Follow above advice then last 3 days set up computer and tv in your bathroom and take a bunch of laxitives(sp).
You can do the above in about six hours, not three days. Go to Walgreen's and get the over the counter powder that people take the day before a colonoscopy. It's 255 grams of tasteless powder that you drink with 64 oz. of water or gatorade, and it FLUSHES YOUR SYSTEM OUT. Docs want your system clean when they snake that camera up your yahoo. It's a really miserable six hours, but it will be exactly what you need right at the end of the bet.
You can do the above in about six hours, not three days. Go to Walgreen's and get the over the counter powder that people take the day before a colonoscopy. It's 255 grams of tasteless powder that you drink with 64 oz. of water or gatorade, and it FLUSHES YOUR SYSTEM OUT. Docs want your system clean when they snake that camera up your yahoo. It's a really miserable six hours, but it will be exactly what you need right at the end of the bet.
If you're going to go all-out to win, do what boxers/wrestlers/MMA guys do and sweat off as much water weight as possible that day. Don't necessarily go to the extremes they do, but going on the treadmill a couple hours before and sweating off a couple pounds would help.
If anyone has any tips to win, I'll take those as well. If you say eat less and exercise, don't worry, those are obviously the first two on the list. I'm a weekend warrior as far as the yay goes, so please keep that obvious suggestion to yourself. No one is getting their stomach stapled either.
If you think you need a little 'edge', a few hours before the weigh-in put on every single pair of sweatpants and tops in your wardrobe on and go for a run/cycle or sit in a sauna, you'll lose a few extra pounds.I don't suppose anyone watches The Ultimate Fighter on Spike? Colonic my friend...
If you think you need a little 'edge', a few hours before the weigh-in put on every single pair of sweatpants and tops in your wardrobe on and go for a run/cycle or sit in a sauna, you'll lose a few extra pounds.I don't suppose anyone watches The Ultimate Fighter on Spike? Colonic my friend...
I for one am shocked that no one has mentioned this up to this point.
Screw the colonic. Gabe was such a pus on that show! U r not gonna lose a lot of weight from a colonic.

My experience with low carb diets is that they work really well short-term but the weight comes back when you put carbs back in your diet. It would do for the bet, but I'm assuming you would like to stay trim for the long term. Oh and if you don't already drink diet soda, get away from sugared pop. If you drink more than one a day, it's a lot of empty calories.

Would be a bad idea to just go straight %age as the really fat guys will obviously pwn, must be a better way of working it out.
Go by percentage of excess weight. Use something like this ideal weight calculator to determine ideal weight. Whoever loses the highest percentage of the difference between current and ideal wins.

Lifting weights is advisable. Most people know that more muscle burns more calories. What a lot don't understand is when u lift weights u damage the muscles, they burn calories for up to 3 days repairing. 3 or 4 days a week, different body parts, lift as heavy as u can for 7 to 8 reps. Keep good form and use a spotter, don't hurt yourself. Flex the muscle u r working when in the contracted position. Feel the burn baby!

PM Hermankahnfollow his advise and you're a lock to win this thing. good luck.I'm down over 20lbs doing the nutrisystems thing like Nikki. It works but it won't give you the short time results like you want.

If you're going to go all-out to win, do what boxers/wrestlers/MMA guys do and sweat off as much water weight as possible that day. Don't necessarily go to the extremes they do, but going on the treadmill a couple hours before and sweating off a couple pounds would help.
If the goal is to win the bet (as opposed to just losing weight), since the bet hasn't started yet, you had better start putting ON the weight NOW.Enjoy lots of ice cream, cookies, heavy meals, lots (and LOTS) of alcohol. Oh yeah, and don't exercise at all - in fact, I recommend MANY hours of poker.This isn't the healthiest plan, but since you decided to put money on it, you might as well try to win. And these few days before the bet starts will be fun.Peace,Opie
PM Hermankahnfollow his advise and you're a lock to win this thing. good luck.I'm down over 20lbs doing the nutrisystems thing like Nikki. It works but it won't give you the short time results like you want.
Good on ya, Gary! That's awesome. You'd better hit Vegas in June so I can see the new slimmed down GlenGary!

