MP is tag, serious playerBB is unknowncheck up.I raise this about 70% of the time preflop.PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)Preflop: Me is UTG+2 with as.gif, td.gif. 2 folds, Me calls, 2 folds, MP3 calls, 3 folds, BB checks.Flop: (3.50 SB) js.gif, th.gif, 9c.gif(3 players)BB bets, Me raises, MP3 folds, BB calls.Turn: (3.75 BB) 7h.gif(2 players)BB checks, Me bets, BB calls.River: (5.75 BB) 6s.gif(2 players)BB checks, Me checks.Final Pot: 5.75 BB

Raise or fold preflop.
says who?(I probably R/C/F with a rate of 65/25/10 from EP.)I had colected a few blinds recently and was not looknig to get 3-bet here by some sheriff.Anyway, quit thse absolutes, please!
says who?(I probably R/C/F with a rate of 65/25/10 from EP.)I had colected a few blinds recently and was not looknig to get 3-bet here by some sheriff.Anyway, quit thse absolutes, please!
You're so ****ing difficult lately.You think it's bad to be 3-bet by a sheriff?What's the difference? He 3-bets you with a worse hand? That's a good thing, no?Raise or fold preflop. That's not an absolute, you have no options.What does limping achieve?
invites A7 to call me downno, but seriously, doesn't Sklansky say its ok with AT?
Playing by books is sooooooo 3 years ago. lolSeriously. The games have changed immeasuably since any Sklansky book.I raise AT here because it makes it infinitely easier to play postflop, and ATo is definitely not a hand I want to play in a multiway pot.
I raise AT here because it makes it infinitely easier to play postflop, and ATo is definitely not a hand I want to play in a multiway pot.
You sure its' easier to play post flop in a raised pot, often OOP?
Yes, although it depends on table dynamics, certainly.
Then what hands are you playing and not rasing from EP, first in?(remember, I USUALLY raise here, just don't like absolutes especially among vets)

seriously, lets get this back to the flop and river.the flop especially is far more important than the preflopin 100 yrs if they dig up this post, I'd hate the debate about AT preflop to be what mattered

Then what hands are you playing and not rasing from EP, first in?(remember, I USUALLY raise here, just don't like absolutes especially among vets)
Depends on table dynamics. If the table likes to limp a lot, I'll like lots like QJs, JTs, KJs, etc, J9s, T9s even, hands that play multiway. If raises are getting lots of folds, and I can assume I'll be 3 handed or so, I'll raise with ATo. I fold it a lot up front though, especially at loose tables.I don't understand your whole trip about not talking in absolutes. It's clear to me that raising is better than limping. And in every normal situation, it holds. It goes without saying that you could come up with some random one off situation where limping could be better, but that's not the point of these boards.

I think when it comes to offsuit non-pairs it is best to just raise or fold because they do play like **** multiway. They make good one pair hands that have a lot more value headsup or 3ways.Postflop I think the only options are to play it like you did or fold the flop. Are there any others that we should be seriously considering?

seriously, lets get this back to the flop and river.the flop especially is far more important than the preflopin 100 yrs if they dig up this post, I'd hate the debate about AT preflop to be what mattered
Preflop is the biggest decision in this hand.Postflop is good, as I stated before. If you think he's only betting with top pair though, you can just fold. If not, raising is standard, and best, since lots of cards can hurt us. Same reason for betting the turn. On the river, there's little value in a bet, a missed draw folds, a jack always calls, while a T usually calls, but not always, smaller pairs don't always call, etc. While we may get a call from a worse hand, it's a lot less likely than getting a call from a better hand, imo.*************Also, it annoys me that I keep giving you reasons for why raising/folding pf is better than limping, and I've yet to really hear any reason why you are limping here x% of the time (I guess you did provide 1). It's fine to say don't talk in absolutes, but there's no reason to give up an edge because you want to limp sometimes so it's not always a raise or a fold or whatever. Why are you limping? What justification do you have for it. To be honest, it seems like you just post these hands to start arguments over basic plays.

