• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Randy Reed

Randy Reed

Words up!

• Members
  • 7,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

so the Phelps gang was saying,The church members carry signs saying "America is Doomed," "God Hates America" and "Thank God for Dead Solders."Read more: http://www.kansas.co...l#ixzz0jsURmibWShould we prosecute them under anti-terrorism laws? It would be kinda cool to put God on trial and see what he has to say about it. "Your honor, I would like to call God as my next witness""OBJECTION!!"
Waiting for the winds of change
To sweep the clouds away
Waiting for the rainbow's end
To cast its gold your way
Countless ways
You pass the days

#22 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

none

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

View Postspeedz99, on Wednesday, March 31st, 2010, 3:50 PM, said:

Posted Image
Actual picture from my office: Posted Image

#23 speedz99

speedz99

It don't matter to Jesus.

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

View Postvbnautilus, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM, said:

Actual picture from my office: Posted Image
I rarely say this, but you and I would probably get along well in real life. We should meet up some day...it's too bad I'll be busy when that day comes. Oh well.
You got a date Wednesday, baby!

#24 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

none

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

View Postspeedz99, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 2:17 PM, said:

I rarely say this, but you and I would probably get along well in real life. We should meet up some day...it's too bad I'll be busy when that day comes. Oh well.
There's nothing like two grown men connecting over a muppet.

#25 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,359 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:19 PM

View Postspeedz99, on Wednesday, March 31st, 2010, 3:36 PM, said:

This is just a bunch of inbred retards using religion as an excuse for bigotry.
Yes."They are going to have to uproot an entire body of law to stop us" To me, this screams of hate speech and/or threats.I felt that more strongly before I had to explain it. I'm kind of coming up blank. It implies that they know what they are doing is harmful, but are misusing laws and the system to keep doing it.I like Randy's point about being terrorist, especially when the funeral isn't for a gay soldier, but that's a slippery slope I'd rather avoid.If this was about anything other than gays, it would be considered hateful. Women, blacks, you name it. It'd be hateful. But it's about gays, and it'll be 10 years until American society considers them the same as other groups in that respect.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#26 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

none

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:49 PM

View Postmrdannyg, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 4:19 PM, said:

Yes."They are going to have to uproot an entire body of law to stop us" To me, this screams of hate speech and/or threats.I felt that more strongly before I had to explain it. I'm kind of coming up blank. It implies that they know what they are doing is harmful, but are misusing laws and the system to keep doing it.I like Randy's point about being terrorist, especially when the funeral isn't for a gay soldier, but that's a slippery slope I'd rather avoid.If this was about anything other than gays, it would be considered hateful. Women, blacks, you name it. It'd be hateful. But it's about gays, and it'll be 10 years until American society considers them the same as other groups in that respect.
Are you saying that people should not be allowed to say things that some people find "hateful"?

#27 SweetDee

SweetDee

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Hold em

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:13 PM

View Postvbnautilus, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 4:49 PM, said:

Are you saying that people should not be allowed to say things that some people find "hateful"?
And if so what is hate?
Don't you guys think that the puncher probably just mistook Snookers for a mean little goblin? Like, he was all drunk and it was dark and some goblin starts yelling at him, he was probably like, oh shit there's a monster in the club!, and then he just reacted without thinking and punched a bitch.- Tim Wakefield

#28 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

View Postmrdannyg, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 3:19 PM, said:

I like Randy's point about being terrorist, especially when the funeral isn't for a gay soldier, but that's a slippery slope I'd rather avoid.
Actually, I'd argue that it's less of a terrorist act (if we're going to use that phrase, which we shouldn't) when it wasn't a gay soldier. When it's not a gay soldier's funeral it's not nearly as personal, is it? They're just railing against the government and it's position on gays and such in this situation, but if it was a gay soldier they'd be directly spewing hate against the dude in the coffin.

View PostSweetDee, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 4:13 PM, said:

And if so what is hate?
Intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility.

#29 SweetDee

SweetDee

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 395 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:No Limit Hold em

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

View Postspeedz99, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 5:42 PM, said:

Actually, I'd argue that it's less of a terrorist act (if we're going to use that phrase, which we shouldn't) when it wasn't a gay soldier. When it's not a gay soldier's funeral it's not nearly as personal, is it? They're just railing against the government and it's position on gays and such in this situation, but if it was a gay soldier they'd be directly spewing hate against the dude in the coffin.Intense dislike; extreme aversion or hostility.
I guess I just don't get what the problem is exactly. By that definition hate speech goes on all day and night at every news outlet in the U.S., it's just the hate is fired in different directions. I mean, would it have been a problem if a pro-gay group showed up and spent 2 hours marching with signs talking about how awesome it was that this straight guy was a soldier and by being a soldier he supported gays, and hot damn he might as well be gay? Would the dad be suing then? If the answer is no then it's hypocritical of him to say the least. I like this thread is called "Interesting lawsuit" because it is but it also isn't. I can walk around all day in a shopping mall wearing a t-shirt that says "I hate whitey" and no one would care, but if I wore one that said "I hate negros" people would be shitting bricks, but the message is the same, and at the end of the day it's just a t-shirt, whether or not it effects anyone is a personal choice made by the reader. I just think this world would be 1000% better if we just learned to ignore ignorance. How cool would this story be if the dad had the courage to say "I don't like your message or the way in which you chose to deliver it but my son died so you can do exactly what it is that you are doing and in a way you honor him all the more. Have a great day fellas." Turn the other cheek if you will.
Don't you guys think that the puncher probably just mistook Snookers for a mean little goblin? Like, he was all drunk and it was dark and some goblin starts yelling at him, he was probably like, oh shit there's a monster in the club!, and then he just reacted without thinking and punched a bitch.- Tim Wakefield

