• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread really needs to die...
REGRight. That's the motion to get on with it, passed with, uh, one abstention.I now propose that we go without further ado. May I have a seconder for...FRANCISLet's just go.REGYeah, all right.
Let's not have a penis measuring contest.
I think that people insinuating who is and who is not a winning player is kind of ridiculous. Some people who say they are winning players can express such a complete lack of knowledge about poker that it's almost staggering and it just confirms that there is no way that they can ever win in the long run.Posting in these forums doesn't really have anything to do with how well you actually play, it has to do with how well you can conceptually play. What I mean is that some people are awesome at figuring out the situation, putting their opponent on the correct hand, knowing what the right move is, and then doing THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE for reasons that they have trouble explaining. Things like "I put you on AK, but I called anyway" kind of stuff like Jamie Gold says on HSP.It doesn't matter who is a winning player and who isn't. I actually find it retarded when someone tries to justify their logic in the pot by saying "I am a winning player and blah blah blah...." when it has nothing to do with anything. IMO, the players who feel they need to explicitly state that they are winning players are often not. That statement is not aimed at Royal or anyone else who has commented on their long term results, it's just a blanket statement that I feel applies to many people. If you're a good player, you know it and you don't need to point out that you're a winning player (which can't be verified anyway) just so others will see it.

As for a final reply to this thread,I think that the way this hand plays out, you just go broke and move on. Hinting that there are varied lines that you can take to get away from the hand is just playing the results. Yes, when you're raised by a solid player you have to take pause and consider that you might be beaten, but unless you're raised by the super-rock who only plays the nuts, you'll just have to get your chips in here and hope it's one of the times he turns over QQ, or a flush draw or something other than the set.

Just for the record, I'm on the "I think this is a set quite often" side, not the, "none of you are winning players" side. :club:
LOL. I cant even talk a little smack without people getting their panties in a knot.Its practically a given that anyone who spends even a little time in teh strat section is a winning player. U already jump ahead of the competition by just browsing this forum.except Sefaj, you can GFY, seriouslyNicoson, check/raise, fold to push. If we raised more preflop. and we were called. I lead out the flop. If my theory on the player is similar to y situation, i might be able to put him on a set if he comes over the topThis thread is long enough now, i got nothing more to add
Its practically a given that anyone who spends even a little time in teh strat section is a winning player.
LMFAO!!!!Have you seen some of the hands that people post? Seriously! I mean, yeah, they're working to get better, but there are miles between progress and actually being a winning player.
LMFAO!!!!Have you seen some of the hands that people post? Seriously! I mean, yeah, they're working to get better, but there are miles between progress and actually being a winning player.
i know, but over the past month, i've gotta give a lot more credit to anyone that actually studies and attempts to learn the game on different levels, ie: books, chatting, forums, whatever.9 out of the 10 players at my table have no idea about basic NL strat. Many of them thinking its a waste of money to raise preflop with aces because aces get cracked.well i wonder why they get cracked? and so forth.I think anyone who reads this section, on top of other sources and plain old practice, is on their way to being a solid player. Now we all know it takes something special to play cards fulltime, which not everyone has. But if ur trying, then power to you
Do you understand how small the fraction of players that actually win at this game are? The way you talk, I think it's significantly less than you think.
QFT, I thought I knew what I was doing a few months after I started playing cards because I had read some books and browsed some poker forums a bit. How wrong I was. A few years into the game (online NL hold em) and I realize not only how wrong I was but also how far I have to go in a constantly evolving game.
Do you understand how small the fraction of players that actually win at this game are? The way you talk, I think it's significantly less than you think.
its very few.Take into account the very very very small fraction of people who browse strat sections.lets say, 50 million people playing everyday, live and online. thats fair. Maybe not as much now wit hthe whole ban thing.50,000 viewing strat forums regularly. Maybe? 80k members at 2+2. most are doubled from other forums, and obv not all visit strat.now give a % of those 50k to be good players, who are able to take into account what they learn, and are able to become better players.I dont thikn its too far fetched to say that (people who visit this forum everyday to learn, fix leaks, and talk strategy) are a large portion of the winning players out thereso, this is like 0.001% of players.

Man, I've been posting in strat here for like 2 years, like every day, and I question whether I'm actually a winning player every single day.I'd say the percentage of people posting here and 2p2, etc that are winning players isn't as high as some might think. Tough to really put a number on it though.

Nicoson, check/raise, fold to push.
I can't see that in practice, even for minimal values.
Bets	  His stack		 Desc.----	  ----------		 --------350		 900			 preflop200		 700			 He bets200		 700			 Our call200		 700			 Our raise  200		 500			 His call.500		 0			   His push.  -----1650

So at the minimum we're seeing 3.3 : 1 with our overpair.I don't take "solid" to mean that he wouldn't be playing A :club: X :D, J :D T :D, or QQ with this action. After the hero check-raises me, as the villain I would assume that the hero would set me in on the turn. So with any hand that merits a call on the turn, the villain might as well push the flop.

• 3 months later...

Usually when people make raises for like 2/3 of their stack and keep a miniscule amount back in live games, I almost always see them turn over huge hands. But, the way it played out, you were just going broke. Raising more with Kings preflop here is a must. I think I'd even overraise the pot to something like 200 because I just don't want multiway action with Kings OOP, no way, no how.If you made it 200ish, there was no way he was chasing a set in this hand. But as played, it's just a situation where you're going to go broke after the flop.