What I am doing now is quite simple. Take your weight and multiply it by 10. I am 227, so 2270. That is the max amount of calories I can have in order to not GAIN any weight. If I consume under that amount I am losing weight. But here is the big trick - exercise. Go on the web and look at different exercises and how many calories they burn for a certain time. I know swimming, running, and biking are probably the best. Swimming you can easily burn 800 calories per hour. If you run, you can burn almost 200 calories per mile depending on your weight and how in shape you are. Biking is good if you have bad knees or ankles, but it also yields the lowest calories per hour. Now here is the other trick. If you subtract 500 calories from your diet a day, you will lose a pound a week. Easy right? Take 1000 away, you yield 2 pounds a week. If you want long sustained weightloss I suggest this method. IT requires you to write down in a log book exactly what you have eaten. Even a small snack you must write down. It really awakens you to how much you are consuming. Another thing to think about is fast food. That stuff is the devil. I used to go to McDonald's and get meals that were 1500 calories. That is terrible! Also, start drinking diet soda/pop. It has zero calories!!!! Switching from regular Coke to diet Coke will make a huge difference. I hope this helps some of you. If you have any questions about exercise or diets feel free to shoot me a message. I am a college athlete who knows a lot about exercise and diets. Seeya.

Some good advice there....

Also, start drinking diet soda/pop. It has zero calories!!!! Switching from regular Coke to diet Coke will make a huge difference.
I went to just water - why go to diet soda when it has lots of other crap in it? Cold turkey, man! :club:
Some good advice there....I went to just water - why go to diet soda when it has lots of other crap in it? Cold turkey, man! :club:
Well when you are addicted to caffeine it's hard to quit.
I went from 300 to 240 in just under 2 months...just by changing my eating habits, eating alot less, smoking more cigs and drinking alot.I went from 240 to 210 in 3 months more by starting an exercise program.I went from 210 to 177 in 6 months more by walking/jogging/running 2-3 miles a day, stopping smoking, quit drinking, quit smoking dope, swimming, etc.I can now run a 7:20 mile, bench 200, but i still can't play poker....and we all know that THAT'S what counts..lol bragaments
Awesome.

A lot of great tips here, I just wanted to add one that I didn't see listed. Do you have access to a hot tub or sauna ? Increasing your core temperature increases your metabolism (so you burn more calories while in the hot tub and for an hour or two after also).Good luck !

Now here is the other trick. If you subtract 500 calories from your diet a day, you will lose a pound a week. Easy right? Take 1000 away, you yield 2 pounds a week. If you want long sustained weightloss I suggest this method. IT requires you to write down in a log book exactly what you have eaten. Even a small snack you must write down. It really awakens you to how much you are consuming.
That can be dangerous... without monitoring unless you eat like 3000 plus calories a day right now.This is going to be long but to the OP I think worth it: I am in a bet like this right now...I started at 232 and my Buddy at 320. We are doing a straight percentage of body weight lost, As for the bet amount, it needs to be large enough so it is significant that you do not want to lose, but small enough that it wont kill you financially if you lose. We figured that amount to be around $500. So the loser takes the other on a guided fishing trip in South Lake Tahoe (my buddy has always wanted to do that). So we can celebrate together, more than paying the other one off, remember the goal here is motivation. So we started him at a base line of 300LBs and me at 225, because he had been working out for a while before me and was down to 288 and we wanted him to get partial credit for what he had already lost. A little history on us, we are both 30 and played football together in high school, I was a receiever at about 160lbs when I graduate, he was a center and was about 240 when he graduated, then he went on to play college for a couple years and slowly I gained weight, then my wife had a kid 2 years ago and skyrocketed past the 200 mark to my heaviest ever. He had years of bad habits of eating and drinking and would fluctuate his weight dependent on those things.So we started at the begining of March and it goes to July 1st (halfway between both of our 31st B-days) 4 months, I do not think you can do a fair bet any less than 3 months but four is the min I would consider, 6 wourld be better and more accurate. If you can get everyone to do a water fat % test and combine that and % of body weight loss it would be a more accurate depiction of better health.Progress: I am about 210 right now, he is around 278, we have hit our plateaus and have had times of lapse of eating well. But i have lost 5 inches in my chest, 6 in my belly, 4 in my waist and I am back in some of my bigger 36" waist pants. I am also the strongest I have been in years.How I am doing it: I am loosely follwoing the south beach diet, now before anyone gets in a huff about a fad diet, I bought the recipie book just to get ideas for more healthy meals and started reading about the DR. who created it and is a cardiologist and was tired of watching his patients either doing fad diets or failing with the AMA recomended diets. SO he got with a nutritionist and combined his knowledge and came up with a plan for his patients, it worked so well everyone wanted him to publish it and he is from Miami,so the "Marketing People" came up wiht the fad name. Basically it is 2 weeks of pretty much no sugars and carbs but unlike atkins only healthy low fat meats and chesses, then after 2 weeks you re-introduce furits, legumes, whole weats, etc. and then after 2 more weeks he bascially says you should have the gist of how to eat right...conitnue with that and if you have a bad day (dessert or whatever) don't let it ruin the rest of your week and binge. So Il ossley follow that to the best of my ability.As for working out I have this 4 month circuit training workout I got in a mens health a couple years ago (it drew me to it because I have a bad back and the guy who put it together did to, so there is not much compression on the low back in the workout) and it is great at slowly getting you back into the swing of lifting and cardio, so you do not burn out right away, and you only lift 3 days a week for a max 30 minutes a day, and then as much cardio as you can handle, but a minimum 3 days a week... If you want to know anymore PM me and I can also send you the workout as I have them on word documents.GL - See you back in the under 200LB zone hopefully.
Screw the colonic. Gabe was such a pus on that show! U r not gonna lose a lot of weight from a colonic.
Agreed, the look on his face as he was being sodomized by lubricated plastic tubing was still one of the most memorable moments of the show thus far imo.Attention all fat people, please do not let this happen to you:cake_ruediger.gifGABE-vs-WHALE_CAKE.gif

