Recreation Hockey League

I was going to do a Ninja Turtles thread (the team Zach and I play on), but I'm pretty sure a lot of other people here play rec hockey too. Last summer, I played on two teams with Zach (The Ice Weasels) & (The Ninja Turtles). I decided though this year, that I just don't have the time to play on two hockey teams as I am on three ultimate frisbee teams, plus rock climbing. So I had to choose between one or the other. This past winter season, the Ice Weasels were very good, and the Turtles were very bad. I had to choose between the two and ultimately I chose the Turtles, just because even though we sucked, the team chemistry in the locker room was a lot better. Now about 8 games into the season, the Ninja Turtles are in 1st place in our division, highest scoring team in the league, and lowest PIM team in the league as well. For some reason, I'm also scoring a lot more in this league. I'm 2nd on our team in scoring, and third overall in the league right now in scoring. http://www.pointstreak.com/stats/am/player...p;seasonid=5480http://www.pointstreak.com/stats/am/player...p;seasonid=5480The team's one of the best teams I've ever played rec hockey for. Last year, even though we lost almost every regular season game, we made it to the semi finals in the playoffs last year and lost in a heartbreaker. Earlier this year, our worst player (a guy who just learned how to skate, maybe a year ago) scored his first ever goal. We ended up getting the puck, taping it, and getting the timekeeper to write the date and shit on the puck. Then tonight, one of our d-men is out for tonight's game. Zach has been playing defence on this team because nobody wants to play. Just for shits and giggles, I'll be playing D tonight probably and paired with Zach. I expect us to give up a lot of goals because I am horrible defensively and hate back-checking like the plague. Then after the game, we're all going to some Irish pub for drinks and dinner afterward. It will be pretty romantic in a homo way. So yeah, I just wanted to say rec hockey is fun because of obviously hockey, but it's the little things like the dressing room jokes, players yelling insults from the bench, and the newbie getting his first ever hockey goal in his career that make me excited to go to rec hockey every Sunday-Thursday.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

I agree, its the little things. I play different rec sports, but the same applies to all of them. If you dont enjoy hanging out with the guys your playing with, at some point it wont be fun at all to play and you'll quit. My current rec team has some great characters, each post game is a crackup. I've only been in a rec league for 1.5yrs. My first time in organized ice hockey. Its awesome, but I am an atrocious skater. But they put me on a line with our best player (he's way above our league level), and thanks to that, I currently sit 4th in team scoring, 8th overall in the league!! :club: I even had my first 4pt game this week, but my 2nd goal and 2nd A didnt count because the league stops counting after a team leads by 5. We won 11-4.My point "success" is kinda of a joke when you consider my skating. I think Im gonna take powerskating, just not sure where and whats best. I want to get better, even at this age. Its frustrating not being able to do the things I can at ball hockey.

I agree, its the little things. I play different rec sports, but the same applies to all of them. If you dont enjoy hanging out with the guys your playing with, at some point it wont be fun at all to play and you'll quit. My current rec team has some great characters, each post game is a crackup. I've only been in a rec league for 1.5yrs. My first time in organized ice hockey. Its awesome, but I am an atrocious skater. But they put me on a line with our best player (he's way above our league level), and thanks to that, I currently sit 4th in team scoring, 8th overall in the league!! :club: I even had my first 4pt game this week, but my 2nd goal and 2nd A didnt count because the league stops counting after a team leads by 5. We won 11-4.My point "success" is kinda of a joke when you consider my skating. I think Im gonna take powerskating, just not sure where and whats best. I want to get better, even at this age. Its frustrating not being able to do the things I can at ball hockey.
Nice! How many lines do you guys have? I took powerskating when I was a kid. We had a woman instructor. She was so tough. I hated it. I would throw up after every session.
So yeah, I just wanted to say rec hockey is fun because of obviously hockey, but it's the little things like the dressing room jokes, players yelling insults from the bench, and the newbie getting his first ever hockey goal in his career that make me excited to go to rec hockey every Sunday-Thursday.
Amen!
Gross.
Awesome.I play on 3 teams during hockey season and only 1 in the summer. It's a lot more fun when you have a good group of guys and BS and f off.

