The Official 2010 Election Thread

First lets talk about who's state party's candidate is the worse.I got Meg Whitman running for the Republican side for Governor.She started Ebay...and she's a lock for the crucial lesbian swing vote in CA.Recently it's been found out that she has had an illegal immigrant for a house keeper for the last 9 years. Once she decided to run, she 'discovered' that her house keeper was illegal so she fired her.Hey she's only worth about a $billion, you gotta expect her to save a few bucks where ever she can.That and saving gas by not driving to the polls to vote for most of her adult life. Yea..voting..not something she could bring herself to do.but the bad news is if she doesn't get in we get Jerry Brown, the nut case.Man how can the best state in the best country be so screwed up?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First lets talk about who's state party's candidate is the worse.
I think MN has an edge because we have three parties, and all three are terrible. Usually I can throw my protest vote to the Independent Party, but this year I'm thinking I'll just stay home, they are all so bad.
First lets talk about who's state party's candidate is the worse.I got Meg Whitman running for the Republican side for Governor.She started Ebay...and she's a lock for the crucial lesbian swing vote in CA.Recently it's been found out that she has had an illegal immigrant for a house keeper for the last 9 years. Once she decided to run, she 'discovered' that her
So, you're voting for Whitman I assume.
I think MN has an edge because we have three parties, and all three are terrible. Usually I can throw my protest vote to the Independent Party, but this year I'm thinking I'll just stay home, they are all so bad.
you're lucky to have another option and some competitiveness. I think minnesota is awesome for its kookiness.

I was thinking I'd start a mid-term election thread sometime this weekend. Fivethirtyeight.com is showing some interesting results lately. First, it looks like the House is a foregone conclusion. I even saw one analyst say 100 seat pickup is possible, although his methodology was "assume a miracle occurs". But 60-70 is pretty possible, and 45 looks like a lock.In the Senate, before the O'Connell thing in Delaware, 538 gave the R's about a 26% chance of taking the Senate. After Delaware, it dropped to around 12%. Now, it's back up to 22%. Several key races are moving the R's way.NDak, Arkansas, Indiana and PA are 4 easy pickups for the R's.Wisconsin, Colorado, Nevada, and Illinois are leaning toward Republican pickup. In Wisconsin, the gap is closing, though, and Nevada has been a tossup for a while. It seems like 538 is giving too much strength to Nevada R's, I'm not sure why.That leaves a few states as key states. West Va, Washington, CA and CT. West Va is moving rapidly Republican and will probably go to the R's. CT is moving rapidly Republican, but she still has a long way to go, and it may be a temporary spike (one poll did show a tie there). CA is moving Democrat, but that may also be just a spike after a Boxer ad binge.The thing to remember in all this is that 538 uses all the different polls, but most polls use registered voters. Only a couple use likely voters. Using likely voters favors R's, using registered voters favors Dems, especially in mid-terms. (Dems get lost on the way to the polls more often, or forget what day the election is.)It's been very interesting watching the trends. At this point, a small party jump in either direction could mean the difference of 3 or 4 seats. The Dems just had a moderate sized jump, but that is reversing again now. I still like Cane's side of the bet with BG, but I wouldn't bet very much on it. My personal guess is that the R's will pick up 9 seats, then have Lieberman as a swing vote.

you're lucky to have another option and some competitiveness. I think minnesota is awesome for its kookiness.
Yeah, I really like having three choices, although if the choices are as bad next time as they are this year, I may be forced to run for governor.
but the bad news is if she doesn't get in we get Jerry Brown, the nut case.
I don't think I can vote for either of these people. We are screwed. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to be governor right now though.
I still like Cane's side of the bet with BG, but I wouldn't bet very much on it. My personal guess is that the R's will pick up 9 seats, then have Lieberman as a swing vote.
Yea but he made it with knowledge and stuff. I just bet my side because I love my country.
Jerry Browne is a more conservative democrat. If a dem wins, it could be worse.
Dude, Boxter probably will get back in, Pelosi, and Jerry Brown..California better watch out, it might end up being the new New York.An overrated bloated pile of crap where democrats go to talk bad about real Americans.
Yea but he made it with knowledge and stuff. I just bet my side because I love my country.
hah.Yeah, it would just be too much for the GOP to regain both. They are running too many odd-ball candidates. Even Karl Rove knows that the GOP really needed that Delaware seat to re-take the Senate and that aint happening with anti-touch yoself lady.I think the most interesting race will be in Nevada, Harry Reid v. Sharon Angle. Obviously, the whole country is fed up with congressional Dems (they'll hate the GOPers soon enough of course) and Reid in particular....but Angle is very much one of those odd-balls who has said a lot of nutty stuff.It should be a good litmus test about how ready the country is to completely change how they elect politicians.For me, I am most interested in the Florida governor race. The Dem candidate is extremely meh, but her opponent is a health insurance company billionaire whose hospitals got slammed with a gigantic medicare fraud fine and spent 50 million on negative ads just to win a PRIMARY. Jeebus only knows how much he will spend now.....I have yet to see one positive ad from him. It's sad, but they are polling in a dead heat right now. I can understand why Rubio (the soon to be Senator) is so popular....he's Cuban, smart, experienced and his conservative bonafides are legit. (He is so anti-poker though, just saying) But Rick Scott is a ****ing joke and if he is our governor I give up.
First lets talk about who's state party's candidate is the worse.I got Meg Whitman running for the Republican side for Governor.She started Ebay...and she's a lock for the crucial lesbian swing vote in CA.Recently it's been found out that she has had an illegal immigrant for a house keeper for the last 9 years. Once she decided to run, she 'discovered' that her house keeper was illegal so she fired her.Hey she's only worth about a $billion, you gotta expect her to save a few bucks where ever she can.That and saving gas by not driving to the polls to vote for most of her adult life. Yea..voting..not something she could bring herself to do.but the bad news is if she doesn't get in we get Jerry Brown, the nut case.Man how can the best state in the best country be so screwed up?
outside of the weather you really don't have that much going for you...how did Reagan function there??

