skill to props?

Ok besides being able to watch when you hit your props and not "sleep" them is there any skill to it? It just seems like all luck to me. Am I missing something.If this is the case it seems like a total waste of time. There is no way it helps your poker game...I don't care what anyone says. And to me it seem the players not playing props have an edge on those that are playing props because they are not 100% focused on the poker game at hand.It just seems like a sick way to gamble tons of money. Hell why not just flip coins?If I'm off, I'd love for someone (DN) to educate me on this.

I was thinking the same thing. It seems like a sick way to lose A LOT of $$$. Only skill involved is keeping track of it all (which I could not do, BTW) but not really a card game type of skill. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun to me, but if it gets DN off, more power to him. Just imagine how much he might be taking away from these games right now if he wasn't playing props though.BTW- I do not understand the whole, "It makes me focus on the game more" comment. Betting that kind of $$$ and not being able to focus is just kind of SICK!!! LOL Wish I had that kind of money to not focus on. :club:

I think its a way to help pass the time while at the table. Cause sometimes just sitting around a watching everyone else playing i find my self playing some bad hands once in awhile. But given that i would like to learn more about them if anyone knows or has a copy of how all of it works i would like to get hold of it. I've read DN and i just cant get a good grasp of the triples and doubles and such. So if anyone can help i would appreciate it.

I would think you'd still have to have your cards in your hand to get your "props" but I've never played props.. Good question, DN?? DN - Is this just something that you've been playing for fun? or do you think it really helps you keep more focus on the actions of your oppenents? It seems like it would help a good player remain focused at all times while in the game, because there is so much to keep track of. Do you find that while playing you are completely zoned in on what you are doing? because that would be the only benifit that I could find, besides wagering SICK amounts of cash.

Well it seems no one really knows yet...but I don't see any skill to it. Like I said why not just flip coins. Hell I'd rather bet on who could fly a paper airplane the fatherest, or other prop bets, etc.

Prop bets are for people that need constant gambling, like addicts.It is not poker because there is no decision making. It is just a bunch of compulsive addicts with a lot of money tha have nothing better to do than to bet on the outcome of random cards. But wait, isn't that what poker is? Nope, in poker you must decide something.You have made a bad decision to get involved with these props. I think you should focus more on how to become a world champ again.

Playing props adds even more emotional stress to the equation. If you aren't man enough to handle the swings and play well while losing in props, it will hurt your poker game. That's why props is played- to get others "steaming" or off their game. Also, some of the players DO sleep their props which gives you +EV. Others go on tilt in the poker game when they get stuck in the props. Imagine playing props with a guy like Hellmuth? Yum yum, if he got stuck playing props he'd start playing worse in the cash games than he already does. There are certain players that play props and can't handle it. If they sleep a prop, and then you tell them about it, they never let it go. It drives them crazy. Basically props is only played by the top end players. It is an EXTRA challenge that competitive people yearn.

So you are saying some of the other players are not man enough to handle the swings with props and this gives you an advantage in poker. And some people sometimes sleep their props. And it just gives you something else to do. That's pretty much it right?I can understand this, however, the tilt factor of people getting stuck on props and being pissed because they slept some would still be there whether you actually were involved in playing props or not. This give the poker only players a possible edge for free. Am I wrong?

You are right Marcstar. That's why the other players don't mind that it slows down the game sometimes. I used to just sit there and focus on the poker without playing the props, but someone in the game that I trust advised me that I HAVE to get in on the props because when certain players get tired there is a big edge in playing. I won't mention the names of the "Sleepy" players, but he was right. I've slept a couple props before but nothing major. I've had other people sleep doubles against me rather often. That turns out to be a lot of money because not only do they screw themselves out of getting paid double, they'd know only be on for doubles rather than triples. In order to collect on your doubles you have to say,"I see my Ace, I see your stiff Jack, and I'm on for doubles." If you don't say you are on for doubles, you only get paid for singles.

Its obvious only the really focused and mentally fit players have the advantage in the props game. After playing for 8 hrs I can see how other players can get side tracked and forget there props. Daniel will make more in props in the long run because he is obviuosly one of the elite poker players when it comes to focusing. I can see Hellmuth or Matusow tilting from the suck out on the previous hand and forgetting to call out there props! Daniel defenitely has the advantage in the long haul barring the cold cards everyone gets occasionally.

Props sound fun and seems like a rush to me. Probably cause I like to gamble and play other -ev games like blackjack, bacarrat, craps and sportsbetting.The older guys must stay sharp and pay attention. Doyle, who's been gambling for ages has to be drained after one session.Oh btw, what happens when you go to the bathroom and miss a flop or hand? Nothing I guess?