As of right now Charlottesville doesn't have rink as the current owners closed it up on June 30th. Negotiations are progress for new owners to come in and take over. Although I've never skated and played hockey at the same time I'm hoping to get in whatever the lowest league is. Rumor is that it's supposed to reopen this fall so I'll see what my schedule's like (full time job/starting grad school in august/2 softball teams/1 kickball team/still want time to do nothing/watching hockey) and possibly buy some gear and try it out.Where do you guys buy your stuff?

I was about to get back into playing but then we had our sewer backup and the main room where it backed up was where my hockey bag was. Needless to say, nothing survived. I don't know if I can justify the league cost plus new skates, pads, pants, gloves, helmet, etc.

I've played with the same group of guys for almost 7 seasons. Our team is in a division for players that haven't played before (or for a long tome), I played when I was younger (6-12 years old). Our team sucked at first, I was one of maybe 3 or 4 players that had any hockey sense and could skate. The first few seasons we sucked pretty bad but still managed to make it to the finals.Our team had a goalie who had to have been at least 60 years old and we got rid of him in the third season.Over the years everyone has improved and all the teams are competitive, we had 9 teams in our division last year. Last season was horrible for us, we lost 3 of our decent players and brought on brand new players. We lost close to 30 games, losing streak of 15 at one point. But if it wasn't for the group of guys on the team, I think I would have found a new team years ago. These guys are great to play with. Most of us have formed a team for the summer league this year, can't get enough hockey.We play 45 games in the winter plus playoffs and 12 games in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

so i did boot camp at work during lunch. then had 3 hours of ultimate frisbee. then had 1 hour of hockey tonight. what does this equal?biatch barfing. i havent barfed since that time i barfed with zach when we first played hockey

• 2 weeks later...

Game time in an hour and a half, in Kanata for those in Ottawa who want to see something special. The Ninja Turtles can clinch 1st place tonight with a victory against Scared Hitless. Some notes about the game:Biatch is now defense, Zach is at forward. Biatch is paired with Waldo. Biatch is super stoked he gets to wear his new yellow sock and baby blue sock. Zach is hoping the same timekeeper isn't there from last week. Shit got awkward last week, lol. They're in a fight.

Finally, the time has come, the playoffs begin for the Ninja Turtles. Last year, we made it out of the round robin, won the division semi-final, but lost in a heartbreaker in the divisional final. This yr, we hope to win that divisional final, then win the conference cross-over final as well for the Keg (the championship). Last year, our team player a lot better then expectations, so making the divisional final was great, but not expected. This year, we are the #1 ranked team out of the 6 in our division. We lead in goals for, goals against, and have the least PIM's. The way the playoffs work is that you play 3 round robin games, since we are the #1 ranked team, we get the best schedule (against seeds 4, 5, and 6). The top 4 teams after the round robin, then play in a semi final, final two play in a final, then the winner of our division plays the opposite conference's champion for the eluded Keg and champion of the Moosehead (our tier). First game is Tuesday against the Puck Pigs at Kanata, at the Sensplex.

Finally, the time has come, the playoffs begin for the Ninja Turtles. Last year, we made it out of the round robin, won the division semi-final, but lost in a heartbreaker in the divisional final. This yr, we hope to win that divisional final, then win the conference cross-over final as well for the Keg (the championship). Last year, our team player a lot better then expectations, so making the divisional final was great, but not expected. This year, we are the #1 ranked team out of the 6 in our division. We lead in goals for, goals against, and have the least PIM's. The way the playoffs work is that you play 3 round robin games, since we are the #1 ranked team, we get the best schedule (against seeds 4, 5, and 6). The top 4 teams after the round robin, then play in a semi final, final two play in a final, then the winner of our division plays the opposite conference's champion for the eluded Keg and champion of the Moosehead (our tier). First game is Tuesday against the Puck Pigs at Kanata, at the Sensplex.
Good luck!

