For those of you who have enjoyed my poker blogs (and even for those of you who didn't), I posted one today about the pussification of America through bumper bowling. I'll get back to the poker blogging after I get back to Vegas on the 28th for the Manadalay WPT, but until then, I hope this one will placate you guys.LaterAlLink is under the sig

nice blog spam sir. :club:
A kid's gotta get trafic to his blog somehow sir...however, if you actually WROTE ONE ONCE IN A WHILE... :lol:GL at the Mirage, I'll be in Hawaii con mi novia

You're absolutely correct in your blog. Bumper-Bowling is great a metaphor for a lot of dynamics of the "kinder, gentler society" we now seem to live in. Matter of fact, I think I'm going to infuse it into my own vocabulary as a synonym for the weak society. Whenever I see standards lowered to accommodate idiots or whenever I see awards being given to losers, I'm just going to call it "bumper bowling". Attention Children: There are winners and there are losers in this life. The ratio is 20-1. It's up to you to decide which one you want to be.You see the little fat kid standing there with that stupid chocolate stained smile receiving his "Valiant Effort" award for finishing second to last place in the spelling bee? He is a ****ing loser. You see that little Asian kid- the one who just spelled every word correct- receiving the "Great Speller" award since we can't call him the "winner" because that might offend the sensibilities of fattie? He is a winner.This is the way of the world.Life begins at 18 whether you're prepared for it or not.Ready, set, go.

nice blog you are a talented writer and your take on bumper bowling was spot on.Odd that you wrote about that, I just went bowling last weekend with a buddy and we talked about the exact same thing...that bumper bowling is the worst thing to ever happen to the 'sport'/game. anyway nice job ...good read

I have to admit that I have used the bumpers, it is fun to whip the ball down the lane, but I also think that kids need to understand the way the world works and if they don't understand the world is an competitive place they will not have any self esteem because they will always come in second place.I was raised in a win or you are out of the family family, that has it's own issues as well...

I'm glad you guys liked it...feel free to subscribe and/or comment whenever!And Scram...me and my friends always refer to anything like this as the "Pussification of America".

nh. great analogy. so f***ing true. i have a little one on the way and some day i will tell him that we are not going bumper bowling because al smooth told me it would make you a p***y.edit: i would subscribe to your blog but i deleted my myspace account because myspace is owned by newscorp, aka the devil.

brought up without the knowledge of what it feels like to fail at anything, and if you don't know what failure is like, how can you truly appreciate success?It's been about 18 years since Bumper bowling was invented. An entire generation has been brought up on it and is now making its way through college and into the working world. Many of them afraid to try anything that they're not instantly an expert at because they think they'll look silly if they try and fail. The next generation of leaders this country will have to suffer through are looking to make their way through life on "easy mode" and I personally fear for what we'll become. It's up to my generation to bear the ever loving **** out of them and try to salvage what we can for the sake of the future of this great country of ours. So please, the next time you take your son, daughter, niece, nephew or cousin to the bowling alley, put down the bumpers and teach them that it's ok to try your best and not be perfect the first time out.
:club::D :D

I actually put a lot of effort into this one...I know it sounds silly and all, but there is some actual truth behind it. It's sad really.-Al (Will work for Kudos)

Loved it. You know, back in my day, we had lawn darts...:club:
I used to love lawn darts!!Nothing like a bunch of eight year olds throwing spears into the air and trying to avoid "another hole in our head" lol

A really well written perspective. Your thought process is one that I've come to realize that, while not the easiest to model or apply, it is the truth. As an 18 yr old graduating high school in a couple of weeks I've only gotten a small taste of freedomand responsibility allotted to me, however, I see so many of my friends making excuses that applied perfectly "my parents did this" "my teacher hates me" and I just want to say "If you don't like how something is happening, change it! Don't just sit back and complain!". I don't have myspace but nevertheless, kudos.Luke

great article Al, liked it alot. I totally aggree with everything you had to say.And believe me, ill be doing my part to make sure the kids in my family aren't "pussified". and btw, when you gonna be in Hawaii and which island you gonna be at? I'm from Oahu and am gonna be back home for my birthday in June. You familiar w/the islands at all or is this your first time?

great article Al, liked it alot. I totally aggree with everything you had to say.And believe me, ill be doing my part to make sure the kids in my family aren't "pussified". and btw, when you gonna be in Hawaii and which island you gonna be at? I'm from Oahu and am gonna be back home for my birthday in June. You familiar w/the islands at all or is this your first time?
First adult trip to Hawaii...going to Maui, staying at the Grand Wailea. It should be a great time.
First adult trip to Hawaii...going to Maui, staying at the Grand Wailea. It should be a great time.
You will not want to stay anywhere else after the Grand Wailea. Don't let the little kids bully you on the slides...
You will not want to stay anywhere else after the Grand Wailea. Don't let the little kids bully you on the slides...
Apparently you haven't read my blog. :club:
Apparently you haven't read my blog. :club:
Now I have, and it was a great read.I coached youth soccer the past year, and the hardest thing I had to deal with was the parents. I made sure the kids learned something about the game, about how to play hard and fair, and not be afraid to fail in order to become better. We didn't win a game, mainly because we didn't have a girl that could dominate the whole game. We had a bunch of first time players who got babied their whole lives, but they busted there *** for me every game and practice, and that is all I asked for...