if you want to imrpove or just help.

This proposition is for anyone who wants to either improve their game or help people improve their game. I post this in strategy where most of us who care about improving/teaching post because I think you'll take it more seriously. I know we already have the FCP table, but its a joke. Not anything bad, its actually really fun to have mandatory capps w/ krablar and 10 7's but we wont get any better. I propose we have 1 (maybe two) FCP Strategy tables once or twice a week, when people have the time (we can arange the date and time). We can play and show like usual but we can also run our pokertrackers on eachother and find leaks. during the session we can talk about certain hands and those of you who are there to help (because your game is beyond some of ours) can correct the plays and tell us why it was a mistake (hopefully the big fcpers would go). After the session we could start a thread, post some hands and discuss them if people dont agree. Anyway, Ive heard from many respectable players that one of the best ways to improve your game is by playing better players, and by talking about strategy and poker in general with friends, I dont know about you guys but my friends suck, so I think this would be very helpful. Anyway Im just throwing the idea out there for you all to decide. Tell me what you think, and if you are down for playing..maybe we can get something started.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in playing, as long as it's lower stakes. I don't want to be playing a full table ring against Absolute, Wrto, Smash, and so on for high stakes. For me that's just plain stupid when I can find a soft game to beat.

Haven't made up my mind about this yet.I deleted the hands from last night's FCP session from my PT database, though. I don't think they represent anything like normal playing conditions.And after that I played some crazy 2-7 triple draw with cddc and Absolute. Maybe that should be the game for strategy hour :club:

I'd be interested in playing, as long as it's lower stakes. I don't want to be playing a full table ring against Absolute, Wrto, Smash, and so on for high stakes. For me that's just plain stupid when I can find a soft game to beat.
yea of course, i forgot to mention it. It would be .50/1 or sumthing, what counts is the play not the stakes (unless of course the 5/10 10/20 players stop taking it seriously..but since they'll probably be the ones helping I dont think that would happen.)
Haven't made up my mind about this yet.I deleted the hands from last night's FCP session from my PT database, though.  I don't think they represent anything like normal playing conditions.
exactly why we'd have to take it seriously and not let people who cap w/ 7-2 play (like yesterday)...I mean Ill still play the friday night beer in the hand maniac sessions cuz theyre fun, but I want something to improve.

this sounds like a great idea. i'd be glad to offer my overflowing wisdom :club: .for those with pokertracker, though, i'd recommend starting a separate database for these sessions. i'd imagine that these games would be tougher than most, even at 10/20 and higher, and the play would be much, much less straightforward.were you suggesting things like showing hands (afterwards) and explaining strategy as we go? that would probably be the most helpful for those wanting to learn things.also, i would very much enjoy sitting down with the studs of the site. sounds fun for all involved...

this sounds like a great idea. i'd be glad to offer my overflowing wisdom :club: .for those with pokertracker, though, i'd recommend starting a separate database for these sessions. i'd imagine that these games would be tougher than most, even at 10/20 and higher, and the play would be much, much less straightforward.were you suggesting things like showing hands (afterwards) and explaining strategy as we go? that would probably be the most helpful for those wanting to learn things.also, i would very much enjoy sitting down with the studs of the site. sounds fun for all involved...
yea, I think it would be better to show hands and all that stuff. The change in style will only make us tougher and more prepared when we move up limit, yet at the same time a lot of postflop theory applies to the low stakes games as well. I think this will make us all around better players, plus if we get a bunch of vet. posters there we will probably have some pretty good discussions on the hard hands.[edit] we have 3 in and one maybe? any one else? how bout those big names smash, wrto, kdawg, absolute etc.. ?
Im not a big name, but I would be game...I would need to know ahead of time b/c I only have money on stars right now.
I guess thats another thing we'd have to settle, I think most people play on party, but Im ok with playing anywhere. Id just have to deposit. Another thing would be the time and date, If you are interested start posting the time you guys would preffer to play at and all that.personally I think mondays or tuesdays, Im living in Texas for the summer so at 8 or 9 here seems like a reasonable hr because in the pacific its like 6 or 7 (we'd have to arange it when every1 is free, and since Im free all day and I sleep at 8am so i dont care.)

