The Cheap Thieves Depth ChartDEFENSE: Not the strong suit of the Cheap Thieves, although there is plenty of talent on the farm developing in the minors. This is the weakest link on the Thieves, but that has more to do with the fact that the team is a powerhouse in goal and at forward. The Thieves defense should still rank top 8 in the league this season. 1. Scott Neidermayer, ANA. Age 36 Sal. $8.00- with Chris Pronger now gone to Philadelphia expect the Ducks to lean more heavily on Neidermayer this season, especially when it comes to power play production. This will be Scott’s last year with the Thieves and he’d like to leave with a cup.2. John-Michael Liles, COL. Age 28 Sal. $2.00 $2.25 -this could be a tough year for Liles as Colorado is a young team with lots of holes. He will be “the guy” on the power play, but it’s hard to know now how effective that PP will be. 3. Alex Goligoski, PIT. Age 24 Sal. $1.50 $1.75 $2.00 $2.25 $2.50-this is Alex’s time to shine and the Penguins brass obviously put a lot of faith in his ability by moving some of their veteran d-men. Alex has the opportunity to man the point on a potent PP in Pittsburgh and could easily crack the top 10 in the NHL defenseman scoring race. 4. Marc-Edouard Vlasic, SJ. Age 22 Sal. $1.25 $1.25 $1.25 $1.25 $1.25-The Sharks let go of Ehrhoff and Lukowich and the main reason for that is the confidence they have in young Vlasic. Vlasic will lead the team in minutes logged and get ample time on the PP this season. A 40 point outburst is not out of the question fro Pickles. He had 36 points last season.5. Brent Seabrook, CHI. Age 24 Sal. $1.75 $1.75 $1.75 $1.75- more is expected of Seabrook offensively, but the Blackhawks are stocked when it comes to offensive minded defensemen. Seabrook did have 8 goals last season, but should improve upon his 26 point output for the season. Seabrook is counted on to play in all situations, but that doesn’t necessarily help his numbers.6. Tom Poti, WAS. Age 32 Sal. $1.50 $1.50 $1.50- Poti missed a lot of games last season, but was effective before the injury playing alongside stalwart Mike Green. The Caps are relatively thin on the blueline which bodes well for Poti who should be able to rebound from an injury plagued season and possibly score 30+ points.7. Kris Russell, CLB. Age 22 Sal. $0.50 $0.50 $0.50 $0.50 $0.50 Russell is still very young for a defenseman but he now has two seasons under his belt, doubling his point total in his second season, playing 66 games and netting 21 points. There is no reason to think that in an 82 game season that Russell won’t net 30+ points this season on an improved Jackets power play. He’s signed long term for the bargain basement price, so the Thieves are very excited about his upside.8. Cory Murphy, NJ. 31 Age Sal. $2.50 $2.50 $2.50 - when Murphy is in the lineup, he racks up points. The problem with Murphy is that he is in and out of the lineup, seen as undersized and a bit of a defensive liability. He put up 15 points in 25 games with the Lighting last season, and if New Jersey decides to let him man the point on the PP, he could be in for his best NHL season to date. That’s a pretty big “IF” however.FORWARDS The team is very deep at forward. Not exactly full of top 5 NHL scoring talent, but a deep pool of players who will rank in the top 40 in NHL scoring. The most important thing to notice however, is the age of the core. It’s a very young group of forwards with more on the way. The contracts are all affordable meaning the Thieves can keep this nucleus together for a very long time.1, Alexander Semin, WAS. Age 25 Sal. $4.00 $4.50 $5.00 -a stronger, younger, and better version of Alexei Kovalev, Semin had a breakout year for the Caps last season scoring 79 points in 62 games playing in the shadows of Alexander Ovechkin. He also went from a -18 to a +25 which will make his coaches happy and keep him out of the doghouse, Semin has the potential to put together his first 100+ point season this year.2, Simon Gagne, PHI. Age 29 Sal. $5.25 $6.00 $7.25- Gagne bounced back incredibly well after suffering a serious concussion the previous year, and put up big numbers despite being without centre Daniel Briere for most of the year. Well, Briere is healthy, as is Gagne, so he is primed for a very big season this year… if he can stay healthy.3. Olli Jokinen, CAL. Age 30 Sal. $3.00 $3.50 $4/00 $4.50 $5.00 -originally picked up on waivers by the Thieves, Jokinen has put together a solid career and now in his prime has an opportunity to center one of the leagues most dynamic players in Jarrome Iginla. Last season Jokinen split time in Phoenix and Calgary and didn’t have his best season, but now with a full year to get used to the Flames system, Jokinen is primed and ready to tear it up.4. Corey Perry, ANA. Age 24 Sal. $1.25 $1.25 $1.25 $1.25 $1.25 -Anahiem has a line for the future with Getzlaf centering Ryan and Perry. Perry is just 24, signed