Quiz Question #12

All-in or Call?  

233 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Call
    • Go All-in

You are playing a heads up NL sit n' go and have 1700 to your opponents 1300 with blinds at 15-30. You are dealt Q :icon_suit_club: 7 :icon_suit_club: and raise to 80. The big blind calls. The flop comes 10 :icon_suit_club: 7 :icon_suit_spade: 4 :icon_suit_club:. Your opponent checks, and you bet 100- he calls. The turn is J :icon_suit_heart:. Your opponent checks, and you decide to bet again, and bet 150- he calls. The river is the A :icon_suit_club: and now your opponent bets 700 leaving him with only 270 left. You aren't going to fold, but is it a better play to just call, or should you put him all in?

You will have a dominating chip lead if you call and are right, so it's essentially the same as going all in. He will have 9 bbs left so you can lose three all ins and still win the tournament.If he has the king flush, you will be left with 670 chips, or 21 xBB, enough to make a comback.So a call is the right answerIf this is a $5 sitNgo my answer changes because I am only playing to kill time between a better game and I am already bored and it's only hand 4.

Move in. It's heads up, 10 people didn't see the flop. The likelihood of him making that river flush is low, the likelihood he's got the nuts to your second nuts is even lower. Without a really awesome read on the guy, I'm moving in every time - why let the guy hold on to just enough chips to play all in poker until you decide to get it in with who knows how good of odds. Ending a heads up match is the hardest part - here's your chance...I'm not passing it up. And having 400 vs. 670 in chips if you lose - that's result based thinking = a great way to lose.

I voted for the all-in.If I just call and win, then I have a 10-1 edge in chips but give him life (chip and a chair). Now if he has the K of clubs, it's a difference of having 400 or 670 chips. Basically, I need an extra double-up to get back to par. I'd rather put him away now especially since there's only card in the deck that I'm behind.

I voted go all in.4 possible outcomes:1. Call and win. Commanding chip lead of 10:1, but he is still left with 270 chips.2. Call and lose. Opponent has chip lead of approx 4:1, I still have 670 chips3. Raise all in and win. Yippee....game over :club: 4. Raise all in and lose. Opponent has a chip lead of approx 6.5:1, I still have 400 chips.His calling on the flop and turn lead me to believe he is on a draw or is maybe slowplaying trips. I am not sure I like my bet of $150 on the turn, but I gain a lot info with his call. The thing that is puzzling is his $700 bet on the river into a pot of $660. Why not go all in?...saving some chips because of a bluff?In any case, I have 2nd nuts and have to push. Worst case scenario is I am down 6.5:1 in chips, but the blinds are still small enough that I can play some hands. If the blinds were 50-100, I am looking at all ins with a br of $400 and don't want to risk "having" to go all in with any 2 random cards.I have to put the guy all in because the implied odds tell me I can win it right there, with him only beating me with one hand Kc, Xc. I don't want to leave him with any chips, because the deck could turn cold and/or he could get hit by the deck and next thing I know, I am out. BTW...Q7 is even money or better to win against a random hand...right? Therefore, it is the "lowest" possible hand I raise with in the small blind?DN...thanks for the heads up quizz. I am playing more and more heads up these days, so bring on some more. The way I look at it...if you ever are going to win any tournament, you need to have a top notch heads up play to be a WINNER.

2nd nuts HU.He is going to make that bet with a wide range of holdings as he has no reason to put you on the flush. Weaker players are even making that river bet with top pair hereSeems like you will be ahead way too often to do anything besides going all-in

This has to be one of the clearest, easiest answers to any quiz yet. All-In.

Wow, it amazes me that anyone would even get this wrong. Second nut two-card flush in a HU SnG; we have to think we're ahead here. If you don't raise here, you're playing incredibly weak-tight.BTW, thanks a lot Daniel for getting the quizzes going again. They were and are a really neat feature of the forum.

4 possible outcomes1. Call and win. Commanding chip lead of 10:1, but he is still left with 270 chips.2. Call and lose. Opponent has chip lead of approx 4:1, I still have 670 chips3. Raise all in and win. Yippee....game over 4. Raise all in and lose. Opponent has a chip lead of approx 6.5:1, I still have 400 chips.with this info, i say call heres whyIf you move allin, you either gonna win, or be down 6.5-1 in chips with only 400 in chips, which isnt a lot to deal with with 15/30 blindsIf you call, youre either gonna to have a 14-1 chip lead, unless you get really unlucky or play really bad, you should win at that point. If you go call and lose youre only down 4-1 in chips, with 670. Which is enough to give you time to wait for a decent handCall.

The way this hand played out it doesnt seem he has the flush here. It looks more like he has A10 or A7 maybe even j10. if it were live and you had a good read on the person and thought there might be a chance he had the flush then calling would be good but since its online and you dont have that much of a read you might as well knock him out now if you are right and not give him a chance to come back.

Yay! A new question!My spidey-senses are tingling. That river bet is so weird...it almost seems that villain wants hero to put him all-in. But Hero has the second nuts; how can he refuse? Villain could easily make this play with a lower flush if he wants hero to push him all in with a strong hand like 2-pair. There's no reason for villain to think that a smaller flush would lose, the way the hand played out (if that's what he has). Even if he does have the nuts, hero isn't completely toast. I gotta go with all-in here. But my spidey-senses are still tingling. Why wouldn't villain just go all-in, or bet half the pot, with a strong non-nut hand?

Assuming tournament equity is proportional to stack size...If you win the hand, your equity is either 90%, or 100% if you call or push respectively. If you lose, your equity is either 30% or 13%. By weighted average, push and fold have the same equity if you'r hand is best here something like 65% of the time. This is an approximation. So, pushing is best if you think your hand is best here about 2/3rd of the time or more. Is your second nut flush best 2/3rd of the time here? I would say probably.That said, the up-side of pushing vs calling is no more than 10% equity no matter how often your hand is best here. The down-side of pushing is as high as 17%. I think the 270 chips means more to you when you lose than when you win. I'd just call here.

