What Should I Have Done Here? $5 Nl, 2c/5c, Fulltilt

So I have been playing poker for a number of years, but lately, I am trying to work on improving my game more. It's tricky situations like this where I am uncertain about what I should have done, if I played it correctly, etc. What should I have done differently here, if anything?Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comCO ($2.06)Button ($3.81)SB ($3.12)BB ($6.54)UTG ($1.20)MP1 ($2)Hero (MP2) ($4.95)Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8diamond.gif, 9diamond.gifUTG calls $0.05, MP1 checks, Hero calls $0.05, 2 folds, SB calls $0.03, BB checksFlop: ($0.25) 8heart.gif, Jdiamond.gif, 8club.gif(5 players)SB checks, BB bets $0.10, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, SB calls $0.10Turn: ($0.65) 5club.gif(4 players)SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.35, SB calls $0.35, 2 foldsRiver: ($1.35) 6heart.gif(2 players)SB bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45Total pot: $2.25 | Rake: $0.15

SB had A 8 suited.

So I have been playing poker for a number of years, but lately, I am trying to work on improving my game more. It's tricky situations like this where I am uncertain about what I should have done, if I played it correctly, etc. What should I have done differently here, if anything?Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.05 BB (7 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comCO ($2.06)Button ($3.81)SB ($3.12)BB ($6.54)UTG ($1.20)MP1 ($2)Hero (MP2) ($4.95)Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8diamond.gif, 9diamond.gifUTG calls $0.05, MP1 checks, Hero calls $0.05, 2 folds, SB calls $0.03, BB checksFlop: ($0.25) 8heart.gif, Jdiamond.gif, 8club.gif(5 players)SB checks, BB bets $0.10, 1 fold, MP1 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, SB calls $0.10Turn: ($0.65) 5club.gif(4 players)SB checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $0.35, SB calls $0.35, 2 foldsRiver: ($1.35) 6heart.gif(2 players)SB bets $0.45, Hero calls $0.45Total pot: $2.25 | Rake: $0.15

SB had A 8 suited.

Don't open limp. Raise or fold pre.Raise the flopDon't be results oriented, get value

My thoughts were that I should keep the pot small with suited connectors and hopefully get more limpers, so if I needed to draw out, I would be able to get better implied odds for doing so.Is my thinking wrong in this respect?

My thoughts were that I should keep the pot small with suited connectors and hopefully get more limpers, so if I needed to draw out, I would be able to get better implied odds for doing so.Is my thinking wrong in this respect?
Yes. If you had been in late position with 3 or 4 callers your reasoning would make sense, but getting hands heads up should be your ultimate goal against weaker players whose post flop mistakes you can exploit. It doesnt always work that way, but you should be trying to get the UTG player heads up and look to take advantage of him on later streets.
Why do you think this?
OOP, crap hand, can get squeezed from the button (thou in 5nl i doubt that happens too much) and suited connectors mostly hit weak pairs, and weak pairs suck multiwaywould rather have 22 here then this handbut it is mostly the sh*tty hand and OOP that i dislike a lot.
OOP, crap hand, can get squeezed from the button (thou in 5nl i doubt that happens too much) and suited connectors mostly hit weak pairs, and weak pairs suck multiwaywould rather have 22 here then this handbut it is mostly the sh*tty hand and OOP that i dislike a lot.
We're only oop to two other players? I'm not saying I agree with the limp, but it's not as if we're limping utg here.

I never fold there. And i'm a massive nit apparantely. Raise the flop.

Yes. If you had been in late position with 3 or 4 callers your reasoning would make sense, but getting hands heads up should be your ultimate goal against weaker players whose post flop mistakes you can exploit. It doesnt always work that way, but you should be trying to get the UTG player heads up and look to take advantage of him on later streets.
As much as it's definitely an advantage to get it heads-up against a weaker player, i can hardly say it's a bad logic to induce lots of limps in that spot. Playing a hand against a player is cool, but playing against a bunch of them should be better with a hand that either hits the nuts or miss.
We're only oop to two other players? I'm not saying I agree with the limp, but it's not as if we're limping utg here.
I can't imagine folding preflop
I never fold there. And i'm a massive nit apparantely. Raise the flop.As much as it's definitely an advantage to get it heads-up against a weaker player, i can hardly say it's a bad logic to induce lots of limps in that spot. Playing a hand against a player is cool, but playing against a bunch of them should be better with a hand that either hits the nuts or miss.
you know maybe it is because i havent played cash in ages but what is with all the love for a hand preflop that mostly flops middling kinda hands that suck to play OOP? i just dont get why people love low and mid suited connectors in this spot. i would much rather have 22 because it would be far easier to play postflop and have much less reverse implied odds.
you know maybe it is because i havent played cash in ages but what is with all the love for a hand preflop that mostly flops middling kinda hands that suck to play OOP? i just dont get why people love low and mid suited connectors in this spot. i would much rather have 22 because it would be far easier to play postflop and have much less reverse implied odds.
I would rather AA, I still play all 3 though because folding is boring.
I would rather AA, I still play all 3 though because folding is boring.
omg of course i would prefer AA in almost all positions. lol :club: lameo!!!!!i guess i shouldnt say AINEC to the fold, but it is just something i really see no need to do. would that be more correct?
omg of course i would prefer AA in almost all positions. lol :club: lameo!!!!!i guess i shouldnt say AINEC to the fold, but it is just something i really see no need to do. would that be more correct?
The ROI of 98s (the best hand to crack aces statistically) is much lower than the ROI of KJ or KT. If you're gonna play 22 because it's "easy to play" then play your 98s the same way post that you play the 2's i.e. giving up retardedly often when you have a pair and nothing else. It's still certainly profitable... and if you're playing aggressively anything that makes a strong showdown hand a good portion of the time is usually profitable.Now 23,34, and 45, on the other hand... suck donkey dong unless you have the anomoly opponent who doesn't fold a wheel draw with an ace ever.
rrumsey it's not as if we're guaranteed to be OOP either; only the CO and BTN have position on us. We know that we'll have position against two fish no matter what...
yah but we arent doing anything to keep those people out. and from my play at this level, one limper creates many a limper.if utg and mp where deeper this would be a fine spot to raise pre. but seeing how short they are they just arent giving me much unless i stack both of them. i just dont think the reward is there.