I own a lot of the standard Sklansky, Warren, Gordon, Cloutier books. I think the" Ken Warren Teaches Texas Holdem" book is a GREAT starter book. Holdem Poker for Advanced Players has useful information but its not for the entry level player. It's a great reference tool as your game improves. I think the Lou Krieger books especially the second one "More Holdem Excellence" are valuable resources to anyones collection.My favorite book up to this point is "Small Stakes Holdem" by Ed Miller, David Sklansky and Mason Malmouth. It is in more or less the standard Sklansky form but it is clearly Ed Millers methods. I am only halfway thru this book and I turned a nice profit (over $200.00) the first time I sat down in a B&M game after reading just half of it. I am a member of PSO and a fairly solid NL player but the fixed limit games have always given me trouble. Not anymore! This book is great I highly recommend it.!Also: The second Howard Lederer "More Secrets of NL Holdem"DVD is a pretty solid purchase. Good luck with your game!

In Regards to the book "Low Limit Hold 'Em" By David Sklanksy, Mason Malmouth and... Ed Miller? I had no idea who he was! Well Sklansky and Malmouth recognized that they were not qualified to write this book alone, they didnt PLAY Low Limit Hold 'Em Games! They picked up Ed Miller, A guy who began playing and knew the Low Limit Game that is currently played in Vegas and on-line. This guy gives you a first hand experience, while Sklansky and Malmouth continue sharing there brilliance throughout the entire book.This is also the first book I experience IMMEDIATE Results with, I went on a huge run after reading up to page 156 (Haven't read it since those first 2 nights, new cardplayer magazine, new reason magazine, exams etc...) But to be quite honest, This is the only book I've picked up thats given immediate results, but you really have to be a pretty experienced player to read this and gather everything from it. I DO NOT recommend this as a first, second or third read for anyone.

In Regards to the book "Low Limit Hold 'Em" By David Sklanksy' date=' Mason Malmouth and... Ed Miller? I had no idea who he was!
Is the title you named correct? The name of the book that I have is Small Stakes Hold'em by Miller, Malmouth and Sklansky and it sounds the same. I haven't played a higher limit yet but am turning a little profit at the .5/10c at Poker Champs. (I really want to test out the theories of the book before moving to a bigger limit.)It is a good book but the thing is is that some of the things are slightly counterintuitive for someone who plays NL. It works from what I have seen. It is an aggressive style which is way different than most books that tell you to be tight (and somewhat weak).

In my opinion, the best book out there by far is Middle Limit Holdem by Ciaffone and Brier. If you play 10/20 or higher, this will dramatically help your game.My next favorite book is Zee's book on split games as well as his advanced stud book.For lower limit stud, Ashley Adams' book is quite good as well.

After hearing much about Doyle Brunson's Super System, I had to give it a shot. All in all its a good book, but some of the games that are written about are not very popular anymore like draw and 5 card lowball. It's also missing a section on Omaha. I suppose that's why the Super System 2 is out tho. If anyone has read it (Super System 2), i'd be interested in hearing about it. Especially about Daniel's writings. P

For me, I like the books like, "Poker Wisdom from a Champion" by Doyle Brunson. Because when you boil down books like "Super System" or "Play Poker Like the Pros", there can only be slight variation because they pretty much say the same thing. Books can't substitute for the real live experience, which is why I like books like "Poker Wisdom from a Champion" because in books like that stories are told, then he relates poker to the stories and he gives advice, not just, "Raise with A-K" and things like that.

For me, I like the books like, "Poker Wisdom from a Champion" by Doyle Brunson. Because when you boil down books like "Super System" or "Play Poker Like the Pros", there can only be slight variation because they pretty much say the same thing. Books can't substitute for the real live experience, which is why I like books like "Poker Wisdom from a Champion" because in books like that stories are told, then he relates poker to the stories and he gives advice, not just, "Raise with A-K" and things like that.
Well, saying that just shows that you haven't read any of those books. Because they are all very different. Try reading hellmuth's book, then switch over to Small Stakes Hold Em... no comparison. Play poker like the pro's is written for a beginner, but with advice that will make most beginners go broke. Every book has it's own good and bad points... so don't generalize till you read them all. (Note: not saying i've read them all... but probably 8 or 9 maybe)
what's everyone think of Lee Jones'  "Winning Low-Limit Hold'em?"
I like this book too...haven't read it through to the end, I got preoccupied with other books, but I got a good way through it and I think it's very good. I say if you want to read Small Stakes Hold Em.... Read this book first... gives you a little background for the more difficult read of SSHE.
Well, saying that just shows that you haven't read any of those books.  Because they are all very different.  Try reading hellmuth's book, then switch over to Small Stakes Hold Em... no comparison.  Play poker like the pro's is written for a beginner, but with advice that will make most beginners go broke.  Every book  has it's own good and bad points... so don't generalize till you read them all. (Note:  not saying i've read  them all... but probably 8 or 9 maybe)
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I have read them [not cover -to-cover, because I don't have that kind of time]. I own them, and I drew what I could from them, which is what happens with anyone. You can't tell someone what they have taken from a book and applied it to their own style.

Alright... But I didn't say it was a book for beginners... I said it was WRITTEN in a way for beginners. Meaning it's easy to read. Not saying that the ideas were beginning ideas. But there are plenty of people who would say that it's a good book to read early on. And I took things from it too. When I read it, I liked some things from it too...but when I read more, I changed my mind on parts. His style is very aggressive...with making bets to test the water type stuff....and if beginners play like that, they could possibly lose a lot of money. That's all I was saying. I don't claim to be a pro, or anything close to it... but the point was that all the books are not the same. There is actually a HUGE difference between most books. Unless you are reading books by the same author... and in that case, what did you expect? There are points to take from every book... and that is what I said in the first place... and that is exactly the opposite of what you were saying. "all the books say pretty much the same thing". <~~THAT is what I was saying isn't true. If someone actually wants to argue about that fact, feel free to waste your time.

TJ Cloutier's "Championship no limit and pot limit holdem" is the best book on the market for tournament play. It will turn a rookie into a decent tournament player if you simply stick to the style in the book. If you're in the first 30 mins of a tournament on pokerstars with lots of people in it, why would you play aq from early to even middle position?

If you are REAL serious about becoming a great poker player, I recommend Theory of Poker by Sklansky.