This might be an interesting thread, post stories about what well known athletes you have met and good stories involving the meeting.My List...BJ Armstrong (former Bulls guard & UOI alum) - Met at a basketball camp, really nice guy.Kelvan Cato (current NBA PF and former ISU center) - actually met him at my friends house playing basketball, Kelvan was taking his older sister out on a date. He game me a 6 pack of Heinekan, even though I was 16. Real laid back guy.Scottie Pippen - Met him in a airport, had a brief conversation and got his autograph after being introduced by BJ, who remembered me from the camp that took place over a year before.Joe Carter - Blue Jays World Series Hero - Met him while he was playing for the Iowa Cubs during a charity event my mom was working at. Gave me his cap and autographed it for me.Roger Craig - Met him while he was playing at the University of Nebraska, I was pretty young at the time and he and a few other players were at some park doing something. They took a bunch of us out and taught us how to play football (all 3-6 year olds). My mom has photos though I don't really remember it.Dean Smith - Met him at aconference that was being held about college athletics a few years ago right after he retired.**Edit** Remembered a few moreBo Jackson - Met him during batting practice of a Royals game. Met a coupel other Royals who played at the time, nobody notible I remember though.Ozzie Smith - Met a few of the players on the Cardinals during a weekend trip to St Louis while we were out to dinner. He was my favorite baseball player at the time so it was a pretty big thrill to get the wizards autograph.Thats all I can think off off the top of my head, though I know of a few others.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gordie Howe- if you don't know who he is you should be shotEric Devendorf- not bigtime yet, Syracuse freshman, went to my high school, actually played against him a few times a few years agoMet Kris Draper, Maltby, and Tomas Holmstrom in a mall in Detroit a couple years ago.Plus, I peed next to Paul Davis in winter. I had a banquet at the Michigan State Hotel, and they were staying there watching film.

I met Brian Gionta when he brought the Stanley Cup home for a visit. Ryan Miller was in the stands for a Sabres game I attended earlier this year (he was injured at the time) and we talked a bit. Let's see, I waited on Eric Moulds, Ryan Denney, London Fletcher, Aaron Schobel, Takeo Spikes, Lawyer Milloy and Coy Wire (all Buffalo Bills) when they came into the restaurant I worked in during training camp last year. I went to high school with Tim Redding (former pitcher for the Astros and Yankees, no idea who he plays for now). That's all I can really think of at the moment, the rest are former Bills role players and minor league hockey guys. I haven't really met anyone hugely famous, I doubt I would know what to say anyway.

Sarunas Marciulonius. Met him at a restaurant/bar while he was with the Warriors and my friends and I were in high school. We ordered him a Shirley Temple since we couldn't order alcohol. He thought it was funny; seemed like a nice guy.My grandfather sat next to Larry Bird on a commercial flight once. He said his knees were in his chest because of the lack of legroom.Played blackjack with a bunch of LA Kings: Adam Deadmarsh, Ziggy Palffy, Josef Stumpel, a defenseman that I can't remember. The Kings play a preseason game in Vegas every year and I used to go when I lived in LA. They were playing at a $10 table at the MGM. Hockey players just seem like the most down to earth athletes.

i shot a music video and a movie with the 3-6 Mafia, i know, they arent althetes, but killer name drop now that they won an oscar.

i shot a music video and a movie with the 3-6 Mafia, i know, they arent althetes, but killer name drop now that they won an oscar.
That was the best line of the Oscars..."For those of you keeping score at home, it's now Martin Scorcese 0, 3-6 Mafia 1..."Stewart pwns, I hope they let him do it again next year.
Eric Devendorf- not bigtime yet, Syracuse freshman, went to my high school, actually played against him a few times a few years ago
He's bigtime enough to me :club: I met Otis Hill (an old SU player from their 96 final four team) at the airportOn my birthday (March 28, 2003) I went to eat at the mall in Albany about 5 hours before SU was to play Auburn in the NCAA regionals (we had tickets to the games too :D ), and the entire team was just chillin right there eating. I met Anna Kournikova (swear to god) at a restaurant in the same mall when my friend waited on her. He called me and made me go see her lol. I didnt go up to her and talk her ear off, just passed by, we made eye contact and smiled at each other. She pretty much wants me I know.

Dan MarinoJohn ElwayJohnny UnitasMichael JordanScottie PippenShaqDwayne WadeAlonzo MourningGlenn RiceNat MooreFrank SinatraOJ SimpsonLawrence TaylorJim BrownMark DuperMark ClaytonBob GrieseDon ShulaPudge RodriguezJeff ConineGary SheffieldDerek JeterDontrelle WillisAJ BurnettJosh BeckettMark McGwireSammy SosaLynn SwannTerry BradshawFranco HarrisBen RoethlisbergerJack NicklausTom WatsonLee TrevinoTiger WoodsVijay SinghGreg NormanErnie ElsSergio GarciaNick CageAndy GarciaChris TuckerWill SmithDaniel NegreanuDoyle BrunsonTodd BrunsonBarry GreensteinJen HarmonPhil IveyErik LindgrenChris MoneymakerLisa Marie PresleyBritney SpearsJustin TimberlakeMany Many More...... just the ones I remember off the top of my head. Most I met through Golf or through other celebs. Whats funny is the one person I hope to meet one day (lives in Miami) and havent yet is Jimmy Page.

