Hellmuth Gets $50k To Play Poker After Dark?

I heard on the show Poker After Dark that he gets $50K to play televised events. I think Antonio Esfandiari said it on the show. Hellmuth confirmed it. I wonder if he gets a free buyin on top of that from NBC. I know Hellmuth is a big draw because he is popular player but that is sick! I wonder if that is the reason he is playing so loose and so often on the show. Does anyone know if any other players get money for playing?

I heard on the show Poker After Dark that he gets $50K to play televised events. I think Antonio Esfandiari said it on the show. Hellmuth confirmed it. I wonder if he gets a free buyin on top of that from NBC. I know Hellmuth is a big draw because he is popular player but that is sick! I wonder if that is the reason he is playing so loose and so often on the show. Does anyone know if any other players get money for playing?
it might be UB paying him but i doubt NBC is paying the players more then the buy in, it wouldnt make much sense
it might be UB paying him but i doubt NBC is paying the players more then the buy in, it wouldnt make much sense
Why not? Seems a good bet that the ad revenue brought in by 6 hours of original programming each week is enough to pay those kinds of costs and still net the network a profit.

Sure they could make it a freeroll and still be profitable. It'd be WAAAAY cheaper to put up a 120K prize pool than to pay actors to do 5 hours worth of scripted shows.Phil has said repeatedly that he gets a 50K appearance fee. That's for private appearances. I doubt that he gets paid by the producer to appear on the show though it's possible. He's certainly not paid 50K by ESPN to appear at the WSOP. It's also highly possible (even likely) that UB pays him to appear on the show. It's probably worth it for them to put up the 20K and pay him 50K on top.

It certainly seemed like Phil was joking about the $50k apperance fee. I agree that either NBC or UB is probably picking up his entry fee. My guess is NBC pays the entry fee for all the players, but that is pure speculation. However, most Poker sites cover at least the buyins for tournaments that their players play, and Phil supposedly has a very lucrative agreeement with UB.

Its obvious phil is getting paid. And its also obvious he DID NOT get paid for the first week. He was serious then and cared. After his blowup and his "threat" (which I wish he would just make good on and go away) of not coming back caused them to pay him - now he doesnt care and is just having fun. When he touched Iveys shirt and laughed, I just thought - if the roles were reversed, he would have jumped up and screamed bloody murder if someone touched him during a hand. He's such a hypocrite and a farce - I can't stand that people look up to him and think he's good for anything other than himself.

Anybody get the feeling that Phil is using the entire show to create an image of a guy willing to play ultraloose and fold to reraises? This is the third week in a row where Phil will open with some garbage UTG, the cutoff raises him and he mucks. Either he is incapable of changing up his game (which I doubt), or he is doing some advertising about his new ultraloose image. Thoughts?

No players are given more incentive to play than any other from NBC. If UB pays him to play that's one thing, but there is no chance that NBC gave him $50,000 just to show up for one six handed table.
It must be UB paying them. Since Antonio and Hellmuth are both sponsered by them. Coming from you DN, then I can believe you. You're right about Brit. S. She has lost it!!!
Its obvious phil is getting paid. And its also obvious he DID NOT get paid for the first week.
You do realize that these are not aired in the same order that they were filmed right? I'm pretty sure that on the first there were comments made about others that had been filmed already. Not sure if it was Phil's first or not but I don't think it was the first filmed.
You do realize that these are not aired in the same order that they were filmed right? I'm pretty sure that on the first there were comments made about others that had been filmed already. Not sure if it was Phil's first or not but I don't think it was the first filmed.
I dont know that.. But based on what I see, I can only assume that the first week appears to be phils first. I mean, they are asking questions about rules and such.. To me, that looked like the very first episode filmed. You may be right though.And to DN - I'm sorry, but even though you are on the show, you still may not know whats going on with others. I hate the fact that one person may be treated differently than others, but its a life fact and based on appearances that we are all witnessing, it looks like phils attitude has changed and only one thing changes someone like him - Getting something others don't. And for this, its gotta be money and probably transportation.
I dont know that.. But based on what I see, I can only assume that the first week appears to be phils first. I mean, they are asking questions about rules and such.. To me, that looked like the very first episode filmed. You may be right though.And to DN - I'm sorry, but even though you are on the show, you still may not know whats going on with others. I hate the fact that one person may be treated differently than others, but its a life fact and based on appearances that we are all witnessing, it looks like phils attitude has changed and only one thing changes someone like him - Getting something others don't. And for this, its gotta be money and probably transportation.
I think its a mistake to believe you know exactly (and only) what changes "someone like phil". I have seen just about every poker show on tv (thanks tivo), which includes tons of appearances by Phil, but I have no idea why he may have changed. Maybe he was just in a good mood that day? Maybe a bad mood the other day of filming? Sure maybe DN doesn't know the contractual agreements that some players have, but I value his opinion and thoughts on it a bit more as someone who is in front of the cameras with Phil, not just a viewer like us. I would also imagine the players discuss things like this probably off camera quite a bit, as they all seem like friends for the most part.