#30 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

View PostSweetDee, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 5:23 PM, said:

I guess I just don't get what the problem is exactly. By that definition hate speech goes on all day and night at every news outlet in the U.S., it's just the hate is fired in different directions. I mean, would it have been a problem if a pro-gay group showed up and spent 2 hours marching with signs talking about how awesome it was that this straight guy was a soldier and by being a soldier he supported gays, and hot damn he might as well be gay? Would the dad be suing then? If the answer is no then it's hypocritical of him to say the least. I like this thread is called "Interesting lawsuit" because it is but it also isn't. I can walk around all day in a shopping mall wearing a t-shirt that says "I hate whitey" and no one would care, but if I wore one that said "I hate negros" people would be shitting bricks, but the message is the same, and at the end of the day it's just a t-shirt, whether or not it effects anyone is a personal choice made by the reader.
So, no offense (obviously), but you sound like someone that's never been discriminated against for anything in his life. Just saying. Not that what you're saying isn't completely rational.

View PostSweetDee, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 5:23 PM, said:

I just think this world would be 1000% better if we just learned to ignore ignorance. How cool would this story be if the dad had the courage to say "I don't like your message or the way in which you chose to deliver it but my son died so you can do exactly what it is that you are doing and in a way you honor him all the more. Have a great day fellas." Turn the other cheek if you will.
I agree, but it's easier said than done. If the dad ignored them, it wouldn't have even been a national story...the group probably is loving all the attention.

#31 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:04 AM

I wish there was a way for me to say what I want to say without pissing a bunch of people off. Those people offend me. Everything they say and stand for is completely opposite of what I believe and stand for. If I was around them I would probably go all Angry Steve on them. But I would not sue them in this instance because they didn't do anything illegal. They didn't do something they were not entitled to do based on laws or the Constitution. My main issue is this is just another story of someone who feels that if they don't like what someone else does they feel they can just sue them willy nilly. If I got to sue people who pissed me off or offended me in someway I would...well be poor because the attorney fees I would have to pay each day would clean me out.Being an American means that you have the right to express your opinions, no matter how ridiculous they are. People forget that if they don't agree with the opinions being expressed. Reminds me of Tuesday when one of my older tenants came down to shoot the shit with me which usually means he wants to fight with me about the car I drive. This is how the conversation goes.Him: You like that car.Me: Yup.Him: Why don't you buy American, your other car was foreign as well. Don't like America?Me: Of course I do. The best part of being an American is I have the freedom to drive any car I want to.
QUOTE (digitalmonkey @ Wednesday, August 18th, 2010, 1:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#32 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

9 Time Winner of the FCP 'Poster of the Year' Award

• Members
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:22 AM

View PostSBriand, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 12:04 PM, said:

I wish there was a way for me to say what I want to say without pissing a bunch of people off. Those people offend me. Everything they say and stand for is completely opposite of what I believe and stand for. If I was around them I would probably go all Angry Steve on them. But I would not sue them in this instance because they didn't do anything illegal. They didn't do something they were not entitled to do based on laws or the Constitution. My main issue is this is just another story of someone who feels that if they don't like what someone else does they feel they can just sue them willy nilly. If I got to sue people who pissed me off or offended me in someway I would...well be poor because the attorney fees I would have to pay each day would clean me out.Being an American means that you have the right to express your opinions, no matter how ridiculous they are. People forget that if they don't agree with the opinions being expressed. Reminds me of Tuesday when one of my older tenants came down to shoot the shit with me which usually means he wants to fight with me about the car I drive. This is how the conversation goes.Him: You like that car.Me: Yup.Him: Why don't you buy American, your other car was foreign as well. Don't like America?Me: Of course I do. The best part of being an American is I have the freedom to drive any car I want to.
Whoa whoa whoa. You drive a foreign car? You fucking communist. Get out of my sight.

View PostRon_Mexico, on 23 April 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Now that i've had a few drinks, I'm ready to admilt that the reason I dont post more is suited.

I hate every fiber of his being. He's awful and everything he writes is wrong, coupled with being annoying. Its uncanny how awful he is. If he was around when this thread was thriving, he would have killed it. Thankfully, he wasnt.

