You're going to have to explain what that game is all about..I watched for an hour and turned to lawn bowling instead when I was in London.

I'll have to take your word for it. I know it's popular around the world, or t least where ever the English ruled at one time or another, but I usaully like to watch sports I can play, or at least would want to play.More power to you

if you want tow atch real cricket, watch the aussies play.
I loved the aussies playing rugby/football.That was a very well wasted 2 hours

To really appreciate cricket I think you have to be in Australia.Think of a hot day, 100+ in farenheit, when you really don't want to do anything that requires concious thought over your holidays.Now you have the perfect excuse to sit around for 5 days, drink beer, and watch TV. Its awesome.There is also a hell of a lot in the game - apart from golf its about the only game where the changing conditions throughout play really have a tremendous effect on the game, but its far more confrontational.To me baseball to cricket is like checkers to chess - broadly similar, but with a lot less variables in play.

You could watch cricket in Australia but if you want to watch the holders of the Ashes, England is the place, especially Lancashire the home of Freddie Flintoff (I'll probably have to explain the Ashes to the American's now), I see a lot of similarites with poker and cricket, the fact that the action happens in short bursts, patience waiting for the right ball/hand, the mental battle between bat and ball etc.

Cricket made simple:You have two sides, one out on the field and the other in.Each man in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in, and the next man goes out till he's out.When the side that's in is all out, the side that been out comes in and the side that been in goes out and tries to get out the side that's coming in.Sometimes you get men still in and not out when the side that is in is finally out. When both sides have been in and out, including those who are in and not out, that's the end of the game. :club:

Cricket - Simple ExplanationYou have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out. When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!Hope this helps!

Ok dudes im half English half Australian and have lived in both contries for large portions of my life, but sadly i have to betray my English heratage when it comes to cricket.Anybody who knows anything about cricket knows the massive advantage of playing at home, and England has the 2nd biggest advantage next to India. If anybody believes that England can beat Australia at home they are living in a fairy world. Also factor in the very poor form of the team on that tour, Australia played badly and England played well, yet England just got home in 2 test matches that could have gone either way. Australia also have 3 batsmen ranked in the top 10 in the world for tests, England have one and Australia have the 2nd the 3rd ranked bowlers in the world compared to like 6-7 for England.The International Cricket Rankings also show the large gap between australia and the other nations who are close.Team Matches Points Rating 1 Australia 47 6064 129 2 England 46 5207 113 3 India 42 4671 111 4 Pakistan 34 3660 108 the one day rankings are even more lopsided with Australia 1 by a mile and England like 7thSorry to those who dont like it but i have to admit that Australia has been the best cricket nation for the last 10 years and will most likely be for the next 2+.P.S. Did u all hear about Justin Langer? Hit in the head 1st ball of his 100th test match and never made it back on the field, spent most of the test in hospital. Poor guyohh and Daniel, the stats, planning, theories and anticipation are what make cricket the greatest game in the world for me. Anybody male that i have met in my life who has spent the time to learn cricket has become and addict.My girlfriend does get upset thogh when i tell her im planning to spend 10:20am-10:00+ pm of my Sunday watching cricket, with no intention of going out anywhere. :club:

