Worst Card In The Deck Facing An Overbet

This is the villain's first orbit at the table, no reads.I have the table coveredBlinds .25/.50I'm dealt K :club: Q :D on the button.UTG limps, UTG+1 limps, CO limps, I raise to $2, folds to UTG who calls, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.Flop: Q :D J :D Q :D Pot (7.25)checks to me, I bet 5, UTG calls, CO foldspot (17.25)Turn A :heart:UTG leads into me for exactly 20, and has like 20.25 or so leftWhat do I do?Comments on previous streets welcome.

Raise bigger preflop. Pot raise would be $3.25, which I think is reasonable.I can't see you beaing ahead here, and you have poor drawing odds and poor implied odds (at best you are getting 2/1).I let it go, albeit reluctantly.

Raise bigger preflop. Pot raise would be $3.25, which I think is reasonable.I can't see you beaing ahead here, and you have poor drawing odds and poor implied odds (at best you are getting 2/1).I let it go, albeit reluctantly.
Makes sense... WTH takes this line though? Limp-call-call-overbet?
Any hand that just made a straight or flush as well as worse queens sometimes, like QT.

I agree with AK and simo as playedI don't like preflop in this hand. I think I limp along as well. A raise especially that small does nothing but bloat a pot in position with QKo. If you wanna to control of limpers and maybe get it HU or 3 handed I raise to $4.5ish. I actually can't believe blinds folded cause with 3 limpers and a small raise I'm playing almost any 2 out of the blinds. We have position of course but with 3 limpers I'm not liking my chances on almost every flop. Say flop was a complete blank for you something like 4-7-J or 2-3-9 what is your play? Almost always gettn c/r ed or c/c and dumping more chips drawing slim and dumping chips pf and on the flop.

I think I limp along as well.
I never limp from the button... ever. And I raise anything I'm not folding in an unraised pot, which is a veeeeeeery wide range of hands. I can understand advocating betting more to try to play heads up even if it's usually dominated by hands that play with that big of a bet... but I'll never limp from the button ew.You're right, i created a big pot in position. The problem is?

Yup there isn't much value making a small raise on the button with that hand. If you're going to raise, make it 5-6*BB after 3 limpers, otherwise just call.

I never limp from the button... ever. And I raise anything I'm not folding in an unraised pot, which is a veeeeeeery wide range of hands. I can understand advocating betting more to try to play heads up even if it's usually dominated by hands that play with that big of a bet... but I'll never limp from the button ew.You're right, i created a big pot in position. The problem is?
Limping from the button is not ew. Honestly it's effective at times and saves you unnecessary chips.The problem with creating a big pot in position is that your holding is minimal. Almost something like negative implied odds. I would be much happier with your play if you had a hand like 78s, 56s, 9Ts, 98s etc. Also like I stated above what do you do except spew when you miss.
OPEN limping from the button is ew.Limping behind others isn't.
Again, what he said.Raising any hand that you'll play from the button is honestly a decent leak. You're creating a big pot with marginal holdings and if people pick up on the fact that you're aways raising 89o after 3 limpers, they're gonna make your life very difficult.
The problem with creating a big pot in position is that your holding is minimal. Almost something like negative implied odds. I would be much happier with your play if you had a hand like 78s, 56s, 9Ts, 98s etc. Also like I stated above what do you do except spew when you miss.
Not everyone C-bets every flop :club: It also depends on the players in front etc. I think the better question is what I do on a flop like K-J-2 with 2 of a suit... those create the tougher spots on the flop from my exp.I group A-xs, K-xs, weak broadway combos, and low pp's into this type of ranges from the button.SC's, Suited gappers, big aces, big pairs, and random trash I raise bigger.I know I don't play preflop standard here and in many spots, and I know the standard mechanical TAG way to play it and I do use it in full ring games. I'm not going to bother to explain/defend my pf selection bc I know ppl hate it :D

negreanu has open limped on the button many many times before so i wouldn't say its a bad play...if you don't believe me type in negreanu/matusow on youtube and search for the tournament in which they both play 9/7 and are chipleaders in a tournament. They both look really young, anyway, i sometimes make an overbet when i get a made hand to make it seem like i am stealing because people see an overbet and almost always think you are trying to steal the pot away.

negreanu has open limped on the button many many times before so i wouldn't say its a bad play...if you don't believe me type in negreanu/matusow on youtube and search for the tournament in which they both play 9/7 and are chipleaders in a tournament. They both look really young, anyway, i sometimes make an overbet when i get a made hand to make it seem like i am stealing because people see an overbet and almost always think you are trying to steal the pot away.
FWIW, justifying open limping OTB or in the CO by saying "here's an example of where a pro did it..." is just bad. Professional players do lots of things that we don't do. Sometimes they're right to do it and sometimes they're wrong.There are very few things in poker that you can say with a lot of certainty, but something like "If you never open limped from the button, you wouldn't give up much of anything in the long run" is probably one of those things.
I never limp from the button... ever. And I raise anything I'm not folding in an unraised pot, which is a veeeeeeery wide range of hands. I can understand advocating betting more to try to play heads up even if it's usually dominated by hands that play with that big of a bet... but I'll never limp from the button ew.You're right, i created a big pot in positionwith a pretty strong hand. The problem is?
FYP, and yeah, I pretty much agree with you here. I don't mind building a pot here. if the flop blanks, you don't HAVE to C-bet, and you usually get to the turn for free anyway. I also never limp from the button and I never raise more than 4-5xBB preflop, and rarely more than 4. I raise a lot of hands to $2 in that spot, and I make a crapload of money from the button (according to PT)
FYP, and yeah, I pretty much agree with you here. I don't mind building a pot here. if the flop blanks, you don't HAVE to C-bet, and you usually get to the turn for free anyway. I also never limp from the button and I never raise more than 4-5xBB preflop, and rarely more than 4. I raise a lot of hands to $2 in that spot, and I make a crapload of money from the button (according to PT)
K-Q is not a strong hand naked.In fact it's a big trouble hand for a lot of beginners since it's usually overvalued.
K-Q is not a strong hand naked.In fact it's a big trouble hand for a lot of beginners since it's usually overvalued.
no, but it is pretty strong. You are usually in pretty good shape at a 50NL 6-max game with KQ after a couple of limpers.

For the results oriented...I took my entire time bank on this one because I was puzzled as to why he didn't just hit the pot button and took his time to overbet it on what was a scary card for anything betting that flop, since A-x hearts was impossible. I admit curiosity got the best of me and I shoved because I was just puzzled at anything that would do this besides a bluff/semibluff.He called instantly and turned over 10 hearts 9 diamonds and bricked the river...That being said I was and am pretty sure folding was correct and I just got lucky.

ban for brag post. :club:
Only because I excluded the part about me donking back his money later?And I honestly needed reassuring that this was supposed to be a fold before I got all results-oriented.
And I honestly needed reassuring that this was supposed to be a fold before I got all results-oriented.
No, you won so you didn't make a mistake. Nice hand. For real. :club:
Only because I excluded the part about me donking back his money later?And I honestly needed reassuring that this was supposed to be a fold before I got all results-oriented.
if you are going to lay down 3 of a kind ever this would seem to be the spot (short of 4 to a straight or 4 to a flush)I lay it down, or at least I say I would. :club: