How Many If Any Has Taken Their Shot And Moved To Vegas?

I'm Planning on doing just that. I expect to have a $10K BR and will probably be moving down there at the end of this month. Would like to hear any experiences good or bad. I know it's gonna be tough, but I won't know if I have what it takes or not if I don't try. Everyone I know thinks I'm insane. But most haven't got any balls to do anything. If I go broke. Oh well. Been broke before.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, I'd have ALOT more than 10k. Don't just consider your poker roll, consider your emergency fund, rent, food, gas, insurance, health insurance etc. its gonna be alot more expensive than you think. I'f probably want at least $50k. $30k or so for a roll, and $20k ready for emergency

I was living in L.A. and decided screw it I'm goin for it. Had about 8K and a good job offer waitin for me. Had it all set up...nice place to live near the strip etc.The 3rd day there I am driving to meet my crew and get pulled over right on the freeway next to the strip. Long story short I got arrested for a 10 year old bench warrant in Tonopah cost me 2K to get my car out of impound and another 2500 in bail.Ok still got a few bucks...then my dog attacked my roommates pit bull and fk'd him up bad I had to move to a new place (1st and last months rent plus deposit)%$#$@ ok not lookin real good...the job was supposed to pay me a base salary plus commission but they changed their tune and said 'oh no its all commission'...wonderfulSo less than 2K left I go to Bellagio sat at 2/5 and shoved it all in the middle with the nut flush vs a set....ty river boat gg Vegasdrove back to Sac the next day...LOL all in all didn't go as I had planned. fk'n cops arresting me for a 10 year old illegal left turn in some ghost town out in the middle of nowhereOh and by the way don't EVER EVER EVER get arrested in Vegas....the Clark County Detention Center was a nightmare.

I was living in L.A. and decided screw it I'm goin for it. Had about 8K and a good job offer waitin for me. Had it all set up...nice place to live near the strip etc.The 3rd day there I am driving to meet my crew and get pulled over right on the freeway next to the strip. Long story short I got arrested for a 10 year old bench warrant in Tonopah cost me 2K to get my car out of impound and another 2500 in bail.Ok still got a few bucks...then my dog attacked my roommates pit bull and fk'd him up bad I had to move to a new place (1st and last months rent plus deposit)%$#$@ ok not lookin real good...the job was supposed to pay me a base salary plus commission but they changed their tune and said 'oh no its all commission'...wonderfulSo less than 2K left I go to Bellagio sat at 2/5 and shoved it all in the middle with the nut flush vs a set....ty river boat gg Vegasdrove back to Sac the next day...LOL all in all didn't go as I had planned. fk'n cops arresting me for a 10 year old illegal left turn in some ghost town out in the middle of nowhereOh and by the way don't EVER EVER EVER get arrested in Vegas....the Clark County Detention Center was a nightmare.
Did someone SIIYP?

I dont get most of these abbreviated phrases but I am guessing that one means...stick it in your pants ?and no they left me alone I spent the whole time in the tank. What made it so bad was A: the food was HORRIBLE...I mean they went out of their way to make it as disgusting as possible...and B: after 10 PM (we had a TV in the tank) they played this Clark County Informational video over and over and over and over again. Ive been in jail before for traffic sh1t in California and trust me you dont ever want to get locked up in Vegas.

I was living in L.A. and decided screw it I'm goin for it. Had about 8K and a good job offer waitin for me. Had it all set up...nice place to live near the strip etc....................................
Man, that totally sucks. F*cking code enforcers. Them ain't real cops. But anyway. SH!T!!! I know I should have more money. But that's about it. Maybe a few more dollars. I'm 42, healthy and basically, nothing will deter me at this point in time. I've had it with all the BS and working for incompetent corporate c0cksuckers doesn't do it for me anymore. But if I go broke, then it's get a job time again. And that'll SUCK!!! Thanks for sharing.
I read that three times and I still have no idea what that post was about. POSTING UNDER INFLUENCE IS NOT COOL.

I havent had a drink all day and the topic on this thread was "How Many If Any Has Taken Their Shot And Moved To Vegas?"I believe my reply detailing in short my brief adventure there is appropriate.gg reading comprehension skills

what game are you going to play?
Hold'em mostly. 20/40 and up and 3/5 no limit. Not trying to get rich all at oncce. Just gonna take it a day at a time and win a little at a time. Gonna be patient.
First off, I'd have ALOT more than 10k. Don't just consider your poker roll, consider your emergency fund, rent, food, gas, insurance, health insurance etc. its gonna be alot more expensive than you think. I'f probably want at least $50k. $30k or so for a roll, and $20k ready for emergency
QFTPlus online you don't have to tip, have a much bigger game selection, the rake is less, and you can also get rakeback online.$10K for 20/40 is only 250BB, and 10K at a 500Max buy-in is only 20 buy-ins, and it would be very easy to lose that, plus you might get distracted with pit games if you move to Vegas to play.