I chose All In ... Here is my thinking. This person could be pushing with a lot of hands 2 pair, a set, a smaller flush maybe even A 10. I would not think he would be putting me on a flush remeber I have been leading out the whole way. With second nuts I am pushing All In and ending it now.Just my .02 probably all it is worth :club:

I'd say go allin. We have now made our hand on the river(2nd nut flush). Re-raise opponent all-in definitely. If the opponent has 2 pair/a set/or a smaller flush/or the nuts...he will call. If he is on a total bluff, he will probably fold. I read the question the first time thinking could this be a trick question, but the move here has to be allin every time. How many chances are there going to be where we hold the 2nd nuts and have the opportunity to eliminate our opponent w/ no cards to come...all-in

i'd say go all in. I look at this from a strategic perspective. When you think about it, there's not that much difference between having 670 chips than having 400 with the blinds coming to you. You are pretty much in push-or-fold mode. And, if you go all in and win, you'll be in a great position, and one more player will be out of the tournament.that's how i'd reason it.

Haven't read answer yet.With blinds at 15/30, if you raise, and lose, you're looking at the difference between 13xbb and 22xbb.That's actually pretty significant.The bet looks very suspicious.Meaning, there is no value in raising.The million dollar question is, does this guy call his remaining chips with Broadway?Does he call his remaining chips with a J high or 9 high flush?I'm not so sure.I think that 9 times out of 10, this guy only calls off the rest of his chips with the K high flush.I think he bets 700 to not risk all his chips...meaning he's prepared to fold to a raise.OR, he's value betting 700 to induce a raise because he has the nuts, fearing an all-in would cause a fold.It's not weak to call here, I just think there's just very little value in it....there's no fold equity to a raise, and an overwhelming majority of the time you are getting called only by the hand that wins.Yes, calling leaves him with 9BB...I think most times, if he is behind, raising leaves him with 9 BB too, because he folds.EDIT: I could be wrong, but for some reason I think it's reasonable for villain to put you on a flush here.

:club: Hes pot commited with any hand other than a complete bluff. Having no knowledge of how he plays I would raise him all in. Only one flush beats yours and I wouldn't think he would bet so much with the nuts. I would bet 1/2 the pot to gain value on my hand and maybe give my opponent a chance to come over the top. Also if he is drawing at the 2nd nuts wouldn't he be more aggressive with that powerful of a draw on the flop and turn? My poker has been crap lately so I dont know if my advice is that great. I cant make reads on poker players online because I spend half my time keeping myself occupied watching TV. I should be watching the players on my table. To bad Im addicted to this game.. :D
:club: Hes pot commited with any hand other than a complete bluff. Having no knowledge of how he plays I would raise him all in. Only one flush beats yours and I wouldn't think he would bet so much with the nuts. I would bet 1/2 the pot to gain value on my hand and maybe give my opponent a chance to come over the top. Also if he is drawing at the 2nd nuts wouldn't he be more aggressive with that powerful of a draw on the flop and turn? My poker has been crap lately so I dont know if my advice is that great. I cant make reads on poker players online because I spend half my time keeping myself occupied watching TV. I should be watching the players on my table. To bad Im addicted to this game.. :D
A couple days ago I entered a $160 Double Shootout to the WSOP on PokerStars. Got to heads up, won a race, and crippled my opponent, giving me a 12,620 to 880 chip lead. Four all-ins later (J4s vs Q9, TT vs JJ, QJ vs AK, and JT vs AJ), I'm gone. So this is obviously an all-in hand. Because if I call and win, I have about a 30% chance of losing the SNG.

In a quiz, I can find ways to justify calling. At the table, I can't imagine not putting him all in. Heads up, there's simply no way I'm not taking a shot to win with the second best flush just so I can have 270 more chips if I happen to lose.

In analyzing the hand soley on betting... I put you on top or middle pair after the flop and your opponent the BB on a draw. After the turn you increase your bet and he calls confirming that he is on a draw perhaps a straight and/or low flush draw. No way he has an overpair. Pure draw here...but taking into account his stack, he has a lot of outs to continue calling. He didn't come over the top on 4th street so 8-9 is not a possibility. After 4th street he is still on a draw and has committed 24% of his stack and is not pot committed. The $700 bet on the river is another 67% of his stack and probably not a representation, the Ac has helped his hand and made a draw. What does he have...let eliminate some hands. He does not have AA as he would have raised much earlier. He doesn't have 8-9 we already eliminated that hand. He does not have Kc Jc as he would have raised on 4th street with top pair and a nut flush draw. I would probably put him on Q-K no club draw or at best the Kc and a 8c or 9c giving him the nut flush draw and a gutshot straight draw. I put him all in as I would be certain that he would have gone all in if he had the nuts...seeing as there is not a full house draw on the board...he has draw a hand but not the nuts....calling all-in is the way to go. You have the best hand !!

You are playing a heads up NL sit n' go and have 1700 to your opponents 1300 with blinds at 15-30. You are dealt Q :icon_suit_club: 7 :icon_suit_club: and raise to 80. The big blind calls. The flop comes 10 :icon_suit_club: 7 :icon_suit_spade: 4 :icon_suit_club:. Your opponent checks, and you bet 100- he calls. The turn is J :icon_suit_heart:. Your opponent checks, and you decide to bet again, and bet 150- he calls. The river is the A :icon_suit_club: and now your opponent bets 700 leaving him with only 270 left. You aren't going to fold, but is it a better play to just call, or should you put him all in?