I'm leaning more towards Whitman right now. She ran a multi billion dollar business. Seems like she should be able to identify waste and be able to at least try and get rid of it. Plus I don't think she "owes" any favors to anyone since she ran the campaign with her own money (I could be mistaken on this point)

I'm leaning more towards Whitman right now. She ran a multi billion dollar business. Seems like she should be able to identify waste and be able to at least try and get rid of it. Plus I don't think she "owes" any favors to anyone since she ran the campaign with her own money (I could be mistaken on this point)
I might vote for her. But again, a RINO in office isn't a good thing for any long term gains.But Jerry Moonbeam Brown?How bad are things when Moonbeam is back?
I don't see how running a big business is much good practice for running a government entity. The point of a business is to make as much money as possible. That is not the point of government at all. Not owing anyone favors is a plus.At least she will be tough on illegals outside her own home though.
I don't see how running a big business is much good practice for running a government entity. The point of a business is to make as much money as possible. That is not the point of government at all. Not owing anyone favors is a plus.At least she will be tough on illegals outside her own home though.
Yes but knowing how to make "as much money as possible" tells me that you would at least know where to look for waste. IE if something is broke you either fix it, or get rid of it, not just keep pumping money into it until it "works". Also, she would know something of budgets and how to maybe make a budget work and start to see about fixing the broken pension system. For me, I like the idea of trading a pension for a traditional 401(k) plan. The government pension plans, at least in CA, are out of control and needs to be fixed in a hurry.
I don't see how running a big business is much good practice for running a government entity. The point of a business is to make as much money as possible. That is not the point of government at all.
Well, understanding the reality that big business in your state equals taxes and employment and as such keeping them in your state instead of driving them out is probably a good idea.But Ebay is a perfect business model for a governor, they don't make anything, but take the efforts of others and take as much as possible from their work. And if there is any problem, they basically ignore both parties that results in nobody being served.
Not owing anyone favors is a plus.At least she will be tough on illegals outside her own home though.
Doubt it.
Yes but knowing how to make "as much money as possible" tells me that you would at least know where to look for waste. IE if something is broke you either fix it, or get rid of it, not just keep pumping money into it until it "works". Also, she would know something of budgets and how to maybe make a budget work and start to see about fixing the broken pension system. For me, I like the idea of trading a pension for a traditional 401(k) plan. The government pension plans, at least in CA, are out of control and needs to be fixed in a hurry.
You can't just file for bankruptcy, sell of an asset, or outsource jobs to balance the bottom line though. the good business people don't create much waste in the first place. That is why a business person is not necessarily suited to find, and especially, eliminate waste. Especially since many of the tools businesses use to eliminate waste are not viable options for government.BG, that was hilarious.
BG, that was hilarious.
If she was possibly going to run your state instead of mine I would fine humor in it as well.but instead... :club:
You can't just file for bankruptcy, sell of an asset, or outsource jobs to balance the bottom line though. the good business people don't create much waste in the first place. That is why a business person is not necessarily suited to find, and especially, eliminate waste. Especially since many of the tools businesses use to eliminate waste are not viable options for government.BG, that was hilarious.
This is what I am talking about. She will know how to not create more waste trying to "fix" the problems in CA. and really I am tired of politicians using scare tactics to justify and pass budgets. The whole "we're going to shut down national parks" routine is getting old. I am sure that there is NO other money available ANYWHERE, so we have to shut down the National Parks. Good one! Why don't you look for waste in Wellfare, SDI, Medical or any other social program that is crappy and in need of reform, but no let's shut down the national parks because we are too lazy to go after what is really draggin the state down.
If she was possibly going to run your state instead of mine I would fine humor in it as well.but instead... :club:
do a little digging on Rick Scott who I mentioned earlier in this thread. Makes Meg Whitman look like Santa Clause is coming to town. At least, Whitman does not have to admit that her company was fined 1.7 billion for fraud. He's got a slim lead, too. ****ing Florida.
do a little digging on Rick Scott who I mentioned earlier in this thread. Makes Meg Whitman look like Santa Clause is coming to town. At least, Whitman does not have to admit that her company was fined 1.7 billion for fraud. He's got a slim lead, too. ****ing Florida.
You guys can always challenge the vote counting and delay any winner by years.You have precedence and apparently a willing State Supreme Court to ignore voting laws.