long term at a bargain price and last season topped the 70 point mark. A very important piece to the Cheap Thieves championship puzzle. Thieves ownership has some decisions to making with Bobby Ryan also coming of age, but for now, there is nothing wrong with having a powerful one-two punch in Anahiem.5. Henrik Sedin, VAN. Age 28 Sal. $4.75 $5,25 -with the Sedins you know what you are going to get- point a game production. Henrik hasn’t missed a game in four seasons with Vancouver and last season had his best goal scoring season scoring 22 times on his way to an 82 point season (in 82 games).6. Anze Kopitar, LA. Age 22 Sal. $2.50 $2.50 $2.50- the Kings franchise player took a slip dip in his offensive production last season, but no one expects that to continue for this point a game player. LA is vast improving as a team and that can only help Kopitar’s production as he matures… remember, this kid is only 22!7. Kyle Okposo, NYI. Age 21. Sal. $2.50 $2.50 $2.50 $2.50 $2.50- the idea of Tavares feeding Okposo in the future makes one’s mouth water with anticipation. Okposo had a solid rookie season scoring 39 points in 65 games for an offensively challenged team. As the Islanders improve and Okposo matures… think Jarome Iginla, and not just because he’s black.8. Jason Pominville, BUF. Age 26 Sal. $2.00 $2.25 $2.50- Pominville’s numbers dipped from the 80 point plateau back to a respectable 66 in 82 games, but that had more to do with the Sabres losing talent than his play. The Sabres don’t have as much firepower as they once did, but Pominville’s role with the team is as a top line guy who often mans the point on the power play as well.9. Andrei Kostitsyn, MON. Age 24 Sal. $2.50 $2.50 $2.50 $2.50 $2.50- with all of the major changes in Montreal this season, it’s too early to tell what that will mean for Andrei’s production. Chemistry could be an issue, but at the same time, the loss of Koivu and Kovalev could actually see Kostitsyn get more PP time and play an increased role with the club. 10. Ryan Malone, TB. Age 29 Sal. $0.50- it was a decent first year for Malone in Tampa Bay and the potential is there for him to be a power play banger playing with gifted center Vincent Lecavalier. Stamkos’ progression should also help as teams can’t focus solely on the top line. This is also an AHL contract year for Malone.11. Steve Ott, DAL. Age 27 Sal. $0.50- in a rarity, Ott was picked up on waivers last season and offered a contract this season based on his stellar play last year. Ott more than doubled his offensive output in 9 less games and figures to play an important role in Dallas again this year.12. Eric Belanger, MIN. Age 31 Sal. $0.50 $0.50- Belanger doesn’t figure to see much ice time at all in the AHL with the Thieves, likely only seeing the ice when there is no other option. With Oshie and Ryan assured a spot on the team this year, as well as possibly Nicklas Bergsfor in New Jersey and Jack Skille in Chicago, Belanger is the odd man out. GOAL: Without question the Thieves boast the best three goalies of any team in the league as all are expected to once again rank in the top 10 in GAA. 1. Vancouver Canucks (Roberto Luongo) $4.00 $4.50 $5.00- the Canucks are really making ar un for the cup this year and made a major splash this off season through trades and the free agent market, improving their defense immensely which should help Luongo even more. Vancouver will likely get the most starts for the Thieves this season.2. San Jose Sharks (Evgeni Nabakov) $5.00- what the Sharks do in the playoffs (fade away without a fight) has no bearing on the regular season where they are monsters and will be again this coming season. This is a contract year for Sharks goalies and will likely be their last season with the Thieves. Management is already scouting their options for next season.3. New York Rrangers (Henrik Lundqvist) $2.50 $2.50 $2.50 - Lundqvist is one of the best goalies in the world, but this Rangers team could struggle this season. Not as much defensively, but they have lost firepower up front so it’ll be tough for them to put the puck in the net… which, could help King Henrik keep more pucks OUT of the net if the team commits to a defensive style of play to stay competitive.FARM: The farm is the key reason for the Thieves resurgence as the dominant player in the AHL East, and while it's not quite as stocked as it has been in past years, there is still loads of NHL ready talent to be called up.DEFENSE:1. Jonathan Blum, NAS. $1.502. Jamie McBain, CAR. $0.503. Ivan Vishnevskiy, DAL. $1.504. Jake Gardiner, ANA. $2.005. Taylor Chorney, EDM. $0.256. Marc-Andre Gragnani, BUF. $0.257. Brandon Burlon, NJ. $1.508. Mike Ratchuk, PHI. $0.50 9. Keith Seabrook, CAL. $0.5010. Dustin Kohn, NYI. $0.25FORWARDS:1. Bobby Ryan, ANA. $2.002. T.J. Oshie, STL. $1.003. Benoit Pouliot, MIN. $2.004. Nicklas Bergsfor, NJ. $0.505. Jack Skille, CHI. $1.506. Evgeny Grachev, NYR. $1.00

