Mathematics Of Poker

Ok well this book has started to come out..Has anybody gotten a copy yet? there is a long link on 2+2 on it: http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=books&Number=7890505&page=0&fpart=allHere is an overview as given from one of the authors: The book is divided into 5 parts:I) BasicsCovers basic probability and statistical concepts, as well as Bayes' theorem, inference from observed data.II) Exploitive playCovers odds, reading hands, reading strategies, a little bit about data mining, playing accurately in cards exposed situations, hand vs distribution situations, and distribution vs distribution situations.III) Optimal playIntroduces game theory, concept of the nemesis, and then solves many different poker-like toy games. Concepts touched on by these toy games are:--Jam-or-fold (contains solution to HU JoF NL holdem)--betting and bluffing ratios--card removal (AKQ game)--NL bet sizing--all manner of [0,1] games--multi-street games without draws - bet sizing across multiple streets--multi-street games with open and closed draws - also exposed hand vs known distribution play on turn and river.IV) RiskCovers risk of ruin calculations, also risk of ruin based on a sample (includes the uncertainty of the win rate). Covers Kelly utility, game selection (CE choice of limits), portfolio theory, and backing agreements.V) Other TopicsCovers tournaments, both necessary adjustments (based on the theory of doubling up) and also statistical inference based on tournament payout structures and results.Covers multiplayer games, collusive alliances, and so on.should be a revolutionary read

Just got mine in the mail but I haven't started reading it yet Chen won two WSOP bracelets this year so his timing for publishing a book was excellent
i believe him and the co author had around 7 cashes total

I just got mine in the mail and flipped through it. Just flipping through it was enough to boggle my mind. I'll sit down and start reading it eventually, but it looks more complicated than any other book I've ever read.

I just got mine in the mail and flipped through it. Just flipping through it was enough to boggle my mind. I'll sit down and start reading it eventually, but it looks more complicated than any other book I've ever read.
haha got mine today and i concur...I find lots of pages with formulas and statistics on them...i am quite excited to read it though...I see myself takin extensive notes on this book

Ok this is my review post that I will edit and add to as I read more of the book. Im hopin to read a chapter a day and will edit this to give a review of the chapter. Chapter 1: This is primarily about reviewing stat 101...if you did good in that class this you could probably ignore this section though its a good refresher. This read like a textbook in that it gives formulas and examples and is overall good...I can see where he is goin with emphasize on learning to think in terms of statistics.Chapter 2: Again another chapter that is reviewing stat. This chapter is focused on variance and Z tables to show random distributions along a normal distribution. Chapter 3: Focus of this chapter is Bayes theorum. This is the first theory that you probably wouldnt have learned in a stat class and is the first steps into Game theory which will be the focus of the book.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I've heard the book isn't that good. Too much math and not a whole lot of poker information.
odd that a book with the word mathematics in the title would contain a good deal of math.i'm about half way through and i think it's excellent so far, probably the best poker book i've read.buyers be warned though, not light reading. it makes theory of poker look like a children's book. they are much better writers - in terms of clarity and style - than sklansky and malmuth though.
  • 2 weeks later...
buyers be warned though, not light reading. it makes theory of poker look like a children's book. they are much better writers - in terms of clarity and style - than sklansky and malmuth though.
and i thought sklansky was a dry writer !!!this book is taking things way to far ~one could say they are jumping the poker book shark !!!
  • 1 month later...