Drinking and Poker

I recently saw Daniel's take on pokerupdates.com about drinking and poker. However, from many players I spoke to and "pros" that I have seen personally, some of them DO infact drink a lot while playing live and during major tournaments. (and I'm talking they had quite a few drinks!) I'm wondering after Daniel's insight, how these major pros can be so succesful with the combination of poker/drinking. Thoughts and Insigths? Or are these pros just a special breed? I certainly can barely hold a conversation while drinking. :wink:

I think this really depends on the person. Think about it, some people are more adept at dreaking more alcohol than others. If you consider that, let's look at Men The Master.... He's always drinking a Corona at the tabel and seems to have a buzz going everytime I see him on TV. To him, maybe he feels his best when he's drinking. Some people like to have a buzz to take the edge off.Me personally, I'll only drink when at home games and occasionally in Vegas. But when I'm playing to make some money, which is 99% of the time.... I'm drinking water.

I rarely drink anyway, and never at the poker table. There is so much that needs to be observed and contemplated at the table that is sometimes missed when sober. Why put yourself at a further disadvantage?I'll admit however... I have tried the water in the vodka bottle trick. :D

Yeah must be. It was actually Men who I was referring to. I saw him Tuesday make the final table at the Bellagio 3K buyin then finish Wednsday in 2nd place. And he had quite a few to drink. Amazing...I guess.

I believe it was Churchill who said "Alcohol never took anything away from me, if anything I took from it."Personally I have never dominated a table sober the way I can inibriated. The flip side is I have never been slaughtered so bad as when I have been under the influence of the Devil juice. Who Knows? I believe moderation the key, I just tend to forget sometimes where that key is. After daniels 80K loss , cant remember what happened article I quit for a year and although I do drink now, I keep that article in the forfront of my brain and usually try for complete abstinence while playing. Sobriety SUCKS!

Blaming bad play on beer is just too easy. I play virtually identical no matter how bombed I am, the only difference is when I'm unbelievably juiced I'm firing away at the cocktail waitresses. Hey baby, dig short drunk low limit poker players? Damn baby calm down.....

i like to drink , but at the table i do it sparringly...like somebody else said , you are there to make money...bottom line...ill order a grey goose rocks and nurse it..i like the taste ,but i dont drink more than 2 in a 4-6 hr session...usaully i drink a soft drink..but now and then i will take a drink..beiong drunk at the table, while working for others wouldnt work for me...i tend to get impatient and my attention span turns into that of a 12 yr old while drinking...so i save the partying till after i rake in the chips of the tourists on vacation getting bombed at the tables

• 1 year later...
I believe it was Churchill who said "Alcohol never took anything away from me, if anything I took from it."Personally I have never dominated a table sober the way I can inibriated. The flip side is I have never been slaughtered so bad as when I have been under the influence of the Devil juice. Who Knows? I believe moderation the key, I just tend to forget sometimes where that key is. After daniels 80K loss , cant remember what happened article I quit for a year and although I do drink now, I keep that article in the forfront of my brain and usually try for complete abstinence while playing. Sobriety SUCKS!
this guy knows all about moderation....Sobriety SUCKS! amen
this guy knows all about moderation....Sobriety SUCKS! amen
LOLGreat bump from the past, Beans.

I only play home games, and on the rare occassion I host I will drink, smoke, and drink some more with reckless abandon.Part of it is me trying to make up for the usual game when I go to someone's home. I won't have a sip if I'm driving. Other players are looser with their own conduct and I'm often the only sober one there.I recall something DN wrote, in his blog maybe, long time ago. Basically, that the very occasional drinking & playing session can loosen you up to play different and that it generally can be good for one's game. I agree, as long as its on a very rare basis.