focus" and blah blah blah. I think there's only a very small percentage of people in the media who understand how luck based golf really is. That is not to say that there is not skill involved in golf, because there certainly is.. but what I mean is, each player, on every shot, has a certain percentage to hit the fairway, a certain percentage to hit a green, a certain percentage to make a put, w/e. It takes a long string of good luck to win a tournament, and the fact that tiger wins so very many, dominates so much in this sport, is even more staggering to me, because it means his probabilities are shockingly better than his opponents. But, even as the most skilled player in the world, he's going to have bad runs, unlucky streaks. It doesn't mean he's in a slump, necessarily, it just means he is ( as is inevitable) in an unlucky streak. But, coming back from this injury, isn't even about that. It's about him not having golfed for 8 months. Jesus christ, all these commentators were ready to pronounce him dead. Give him, you know, a few months at least, to get his swing back, and his game back. and then, he comes back and wins this tournament in spectacular fashion, many weeks ( months even) before I would have bet he'd have won a tournament. The guy is just shockingly good, and I don't know why so many idiot sports commentators are so eagar to proclaim his downfall, other than they are idiots (or pessimists, in Tony Kornheiser's case)
I guess now that I'm removed from North America I didn't notice the 'doom and gloom' predictions. I thought pretty much like you...he'll win one over the next 10 tournaments or at least have a bunch of top 5 finishes.It really is sick how much he dominates his sport.


#14 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

    Forum Entitlist

  • Members
  • 26,848 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:21 AM

View Postfleung22, on Wednesday, April 1st, 2009, 4:17 AM, said:

I guess now that I'm removed from North America I didn't notice the 'doom and gloom' predictions. I thought pretty much like you...he'll win one over the next 10 tournaments or at least have a bunch of top 5 finishes.It really is sick how much he dominates his sport.
It's probably just that I listen to a lot of sports talk radio, and a lot of idiots spend a lot of time trying to fill hours, and the " tiger is great" story line is an old and boring one.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#15 AimHigher

AimHigher

    Poker Forum Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,722 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:00 AM

View PostBigDMcGee, on Wednesday, April 1st, 2009, 1:05 PM, said:

The guy is just shockingly good, and I don't know why so many idiot sports commentators are so eagar to proclaim his downfall, other than they are idiots (or pessimists, in Tony Kornheiser's case)
It's just a form of sensationalism. They want to create controversy because it draws in viewers and let's people know Tiger is making his return. What do you think happened to their ratings during the time he was rehabbing his knee? A lot of people only tune in if Tiger is playing. He's a huge draw and he generates an incredible amount of revenue.

#16 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 05 April 2009 - 02:25 AM

Still one of the all time greatest golf moments.http://espn.go.com/v...egoryid=2630020


#17 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:58 PM

View Postfleung22, on Sunday, April 5th, 2009, 3:25 AM, said:

Still one of the all time greatest golf moments.http://espn.go.com/v...egoryid=2630020
that is an awesome moment. this is my favorite tiger moment: 2002 PGA out of the left bunker from 211 with a 3 iron.

#18 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 08 April 2009 - 04:05 AM

bring on the Masters!


#19 fleung22

fleung22

    PokerStars Global Events Rep (PokerStars Macau)

  • Members
  • 7,006 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Vancouver-->Toronto-->Macau

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

wow, can't believe how dead this thread is even during Masters. guess FCP ain't really full of golf fans


#20 GeneralGeeWhiz

GeneralGeeWhiz

    Go Niners

  • Members
  • 5,191 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cupertino/Garden City, CA
  • Interests:mtt bubbles, girls, fast cars and golf.
  • Favorite Poker Game:mtt bubbles

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:27 AM

View Postfleung22, on Saturday, April 11th, 2009, 5:49 AM, said:

wow, can't believe how dead this thread is even during Masters. guess FCP ain't really full of golf fans
I got your back. :club: I've been golfing since age 2. I'm obsessed with it.



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users