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mustangs have a good team. You just got lucky he went cold for 4 games.   If you played Gothic this round, you would be out 4-0. If you played Warfare, it would be 2-2.

You mean all the active owners at the AHL forum haven't voted yet?

Is everyone else as mesmerizes as I am by this? Im following those tweets all day, I feel very emotionally invested at this point for some reason.

Jokinen Not Happy in Las Vegas Rumor out of Las Vegas is that Olli Jokinen, primed for a big season in Calgary, isn't at all happy with Thieves management over his contract negotiations. Jokinen was originally picked up on waivers despite being the third overall pick n 1997 behind just Joe Thorton and Patrik Marleau, and frankly, he has been one of the most underpaid players in the league for years. Now is Jokinen's time to cash in on a decent contract and is looking for a 5 year deal. However, the team is wary about signing the veteran to a long term contract at his age. The team is offering 3 years, and Jokinen's agent is insisting on a 5 year deal that will take Jokinen through to the end of his career. "It's not a question as to whether or not he deserves it," said Negreanu from his couch awaiting a WCOOP event, "It's just a potential problem for the club down the road with talk of salary increases for players. We have a solid young team in Vegas and we'd like to keep it together long term. We love having Olli here in Vegas, but we're not sure we want to pay him $5.00 when he's over 35." Trade rumors have Jokinen potentially heading over to the Ravag in a deal that would include Chicago goalies. There would obviously have to be more to the deal, but those are the principal players in this potential blockbuster deal.

Olli Jokinen Loses Battle, Demands Trade It appears that Olli Jokinen's plea for a 5 year contract has been denied by the Thieves, and instead he's been offered a 3 year deal that will pay him $4.00 in his final year. Jokinen and his agent are furious. After being arguably the most underpaid player in AHL history, Jokinen expected more from the franchise and is not demanding a trade. He refuses to play for the Thieves. However, the Thieves have no immediate plans to let go of their center who is poised to have a big year playing a full season alongsige Jarome Iginla. We'll keep you posted on any more Jokinen news as it happens.

Yup, he has a concussion and that's a bad word...
its something the Thieves are used to..Simon Gagne was close to being out of hockey..he seems ok now..

SCOUTING COMPLETE After a 120 hours of work, the Cheap Thieves are officially ready for the AHL entry draft, touting Evander Kane as the #1 pick. Obviously, picking at #16 the high end talent will be unavailable, but the team is hoping to nab a decent player with their first pick. This will be the last draft year where you can get a high pick for $2.00 as the salary structures will change next season to promote more high end player movement. Our salary structure looks like this:1st round: $2.002nd round: $1.503rd round: $1.004th round: $0.50 The league has voted, and starting in 2010-11 salaries will look like this:Top 10: $3.00Top 20: $2.50Top 30: $2.00Top 40: $1.50Top 50: $1.00Top 60: $0.75Top 70: $0.50Top 80: $0.25 The new salary structure puts more importance on the later picks as you'll now get a bargain for a top 60 and a top 80 pick, while paying more for a top 10, 20, and 30 pick. The team is prepared with a list of 67 players, ranked in order. The Thieves are still in the process of building depth on defense and that will likely be the case again this season as the team looks to stockpile prospects on the blueline to go along with the deepest group of young forwards on the league. The core nucleus already with the big club include Gologoski, Seabrook, Vlasic, and Russell, all expected to improve on last years totals. On the horizon the team is excited about the following four that are currently on the farm: Ivan Vishnevskiy, Jonathan Blum, Jamie McBain, and Jake Gardiner. Expect the Thieves defense to be among the top 8 in the league this season, but only getting better from there. The team has just $1.75 to spend on acquiring 3 players at the FA draft which is offering slim pickings this year. Expect the team to bid $1.25 on one player, likely a d-man, and adding fillers.

