Phil Gordon Makes A Good Point About The Wpt Lawsuit, Don't Be Bias, Read

I was on Full Tilt Poker and saw Phil Gordon playing in a omaha game right after I noticed he was one of the 7 involved with the recent lawsuit against the WPT. Here is the conversation I had with him, he didn't want me to post it and I was going to respect his wishes until I see a bunch of hate directed towards him. This may open up your eyes more and understand what is really going on with this lawsuit.---------------------------------------------Full tilt poker chat---------------------------------------------Dealer: Phil Gordon shows a flush, Ace highDealer: Phil Gordon wins the pot ($784) with a flush, Ace highDealer: Hand #874431309Gambino23 (Observer): Phil is a traitor Gambino23 (Observer): Wptlawsuit.comGambino23 (Observer): Cant believe this stuffGambino23 (Observer): Daniel Negreanu is so mad about thisPhil Gordon: Gambino, get educatedDealer: hAAydon wins the pot ($38.95)Dealer: Hand #874433863Gambino23 (Observer): Well maybe I am taking sides thoPhil Gordon: if you're going to comment, don't do so ignorantlyGambino23 (Observer): I goto Daniel Negreanus site a lot and just hear his point of view and Raymer go off on himPhil Gordon: Daniel is not being overly intelligent about this issuePhil Gordon: in my opinionPhil Gordon: and yes, we're friends and will be regardlesss of his stancekartracer63: why no pocket cams on ppv ?Gambino23 (Observer): Phil I think your a great guy, hell you sent me your autograph, im just a little shock thats all about who filed the suit. Dont get me wrong I plan on fully reading everyones point of view but I just found out you were involvedPhil Gordon: but he is spealing without really understanding the legal issuesDealer: FromAbove wins the pot ($28.50)Dealer: Hand #874440289SonnyJonez (Observer): Hiya philGambino23 (Observer): the point Daniel made about most poker players wouldnt be where they are today of WPT is true tho dont you think?Gambino23 (Observer): WPT created such a great image for so many poker playersPhil Gordon: think about it and the players involved: do you really think we would file this suit if you didn't think it had real merit and would HELP the players?Gambino23 (Observer): Very true...Dealer: jersey cows shows two pair, Aces and FivesDealer: hic shows a full house, Fives full of FoursDealer: hic wins the pot ($168) with a full house, Fives full of FoursDealer: Hand #874445668Phil Gordon: think for just a minute... think about the 7 players that filed the suit... think that it has already cost us about 200k in legal feesPhil Gordon: fees that none of the other players are payingPhil Gordon: our lawyers are not dumbasses - - they are the best antitrust legal counsel in the business, they won free agency for NFL, NBA, MLB, and othershic: kk no good ehDealer: kartracer63 wins the pot ($105)Dealer: Hand #874449103Phil Gordon: they would not back this suit unless they thought it had meritPhil Gordon: what the WPT is doing is CRIMINAL and ILLEGAL and will not be allowed to continuePhil Gordon: periodDealer: FromAbove has 15 seconds left to actGambino23 (Observer): That does make me wonder what's really going on...like I said everyone kept talking about this "group of 7 players" and talking down on them....but after realizing who is on it like Howard Chris F Hachem you Raymer makes me think twice Dealer: FromAbove has timed outPhil Gordon: read the lawsuit.hic: theres my flopPhil Gordon: www.wptlawsuit.comPhil Gordon: ask a lawyer friendPhil Gordon: read the WPT release for gods sakeSystem: Tonight at 12:00AM ET there will be a $69+$6/Token NL Hold'em tournament with a $12,000 guaranteed prize pool.Gambino23 (Observer): You know Phil I give you a lot more credit talking about it to some average Joe like myself and sharing your opinion that actually shows a lotPhil Gordon: think about how you'd feel if you won a tournament and then walked down the street to see your face all over a billboard for WPT #@! cream.Dealer: hAAydon has 15 seconds left to actGambino23 (Observer): I just found out about the site and the 7, and saw you on so I would say I jumped the gun without all the knowledge. Dealer: hAAydon shows two pair, Jacks and FivesDealer: hAAydon wins the pot ($546.90) with two pair, Jacks and FivesDealer: Hand #874457752Phil Gordon: the issue is simple: they force you to sign an illegal releaseGambino23 (Observer): Yeah I would feel like I got taken advantage ofPhil Gordon: that release states that they can use your name, likeness, and image FOR ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER FOR THE REST OF TIME.Dealer: jersey cows shows [Ac 6h Qs Ah]Dealer: kartracer63 shows [5h 3s 4h 7d]Dealer: jersey cows wins the side pot ($18.80)Dealer: jersey cows shows three of a kind, AcesDealer: kartracer63 shows a pair of ThreesDealer: jersey cows wins the main pot ($36.35) with three of a kind, AcesPhil Gordon: Even if the current management isn't going to use that power (and they have, by the way) there is no guarantee that the future management would be kindDealer: Hand #874462006actiondavidk (Observer): hello philPhil Gordon: we have to put a stop to this exploitation now. end of story. and I'm willing to put up a couple hundred thousand of my own money so that the players that HAVEN"T gotten famous from this poker boom yet don't get taken advantage of. If anything, Gambino23 (Observer): The thing I would wonder is, if the WPT will black ball you in future tournaments regardless of the result of the lawsuit?Dealer: FromAbove wins the pot ($87)Dealer: Hand #874465787Phil Gordon: I would thijnk that the players of the world would thank us profusely.Phil Gordon: and now, back to poker.Dealer: jersey cows wins the pot ($69)Dealer: Hand #874468700Dealer: FromAbove has 5 seconds left to actDealer: FromAbove has timed outGambino23 (Observer): well Phil maybe I shouldnt have mentioned it while your in a hand, I was just really wondering what was going on. I really appreciate you responding to it, cuz everyone is talking about itPhil Gordon: and they should beDealer: kartracer63 shows [Qh As Ah Qs]Dealer: hic shows [Ts 9s 9d 5c]Phil Gordon: please tell your friends to check out the siteDealer: kartracer63 shows a flush, Ace highDealer: hic shows a flush, King highDealer: kartracer63 wins the pot ($381) with a flush, Ace highPhil Gordon: www.wptlawsuit.comDealer: Hand #874472933Gambino23 (Observer): who is the head guy taken action, you?Phil Gordon: BTW, I've asked Daniel for a video debate... no word yet.AFRONINJA (Observer): phil why dont u roshambo them instead? that way you will win guaranteedSystem: Tonight at 12:00AM ET there is a $10+$1 Midnight Madness tournament with a $5,000 guaranteed prize pool.Gambino23 (Observer): Are you in charge of the website?Phil Gordon: no, there is no "head guy" -- we're all equal complaintantsPhil Gordon: no