Hey, sports betting is not -EV if you know what you're doing. I'm up $2000 over the last month, because I've gone 32-14 betting college football. I do think that it would be extremely difficult to make money betting pro sports, but college football and college basketball will consistently have lines off by 5-10 points if you know what to look for.With that said, I do play online blackjack sometimes which has to be -EV. Of course, I'm up about $2000 on that overall too so I can't complain.

:shock: Props reminds me of the home game--no peekee--No talent involved all luck.To do props at high stakes is saying I have money to piss away and so what. This playing props will wipe out many of those who play well but have bad luck at props.Some bankrolls will be wiped out as poker is gambling and some of course have an edge but props can nullify that.I would guess none of top women play props.--but I guess its no different then Phil Ivey and others playing big money at golf and can't play golf.--Prop on!! Lucky

Playing props adds even more emotional stress to the equation.  If you aren't man enough to handle the swings and play well while losing in props, it will hurt your poker game.  That's why props is played- to get others "steaming" or off their game.  Also, some of the players DO sleep their props which gives you +EV.  Others go on tilt in the poker game when they get stuck in the props.  Imagine playing props with a guy like Hellmuth?  Yum yum, if he got stuck playing props he'd start playing worse in the cash games than he already does.  There are certain players that play props and can't handle it.   If they sleep a prop, and then you tell them about it, they never let it go.  It drives them crazy.  Basically props is only played by the top end players.  It is an EXTRA challenge that competitive people yearn.
:club: Why so much hatred for Hellmuth.He is the best no limit hold-em tourny player in the world.Is that not enough?Iv'e heard about his poor cash game play,but man do you like to bash the guy.I havent heard him rip into you about your WSOP performance.I dont know if it's personal or something that happened behind closed doors,but man do you seem to hate him.Post countwhale_hunter-3Kdawg-8,589
Hey, sports betting is not -EV if you know what you're doing. I'm up $2000 over the last month, because I've gone 32-14 betting college football. I do think that it would be extremely difficult to make money betting pro sports, but college football and college basketball will consistently have lines off by 5-10 points if you know what to look for.With that said, I do play online blackjack sometimes which has to be -EV. Of course, I'm up about $2000 on that overall too so I can't complain.
Impressive Iggy!How about NFL? Your picks for this week?

Nah, I suck at the NFL. It just seems too random for me. And actually, I went 6-8 on Rivalry Week last Saturday, so that did knock me down a little bit. Still though, when I get my picks for next weekend's college games, I'll go ahead and post them. I definitely win more often than not.

Here we go, as promised, my NCAA picks for this weekend:Nebraska at Colorado -13.5 Maryland at NC State under 44Mississippi -3 at Mississippi StateIowa State -3 at KansasCincinnatti +14 at RutgersFlorida State +4.5 at FloridaSyracuse at Louisville -35.5South Florida -8.5 at ConnecticutNotre Dame -18 at StanfordFresno State -16 at NevadaLouisiana Lafayette at Louisiana Monroe -3Oklahoma State +19.5 at Oklahoma

:club: Why so much hatred for Hellmuth.He is the best no limit hold-em tourny player in the world.Is that not enough?Iv'e heard about his poor cash game play,but man do you like to bash the guy.I havent heard him rip into you about your WSOP performance.I dont know if it's personal or something that happened behind closed doors,but man do you seem to hate him.
i don't think DN was being too unfair w/ hellmuthfor me it's a love/hate... i love hellmuth for his play and i hate him for his mouth. his lay down in the main event this year was sweet, when he folded his two pair or w/e. but then he stood up, looked at his wife and said "i can dodge bullets baby!... which ruined the experiance.
his lay down in the main event this year was sweet, when he folded his two pair or w/e. but then he stood up, looked at his wife and said "i can dodge bullets baby!... which ruined the experiance.
I thought it was so corny that it was funny. I think Hellmuth even knew that saying that was corny as hell but just wanted to ham it up for the cameras. Sure Hellmuth is a great NL tourney player when he's on but I like watching him blow up...it so funny watching him take a run of the mill beat and cry for hours. I love the guy, lol.I've got to say his feature episode on the WSOP main event coverage was the most entertaining. ESPN's actaully poker coverage is pretty terrible...it's like a big summary of what happened...so I just look at it as pure entertainment.The TOC with he and Mike the Mouth is going to be awesome to watch. Say what you want about Hellmuth not earning his way in...I could care less because it's going to make for awesome TV. I don't think anyone could argue with that.

OK, so I was wrong about Colorado.However, I guarantee that Iowa State will cover on Saturday. Honestly, they should win by at least 3 TDs, and they're only favored by three and a half points.If you bet on Iowa State on Saturday, it's like going all-in with pocket aces against A-Ko, where in this case the Q-J-10 is Stevie Hicks getting injured. If that doesn't happen, it's free money.