I only play once a week now and I'm terrible. I try to do shit I used to do when I was on the ice 4-5 days per week playing or coaching and I can't. I've given up and moved back to D and just hang out. :club:

LOL, I play D now. Nobody else on our team really wanted to play D, and at first I hated it, but now I really like it and prefer it. bc....- you get a lot more ice time- I still pinch a lot and find I get a lot of scoring chances still. I probably pinch a lot more then I should, but I still find you can create offense from the point. - you see the game a lot better. I find on forward, at times you can find yourself running like a chicken with your head cut off. But playing D, you can see the whole play develop, and sometimes you can anticipate the outlet pass from the opposing team, and create a lot more turnovers, then you would be able to on forward- you get a lot more ice time

LOL, I play D now. Nobody else on our team really wanted to play D, and at first I hated it, but now I really like it and prefer it. bc....- you get a lot more ice time- I still pinch a lot and find I get a lot of scoring chances still. I probably pinch a lot more then I should, but I still find you can create offense from the point. - you see the game a lot better. I find on forward, at times you can find yourself running like a chicken with your head cut off. But playing D, you can see the whole play develop, and sometimes you can anticipate the outlet pass from the opposing team, and create a lot more turnovers, then you would be able to on forward- you get a lot more ice time
You're just ****ing lazy and dont want to skate any more.... 90 seconds hard skating or float all day....... :club:
You're just ****ing lazy and dont want to skate any more.... 90 seconds hard skating or float all day....... :club:
LOL, I am pretty lazy. We sometimes have 8 forwards though, so the ice time sucks. D, you get on every other shift, sometimes we only play 3 D as well. I'm pretty pumped though for tomorrow's game. I might be a little tired though, because I'm taking a half day off work to go rock climbing, but our game isn't until 11pm, so I should be fine by then.

I got ****ed up knee on knee, or well, something on my knee, I don't really know what happened. I cut to the left to get a shot in the slot, next thing I know my knee gets jolted, and I'm spinning on my way to the ice. Took a shift off, but played the rest of the game. Now my knee is killing me.I'm going on a golf trip with my old man on Saturday, I'll be really pissed it it still hurts then.

I got ****ed up knee on knee, or well, something on my knee, I don't really know what happened. I cut to the left to get a shot in the slot, next thing I know my knee gets jolted, and I'm spinning on my way to the ice. Took a shift off, but played the rest of the game. Now my knee is killing me.I'm going on a golf trip with my old man on Saturday, I'll be really pissed it it still hurts then.
RestIceCompresionElevationBe careful if you go golfing. If you wear golf shoes, you could twist up your knee a little more. Maybe wear a light Ace bandage for support...or shoes without cleats.

Yeah, it doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would. Twisting it would hurt the most. Been taking a few practice swings, but not much pain in there. I don't golf until Sunday, so hopefully it'll be fine by then. Probably going to skip my game tomorrow night (for other reasons as well), and give it some more rest.

Big game tonight, we are up against Beaver Lumber. 2nd of 3 round robin games. Top 4 move onto the semi finals. Then the finals, then the winner plays the other conference for the championship. Standings as of now in the round robin...1. Ninja Turtles 1-0-01. Beaver Lumber 1-0-03. Gamblers 0-1-03. Scared Hitless 0-1-05. Critter Jungle Wild 0-0-15. Puck Pigs 0-0-1*************We are short a lot of guys tonight. Zach is in ThunderBay, and Ross is out with an ankle. My buddy and I also now have a new pre-game ritual of going to McDonalds before the game to grab a bacon double cheeseburger and a large coffee (jeep). Hits the spot and gives us a boost right before the game.