A New "move" In Tournament Poker

ok, so granted, this "move" just hit me twice to take me from the top 10 to bubbling out of the 20k on the ongame network, so i'm probably thinking it happens more than it does, but i really have seen it upwards of 5 times in the last two days. and i don't fucking get it.why have people suddenly started thinking that open limping big pairs in mid position is a good move? it's getting me kinda psyched out, and i know that it's a terrible play, but it does occasionally spike a real player and knock him/her out of a tournament. like me. today. twice.it's also made more powerful by just check/calling down to all undercards. at least against me.is this something that others are seeing on a regular basis?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive seen it before too. very sneaky especially near the bubble. I now have to think twice about pushing with 10 3 in the bb to mid and late positiom limpers at bubble time :club:

ive seen it before too. very sneaky especially near the bubble. I now have to think twice about pushing with 10 3 in the bb to mid and late positiom limpers at bubble time :club:
it's not sneaky. it's stupid. but it does get people every once in a while.

i haven't seen too many open limps. i have seen BB checks with AA before, which crippled me in a tournament on the bubble.5 handed, (yeah, small tournament), I raise UTG 3x BB with AJo, BB calls. Flop comes AJx. He checks, I bet half the pot, he calls. Turn comes J. He bets half the pot, I slow down, move all-in, he calls, and turns up rockets.NLHE is turning into a TAG until we look stupid game.

i haven't seen too many open limps. i have seen BB checks with AA before, which crippled me in a tournament on the bubble.5 handed, (yeah, small tournament), I raise UTG 3x BB with AJo, BB calls. Flop comes AJx. He checks, I bet half the pot, he calls. Turn comes J. He bets half the pot, I slow down, move all-in, he calls, and turns up rockets.
yeah, i mean, it's more reasonable to think that people would do this in a situation that they know will be HU.but the reason i'm asking this is that i kinda want to know if i should start worrying about this as some sort of new, widespread donk-strat that i have to be careful of. cuz right now, i'm not careful of it, because it doesn't make sense from mid position, and i've only seen it a couple of isolated times. it's cost me two cashes from a top-20 position in the last 2 days, so i'm wondering if i should start.
but the reason i'm asking this is that i kinda want to know if i should start worrying about this as some sort of new, widespread donk-strat that i have to be careful of. cuz right now, i'm not careful of it, because it doesn't make sense from mid position, and i've only seen it a couple of isolated times.
it still makes little sense from early position. yeah for deception, but i think what we're seeing is fish taking this "i can't ever win with aces" mentality to the highest extreme and trying to "minimize their losses"
it's not sneaky. it's stupid. but it does get people every once in a while.
i dont think its stupid. i dont do it myself but if you are disciplined enough to lay them down to ugly boards its somrthing that can be done to keep people confused about your play. it obviously worked against you or why else would you have started this thread.
i dont think its stupid. i dont do it myself but if you are disciplined enough to lay them down to ugly boards its somrthing that can be done to keep people confused about your play. it obviously worked against you or why else would you have started this thread.
lol, not from these guys.and this isn't a bad beat thread. i really am just wanting to get a general feel for how often this is happening these days, because i don't remember seeing it late-ish in tournaments EVER, unless it was the l/rr from ep thing.also, and unrelated: what does QFT mean? quite ****ing true?
lol, not from these guys.and this isn't a bad beat thread. i really am just wanting to get a general feel for how often this is happening these days, because i don't remember seeing it late-ish in tournaments EVER, unless it was the l/rr from ep thing.
CheckyI haven't been seeing this play too much, so I wouldn't worry about it. If people want to get their big hands cracked by limping mp...so be it.Now...I personally like this new double trap I am seeing. Let's say the button raises in a steal attempt. The SB on a short stack holding a vulnerable but strong hand like JJ just flat calls. Then the BB who is also short stacked wakes up with a hand like 99 and jams. The button folds his steal attempt and the SB instacalls and proudly shows his monster hand.You seen this move at all?
CheckyI haven't been seeing this play too much, so I wouldn't worry about it. If people want to get their big hands cracked by limping mp...so be it.Now...I personally like this new double trap I am seeing. Let's say the button raises in a steal attempt. The SB on a short stack holding a vulnerable but strong hand like JJ just flat calls. Then the BB who is also short stacked wakes up with a hand like 99 and jams. The button folds his steal attempt and the SB instacalls and proudly shows his monster hand.You seen this move at all?
lol. you, sir, can go to hell. but nh. :club:
lol. you, sir, can go to hell. but nh. :club:
Snicker...
I do it sometimes, does that make me a donk? :club:
MJ...question...u still on the laggy side?If so...why would u EVER not raise a big hand...Just askin?