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Gordon: think about how you'd feel if you won a tournament and then walked down the street to see your face all over a billboard for WPT #@! cream.
bwahhhaaaaI would #@! cream if he won one!

here's my question for the 7 - and I still haven't heard it asked or answered...Why not just skip the WPT tournaments? There are tournaments all over the world all the time...Seriously, nobody is *making* them play in these tournmanets...They are choosing to play and want to play and then complaining about the rules...Skip them - period. It's the same as complaining about the vig on certain events...people love to complain about that - and some people do skip them when they feel it's unfair...but seriously, it should be an acceptable alternative to not participate in these events if you don't like the way they are run. Nobody is *entitled* to have the rules changed.please - somebody - the next time you're chatting it up w/ one of the 7 - ask them this....

Thanks for the if anything,at least interesting, and informative post. and to the 2 people who negatively replied: how do daniels balls taste? you gay fan boys.Sailor moon avatar. nuff said

let me summarize:Phil you are a traitor"no I am not"Holy crap a "famous" person acknowleged my existance. Never mind phil. you are the best everI know. The lawsuit is good because (insert same crap here)Wow phil your buns are tight. Let me massage them for you.

Thanks for the if anything,at least interesting, and informative post. and to the 2 people who negatively replied: how do daniels balls taste? you gay fan boys.Sailor moon avatar. nuff said
You did change your tune once he acknowledged your presence. I am in sales and have seen that "Deer-headlights" look. Not bashing you, just saying....

Gambino23 (Observer): Phil is a traitor Gambino23 (Observer): Wptlawsuit.comGambino23 (Observer): Cant believe this stuffGambino23 (Observer): Daniel Negreanu is so mad about thisPhil Gordon: Gambino, get educatedGambino23 (Observer): Well maybe I am taking sides thoPhil Gordon: if you're going to comment, don't do so ignorantlyGambino23 (Observer): I goto Daniel Negreanus site a lot and just hear his point of view and Raymer go off on himPhil Gordon: Daniel is not being overly intelligent about this issuePhil Gordon: in my opinionPhil Gordon: and yes, we're friends and will be regardlesss of his stanceGambino23 (Observer): Phil I think your a great guy, hell you sent me your autograph, im just a little shock thats all about who filed the suit. Dont get me wrong I plan on fully reading everyones point of view but I just found out you were involvedPhil Gordon: but he is spealing without really understanding the legal issuesGambino23 (Observer): the point Daniel made about most poker players wouldnt be where they are today of WPT is true tho dont you think?Gambino23 (Observer): WPT created such a great image for so many poker playersPhil Gordon: think about it and the players involved: do you really think we would file this suit if you didn't think it had real merit and would HELP the players?Gambino23 (Observer): Very true...Phil Gordon: think for just a minute... think about the 7 players that filed the suit... think that it has already cost us about 200k in legal feesPhil Gordon: fees that none of the other players are payingPhil Gordon: our lawyers are not dumbasses - - they are the best antitrust legal counsel in the business, they won free agency for NFL, NBA, MLB, and othersPhil Gordon: they would not back this suit unless they thought it had meritPhil Gordon: what the WPT is doing is CRIMINAL and ILLEGAL and will not be allowed to continuePhil Gordon: periodGambino23 (Observer): That does make me wonder what's really going on...like I said everyone kept talking about this "group of 7 players" and talking down on them....but after realizing who is on it like Howard Chris F Hachem you Raymer makes me think twice Phil Gordon: read the lawsuit.Phil Gordon: www.wptlawsuit.comPhil Gordon: ask a lawyer friendPhil Gordon: read the WPT release for gods sakeGambino23 (Observer): You know Phil I give you a lot more credit talking about it to some average Joe like myself and sharing your opinion that actually shows a lotPhil Gordon: think about how you'd feel if you won a tournament and then walked down the street to see your face all over a billboard for WPT #@! cream.Gambino23 (Observer): I just found out about the site and the 7, and saw you on so I would say I jumped the gun without all the knowledge. Phil Gordon: the issue is simple: they force you to sign an illegal releaseGambino23 (Observer): Yeah I would feel like I got taken advantage ofPhil Gordon: that release states that they can use your name, likeness, and image FOR ANY PURPOSE WHATSOEVER FOR THE REST OF TIME.Phil Gordon: Even if the current management isn't going to use that power (and they have, by the way) there is no guarantee that the future management would be kindPhil Gordon: we have to put a stop to this exploitation now. end of story. and I'm willing to put up a couple hundred thousand of my own money so that the players that HAVEN"T gotten famous from this poker boom yet don't get taken advantage of. If anything, Gambino23 (Observer): The thing I would wonder is, if the WPT will black ball you in future tournaments regardless of the result of the lawsuit?Phil Gordon: I would thijnk that the players of the world would thank us profusely.Phil Gordon: and now, back to poker.Gambino23 (Observer): well Phil maybe I shouldnt have mentioned it while your in a hand, I was just really wondering what was going on. I really appreciate you responding to it, cuz everyone is talking about itPhil Gordon: and they should bePhil Gordon: please tell your friends to check out the sitePhil Gordon: www.wptlawsuit.comGambino23 (Observer): who is the head guy taken action, you?Phil Gordon: BTW, I've asked Daniel for a video debate... no word yet.Gambino23 (Observer): Are you in charge of the website?Phil Gordon: no, there is no "head guy" -- we're all equal complaintantsPhil Gordon: no

