Where Would You Go?

Let's suppose you had about $10,000 at your disposal, and weren't tied down by any responsibilities or obligations, and you wanted to see the world a little bit. Where would you travel, and what would you do? What would you pack, and what would you do about living arrangements? Keep in mind that this trip is completely open ended as far as time is concerned, and you want to make it last as long as possible. Any schemes for scaring up extra money while you're there or anything should be included in the answer. Go in to detail if you want too. I'm curious, and bored.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go to Canada, buy a socialized medical card on the black market, and get diagnosed with depression and ADD (it's really easy, I now diagnosed with both in the US, and have neither). Then, after stockpiling the pills, I'd head to New England and sell them for an average $7-10 a piece. I figure a couple months of smoking killer weed, I'll make $1-2,000 or so, after expenses.

I'd pull an office space and do nothing. 400-500 us a month can get you a 3 or 4 bedroom house with a maid and driver. I have a friend who lives there like a king and manages a 5 star resort. I'd just chill at the resort and explore the countryside.

Not really much of a travel guy, so its pretty well guaranteed that I'd take that $10k to Vegas and try to make a run at building up a nice roll and a living.Although I would like to see Paris and Venice, but $10k isn't going to last very long there. I hear you can buy a hotel in Eastern Europe for a nickel though. Gotta love that exchange rate.

I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend who works in securitiesthen use that money to take a real bad ass trip with 10k I'd probably just go visit friends around the country. Alaska, NYC, Carolina (blah).If I had more than 10k I might go visit family around the world too. UK, Italy.

I'd go to Canada, buy a socialized medical card on the black market, and get diagnosed with depression and ADD (it's really easy, I now diagnosed with both in the US, and have neither). Then, after stockpiling the pills, I'd head to New England and sell them for an average $7-10 a piece. I figure a couple months of smoking killer weed, I'll make $1-2,000 or so, after expenses.
Or I could stay home, collect my unemployment checks, and make more money without ever having to go to Canada or New England. Give me a good answer.
I'd pull an office space and do nothing. 400-500 us a month can get you a 3 or 4 bedroom house with a maid and driver. I have a friend who lives there like a king and manages a 5 star resort. I'd just chill at the resort and explore the countryside.
Awesome. How much would a plane ticket be?
Not really much of a travel guy, so its pretty well guaranteed that I'd take that $10k to Vegas and try to make a run at building up a nice roll and a living.Although I would like to see Paris and Venice, but $10k isn't going to last very long there. I hear you can buy a hotel in Eastern Europe for a nickel though. Gotta love that exchange rate.
Lame on all counts. You have to do better than that. You'd be broke and cracked out three months in Vegas, Paris and Venice are crowded tourist traps, and who the **** would ever want to go to Eastern Europe where you can get a hotel for a nickel?
Or I could stay home, collect my unemployment checks, and make more money without ever having to go to Canada or New England. Give me a good answer.
You wanted to travel. Seems like now you don't? Okay, keeping with this theme, don't get a job or travel. What do you think? It's not sexy, but you don't have to go to Canada or New England.

can't believe nobody's mentioned vietnamese child prostitutes yet. guess it was just too obvious.