Oh yeah, speaking of Golf, I have to add Rich Beem to my list. Got his autograph when the PGA Championship was in Rochester a couple of years ago.

Football:Ditka...great coach, douchebag in personBrian Piccolo... a real heroGale Sayers...one of the bestVirgil CarterDan Hampton...a wild manRoland Harper...played as a FB, now more like a D tackleOtis Wilson...still in tip top shapeMike Singletary...very quietMike BrownDavid TerrellAnthony ThomasDick Jauron...classy guy, wish him well in BuffaloTom ThayerMike PyleDoug Buffone Most were at football camps when I was younger, or dinners or Bears mini-camps.Golf:Chip BeckTim Simpson...almost caddied for him on the tour, college insteadMike SullivanJason BuhaPlayed with Sullivan and Buha in pro-ams here in Chicago. Simpson was dating a friend and he came by our house. Beck is his friend.Poker(atheletes??):Ron Rose...moved to my table and busted out in 5 minutesTJ Cloutier...one tough SOBJR Bellande...much like Notre Dame, you either like him or hate him. No like.Marcel Luske...lot of fun to play withAlan Boston...crazy Singletary eyes, I busted him outDavid Levi...busted me out, solid player; good imitationsRandy Jensen...played for 15 minutes and busted outDan Alspach...goofJohn Pham...see JensenAll were from playing in tourny's in Vegas last year.Basketball:Doc Rivers...had a Business Law class with him at MU, always went to class when the team was in town.

My list sucks, but I'm bored...Mario Lemieux - met him in an elevator at the igloo once, and skated with him at a camp onceWalter Gretzky - coached Uni of Pitt's roller hockey team with him last year. Weird story, if any hockey fans want to hear about it, PM me.Tyler Palko - Pitt's QB, probably most famous for dropping the F-bomb on NBC after the Pitt/ND game. Lives 1/2 mile from me, met him for the first time when he was probably 6.Drew Brees - while he was Purdue's QBI guess that's all I got.

Here are some of the hockey players I have met. I won't include junior players like Marc Staal and Benoit Pouliot :club: .Gordie Howe - met him at a card show in Toronto.Bobby Hull - met him for the first time at Dixie Arena where he was watching his son play (not Brett). I ran into him again when he was doing a signing at a Zeller's in St. John's Newfoundland.Brendan Shanahan - I played minor hockey with him for a couple of years.Wendel Clark - met him at the Hard Rock in Toronto at Daniel's Protege announcement party.Doug Gilmour - met him at the same place as Wendel Clark.Johny Bucyk - met him at a card show in Toronto.Darryl Sittler - met him at a card show in Toronto.Nik Antropov - met him at a card show in Toronto.Alyn McCauley - met him at a card show in Toronto.Terry Ryan - He played in the old WHA with the Minnesota Fighting Saints. His son, Terry Ryan Jr., was drafted and played a few games with the Montreal Canadiens. Bob Gainey - met him at the Toronto airport. I was about 7 and saw him standing by a wall. I was too shy to approach him so my mother dragged me over and we got his autoraph and spoke for a little bit. Two things really stand out: he was very polite and he had the largest thigh muscles I had ever seen in my life (he was wearing shorts).Wayne Gretzky - I was in Toronto working for the summer and my girlfriend had come up to visit. After seeing her off at the airport gate I was walking through the airport when this guy calls out "Hey Wayne!" in my direction. I turned and saw Gretzky walking with a couple of airport staff. He was on his way to Montreal. Strangely enough, I never did ask for his autograph.Terry Witzu - he was the dentist for the Edmonton Oilers when they won all the Cups. He's my dentist now and boy does he have stories! He says Messier is the best modern era player ever by the way. I also met a bunch of Toronto Blue Jays (Ernie Whitt, Lloyd Moseby, Damaso Garcia, etc) one day when they were signing autographs for fans before a game.I also met some poker dude named Daniel Negreanu. Poker is a sport isn't it?*Edit*Andy Bathgate - met him at an oldtimer's game when I was a kid. he gave me a puck. Eddie Shack - met him at an oldtimer's game.

Adding Jason Bonsignore to my list. He was a local hockey star whoplayed briefly for Edmonton and Tampa Bay, basically did nothing notable in the NHL. I was a goalie when I played, and he showed up at a camp I was attending one summer. The fact that he couldn't manage to score on a 16yo kid playing club hockey might speak volumes about why his NHL career failed...lol.

I've met most of the NJ Devils at their practices, which are usually open to the public. I also work for an independent baseball team in NJ(basically a minor league, except unaffiliated with MLB). And have met a few well known ballplayers over the yearsJose Canseco - played in 2001 with his brother Ozzie, both were kinda jerksRickey Henderson - played 2003, 2004, and was a pretty cool guyJose Lima - played in 2003, definitely a cool and funny personJohn Rocker - sporting a ponytail, was pretty cool, didn't really say much(which may be a surprise, lol)There's a few more lesser know ML'ers but I spare the details!