the nhl gm game

If you were the GM of your favorite NHL team, which Free Agents would you be pursuing?Here's my list for the Buffalo Sabres:Roman Hamrlik - Solid offensive DefensemanCory Stillman - Dependable 20 goal Winger, affordableAnson Carter - Should be healthy after the long layoff, has a feww good years left in him. Jason Allison - See Anson CarterAndrew Brunette - Could be a star in the right system, plays every game. There's enough core talent in the Sabres younger players and their farm system that they really only need immediate help on Defense (already signed Numminen) and maybe another scorer or two to replace Satan. If I were the GM, I'd being chasing Cory Stillman with everything I had, he's a great player and only getting better, but I'd be surprised if he leaves the Lightning.

Awesome thread, although Stillman signed with Carolina.Once I found Neidemeyer wasn't coming to Vancouver, I really wanted the Canucks to go after Rafalski. Unfortunately, the Devils have re-signed him. After trading Sopel and letting Malik go, Vancouver only has 4 NHL tested D-men under contract (although Baumgartner has some experience). We have some good farmhands, but I think we need one more experienced D-man, at least for this season. If we could get Scott Stevens really cheap for a year or two, I wouldn't mind that. He could be the rugged defencive d-man we need, and he has a wealth of experience. This is pretty unlikely though. The only other options left seem to be Murray Baron (a former Canuck, but aging) and Glen Wesley. Neither one is that appealing, although they would both come fairly cheap. I think we might need to trade to get a defencemen. On forward, I really want us to re-sign Brad May. He is good friends with Bertuzzi and a player like him is valuable come playoff time. We could always use use some second line scoring, but I don't see much out there. Allison would be incredible if he could stay healthy, but I don't think we have enough cap space to get him. He also seems to have his heart set on Toronto. Leclair would be ok at the right price. If he could stay healthy I would really like to see him with the Sedins. Mogilny is an ex-Canuck who seemed like he wanted to stay when we traded him, but I couldn't justify breaking the bank on him. I'm satisfied with what he have on forward to the point where I don't see any justification for expensive upgrades.As far as goaltending goes, I dont think it makes sense to make any changes. Cloutier is under rated, and was fine against Calgary until he got hurt. Alex Auld will be an awesome backup who should challenge for the starting job. Who wouldn't want Khabibulin, but I see no way to afford him.*Edit: Good point on brunette, he could fit in with ANY team. He could play anywhere on a good teams second line and play on a first line if necessary. The more I think about it, the more I want him.**Edit 2: I saw that both Nieminen and Tverdovsky got signed. If I knew either one was available, I would have added them to my list.

If you were the GM of your favorite NHL team, which Free Agents would you be pursuing?Here's my list for the Buffalo Sabres:Roman Hamrlik - Solid offensive DefensemanCory Stillman - Dependable 20 goal Winger, affordableAnson Carter - Should be healthy after the long layoff, has a feww good years left in him. Jason Allison - See Anson CarterAndrew Brunette - Could be a star in the right system, plays every game. There's enough core talent in the Sabres younger players and their farm system that they really only need immediate help on Defense (already signed Numminen) and maybe another scorer or two to replace Satan. If I were the GM, I'd being chasing Cory Stillman with everything I had, he's a great player and only getting better, but I'd be surprised if he leaves the Lightning.
People have been saying that Jason Allison is recovering for a long time. At the beginning of last season (that is, the one they played) he was supposedly near to coming back, and then never improved. I know all of this because I was watching the situation like a hawk so I could put him on my fantasy team. If he ever does make it back, I wonder how long he'll last before he gets hurt again.When's the last time you saw a Jason Allison goal that DIDN'T include him being crosschecked in the back or slammed onto the ice?

I'm going to treat this like I just bought a new hockey game with a Dynasty mode using St. Louis. I would pretty much keep the defense as-is. They have Lalime with a really good backup (Bacashishua or something like that) and they also drafted unarguably the best goaltending prospect to come out of the Czech Republic since Hasek (Schwarz), so I'm not concerned about the net.They have one or two good prospects up front. It's sad how dry their farm system is from the ridiculous amount of trading they did to try to buy a cup when Laurie bought the franchise. I'm expecting a ton of goals out of Boguniecki. I would go after Sergei Samsonov (though I'm not sure if he's re-signed with Boston) and someone like Wes Walz. If you're unfamiliar, Walz is a small foward on the Wild that's unbelievably good at defense and can score goals, too. I'll have to look around a little more to figure out who would help the Blues the most. I know there are quite a few people on the market right now.