Vick-I'm still fairly laggy, and on the bubble I never limp big hands obv. It was more a thing I do sometimes in late position when I know I wont be playing huge multiway. It's something I do to mix it up vs. weak players and to see if I can't stack them on a top pair for them/overpair for me board.

do you enjoy playing aces multiway in an important stage of a tournament?
I have no problem playing aces up to a 3 way pot. don't get me wrong i'm certainly no limp call donk. But occasionally early, I don't mind limiping big hands in middle/late position
I have no problem playing aces up to a 3 way pot. don't get me wrong i'm certainly no limp call donk. But occasionally early, I don't mind limiping big hands in middle/late position
i'm not trying to debate strategy, although i'd just say you're not raising often enough if you need to limp a big pair for deception. i'm really just trying to get an idea of how often this really happens, so i can be thinking about it in future MTTs. it's just been striking to me lately is all, and i don't know if i'm thinking it's more prevalent than it is.
i'm not trying to debate strategy, although i'd just say you're not raising often enough if you need to limp a big pair for deception. i'm really just trying to get an idea of how often this really happens, so i can be thinking about it in future MTTs. it's just been striking to me lately is all, and i don't know if i'm thinking it's more prevalent than it is.
lolololololol, i guess you haven't ever seen me play. :club: And to end this discussion, limping on the bubble with big hands is a mistake 99% of the time. The 1% of the time i would give it clearance would be if you had a very good player in teh blinds and you were in late position. If they are short, and aware of stacks/blind sizes/M, it wouldn't be terrible to let them think you are a limp donk and let them push in their small to medium stack in an attempt to steal blinds. Overall, definitely a donk play.And to answer your question, I almost never see it, ever

shiiiit, i've been seeing this on WPEX 2/4 limit. donk limps in the HIJACK, i raise the button with AQ and he reraises, and then i have no ****ing clue what to do. The first couple times it happened i called down and it was AA or AK. The last time i only peeled the flop and folded the turn :club:.The play was made by either very passive players or just donks.

Vick-I'm still fairly laggy, and on the bubble I never limp big hands obv. It was more a thing I do sometimes in late position when I know I wont be playing huge multiway. It's something I do to mix it up vs. weak players and to see if I can't stack them on a top pair for them/overpair for me board.I have no problem playing aces up to a 3 way pot. don't get me wrong i'm certainly no limp call donk. But occasionally early, I don't mind limiping big hands in middle/late position
I can see what you are saying about mixing it up, but with a reputation that even resembles LAG, you miss too much value by limping. If you were really tag then maybe I see it, but even then I'd raise and annouce I have a hand. Especially online...by the 50/100 level of most tourneys, even just stealing blinds makes rasing them worth it.Agree to disagree I guess.Just saw above post...agree MJ, just asking questions not really judging play...you know me better than that.
lolololololol, i guess you haven't ever seen me play. :club:
i haven't.
And to end this discussion, limping on the bubble with big hands is a mistake 99% of the time. The 1% of the time i would give it clearance would be if you had a very good player in teh blinds and you were in late position. If they are short, and aware of stacks/blind sizes/M, it wouldn't be terrible to let them think you are a limp donk and let them push in their small to medium stack in an attempt to steal blinds. Overall, definitely a donk play.
for the record, that i pretty much agree with. i really wasn't trying to start a debate.

This happend to me tonight, only sombody limped with Kings which is even worse. I don't think it's a "move"...they're just idiots. I had a big stack and he took half of it then, and then a little later I had AK and the same guy called my 3.5xBB raise with A9. Of course the flop was A9x, two spades. I had him on a flush draw or an ace with a lower kicker and he almost finished me off.

I can see what you are saying about mixing it up, but with a reputation that even resembles LAG, you miss too much value by limping. If you were really tag then maybe I see it, but even then I'd raise and annouce I have a hand. Especially online...by the 50/100 level of most tourneys, even just stealing blinds makes rasing them worth it.Agree to disagree I guess.Just saw above post...agree MJ, just asking questions not really judging play...you know me better than that.
I know you are not questioning, but you do seem to think I do it a lot I guess. I raise like 95% of any hand I play that isn't in the blinds. I never limp early, and only limp late with huge hands or speculative hands. i don't do any one thing every time. If the table is very tight preflop, I will limp late with marginal. Most people in the tourneys I play are retarded, and probably aren't aware of my table image.EDIT: I only limp early with the small blind levels, when the blinds become important, you've seen me play, you know I don't limp.

this play generally works very well late in tournys b/c the blinds are so huge compared to the chip stacks, i like the play people will push late in tournys with very marginal hands and it is a great way to trap