I think the $50K fee you are alluding to about Hellmuth isn't about Poker Afer Dark; it's about the personal fees that HE charges individually to either host a poker party or do a one on one session. Hellmuth mentioned on the show that his personal appearance is $50K a night, and that was the reason why if him and Antonio played heads up, that it would have to be for more money because he would be the favorite and he would need to play for more money to make it worth his while :club:This is from his website:

Play Poker With Phil HellmuthA few ways to meet and play poker with Phil!People who drive outrageously fast cars often find that everybody in the world wants to race them... even people driving stock Volkswagen Beetles! So it should be no surprise that Phil often finds that players of all levels want to have the chance to sit across the felt from him. There are a few ways we know of to get some time at the poker table with Phil:Buy into the World Series of Poker $10,000 main event... Lose it all in one hand! Play with Phil at UltimateBet.com, the most complete poker room on the Internet. Go to Camp Hellmuth and learn to play poker from Phil himself! Check out Phil's Schedule and try to catch him that way! Play Texas Hold 'Em from your cell phone, courtesy of Summus Poker Night with Phil Hellmuth! Transport yourself and up to 200 others into the world of professional poker for an afternoon or evening. Phil Hellmuth, seven time World Champion of Poker, will come to your house, business, convention or retreat and personally teach you how to play poker like the pros. Afterwards, Phil will run a poker tournament for all attendees, World Championship style. Of course, if you prefer to learn some serious strategy from what many regard as the best poker player in the world today, then one-on-one lessons with Phil will be the best way to go. In addition to winning millions of dollars playing poker, Phil has been featured on ESPN, Discovery Channel, E! Entertainment, Sports Illustrated, and Maxim, to name a few. $50,000 a night, limited to about 20 nights a year.Contact Phil's agent Brian Balsbaugh for any other inquiries.
I think its a mistake to believe you know exactly (and only) what changes "someone like phil". I have seen just about every poker show on tv (thanks tivo), which includes tons of appearances by Phil, but I have no idea why he may have changed. Maybe he was just in a good mood that day? Maybe a bad mood the other day of filming? Sure maybe DN doesn't know the contractual agreements that some players have, but I value his opinion and thoughts on it a bit more as someone who is in front of the cameras with Phil, not just a viewer like us. I would also imagine the players discuss things like this probably off camera quite a bit, as they all seem like friends for the most part.
Im sorry if you read anything I wrote and saw that "I KNOW EXACTLY." What I wrote was that watching the show, "I CAN ONLY ASSUME" something has changed phil and money appears to be the only thing that changes this guy. He brags about how much he has (dont all poker players do that though?), but definitely played the first week differently. Thats all Im saying.

Let us all keep in mind that NBC does not need to get particularly generous outside of offering national television exposure and some minor perks. There is no shortage of top players that would jump (twenty feet ...) to be on an NBC poker television show, and Phil knows this. Phil is a former world champion and famous in his own right, ... so that earns him the advantage of being asked first, along with a slew of top pros. The "B List professional players", all eagerly waiting in the wings, are great players, but are not 'up there' yet in fame to be asked. If Phil started asking for too much, or a special appearance fee, he runs the risk of being told "Ok, you are out" not by the direct organizers of the NBC event, but by the executive producer that has a steady diet of dealing with Hollywood stars with egos the size of Jupiter.The line up looks good for the Heads Up Championship, and with luck Daniel will win it, so the key question remains:When does FCP run the contest for predicting the results of the Heads Up Championship? Winner gets to lose a Heads Up match with Daniel sounds like a great first prize to me!

Isn't one of the reasons Hellmuth wasn't in the Professional Poker League that he wanted to be paid his "appearance fee" and, when he couldn't get it, he pulled out or they pushed him out for asking, one or the other?Phil thinks more like and entertainer than a poker player these days...

I think the $50K fee you are alluding to about Hellmuth isn't about Poker Afer Dark; it's about the personal fees that HE charges individually to either host a poker party or do a one on one session. Hellmuth mentioned on the show that his personal appearance is $50K a night, and that was the reason why if him and Antonio played heads up, that it would have to be for more money because he would be the favorite and he would need to play for more money to make it worth his while :club:
You are correct sir.