If you want to see real cricket, watch the english play. The lastest Ashes test series demonstrated our superiority over those one time convicts we sent abroad.
Yes, winning one series against us convicts in the last 20 years is reason to gloat. Problem is, you won't get another chance to gloat for another 20 years.
Ok dudes im half English half Australian and have lived in both contries for large portions of my life, but sadly i have to betray my English heratage when it comes to cricket.Anybody who knows anything about cricket knows the massive advantage of playing at home, and England has the 2nd biggest advantage next to India. If anybody believes that England can beat Australia at home they are living in a fairy world. Also factor in the very poor form of the team on that tour, Australia played badly and England played well, yet England just got home in 2 test matches that could have gone either way. Australia also have 3 batsmen ranked in the top 10 in the world for tests, England have one and Australia have the 2nd the 3rd ranked bowlers in the world compared to like 6-7 for England.The International Cricket Rankings also show the large gap between australia and the other nations who are close.Team Matches Points Rating 1 Australia 47 6064 129 2 England 46 5207 113 3 India 42 4671 111 4 Pakistan 34 3660 108 the one day rankings are even more lopsided with Australia 1 by a mile and England like 7thSorry to those who dont like it but i have to admit that Australia has been the best cricket nation for the last 10 years and will most likely be for the next 2+.P.S. Did u all hear about Justin Langer? Hit in the head 1st ball of his 100th test match and never made it back on the field, spent most of the test in hospital. Poor guyohh and Daniel, the stats, planning, theories and anticipation are what make cricket the greatest game in the world for me. Anybody male that i have met in my life who has spent the time to learn cricket has become and addict.My girlfriend does get upset thogh when i tell her im planning to spend 10:20am-10:00+ pm of my Sunday watching cricket, with no intention of going out anywhere. :club:
I agree, however it was England who won the Ashes and so we get to gloat until the Aussies win it back!!! :D That is the whole point of the competition isn't it??Australia didn't play badly, they just weren't the same Australia we've seen before, MacGrath is getting to old and I think some of the Aussies thought it was going to be easy. England outplayed them mentally and with some great tactics....look at Flintoff bowling to Gilchrist or Hoggard to Hayden. I do agree that England suck at one day cricket, we're hopeless!!
I agree, however it was England who won the Ashes and so we get to gloat until the Aussies win it back!!! :club: That is the whole point of the competition isn't it??Australia didn't play badly, they just weren't the same Australia we've seen before, MacGrath is getting to old and I think some of the Aussies thought it was going to be easy. England outplayed them mentally and with some great tactics....look at Flintoff bowling to Gilchrist or Hoggard to Hayden. I do agree that England suck at one day cricket, we're hopeless!!
well MacGrath missed 2 tests due to injury so u cant look into that to hard. The bigger issue was jason gillespie, he lost all form. Flintoff outplayed gilchrist but hayden along with martin and clark were just out of form. England find trouble when they dont have the duke balls and they cant swing them as much in the hotter conditions overseas.Also peterson is a moron. I remember him claiming 2 catches that he MUST have known were grassed, i cant respect a guy who does that. He also has a huge ego for a guy just starting as a test player, it will be interesting to see how he goes when his form slumps.The other new factor to introduce is the Hussy factor. Averaging 110 over like 30 ODI's and 70 over like 10 tests..... its looking good considering he is already a mature player.
well MacGrath missed 2 tests due to injury so u cant look into that to hard. The bigger issue was jason gillespie, he lost all form. Flintoff outplayed gilchrist but hayden along with martin and clark were just out of form. England find trouble when they dont have the duke balls and they cant swing them as much in the hotter conditions overseas.Also peterson is a moron. I remember him claiming 2 catches that he MUST have known were grassed, i cant respect a guy who does that. He also has a huge ego for a guy just starting as a test player, it will be interesting to see how he goes when his form slumps.The other new factor to introduce is the Hussy factor. Averaging 110 over like 30 ODI's and 70 over like 10 tests..... its looking good considering he is already a mature player.
Hayden and co may have been out of form but that's what the mental side all comes down to in the end, Hayden and Martin are two that I'd accuse of being over complaicent and this was why they weren't at their best.McGrath's body is breaking down, he's only playing every other game now either because of injury or because the Aussies are trying to save him for the World Cup/next Ashes series. He's probably the best seam bowler of all time so it'll be sad when he finally retires. Australia have always had great back-up players but now they have no depth in bowling and this is their weak spot (although they will have great bowlers in 12 months now that Troy Cooley has gone to work for them, very short sighted of the English management, it'll be interesting to seee how Shane Watson develops under him)Of course Warne will keep going as long as his shoulder holds up.Pieterson needs to grow up and learn how to bat responsibly, you can't just keep slogging it!England now have a very good squad with good back up players so I'm looking forward to the winter and the return series!! Should be fun!!Do we get a cricket forum now Daniel's a fan??
You could watch cricket in Australia but if you want to watch the holders of the Ashes, England is the place, especially Lancashire the home of Freddie Flintoff (I'll probably have to explain the Ashes to the American's now), I see a lot of similarites with poker and cricket, the fact that the action happens in short bursts, patience waiting for the right ball/hand, the mental battle between bat and ball etc.
I actually know about the ashes, but from Douglas Adams book.I like to waste time as much as the rest guy, so I will purposely NOT give cricket a try. Last thing I need is to add cricket to my Tivo, when the poker, golf, and 24 already max out my memory.But you guys make me want to want to learn this sport.
Cricket made simple:You have two sides, one out on the field and the other in.Each man in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in, and the next man goes out till he's out.When the side that's in is all out, the side that been out comes in and the side that been in goes out and tries to get out the side that's coming in.Sometimes you get men still in and not out when the side that is in is finally out. When both sides have been in and out, including those who are in and not out, that's the end of the game. :club:
Oh, now I understand it clearly. But what if when you're out, you get in when instead of being in you're out? I mean, if I was in but was supposed to be out I would be really upset, unless I was told to be in. But out is the way to play I guess, so I'm not in unless I have to be out.
I like to waste time as much as the rest guy, so I will purposely NOT give cricket a try. Last thing I need is to add cricket to my Tivo, when the poker, golf, and 24 already max out my memory.But you guys make me want to want to learn this sport.
Argh! You bloody savage, you can't Tivo cricket man! It absolutely has to be watched live.Also, due to their being so much downtime in cricket, the commentators you're listening to are extremely important.On the Ashes, England comprehensively outplayed us IMO, and it was pretty much Warney and our tailenders batting that gave us more of a chance than we deserved.OTOH, for England to take over as the worlds best, they need to beat us in Australia (possible, but unlikely) much the same way we had to beat the West Indies over there in 95 to be the best.
Also, due to their being so much downtime in cricket, the commentators you're listening to are extremely important.
Got to love Richie!
On the Ashes, England comprehensively outplayed us IMO, and it was pretty much Warney and our tailenders batting that gave us more of a chance than we deserved.
Don't know if I'd say that. A few key points decided the whole series. -McGrath stepping on the football-Warney droping Peiterson in the fifth test-Pontings decision to bowl first at Edgbaston- A number of questionable umpiring decisions (that went both ways)

The wicket at Lords is probably the best wicket in the world for McGrath though, so predicting his performance to continue in that fashion through the rest of the series might have been wrong anyways. He hasn't had anywhere near the impact in the tests he's played since.Warney dropped that catch, but there were plenty dropped on the other side of the coin that could have been pointed to as well.Pontings decision is bad in hindsight, but you have to remember that he's used to having a gun attack behind him, and at that point it hadn't become completely clear that Kaspa and Gillespie weren't up to it yet.For me the biggest problem was our selections - MacGill or Clark (who has since come on very strong in SA) would have made a huge difference in a series that really was about the bowling IMO.

So who is the Barry Bonds of cricket?
Shane Warne.And Pete Rose of Cricket: Hansie Cronje