Maybe in the real world, he's not so awful (evidence says otherwise) but here, he makes me want to fight. Nobody makes me want to fight. Its beyond weird. I almost feel bad, but I dont

#33 speedz99

speedz99

• Members
  • 28,085 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:40 AM

View PostSBriand, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 9:04 AM, said:

My main issue is this is just another story of someone who feels that if they don't like what someone else does they feel they can just sue them willy nilly. If I got to sue people who pissed me off or offended me in someway I would...well be poor because the attorney fees I would have to pay each day would clean me out.
This wasn't someone coming into a leasing office and being kind of a jerk or a little bit racist. I don't think the guy deserved to win the lawsuit, but I completely understand what he was trying to do.

#34 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:52 AM

View PostSuitedAces21, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 1:22 PM, said:

Whoa whoa whoa. You drive a foreign car? You fucking communist. Get out of my sight.
lolhey now, there is a small town in Ohio full of Americans who are very happy I got a Honda.

View Postspeedz99, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 1:40 PM, said:

This wasn't someone coming into a leasing office and being kind of a jerk or a little bit racist. I don't think the guy deserved to win the lawsuit, but I completely understand what he was trying to do.
True.But it still is a frivolous lawsuit in my opinion.
Steve,

It doesn't matter who you start because you have a horse shoe up your ass so far I'm not really sure how you get through the day. You must be gay.

#35 vbnautilus

vbnautilus

none

• Members
  • 10,326 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

View PostSBriand, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 10:52 AM, said:

But it still is a frivolous lawsuit in my opinion.
The Supreme Court does not agree with you.If there were no real legal issue here they would not have agreed to hear the case.

#36 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

View Postvbnautilus, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 2:28 PM, said:

The Supreme Court does not agree with you.If there were no real legal issue here they would not have agreed to hear the case.
I believe, in my opinion as stated, that the case had no bunnies. The district court (jury I am assuming) believed it did. The Appeals Court believed it didn't. Clearly there is an issue here that needs to be looked into and that is why we have a the Supreme Court. Just because they decided to hear the case doesn't automatically mean the case had bunnies. The Supreme Court has yet to agree or disagree with me. Hearing the case is different than ruling on the case.
Steve,

#37 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

9 Time Winner of the FCP 'Poster of the Year' Award

• Members
  • 25,357 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

View PostSBriand, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 1:50 PM, said:

Just because they decided to hear the case doesn't automatically mean the case had merit.
This doesnt make sense to me. The Sup Ct. doesnt hear cases that have no merit. Obviously they feel this issue is an important one that needs to be addressed. Otherwise, why would they hear it?

View PostRon_Mexico, on 23 April 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Now that i've had a few drinks, I'm ready to admilt that the reason I dont post more is suited.

I hate every fiber of his being. He's awful and everything he writes is wrong, coupled with being annoying. Its uncanny how awful he is. If he was around when this thread was thriving, he would have killed it. Thankfully, he wasnt.

Maybe in the real world, he's not so awful (evidence says otherwise) but here, he makes me want to fight. Nobody makes me want to fight. Its beyond weird. I almost feel bad, but I dont

#38 SBriand

SBriand

Viva La Beaver!

• Members
  • 15,097 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

View PostSuitedAces21, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 2:57 PM, said:

This doesnt make sense to me. The Sup Ct. doesnt hear cases that have no merit. Obviously they feel this issue is an important one that needs to be addressed. Otherwise, why would they hear it?
I am the one who thinks it has no merit. Not the SC. Well and the appeals court. You don't take away a guys $5mill and then ask him to pay the wackjobs attorney fees if you think the case wasn't something that should have been tried. Maybe I am using merit wrong. Sudafed makes me loopy. Plus I drive a honda.Edit: Yeah I am going to replace merit with bunnies. I like that word better.
Steve,

#39 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,359 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

View Postvbnautilus, on Thursday, April 1st, 2010, 8:49 PM, said:

Is that not part of the Free Speech act? That it discludes 'hate' speech, or something like that?Anyhow, I think there should be (is?) restrictions on speech that is hateful and provoking. Not that it should be disallowed, just restricted.I realize some Americans are probably losing their shit right now, that I'm suggesting to abolish free speech. That's a load. Free speech is a misused and pointless aspect of 'freedom.' The government enacts laws that allows them to monitor anyone without a public record of why, and arrest people without giving a reason...free speech is a long way off.

#40 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

Cheese Salesman

• Members
  • 20,359 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

View PostSBriand, on Friday, April 2nd, 2010, 3:50 PM, said:

I believe, in my opinion as stated, that the case had no bunnies. The district court (jury I am assuming) believed it did. The Appeals Court believed it didn't. Clearly there is an issue here that needs to be looked into and that is why we have a the Supreme Court. Just because they decided to hear the case doesn't automatically mean the case had bunnies. The Supreme Court has yet to agree or disagree with me. Hearing the case is different than ruling on the case.
That's not accurate. The appeal court wouldn't have heard the case if it didn't feel it had bunnies. Similarly, the Supreme Court hears a tiny percentage of cases that get appealed to it. The fact that it has been accepted by them is big news in itself, and confirms they think at least some aspect of the case is bunny....as far as I understand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users