Cash Or Tourneys?

What is your favorite game to play cash or tourneys? I love getting to the final table, theres probably nothing more exciting in poker. But I hate the fact that almost every time you play in a tournament your somewhat disapointed. I mean even if you get second your a little pissed. That's why I would say that my favorite would be cash games.

I play all kinds of games, sng's, cash, tourneys, but I find nl cash games to be too much of a grind.

I much prefer cash games to be honest.. I only play low stakes 0.25/0/50 NL but its plenty exiting enough for me. In fact I won my biggest pot ever the other day which was $70.. my heart was pounding like a ************. I have never had that sort of feeling from a sit n go game. Tourneys can last for hours and you don't even cash so for me its cash games!

In the same time it takes to win/place in a tournament, I've found I can earn MUCH more playing cash games with the same initial investment. I don't know if it's playing style or what, but it's always been true for me. I don't like the idea of risking playing for hours in a tourney with little or nothing to show for it, either. That's the real drag...LOLTournaments remind me of a 9 to 5 job: lots of work, minimal reward, whereas cash games are like being a freelance contractor.

I really don't mind busting out on tourneys becuase I understand the risk/ reward that comes with say pushing and trying to double up late in the tourney and once I do I can just rip them apart. 1/3 times I will win and ft the sucker. Busting out in tourneys never really bothers me, but then I have sng's to grind out again if I run bad.

I really don't mind busting out on tourneys becuase I understand the risk/ reward that comes with say pushing and trying to double up late in the tourney and once I do I can just rip them apart. 1/3 times I will win and ft the sucker. Busting out in tourneys never really bothers me, but then I have sng's to grind out again if I run bad.
Are you saying you Final Table 33% of the MTTs you play in?
Are you saying you Final Table 33% of the MTTs you play in?
nope I'm saying that when I get to the bubble and push j8 and get called by ak I win 33% of the time and final table it. Now if I could get to the bubble more often...
What is your favorite game to play cash or tourneys? I love getting to the final table, theres probably nothing more exciting in poker. But I hate the fact that almost every time you play in a tournament your somewhat disapointed. I mean even if you get second your a little pissed. That's why I would say that my favorite would be cash games.
Luckily, I prefer cash games to tournaments. I say "luckily" because cash games have a greater EV than MTTs.I've won three MTTs (a $10 re-buy, a $5 re-buy, and the $8500 Guranteed -- all on Bodog) and I have to say... the feeling I got from winning any of those was way better than any singular pot I've dragged in a cash game.But I've come to be realistic. I'm a good cash game player and a poor tournament player. I'm working on getting better, but cash games will always be my meat and potatoes. MTTs will simply be my lobster tails once or twice a year :club:
nope I'm saying that when I get to the bubble and push j8 and get called by ak I win 33% of the time and final table it. Now if I could get to the bubble more often...
Gotcha ;)That's how I originally read it, but then for some reason I talked myself into thinking differently. Probably because if you had really meant it, it would have been a way more interesting discussion than what game we like to play :club:
Luckily, I prefer cash games to tournaments. I say "luckily" because cash games have a greater EV than MTTs.I've won three MTTs (a $10 re-buy, a $5 re-buy, and the $8500 Guranteed -- all on Bodog) and I have to say... the feeling I got from winning any of those was way better than any singular pot I've dragged in a cash game.
That brings up an interesting psychological question: are players who concentrate on tournaments more motivated by the need to beat people and prove themselves than cash players? When you walk away from a high-stakes cash game way up, nobody cares but you--but when you win a bracelet, everybody thinks you're the man. Something to think about.

This may sound stupid but for me it is SnG's. This is because I don't have the bankroll to start playing MTT rebuys etc and for some reason I just cannot win cash games. I would like to play MTT's more but I need more money as a freerolled bankroll doesn't really allow this and they take like 4 hours. I don't mind MTT's live but in front of my computer for that long is not so nice.

That brings up an interesting psychological question: are players who concentrate on tournaments more motivated by the need to beat people and prove themselves than cash players? When you walk away from a high-stakes cash game way up, nobody cares but you--but when you win a bracelet, everybody thinks you're the man. Something to think about.
Yeah, I agree. This would make for a great new topic. I think it'd go to waste here. I have a lot of similar thoughts on the matter.I can probably count on one hand the poker players I know who don't let ego get in the way.
Yeah, I agree. This would make for a great new topic. I think it'd go to waste here. I have a lot of similar thoughts on the matter.I can probably count on one hand the poker players I know who don't let ego get in the way.
Okay, thanks--I'll do it. :club:

one thing i dont like about cash games is one close hand or bad beat and you can lose a LOT while in MTTs the most you can lose is your buy-in.

Cash is KingI just don't have the time for turnaments, with cash games I can play 20 hours or 20 min, it's up to me.

Cash is KingI just don't have the time for turnaments, with cash games I can play 20 hours or 20 min, it's up to me.
Same here. I can play cash games for as long as my focus and patience will allow me. Most of my problems with not making it deep in tournaments with larger fields is that I get tired of it after 2 or 3 hours and end up making a dumb play that costs me.In cash games I can play for as long or as short as I like and can still turn a profit. That's not to say I don't enjoy tournaments, I just have to be in the right mind-set going into them if I'm going to cash.

Cash games. I have the patience and discipline for them and they are WAY more profitable for me. I don't play many tournaments (aside from small home game SnGs) but I would love to improve my tourney game.

• 3 months later...

I think both cash game and tournament require skill be that different skill set for each. I feel cash game give a player more control over the game with less variance. I don't think bigger stack have edge over small stack in a cash game. In a cash game you looking to win money, in a tourney you have to out last a player to finish higher then them to earn money. I like cash game for this reason, every hand is a new hand on equal ground, in a tourney two player can go all in and one will have an edge on you from the start.Another big difference is that in a cash game "time is on your side" (i.e. the game favors the patient player)... however, in a tournament, depending on how fast the blinds are raised, "time is not on your side"... IMO poker is the kind of game that favors the patient over the impatient player in both cash and tournament play, but the degree to which it favors the patient is less than it is in a cash game situation.Also the income from tournaments is potentially greater but more erratic (more return, but with more variance/risk). Income from cash games may be less dramatic, but is more predictable. In a cash game it's not uncommon for 50% or more of the players to go home winners (especially if there's a big whale at the table), whereas in tournaments usually no more than around 10% of the players go home winners...Since the first goal of a professional player is income rather than action, IMO a pro should structure the majority of their play around the more reliable cash game, with a smaller percentage of their action in tournaments

I like SNG's/Tourneys a lot better, because a more methodical approach can be used. I know you can't play 100% the same every time, but a LAG style in turbo SNG's/MTT's fares worse in tourneys than it does in cash games, I've noticed. I have a very methodical approach to $25SNG's, and it's been profitable lately, but I still haven't got great at cash games, because they're so different.

one thing i dont like about cash games is one close hand or bad beat and you can lose a LOT while in MTTs the most you can lose is your buy-in.
Ditto for me, I am on a limited budget and this controls how much I can lose on any given night!I have friends who have lost paychecks trying to win back their losses in cash games!
I don't know, a year ago I think this statement would be correct, but recently cash game players have been getting a lot of attention, what with HSP, the online games on FT and other sites, the Cardrunners website, etc.