lol.....................sailor moon good eyeall around i think there are balls that are being tasted all over this thread

It annoys me to no end that Gordon, Bloch, and co. contuniously use that, "How would you feel if they made a bobblehead with your image on it and didn't pay you!" Right, first of all because selling Bloch bobbleheads would earn the company millions and millions of dollars :club: The WPT has done NOTHING like that... ever! They have NEVER used a players name and likeness inappropriately to sell products. Not once. There is no "smoking gun." These players overvalue their self worth to the WPT in a big way. The WPT doesn't need them one bit frankly. If they never played in another WPT event I don't think the WPT would suffer one bit.

89 User(s) are reading this topic (57 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)32 Members: triplec, silkyjonson, Canuckickstan, bengy3, Suckaboo, AgentKdoubleO, Mikey Ravioli, HillP, DanielNegreanu, OrangeWun, psujohn, Randy Reed, YanksSuck67, JaxxVain, Seattleallstar, wsox8, ahosang, Guitarmy, Laffer, crowTrobot, Squamch, bdungy22, SteveyD, JMnsto, Belanger25, Dark Gaia, Porcupine, Norhas99, Kid Phoenix, jumpmanwu, BS, canucahhhhem....................Daniel's bringing the heat!

My views on Phil Gordon are in no way affected by my views of Daniel Negreanu. I have never liked Phil Gordon and never liked any of his comments on anything regarding poker. I don't even play poker anymore, and the only reason I post here once or twice out of the week is because I enjoy laughing at some of the comments on here not because this is Daniel's forum. I don't come here anymore to post hand histories or try to make an informative post that will make people think, because this place(general "poker" forum) has turned into an absolute joke with 20 million threads about the same damn thingsI couldn't care less who wins this stupid lawsuit and who is for/against it. It's all a stupid whiny sick joke that these lifetime "pro" luckbox's feel they need to do to make poker "better."And I was only stating what is true, Phil Gordon hasn't won a bracelet.
I think Phil has come off great in all of these. And in this one, I think he makes a few good points about the lawsuit itself. Kudos to Phil for not taking the low-road.
He calls the OP ignorant for having an opinion. He calls Daniel's POV unintelligent. He says Daniel has no idea about the legality of the case when in fact Daniel has said he's talked to multiple lawyers about the case.Phil didn't come off as a jackass, but I don't know if I'd say he took the high road.
It annoys me to no end that Gordon, Bloch, and co. contuniously use that, "How would you feel if they made a bobblehead with your image on it and didn't pay you!" Right, first of all because selling Bloch bobbleheads would earn the company millions and millions of dollars :club: The WPT has done NOTHING like that... ever! They have NEVER used a players name and likeness inappropriately to sell products. Not once. There is no "smoking gun." These players overvalue their self worth to the WPT in a big way. The WPT doesn't need them one bit frankly. If they never played in another WPT event I don't think the WPT would suffer one bit.
As far as I know, they have'nt abused that power, and it seems from what you've said that Berman is a decent guy and is not using the players likeness to a point that would overstep boundaries.But Daniel what if the company was sold? Then at that point many players including yourself could have their image attached to all kinds of products, from someone who does'nt give a sh*t about the players and just wants to exploit as much as possible.To me if there was a time to fight against this then this would be the time, before it is to late and the players have been exploited to sell SWANK magazines.Just what I view from the situation feel free to give some counter points

Couldn't this all go away if the WPT compromised and revised the release that they make players sign to do away with the possibility that they could make Andy Bloch Bobbleheads, etc? Since they have never made such things and wil not in the future, why not revise their release to do away with the possibility?