You wanted to travel. Seems like now you don't? Okay, keeping with this theme, don't get a job or travel. What do you think? It's not sexy, but you don't have to go to Canada or New England.
I want to travel somewhere cool. I'm not concerned as much with making money as doing something fun.
I want to travel somewhere cool. I'm not concerned as much with making money as doing something fun.
I don't know, I think NE is really cool. If you're into american history, anyway. A lot of weird, cool libraries, too. But I guess I don't like to travel, so I'll be no help, as is often the case.
Lame on all counts. You have to do better than that. You'd be broke and cracked out three months in Vegas, Paris and Venice are crowded tourist traps, and who the **** would ever want to go to Eastern Europe where you can get a hotel for a nickel?
You didn't ask me to amuse or inspire you, you asked what I'd do with $10k and the opportunity for an open-ended vacation. I'd love to tell you I'd go on some Alaskan cruise with a Finnish girl named Smika or shuffle down to South Beach, rent a Ferrari and party like I'm Ron Mexico, but the truth is that I'd just go play poker because I'm as boring as they come.
I don't know, I think NE is really cool. If you're into american history, anyway. A lot of weird, cool libraries, too. But I guess I don't like to travel, so I'll be no help, as is often the case.
Yeah, that's true. I'd like to go to the Museum of Natural History, and MOMA, and libraries like you said. And go to Yankee Stadium, and Fenway Park. That's true.
You didn't ask me to amuse or inspire you, you asked what I'd do with $10k and the opportunity for an open-ended vacation. I'd love to tell you I'd go on some Alaskan cruise with a Finnish girl named Smika or shuffle down to South Beach, rent a Ferrari and party like I'm Ron Mexico, but the truth is that I'd just go play poker because I'm as boring as they come.
Oh sorry. Well amuse and inspire me now please.
Oh sorry. Well amuse and inspire me now please.
One thing I've always wanted to do is go to Scotland for the Ba' Game at Kirkwall. Basically the entire populus of Kirkwall turns up in the middle of town one morning (in two teams, the Uppies vs the Doonies), a rugby ball is deposited in the middle of them all, there's a 400-600 person scrum for it, and whomever possesses the ball when it reaches the top of a designated hill (which takes hours to accomplish) is declared the winner and gets to keep it. Then everyone punishes their respective liver for the rest of the day (to be fair, most are still drunk from the night before when the match starts). http://www.bagame.com/main.htmlYeah, I'd do that. I've always wanted to spend some time in Scotland, ever since I found out that I'm actually Scottish, not Irish. Goes without saying that at least half of the $10k would be spent on single-malts.*Edit* I misrepresented the means of winning the game, I guess you don't have to get it to the top of a hill, each team has it's own goal. The Uppies must touch the Ba (ball) against a wall in the South End of the Town whereas the Doonies must get the Ba into the water of the Harbour at the North.
can't believe nobody's mentioned vietnamese child prostitutes yet. guess it was just too obvious.
I was getting there.Also, no hookers and blow? Somebody is slipping.Oooh oohhh.. I'd buy a new Glock because it's cool looking?
i guess i could pass for a child prostitute, however, i dont look vietnamesei suppose i could get naked and burn myself though (lord, i apoligize for that one...and be with the starving pygmies down in new guinea)

I'd love to fly to Australia, rent or buy a van, and be a bum for as long as possible.Or maybe I'd just fly (or drive) to different areas of the US to crash with friends. That would definitely stretch the budget pretty far.Living like a king in Bali or another country like it for a year or so is also a great option.

I was getting there.Also, no hookers and blow? Somebody is slipping.Oooh oohhh.. I'd buy a new Glock because it's cool looking?
Yes!How about traveling to as many stadiums as you can during whichever sports season is your favorite.I am a diehard Redskins fan and would love to travel to all their away games for a season.Or I'd travel during the summer to see baseball games at stadiums I want to visit. Went to Fenway last year. Want to go to Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, SF, Dodger Stadium, etc.
finish my goal of going to every MLB ballpark.
Sorry, replied before scrolling all the way down.

Easy, I would take my wife and I on this trip which runs about $10K and all food and lodging is included. On the Queen Elizabeth 2.September 2007 4 Tue New York, New York 5 Wed Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 6 Thu Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 7 Fri Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 8 Sat Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 9 Sun Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 10 Mon Southampton, England 11 Tue Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 12 Wed Vigo (for Santiago de Compostela), Spain 13 Thu Cruising the Mediterranean Sea 14 Fri Barcelona, Spain 15 Sat Cannes, France 16 Sun Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 17 Mon Alghero, Sardinia, Italy 18 Tue Cruising the Mediterranean Sea 19 Wed Gibraltar 20 Thu Lisbon, Portugal 21 Fri Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 22 Sat Southampton, England 23 Sun Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 24 Mon Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 25 Tue Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 26 Wed Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 27 Thu Cruising the Atlantic Ocean 28 Fri New York, New York Disembark

I you want to mix bang for your buck with realitive safty, then I'd shoot for eastern Europe, like Czech rep or slovenia or hungry... perhaps poland or Latvia.. your money will go further in a 3rd world country, but your trade off for that is safety.. in eastern europe, it is very cheap, and they tolerate americans decently.. and you might be able to get murdered in a hostel. If you're thinking 3rd world, I'd go with Thailand. it's beautiful, exotic, tourist friendly, and has 10 year old whores.. what more could you want?

If you're thinking 3rd world, I'd go with Thailand. it's beautiful, exotic, tourist friendly, and has 10 year old whores.. what more could you want?
I dunno.... maybe get murdered in a hostel?