THE FARM:DEFENSE:1. Marc-Andre Gragnani, BUF. $0.25 Age 22 NHL Drafted 87th/2005 Team: AHL Rochester2. Taylor Chorney, EDM. $0.25 Age 22 NHL Drafted 35th/2005 Team: AHL Springfield3. Mike Ratchuk, PHI. $0.50 Age 21 NHL Drafted 42nd/2006 Team: AHL Phantoms4. Keith Seabrook, CAL. $0.50 Age 21 NHL Drafted 52nd/2006 Team: WHL Calgary5. Ivan Vishnevskit, DAL. $1.50 Age 21 NHL Drafted 27th/2006 Team: AHL Peoria6. Jamie McBain, CAR. $0.50 Age 21 NHL Drafted 63rd/2006 Team: NCAA Wisconsin7. Jonathan Blum, NAS. $1.50 Age 20 NHL Drafted 23rd/2007 Team: WHL Vancouver8. Jake Gardiner, ANA. $2.00 Age 19 NHL Drafted 17th/2008 Team: NCAA Wisconsin9. Brandon Burlon, NJ $1.50 Age 19 NHL Drafted 52nd/2008 Team: NCAA Michigan10. Nick Leddy, MIN $2.00 Age 18 NHL Drafted 16th/2009 Team: NCAA Minnesota11. Stefan Elliot, COL. $1.50 Age 18 NHL Drafted 49th/2009 Team: WHL SaskatoonFORWARDS:1. Benoit Pouliot, MIN. $2.00 Age 23 NHL Drafted 4th/2005 Team: NHL Minnesota2. Bibbby Ryan, ANA. $2.00 Age 22 NHL Drafted 2nd/2005 Team: NHL Anaheim3. Jack Skille, CHI. $1.50 Age 22 NHL Drafted 7th/2005 Team: NHL Chicago4. T.J. Oshie, SYL. $1.00 Age 22 NHL Drafted 24th/2005 Team: NHL St.Louis5. Nicklas Bergsfor, NJ. $0.50 Age 22 NHL Drafted 23rd/2005 Team: NHL New Jersey6. Derek Stepan, NYR. $1.50 Age 19 NHL Drafted 51st/2008 Team: NCAA Wisconsin7. Evgeny Grachev, NYR. $1.00 Age 19 NHL Drafted 75th/2008 Team: OHL Brampton8. Zach Budish, NAS. $1.00 Age 18 NHL Drafted 41st/2009 Team: NCAA Minnesota9. Philippe Paradis, CAR. $0.50 Age 18 NHL Drafted 27th/2009 Team: QMJHL ShawininiganMy 2005 draft year was sick. Add to this list Anze Kopitar for:Anze KopitarBobby RyanBenoit PouliotT.J. OshieJack SkilleNicklas Bergfors Also drafted Peter Kalus that year...

My 2005 draft year was sick. Add to this list Anze Kopitar for:Anze KopitarBobby RyanBenoit PouliotT.J. OshieJack SkilleNicklas Bergfors Also drafted Peter Kalus that year...
considering you had 3 first rd picks before I made my first one that year I think I did okay.Angelo EspositoJonathan ToewsMartin HanzalDevin SetoguchiMike GreenMatt CarleWe were both fortunate that it was the double draft year after the strike so there was more value in that draft than any other and we both either had or acquired a lot of picks.I had a pick that didn't pan out in Alex Bourret and my first rd pick Esposito could still be a total bust.Of course I hit 2 total home runs in Toews and the most valuable player in the pool in Green.