Why doesn't Full Tilt and Pokerstars change their contracts to allow their high profile players the ability to promote the sites on the WPT. Why don't they take legal action against FTP. If that happened then maybe everyone could shut the **** up on this topic. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. If you want to do something (play in WPT) and they have rules .... follow them or don't play. Nowhere on the Bill of Rights or Constitution does it say that : "someday there will something called television, and on this device people will be able to watch televised tournaments of a game called poker. These games will be run by a company known as the World Poker Tour. An all Amercans shall have the right to play". Don't want to sign it ... fine don't play. I'd like to play in those events too. But they have a rule I can't abide by. They require you to fork over $10K and I can't do that. (I only have $200).Should I call my attorney (from the legal hut at the mall) and have legal action taken against the WPT because they are discriminating against the poor? No. I wouldn't. because that would be retarded.

Phil does seem like a class guy and while the suit does have some merit, perhaps the timing isn't right.Why not wait until the WPT does something underhanded before filing. For the pro's the world has never been better since the WPT. 7 people think it should be even better yet. Guys not in the suit (like DN) are just trying to protect how good they have it. Don't get greedy. Although the day I see a Greg Raymer diet and excercise video released by the WPT, I will side with the 7.

Daniel is by far my favorite player, but you gotta read the lawsuit.The lawsuit gives examples of the WPT placing tournament images and videos of players into video games and other non-strictly WPT tournament promotions.The players have no problem with WPT utilizing footage for promoting that one tournament; it's the other free usage of the footage for other WPT products that's crossing the line.I am curious if Daniel's deal with FCP technically shouldn't allow him to compete in WPT events due to the release.And now, I guess I'm ready to be flamed.

Daniel, didn't you mention once in your blog that there was 1 time they used I think your likeness and Jesus' likeness in a banner add or something but than quickly took it down when requested? It was nice of them to take it down but I think the point is more the fact that they didn't have to. Phil made 1 good point, current management may not plan on doing it, but future managment might give them the big FU.Now I personally don't give a rats arse about who is right or wrong but the timing is pitiful.

Well, as for the "ignorant" comment, the guy had just called Phil Gordon a traitor, and I'm sure in Gordon's eyes, that is an ignorant comment. And what he said about Daniel was something to the effect of "he's not being overly intellient on this matter," which I think is a very respectful way of saying someone is wrong. I don't know who's right or who's wrong, because if the release is truly illegal, then it's illegal. I have no idea if it is or not. But it's good to see Gordon has an opposing veiw point, which he's entitled to, but doesn't go out of his way to insult other people.

Why doesn't Full Tilt and Pokerstars change their contracts to allow their high profile players the ability to promote the sites on the WPT. Why don't they take legal action against FTP. If that happened then maybe everyone could shut the **** up on this topic. This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. If you want to do something (play in WPT) and they have rules .... follow them or don't play. Nowhere on the Bill of Rights or Constitution does it say that : "someday there will something called television, and on this device people will be able to watch televised tournaments of a game called poker. These games will be run by a company known as the World Poker Tour. An all Amercans shall have the right to play". Don't want to sign it ... fine don't play. I'd like to play in those events too. But they have a rule I can't abide by. They require you to fork over $10K and I can't do that. (I only have $200).Should I call my attorney (from the legal hut at the mall) and have legal action taken against the WPT because they are discriminating against the poor? No. I wouldn't. because that would be retarded.
Thank you for the sprinkle of intelligence on our WPT banana sunday....I said good day sir...........