20-40 is too high to start off with for your roll. if i was you, i would play 1-2nl at mgm everyday for the first month or so. you should make a couple of buyins a day from all the tourists. i may be taking my shot soon as well. i most likeky will be doing it in atlantic city since i'm from allentown pa. i wish you alll the luck in the world. you should start a blog if you take your shot.

20-40 is too high to start off with for your roll. if i was you, i would play 1-2nl at mgm everyday for the first month or so. you should make a couple of buyins a day from all the tourists. i may be taking my shot soon as well. i most likeky will be doing it in atlantic city since i'm from allentown pa. i wish you alll the luck in the world. you should start a blog if you take your shot.
The 1/2 NL at the MGM will be the first game I play more than likely. I love it there. I really like 20/40 though. Much looser than 10/20. As far as pit games go. I have no desire whatsoever to play that crap. Never have really so that isn't a prob at all. Poker only. I was thinking of starting a blog. Those seem like fun and some are hilarious to. Good luck in Atlantic City. Keep us posted.
Man, that totally sucks. F*cking code enforcers. Them ain't real cops. But anyway. SH!T!!! I know I should have more money. But that's about it. Maybe a few more dollars. I'm 42, healthy and basically, nothing will deter me at this point in time. I've had it with all the BS and working for incompetent corporate c0cksuckers doesn't do it for me anymore. But if I go broke, then it's get a job time again. And that'll SUCK!!! Thanks for sharing.
Why go to Vegas? Internet has PLENTY of great things for you like 100% rakeback. Just by playing at the 2-4 level with 40hr a week, 4 tables you would be making nearly $1500 a week just on rakeback. Then, say you decide to win an extra $500 a week or so from playing, that's money in the bank! Trust me, WPEX=the good.

I'd build up more money online before playing live. Live you won't have as many crazy swings as online, but you also gain a lot of "experience" playing online.If I were to move to Vegas or AC, I'd want to be able to have a years worth of rent saved up and other living expenses..and still have a $20-$30k minimum sized bankroll.Then I'd play games were I have around 50ish buy ins, atleast...having a big br really removes a lot of the stress that comes with having a losing session and/or extended bad run.GL though...just some thoughts.- Jordan

If he is gonna go with 10 grand Id have to say stick to the low limit cash games at the Aladdin and the Excaliber. sooooooo softEasy to get caught up in the Vegas lifestyle but if he sticks to a plan and doesn't play outside his roll he should be ok.IMO 20/40 is WAY over your roll (3/5 maybe but even at 3/5 you can go on some pretty sick swings)The Aladdin has a sweet afternoon tourney $60.00 buy in $40.00 rebuy (4500 starting chips) with usually about 80 players. And the 100 NL game there is ridiculously fishy.The Orleans has a nice tourney on Friday night and The Excaliber (even though the poker room is basically a dump) is probably the softest low limit cash game in Vegas.Factor in your moving expenses and if you aren't looking to get rich quick your 1st week, $10,000 should be plenty

chgocubs99 why dont you try offering some good advice instead of being a smartass with an 'LOL' one liner. The guy is posting for some guidance not ridicule
He doesn't know how to. He always is an asshat Nice contribution chgocubs... :club: We got a guy who is serious about playing for a living and some moron decides to hop in and laugh. Great contribution.

Very well, gentlemen. I apologize.Let's try this:You want to move to Vegas and take your shot, who am I to say no? Maybe you'll succeed, maybe you won't, but hey, best of luck to you.f you really don't care about going broke, then why the hell not? You don't need to post here for advice. Looking for advice anyway? You have no chance in hell on surviving on a 10K roll in Vegas. You gonna sit and play cards for 8 hours a day? For real? Fine. 1-2 NL? What are you gonna do when you get 2 outed and lose $800 a day, then your nightcap includes a $1200 loss in 20-40 limit (only about 3 big hands)?Now your roll is down to $8K. No big deal to some, but you are living off of this...you must win. Drop another $400 in 1-2 NL, damn, down to $7600. Play 20-40 scared and break even for the night...OK, at $7600 still. Well, rent is due, there's $1000 gone, at $6600. Should I go on? If you don't get it by now, PM me and I'll keep the scenario going. As someone said in a post a long time ago, if you have to post HERE to figure out how to go pro, you're not ready.But then again, you don't care about going broke. So what are you doing here? Go take your shot. Good luck.

He doesn't know how to. He always is an asshat Nice contribution chgocubs... :club: We got a guy who is serious about playing for a living and some moron decides to hop in and laugh. Great contribution.
Well, there's always gotta be one ****** BAG in the crowd. Looks like chgocubs is it.