no, I play it this way.I dont play it this way just to post.I really think about my plays and don't assume because you have played a ton of poker that we dismiss sklansky .I disagree that pf is most important.Moneyball, imo, newer players need more discussion on the flop, I can see arguments for all threee plays

no, I play it this way.I dont play it this way just to post.I really think about my plays and don't assume because you have played a ton of poker that we dismiss sklansky .I disagree that pf is most important.Moneyball, imo, newer players need more discussion on the flop, I can see arguments for all threee plays
Actually, I could see myself playing the flop differently too.Bleh. It's a crappy flop. I'd probably be more apt to call on a dryer board. Here I like a raise to protect our hand if we're ahead, and we can get to a cheaper showdown. I fold if BB has been only betting strong hands postflop.With respect to the Sklansky thing, I don't dismiss him, but I move beyond anything of his that I've read.
yeah, I'm the same way with Leonardo de Vinci's stuff :club:
*disclaimer - I haven't read anything other than SSHE, a couple sections of HEFAP, and a small section of TOP.What exactly does DS say on AT in tight aggressive online games?
Yeah.Is there any reason why limping would be better than raising, as a second best option? In your opinion?
Folding is my 3rd option because I like to play hands.If I played 4 tables this would be an easier fold.But...I would not want to say boredom is why playing is better than foldingIt is always, along with 33 and 22 my most marginal winner.I think in weak loose games it makes it easier to take the hand down post flop or get away from.
If the ubiquitous "they" ever dig up this post, I'm sure their reaction is going to be something akin to, "Why the fuck would anyone think we care about any of this shit? Now where the hell is my flying car and space-suit?"As for the hand, I think postflop is good. And I agree with the basic analysis suggesting that we boost or drop this hand. First in I'm usually raising it here, for the obvious reasons. My hand plays better with fewer players. The table looks to be playing weakish/tightish. Limping makes it weird to play postflop. I can be folding this hand from EP alot, too. I generally avoid open-limping with weakish aces, because if we're isolated we're in a tough spot, and we may end up putting quite a few bets in with no idea where we're at. It seems like, one way or another, we're going to lose value- either from putting in bets when we're behind or missing bets when we're ahead- by open-limping here.In regards to the "there are no absolutes in poker" thing, that's true, but when you take a non-standard line there usually has to be a good reason for it. The burden of proof here, if I may call it that, is on Actuary. There are plenty of good reasons to raise or fold here, but I'm unconvinced that limping this hand a third of the time is optimal. If it's for meta-game purposes, then say that (do you want to showdown a solid hand while limping from EP, to discourage iso-raises from weaker players, and reinforce that your raising range is relatively tight?). If it's because you think your hand is disguised, and some of the other players are ripe to be exploited, say that. But don't say, "I don't believe in absolutes. Explain your reasoning." If you're taking a table-specific or game-specific line with the hand, it's tough for anyone to say anything worthwhile, because we aren't at the table, you know? Wang
In regards to the "there are no absolutes in poker" thing, that's true, but when you take a non-standard line there usually has to be a good reason for it. The burden of proof here, if I may call it that, is on Actuary. There are plenty of good reasons to raise or fold here, but I'm unconvinced that limping this hand a third of the time is optimal. If it's for meta-game purposes, then say that (do you want to showdown a solid hand while limping from EP, to discourage iso-raises from weaker players, and reinforce that your raising range is relatively tight?). If it's because you think your hand is disguised, and some of the other players are ripe to be exploited, say that. But don't say, "I don't believe in absolutes. Explain your reasoning." If you're taking a table-specific or game-specific line with the hand, it's tough for anyone to say anything worthwhile, because we aren't at the table, you know? Wang
zach thanks you

Say we Raise and are 3-bet.Flop comes A86 and we are HU.How have we saved money or made it easier to play?Are we c/r - folding to a 3 bet.Or playing in WA/WB ?Or we get it 4 handed for 2 bets.Aside from sometimes taknig the blinds, I'm not sure how it's easier, espically against loose passoves who will not let you know where you are post flop

Hand 1, we're playing wa/wb.Hand 2, if we get called in 4 spots, we are assuming we have the best hand, thus it was a value raise preflop. If we hit the flop we bet, if not we can c/c or c/f depending on the board.