great idea.a few things...50c/$1 is too high. i would recommend either 2c/4c, 5c/10c or 10c/20c at the highest.variance will be a bitch in a tight/aggressive and tricky game against people who know what they're doing, and a -100 BB downswing at 50c/$1 is still meaningful to a $2/4 or $3/6 bankroll. the losers in the game (at least at first) should also expect to lose a good amount of money, so keep the stakes micro.however, there are two problems:1. party's lowest stakes are 50c/$1.2. although poker stars has stakes down to 2c/4c, they don't have support for private cash tables.there are then three options, none of which sound too appetizing:1. play 50c/$1 on party and have some kind of official record keeper who keeps track of the winners and losers. he then notifies the winner at the end of the session to transfer back however much money they need to back to the losers. so, everyone has to agree to return their profits. since it's not a zero-sum game (rake), the losers will pay for the rake.(example: first session is players A, B and C. player A wins $12, player B loses $5 and player C loses $10. total loss is $15, so $3 went to rake. player C lost 2/3 of the money, so he gets back 2/3 of $12, which is $8 (in effect paying 2/3 of the rake, or $2), and player B lost 1/3 of the money, so he gets back 1/3 of $12, which is $4 (in effect paying 1/3 of the rake, or $1). obviously, there has to be an official record keeper for this, because the math is a little detailed.)2. play the low stakes or play money tables on stars and just deal with the fact that fish will enter the game. this might not be a bad thing, as we will also learn how to play against those types of weak players. besides, it's not like we're colluding or softplaying each other. if we didn't have fish in our game, a lot of the things we would be learning would be irrelevant and inapplicable to the games most of us play.3. play on another site that has both micro stakes AND private cash table support. i know poker room has these options. how about full tilt or ultimate bet? i'm not sure. poker room is a definite option, though.all in all, it's a good idea.having a chat room up during each session would also be smart, either through AIM or the FCP forum chat room. discussing hands when they're fresh from memory is the best way to do it.let's work this out.aseem

3. play on another site that has both micro stakes AND private cash table support. i know poker room has these options. how about full tilt or ultimate bet? i'm not sure. poker room is a definite option, though.
poker room would be good because you dont have to download it. I'd be interested even though im just a forum newb.

I don't think money should be transfered back to anyone to be honest. for those of us who play at least 2/4, .5/1 is nothing so I don't see how it would be too high. btw, I'm down for doing this. I'm just gonna have to remember that we are playing serious and that I probably shouldn't LRR w/53o :club:

I am just starting to play more online (too much travel to AC every week) so I would definitley be interested. I just qualified with the Instant Bankroll thing to test out how I like it and I am also just beginning SSHE.But again LOW LOW LOW stakes. I want to be improving without being killed by all you online vets :club: I think we could have two different options...A) .50/1.00 for the "Higher limit players"B) Lower limit for the othersSounds like a lot of interest so two + tables will probably be neededAnd we can always cross analyze or whatever...Because honestly I need to plug a lot of leaks and I want to start from the ground up with my new poker bankroll.

i know most people hate the software but all the prima skins allow private cash tables at whatever stakes.
definitely, i forgot about that.but offset brings up a good point... no download required for pokerroom (and mac users can play on it). pokerroom is also VERY clean with cashouts and deposits and supports instacash, unlike prima skins.*shrug*aseem
I don't think money should be transfered back to anyone to be honest. for those of us who play at least 2/4, .5/1 is nothing so I don't see how it would be too high. btw, I'm down for doing this. I'm just gonna have to remember that we are playing serious and that I probably shouldn't LRR w/53o :club:
i agree wholeheartedly, that's why i would much prefer playing lower stakes. just threw out the transferring money idea in case people really wanted to play on party.i was at 50c/$1 a couple of months ago and i know i would turn down this TAG FCP game in a heartbeat if it was at the same stakes as my current play. think of the lower man. :D aseem
i agree wholeheartedly, that's why i would much prefer playing lower stakes. just threw out the transferring money idea in case people really wanted to play on party.i was at 50c/$1 a couple of months ago and i know i would turn down this TAG FCP game in a heartbeat if it was at the same stakes as my current play. think of the lower man. :D aseem
I think enough of us here play at stakes to where .5/1 is nothing. I use IGM-Pay and don't want to set up a neteller account until I join another site, so pretty much, I'm only playing on party

I dont think playing .50 /1 would be that tragic..like always you will have good days and bad days, I play 2/4 (like a lot of us here) so I dont mind the possible break even or -1 bb/100 that I might be suffering playing against better players. I think this would be good for most of us, and to be honest .02/.04 will get pretty popular pretty fast, and I dont want BeansNIcewater at this table :lol:I dont mean to exclude people, but I think .5/1 should be fine, after all we allways fill that up and play like donks on friday nights. Plus, I think that is a cheap price if we are actually going to learn. Like I said I dont really care where its at (or what stakes), Pokerroom isnt a bad option and a lot of people now have Powerplayer (skin) cuz of those 25 free bux. If kdawg doesnt want to get neteller Ill just transfer over 25 or sumthin (or he can just get that free chip they give). Anyway, I think this could be a good turn out (I didnt know if anyone would go for the idea), and I hope that we can get the really good players along w/ the really devoted ones in there. Hopefully we can start this by next week if we get things worked out by then.

I dont mean to exclude people, but I think .5/1 should be fine,
I would defintely be game for doing this. However, I'm just moving up to .50/1.00 (and over to party). So until I do so, I would be voting for the "play smaller stakes" ticket. Roark

Ok, so it seems there's enough people for a .50/1 game at party.I'm down for that game. I wont be able to play until after next week, going to New York and Atlantic City :-) , but I'll be looking forward to it when I get back.