100-20'000 Challenge Within 2 Months

My goal is by the end of the summer to have turned 100 dollars into 20'000 dollars. I am starting on saturday. Would anyone like to race with me?My goal is to start out playing 5.50 9 handed sngs until i can reach 600 dollars and with every 4 first place finishes im going to take 1 of them and spend it however i like, cash game, big field tourney, higher sng. to help me stay focused and not go off trackonce i do that i will repeat and after every time i hit a mark i will move up to the next level.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My goal is by the end of the summer to have turned 100 dollars into 20'000 dollars. I am starting on saturday. Would anyone like to race with me?
You're 18? And plan on turning $100 into $20k in two months? You're destined to fail if you go for the big win right away.

playing all 5 dollar 9 handed sngs to start.....until i can build up to 600 then moving up to 10 dollars to 1200 but in between when i earn a certain ammount im gonna buy into a big feild toruney or a cash game to keep me from getting bored but i figure if i consistently win and play my best and not get ahead of my self limit wise this could have a very good turnout

What's first in a $5? $20? Hardly worth playing a cash game for that amount, I'd suggest pooling your fourth win cash until you can take a shot at a cash game, play a decent MTT ($20 would be fine too) or play a bunch of sats and sell the T$/playgl!

Your highly unlikely to reach your target on sngs. If you can get some $$$ together and score a couple of tourneys wins you many have a chance but you need to be lucky buddy.GL

ty ty, its possible though with proper money managment i think if i just move up in the levels slowly but surely, i figure once i have around 1200 thats when things will really start to take off because at that point i would be able to enter alot more of the bigger field tourneys and play the low limit cash games

If you start to run out of time remember to stick all your winnings so far on red for double-upaments.

My goal is by the end of the summer to have turned 100 dollars into 20'000 dollars. I am starting on saturday. Would anyone like to race with me?My goal is to start out playing 5.50 9 handed sngs until i can reach 600 dollars and with every 4 first place finishes im going to take 1 of them and spend it however i like, cash game, big field tourney, higher sng. to help me stay focused and not go off trackonce i do that i will repeat and after every time i hit a mark i will move up to the next level.
I don't think this is possible. Not without taking down some large field tournament (getting very lucky in the next two months). Some very good players can easily go two months without a significant tournament cash.If your goal was turning $100 into $1,000 in two months that would be a much more realistic goal. I feel by setting yourself up to likely fail, it is going to wreck havoc on your game. Good luck anyway.

i definitley think 2 months is gonna be impossible to reach 20K especially playing low buyin sngs. maybe a year but not 2 months. gl with it anyway

I don't think this is possible. Not without taking down some large field tournament (getting very lucky in the next two months). Some very good players can easily go two months without a significant tournament cash.If your goal was turning $100 into $1,000 in two months that would be a much more realistic goal. I feel by setting yourself up to likely fail, which is going to wreck havoc on your game. Good luck anyway.
+1As a guy that has grinded sngs I can say with resonable certainty that running $100 into $10,000 in 2 months the way you have outlined, barring a couple real big mtt cashes is impossible. To run $100 into $600 in 2 months playing $5 sngs would be much more realistic however still fairly unlikely. What kind of volume are u planning on playing?
ty ty, its possible though with proper money managment i think if i just move up in the levels slowly but surely, i figure once i have around 1200 thats when things will really start to take off because at that point i would be able to enter alot more of the bigger field tourneys and play the low limit cash games
Good luck, but it's quite obvious that you haven't put much time into thinking this out.Variance will be a bitch.

my goal this summer is 9k. Right now I'm at the 11 dollar sng's with a 500 dollar bank roll. I think I can do this.

let's see. Running 100 to 600 in $5 SNGs at 40% ROI is $2 per game on average, or 250 games. Earning another 600 (to hit 1200) on $10 SNGs at 25% ROI will take 240 games, so that's about 500 games to hit 1200. Now you still have to double your bankroll 3 times to close it out. Let's see. Playing with 50 buyin bankroll, doubling up is winning 50 buyins. at 10% ROI, it's one buyin per 10 games, or 500 games per doubling of your roll (assuming you double stakes when you double your roll. So that's another 1500 games. All together, a minimum of 2000 games over 60 days, or 33 per day each and every day wihtout exception. At 1 hour per STT, that's 4-tabling 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. That's also assuming you can maintian $10 ROI at $20, $40, and $80 dollar STT levels (which would be VERY impressive).So, if you are a VERY impressive STT player, and if you plan on working 56 hours a week, you MIGHT be able to pull it off. Playing a little shorter would speed things a bit (you dont need 600 to play $10 sngs), but I think it is a HUGE stretch to get to 10k in 2 months.I can only assume you intend to move to MTTs and get lucky.[edit] Crap...my numers are to 10k. Double one more time is 500 more games at 10%, so 43 games per day , or 10+ hours per day 7 days a week.[/edit]

