world class rummy play?

I was playing in a gin tourney recently and was up against a fellow who said he was a "world class" gin player, yet during one specific play he knocked (a knock cache which I considered a meld) and he failed to pick up a discard to fill it. His failure to 'sweep the floor' made me think less of his "world class" play.

I was playing in a gin tourney recently and was up against a fellow who said he was a "world class" gin player, yet during one specific play he knocked (a knock cache which I considered a meld) and he failed to pick up a discard to fill it. His failure to 'sweep the floor' made me think less of his "world class" play.
Uhm, yeah. What he said.My grandfather paid his way through law school playing rummy in the 30's, he was pretty good.

I always wondered about this game. I don't know any one that plays it, but I have always wanted to try it. What is this game like? Where can I learn to play it?

I always wondered about this game. I don't know any one that plays it, but I have always wanted to try it. What is this game like? Where can I learn to play it?
Well, Yahoo Games used to have a free online version. It was the first game I ever learned, played it with my father for years. Cribbage was the only other card game I played until I started playing hold em about 14 months ago. But try Yahoo, they probably still have their version up, with rules and everything.
I think Chip Reese is a world class rummy player. For real, yo.
Word up. Ungar was decent, too.Tim, THANK YOU for changing the bathwater.
Tim, THANK YOU for changing the bathwater.
LOL. Thanks.I changed my avatar a couple weeks ago, but this one is an homage to Smash. Probably won't keep it for long.
I gotta get me one. Just never can think of anything good.
That's an understatement.
That's an understatement.
Which one? :-)

Ungar walked into Vegas for the first time primarily as a Gin player. 6 months later he couldn't find a game because everyone in town was convinced he couldn't be beaten. Pretty decent is a serious understatement to how good he was at that game. It's like calling Texas "pretty big".

It's like calling Texas "pretty big".
Alaska is bigger.
So is Africa, but I think you get my point.
Asia is bigger.
Infinity times Infinity to the infinity power is bigger. I win.
It's like calling Texas "pretty big".
Alaska is bigger.
So is Africa, but I think you get my point.
Asia is bigger.
Infinity times Infinity to the infinity power is bigger. I win.
Fuck.
Ungar walked into Vegas for the first time primarily as a Gin player. 6 months later he couldn't find a game because everyone in town was convinced he couldn't be beaten. Pretty decent is a serious understatement to how good he was at that game. It's like calling Texas "pretty big".
and kinda like saying I'm "kinda tiny" down there. I know, I was just kidding. :club:

Unger was so good at Gin because he had a photographic memory. He could remember every card that was picked up or discarded, and he always knew what you needed or didn't need.Gin is my best card game, but there's alot of people I wouldn't gamble with.

Read the Unger book in a span of 36 hours from start to finish. Yes I want a cookie. The guy was basically unbeatable in Gin his whole life, by his claim and everyone else who ever knew him or saw him play, or heard of someone who saw him play.He demolished the guy who was considered the world champion by shutting him out.