On Line Poker And Mac's

OK, some may know my system completely crashed at home early this week. I am scrounging computer time when ever/where ever I can right now (friends houses, vulnerable work stations at work, the Library, etc)I am considering just buying a new laptop and kind of like the Macs.I'm wondering if anyone uses a Mac, and might there be specific reason why they either ARE or ARE NOT good for online poker.Thanks! :club:

OK, some may know my system completely crashed at home early this week. I am scrounging computer time when ever/where ever I can right now (friends houses, vulnerable work stations at work, the Library, etc)I am considering just buying a new laptop and kind of like the Macs.I'm wondering if anyone uses a Mac, and might there be specific reason why they either ARE or ARE NOT good for online poker.Thanks! :club:
Macs are broccoliYou can use the usual skins like poker room and fcp but you can't use almost any other site. I think fulltilt has a beta running for a mac design.
I've written a ton of posts about Macs. I'm a big Mac person - my last 3 computers have all been Macs, and I'll probably continue down that path. It's much easier now to find sites to play on w/ a Mac, but there are still plenty of sites where you can't play. You can't use Poker Tracker, but they do have a program called Mac Poker Pro (that's basically Poker Tracker for Macs). there's no specific reasons TO use a Mac for online poker, but the reasons NOT TO use one are getting less and less.

I have 3 Macs at home. My only complaint is that I can't play on PP or PS at home due to lack of Mac clients. Other than that I am fine. I mostly only play at PR/FCP and Full Tilt so my Macs are fine. But with PR/FCP you have to use the java client since they never came out with the dl client for Mac users. All run fine and PR/FCP is starting to get some of the dl client features on their java client so all is good. The FT client is no different whether I am playing at work on my PC or at home on my Mac.

macs suck dont get one
Well as per my contract with Apple :club: I have to disagree and disagree hard! :PI have an original iMac, a 3 yr old iBook, and a new eMac. In that time my wife had two PC's. Guess which computers are still functional? Yeah, the 3 Macs. My 3 yr old iBook has not once ever crashed and I believe I have had it completely turned off maybe a total of 15 days since the day i received it and it has yet to ever crash. I can still run all programs on it even though it is 3 years old (unlike PC's which either become completely obsolete within a year or every 6months to a year you need to do upgrade it to use any new programs). I can run all Windows based programs on any of my Macs with Virual PC. Each day more and more programs are now Mac and PC compatible. I was a die hard PC guy years ago and I will NEVER go back. Same reason why I no longer buy American cars, every domestic car I owned died or was in the shop and unable to be fixed but my Japanese and german cars ran until I decided I wanted a new ride. Just my opinion. No need to get ugly about it. :D

Macs are awesome for everything. If you NEED to play on PS or PP, the new Macs (with Intel) can run a Windows platform and all software. If you have an older Mac, you can use Virtual PC and play every online site.Maybe I'm just slightly biased because I finally broke through and won my first tourney last night at Full Tilt on a Mac :club:

macs suck dont get one

I have an intel imac and I play at FCP and Full Tilt. Both work flawless with the mac. Also I just downloaded a program called Parallels Desktop for Mac, it lets you open windows xp on your mac. I only use this to play poker on sites like Poker Stars and Party. It runs slightly slower than Mac OSx but it defnitely works for playing on these sites and it's only $50.

I use an ibook for online play at fcp.com. I 've never had a problem with it.I do feel if you want to take your online game to the next level by tracking hand histories and using pokertracker you will unable to do that with the mac unless you buy virtual pc which is an emulator. I'm at the point where I 'm going to buy a pc just for online gaming and my mac for everything else.FCP.com runs fine on mac using the java version! no delays with a high speed connection!Mac's are the best especially since it's dual and intel chip based.

You really are best off getting a mac. The new macs run Windows NATIVELY (i.e. NOT needing an emulator). Also the best part about using a mac for internet purposes is that you don't have to worry about viruses.

The new macs run Windows NATIVELY (i.e. NOT needing an emulator).
Explain this more... I just got a new Mac Mini a few weeks ago. Will this be able to run .exe programs (like downloadable poker sites)???Thnx,Ben

Depends on which generation Mac Mini you got. If it's the most recent release, with Intel, you can run Windows natively but, like someone said above, you simply need a cheap (~$50) software package to start it. I think there is one called Rosetta.

Explain this more... I just got a new Mac Mini a few weeks ago. Will this be able to run .exe programs (like downloadable poker sites)???Thnx,Ben
Depends on which generation Mac Mini you got. If it's the most recent release, with Intel, you can run Windows natively but, like someone said above, you simply need a cheap (~$50) software package to start it. I think there is one called Rosetta.
Cool. yeah, it's the new one w/ the Intel chip. I'll have to look into it.

Ben,You have two choices:1)Parallels Desktop for MacCopy of WindowsRuns in a window on the Mac OS2) Boot Camp (free from Apple)Copy of Windowsallows you to dual boot Windows and OS XIf your going to be gaming like Halo or Doom.xxxmen,Why buy a PC, run Parallels or dual boot a new mac.

If you got one with the intel chip, yes you can.I love Macs, I am working on a G3 & G4 as we speak. The G3 is old but is still going and rarely crashes. Macs are stable and virus free.

Ive always liked macs when Ive had them in the past but if you mainly use your computer for online gaming/browsing why waste the cash for a pretty box? Id bet you pay 800-1000 more just for the brand name w/ lesser specs overall. Basically I find it to be a real rip off since apple refuses to be competitive in the marketplace price wise.

yeah, go mac for sure. as others have said, the new intel ones can run windows natively (and alongside the mac os through third party software--parallels, i think it's called--but the apple software makes you restart to windows). there's really no reason not to go mac now that the new intel-based machines can run windows faster than most pc boxes.just be sure to either get an imac or a macbook PRO, as the macbook and mac mini don't have video cards and share video ram, and that can really bog you down depending on which site you play.if you want help choosing a machine, shoot me a pm. i've been using macs since the days of the mac plus in the 80s/90s and i'd be glad to offer whatever advice i can.