Bankroll And Other Stuff

hey everyone,"first time, long time" anyway I have been playing online poker for little over a year with play money and thinking of making the switch to real money. I plan to start off small and work my way up. Anyway, whats the basic rule(s) on bankroll management? I plan to start off with $20-$40. Any good software programs (free) out there for the people who do this as a hobby and not as a living?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer - it depends.Here's a really good article on Pocketfives about bankroll management that should answer most of your questions concerning your bankroll.article
thanks mate. Any good free poker software out there to track results? or should I stick with the ol fashioned notebook
thanks mate. Any good free poker software out there to track results? or should I stick with the ol fashioned notebook
Ummm....I have a question.....If you can afford to 'start' playing at $20/$40, can't you afford to buy a good piece of tracking software?
I think he means a BR of 20-40 dollars not playing 20/40 stakes, or at least I hope...
LOL...okay. that makes sense then.I would suggest saving up at least $100 to start. Anything less than that....what's the point?
Learning the game at stakes he can easily afford.
I'm not rich by any means, but if you can't afford to start with $100 BR, then you shouldn't be playing.What I mean by that is that you're not really learning the game playing at .01/.02 stakes. No one cares at all about those stakes so you're not getting a valuable learning experience.Not to say that .10/.25 or even .25/.50 is much better, but it is a little better.Hey, it's just my opinion. We're all entitled to ours.
I'm not rich by any means, but if you can't afford to start with $100 BR, then you shouldn't be playing.What I mean by that is that you're not really learning the game playing at .01/.02 stakes. No one cares at all about those stakes so you're not getting a valuable learning experience.Not to say that .10/.25 or even .25/.50 is much better, but it is a little better.Hey, it's just my opinion. We're all entitled to ours.
I disagree. OPs main concern right now is getting as much experience as possible, and since op will most likely be a losing player, then it might as well be at the smallest stakes possible. Experience is extremely valuable right now for him/her.
You realize how stupid you sound trying to differentiate between $40 and $100 roll?
Exactly my point...If you can afford $40, you can afford $100.There is a big difference in playing .01/.02 and playing .25/.50.
Exactly my point...If you can afford $40, you can afford $100.There is a big difference in playing .01/.02 and playing .25/.50.
how can your stakes increase by a 25x, when your roll only increases by 2.5x ?now that's leverage.You make no sense
how can your stakes increase by a 25x, when your roll only increases by 2.5x ?now that's leverage.You make no sense
Well, you are right....in actuality you should have a bankroll of $150 - $200 to play .25/.50.With a $100 BR you should be playing .16/.32, but since there is no such game, I rounded up.My only point was that there is no sense in trying to "learn" the game at .01/.02 level. Again, right or wrong, just my opinion.

I don't really agree.Just because some players play carelessly at 0.01/0.02 means that you can't learn the game.If you play just to learn to beat a certain level, that's all you will ever accomplish.I mean, 1c/2c is different from 25c/50c which is different from 2/4 which is different from 3/6... 5/10... 100/200... etc.The game is still the same. The same principles still apply.It appears to be the same stupid argument I run into when people don't think online and live poker are the same game.- Zach

I see nothing wrong with starting small and spending less than $50 to give it a shot. Real money at lower limits isn't going to be much differen't than play money. I tried Stars after getting kicked out of Pacific (US player) with $25 and it was enough to get rolling. I played two $10 NL tables with $5 buy-ins and worked it up to $200, then moved to $25 NL from there. You'll be underfunded but if you play smart and avoid a bad run then you should be fine.

I don't really agree.Just because some players play carelessly at 0.01/0.02 means that you can't learn the game.If you play just to learn to beat a certain level, that's all you will ever accomplish.I mean, 1c/2c is different from 25c/50c which is different from 2/4 which is different from 3/6... 5/10... 100/200... etc.The game is still the same. The same principles still apply.It appears to be the same stupid argument I run into when people don't think online and live poker are the same game.- Zach
Cool....so everyone can have a different opinion and the world still goes 'round. That's what's so great.But online and live are different...Yes, the mechanics are the same, but the game is totally different. There are so many more factors that go into a live game than online.
Cool....so everyone can have a different opinion and the world still goes 'round. That's what's so great.But online and live are different...Yes, the mechanics are the same, but the game is totally different. There are so many more factors that go into a live game than online.
eqhgpwrk;gmj;wgm;wqlgweg Whatever.
eqhgpwrk;gmj;wgm;wqlgweg Whatever.
I just don't get why everyone on here has to think that their point of view is the Almighty Word...Different people think differently. We don't all agree...Get over it.If, in your opinion, that you don't think and online game and a live game plays completely different, then maybe for you it doesn't....But when I play, live and online, I see, and play, a different game.
I just don't get why everyone on here has to think that their point of view is the Almighty Word...Different people think differently. We don't all agree...Get over it.If, in your opinion, that you don't think and online game and a live game plays completely different, then maybe for you it doesn't....But when I play, live and online, I see, and play, a different game.
Do you play the same game at every live table?Do you play the same game at every online table?Do you ever adjust to table texture when playing live?Do you ever adjust to table texture when playing online?Do you see the similarities?You make the higest +EV play, either way.
I disagree with a lot of the things mentioned in this post. First off, it is perfectly feasible to start with a BR of less than $100. While the games at .01/.02 are clearly not the same quality that you would find at higher limits, there are still some principles you can learn. The most important things at these levels are record keeping and bankroll management. You can slowly build a bankroll and move up in stakes as you become more comfortable.I also consider .25/.50 to be a very, very different game than you will find in anything below 25 NL. I started with a BR of 4.50 made from freerolls and have run it up to 544.30 as of now, while slowly moving up in stakes and experiencing all of the levels. While it might not seem like much to higher stakes players, I feel pretty accomplished and have learned a lot of important things that will help me as I approach higher stakes. I learned to consistently beat each level and I am pretty much destroying 50 NL (Right now I'm averaging over 18 BB/100 over the past few weeks - a combination of running well over a short period of time and solid play).I also feel that it is very important to not just deposit $100 and jump into a level you aren't prepared for. By working your way up from the bottom, you move at your own pace and (hopefully) won't feel like you are in way over your head. I also totally disagree that "no one cares at all about those stakes." While obviously play tends to be more reckless when the amount of money seems to be very miniscule, the people who don't care end up feeding the people who actually do care.Just my .02, FWIW.
I just don't get why everyone on here has to think that their point of view is the Almighty Word...Different people think differently. We don't all agree...Get over it.
Apparently you think the same. Otherwise, you would explain your opinion, as Zach has numerous times, instead of saying everyone can have an opinion, but their opinion is wrong, as you have done here.
Apparently you think the same. Otherwise, you would explain your opinion, as Zach has numerous times, instead of saying everyone can have an opinion, but their opinion is wrong, as you have done here.
Makes about as much sense as saying it's pointless to start with less than $100.