so 1-2NL a couple hours in and i am sitting with 570 (up 370). new guy sits down at the table in the big blind. this games a little crazy and its really easy to pick people off. guy puts a strattel on for 4, i am in middle position with 2-2. one caller to me , i call, button calls, sb calls, bb calls, strattel checks. (how do you spell strattel??? holy macoral how do you spell macoral???). ok flop comes 2-5-Q rainbow. checks to the strattel who bets 8. now he is really dumb and bad but i want the pot to be bigger for when i raise him, because i want him to think that theres too much money in the pot. and hell just be more confuzed. anyways big blind who just sat down calls. turn is a 4 so A-3 is a straight and 3-6 is a straight. bb checks strattel bets 8 i raise to 30, bb raises 70 more. what do you do here??? he had 95 left. no read on this one. if you call and the river comes a K what then???

so 1-2NL a couple hours in and i am sitting with 570 (up 370). new guy sits down at the table in the big blind. this games a little crazy and its really easy to pick people off. guy puts a strattel on for 4, i am in middle position with 2-2. one caller to me , i call, button calls, sb calls, bb calls, strattel checks. (how do you spell strattel??? holy macoral how do you spell macoral???). ok flop comes 2-5-Q rainbow. checks to the strattel who bets 8. now he is really dumb and bad but i want the pot to be bigger for when i raise him, because i want him to think that theres too much money in the pot. and hell just be more confuzed. anyways big blind who just sat down calls. turn is a 4 so A-3 is a straight and 3-6 is a straight. bb checks strattel bets 8 i raise to 30, bb raises 70 more. what do you do here??? he had 95 left. no read on this one. if you call and the river comes a K what then???
StraddleMackerelRaise PreflopRaise the FlopPush the Turn.
Straddle
Good
Mackerel
Good
Raise Preflop
I wouldn't usually raise this, especially since he doesn't know what the straddler will do.
Raise the Flop
Everytime
Push the Turn.
Everytime
I would probably raise the flop because you have 6 people in the hand. Someone is likely to have something that they want to see the turn with, especially at the 1/2 level. If they don't have something you weren't likely to get paid big anyways. My thinking when I flop a set isn't "how can I get an extra bet or two out of a weak hand", but "how can I can all of someone's money who has a second best hand". If no one wants to play with me, oh well, move on to the next hand. On the turn I would push. If he stuck around with a-3 or 6-3 you still have 10 outs to improve. Even if you don't improve, you have a guy who made a bad call on the flop and just got rewarded for it, and he just sat down. So there will likely be more opportunities to bust him later. If you just call the turn and a king comes it depends on what he does but you're likely getting the money in here.

Raise the flop all the time. If he is stupid, he surely will call there too. Build the pot for value and charge draws.Allin on the turn everytime. If he has the gutshot...cooler. No gettting away vs. this type of player with so little behind.K on the river wouldn't change a thing, we still go allin. We have a set! :club:

Raise Preflop
this is the only part I'm not so crazy about since with 22 we have a hard time winning unimproved and if we miss and have to fold we're not losing much. I like limping and giving someone a chance to hit TP and overplay it.
this is the only part I'm not so crazy about since with 22 we have a hard time winning unimproved and if we miss and have to fold we're not losing much. I like limping and giving someone a chance to hit TP and overplay it.
Raising small pairs is more about creating a pot in which we can stack someone I think, plus it adds deception. We don't really have to pick up the pot on the flop everytime.I wouldn't raise here though since the straddle makes it a raised pot already.
I can live with that, I just don't like seeing a Flop with 5 other players.
I can live with that, I just don't like seeing a Flop with 5 other players.
I actually like seeing big multiway flops with small pairs, it's much more likely that we'll get a customer if we flop big. You will probably have more variance since you'll have to fade draws more often, but I think you'll get action more often also.
BB could have anything, and a lot of times, it's just some weird two pair with bad players. He could have like Q4, 54, 25.. some weird combination for two pair. Of course, he could have you beat with A3, 36, 55, 44 (sick), QQ (unlikely since he didn't repop the preflop action). You said this game is kind of crazy, hopefully you've noticed what kind of hands BB raised with in the 2 hours you've sat down. I think you're ahead most of the time here and agree with everyone here, push the turn. Even if he has a straight, you pray to pair the board. If he has 44 or 55, you can say "wtf cooler mang!"Also, raise the flop everytime here! "I want the pot bigger for when I raise him" is what you said, but what better way to make the pot bigger than to raise? You could have a lot more information on the turn after you've shown strength and there are callers.

yea i agree. that was the guys first hand, so i had no info. and yea i probably should have raised the flop. i was in a tourny state of mind and the board looked so innocent and i was thinking only about the straddle. anyways, good advice all around. anyways, i just called the turn, check called the offsuit K on the river and he had 3-6o. should have raised the flop!