let's see. Running 100 to 600 in $5 SNGs at 40% ROI is $2 per game on average, or 250 games. Earning another 600 (to hit 1200) on $10 SNGs at 25% ROI will take 240 games, so that's about 500 games to hit 1200. Now you still have to double your bankroll 3 times to close it out. Let's see. Playing with 50 buyin bankroll, doubling up is winning 50 buyins. at 10% ROI, it's one buyin per 10 games, or 500 games per doubling of your roll (assuming you double stakes when you double your roll. So that's another 1500 games. All together, a minimum of 2000 games over 60 days, or 33 per day each and every day wihtout exception. At 1 hour per STT, that's 4-tabling 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. That's also assuming you can maintian $10 ROI at $20, $40, and $80 dollar STT levels (which would be VERY impressive).So, if you are a VERY impressive STT player, and if you plan on working 56 hours a week, you MIGHT be able to pull it off. Playing a little shorter would speed things a bit (you dont need 600 to play $10 sngs), but I think it is a HUGE stretch to get to 10k in 2 months.I can only assume you intend to move to MTTs and get lucky.[edit] Crap...my numers are to 10k. Double one more time is 500 more games at 10%, so 43 games per day , or 10+ hours per day 7 days a week.[/edit]
This is the best answer to this topic. Good job doing the math.

I agree that the outcome seems improbable, but I would still be interested to see your progress along the way. As far as hitting that goal goes, if you really don't care about the money involved and you simply want to either hit the 20k mark or go bust, cash games are a much better way to go. While there is a ton more variance or luck involved, it is more reasonable considering the time frame. You would have to play an insane amount of volume to get there playing SNGs. And if you are relying on winning a MTT, then you are relying on luck all the same. My two cents for anyone that wants to simply "race" to 20k from 100, is to put it all on the line til you hit around 1k, then start being smart.

My two cents for anyone that wants to simply "race" to 20k from 100, is to put it all on the line til you hit around 1k, then start being smart.
Without an unbelievable heater from 100-1k, you'll never make it to 1k playing like that. He's better off sticking with his original plan.

As a follow-on, my recommendation to OP is that you race to 2k first with no time-line and then re-evaluate a second stage race. Also, learn to play the 45 man SNGs. If you play well, you can maintain a ridiculous ROI in these things up to the $5 level.I'm in a 50-1k race using a version of Jesus Ferguson's BR management principles as a guideline. I'm around 500 after almost 2 months. That said, poker is about my 4th priority after family, career and sports, so I don't think I'm playing much more than 10 hours per week. I started off playing 45 man $1 turbos on Stars, moved on to the $3 45 man turbos, and now play the $4 180 man and $5 45 man SNGs. All these games are beatable for large ROI by a good player. Much larger than any level of STT.

Loose donkey cash games are the way to go.Play safe and leave when you're up for your 1st week, until u are comfortable, then start to buy in with the max and play a bit longer looking for more profit.eventually, if your BR grows, you should be able to play a more solid comfortable game, which (if you are a fundamentally strong player) will result in higer winnings.P.S> YOU will NEVER make 20k in 9weeks.try 5k. trust me.cheers

Thanks for all the advice, Im going re think it all over but also another thing i think was misunderstood is that im not gonna play low limits forever to 20k my plan is to get to a good ammount from sngs big field tourney and the occasional cash game, but each time i hit a certain goal im gonna double the limit until i can eventully get to a certain limit but either way on saturday im going to start posting progress. The reason i think i could do it though is because 2 seperate times ive turned 1 dollar into 200 dollars taking absolutely no risk and taking first in multiple 9 handed sngs in a row and that was accomplished with in a 8 hour time span and wouldnt have been possible without a little luck