I must say 1.) I'm impressed with a league in which Budish and Leddy are worth roster spots2.) I'm impressed anyone outside of MN and their respective franchises knows who Budish and Leddy are3.) I'm not going to pretend to know any sort of rules or scoring for this pool but why in god's name is Bobby Ryan on the farm team?

I must say 1.) I'm impressed with a league in which Budish and Leddy are worth roster spots2.) I'm impressed anyone outside of MN and their respective franchises knows who Budish and Leddy are3.) I'm not going to pretend to know any sort of rules or scoring for this pool but why in god's name is Bobby Ryan on the farm team?
its a complicated answer. However basically when you call up a farm guy, you have to sign him to a big league contract the next year. The longer you delay it, the better it is....If you dont absolutely need him, you can keep him down there longer.We have added a rule this year, where you cant keep a guy there if he has played a certain amount of NHL games.FYI.This league was recognized by a major publication to be the greatest fantasy league in the history of the world.
I must say 1.) I'm impressed with a league in which Budish and Leddy are worth roster spots2.) I'm impressed anyone outside of MN and their respective franchises knows who Budish and Leddy are
Budish and Leddy aren't worth roster spots now, just farm spots. We get 20 of them, and we get 4 rounds per year to select prospects. It tends to go like the NHL draft goes, so anyone in the first 2 rounds that has scoring upside (ie not a shut down defenseman or a goalie) will almost assuredly get picked, and then the rest of the draft is sprinkled with late college signings (Bozak, Stahlberg), and guys who were missed in previous drafts who developped a bit later (Shirokov), etc.It's been said that the GM's of this league are behind only real life NHL scouts in their knowledge of prospects. :club:
FYI.This league was recognized by a major publication to be the greatest fantasy league in the history of the world.
And I can see why, must be incredibly enthralling for a hockey nut. I'd be lying if I said I'm not jealous. Thanks for the explanation guys!
And I can see why, must be incredibly enthralling for a hockey nut. I'd be lying if I said I'm not jealous. Thanks for the explanation guys!
It was an article that Daniel wrote himself...While the league is AMAZING, I'll wait until a 3rd party picks up the story. :club:
The new rules we are going to implement this year make it better to keep him on the farm (Ryan) because we are switching our max in terms of number of years a player can be signed from 5 years, to 3 years. Ideally, with the old system it was best to call up a good player as a rookie and sign them to a cheaper 5 year contract. We can use our farm players for the stretch drive and the playoffs so for a team like mine, I won't need Ryan or Oshie to win my division. It makes a bit of sense to keep them on the farm, then call them up for the playoffs so I don't have to pay them more and can keep them a bit longer. I already have Corey Perry in ANA so that's why Ryan didn't get called up sooner. The new rule states that if a player has played 125 NHL games at the start of a season he must be called up or he goes on waivers.I can leave them both on the farm this year, but would be forced to keep them on the team next year... I'll probably call them both up. You can for the first month and then send them back to the farm, but I'll probably keep them.
The new rules we are going to implement this year make it better to keep him on the farm (Ryan) because we are switching our max in terms of number of years a player can be signed from 5 years, to 3 years. Ideally, with the old system it was best to call up a good player as a rookie and sign them to a cheaper 5 year contract. We can use our farm players for the stretch drive and the playoffs so for a team like mine, I won't need Ryan or Oshie to win my division. It makes a bit of sense to keep them on the farm, then call them up for the playoffs so I don't have to pay them more and can keep them a bit longer. I already have Corey Perry in ANA so that's why Ryan didn't get called up sooner. The new rule states that if a player has played 125 NHL games at the start of a season he must be called up or he goes on waivers.I can leave them both on the farm this year, but would be forced to keep them on the team next year... I'll probably call them both up. You can for the first month and then send them back to the farm, but I'll probably keep them.
By the way, i don't think the 3-year max limit should kick in next year. I think it should start the year after that.
I kinda of agree with you, what is your reasoning for that?
Because I had a plan for guys like Stamkos and Neal just as you probably had a plan for Ryan and Bob for Toews. Bringing in the new rule right away seems somewhat unfair and punishes us for managing our teams under the way the rules were. By delaying the new rule it gives us time to adjust and doesn't take away from the intent of the new rule. If we implement this new rule based on this seasons stats then we should have implemented the Toews rule this year also. And thanks for asking and listening.