I'm not sure how many Stern fans are out there, but they recently did a weight loss challenge on the show. The winner (Benji) lost 61 lbs in 8± weeks which was nearly 25% of his body weight. One thing that he did was drink lots of water prior to the weigh in to get his weight as high as he could. I'm not sure what rules you've agreed to, but I'd be looking to start with the highest weight possible.As for a way to compete, I'm not sure that any way other than % of body weight loss would be better.Also, towards the end, you litteraly should fast (as in not eat) for the last few days, to get as low as you can. Benji (from Stern) was a wrestler and had a lot of experience in having to make weight, so maybe try to find someone for advice.This is probably definately not the most healthy way, but you've got money on the line.Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Well, this thing is over tomorrow@noon. I'm fairly sure I've won, even though I didn't do as well as I wanted. We ended up with only four runners. The heaviest guy gained four pounds after a month and gave up. He was having some issues with his feet and such, most likely from the weight. The lightest guy hadn't lost anything(he's really not that bad off, plus had a bachelor party and a wedding thrown into the mix. As of now he's down about 7 or so, but when he weighed in he had heavy jeans on. The guy at 240 lost 12 the first month, and had a decent lead percentage-wise. Talking to him today, it seems he's back to even. I'm still fasting from food and most water(I'll take a swallow every couple hours), just in case he's bluffing. I don't think he's lying, but I would be sick if he was. I was down 7 after the first month, from mostly cutting down on meal sizes and changing the diet. Right now I'm down 22 total, adding in a stationary bike and walking 4-6 times a week. I've slipped on late night eating a few times, but with my late-night schedule I'm not sweating it too hard. Now it's time to finish this off. I haven't eaten since 8pm last night. We're going to weigh in around noon tomorrow. I picked up a few adderall for this 36 hour period. I took one this morning, and the hunger isn't a real issue yet. I'll take another one in a few hours. I won't get finished until 3 this morning. Anyone have any advice on what's better to finish off? There's the cleansing powder which would lay me up for 6 hours, and may be miserable to do after not eating and having to wake up early to do it. Or I could do what I planned originally and layer on the clothes(an ex-wrestler told me to use a plastic suit or even trash bags), and work up a sweat for an hour or so on the bike. He kept stressing to be careful, as he knows the strain I've put on my heart from my indulgences other than food. Thanks for all the tips. Hopefully I'll be motivated to keep going. I definitely feel more energetic, and don't crash as much during the day. It's helped me playing as well. I can go 8 -12 hours now without needing to load up on RedBull or making trips to the bathroom every half hour. I just don't feel sluggish at all for the most part. I've also pretty much stayed off diet soda(I never really drank sugared soda on a regular basis). I drink water, plain iced tea, and once in a while a bottle of green tea. I don't know which is helping my stomach more. The change in diet, or dropping the carbonated beverages. I used to go through a bottle of Tums every 10-14 days, and even that didn't work very well. Without the stomach problems I sleep better, and don't get distracted when I forget the antacids. I know there was a few other people here doing the same sort of thing. Hopefully you won or did well.

good luck with the weigh-in tomorrow. If you dont have anything in your system the cleansing powder will not do much, but it might help. ALso with the excessive excercising, be careful with that since you have nothing in your system. All that is doing is getting your water weight out and if you havent been drinking any water there isnt going to be much to lose.

My friend and I called ours off, because we really just did it for motivation. I am down about 20 give or take the day, and I have another 30+- to lose. It was hard for me to buckle down and go for it because I have had a few weddings, a vegas trip, tahoe trips and back east trip in the middle of all of this, so it was next to impossible to eat correctly enough and exercise long enough for this to be an effective bet. But we are both healthier and happeir and are continuing to change our habits!

I just won a bet like this with my girlfriend. We did a % del, as she weights much less than I do. Obviously I exercised and ate much healthier, but I also started drinking a big glass of water anytime I got hungry. Then the day before the weight in I stopped drinking everything until I got rid of everything. Without busting my arse I lost 15 lbs (197 to start) in 2 1/2 weeks. Not a ton, bu it worked out ok.