Obviously I have been around FCP since the beginning. General is where I have spent the majority of time. Lately it seems like things aren't really moving in the right direction. For those who are newer, FCP used to be more of a family unit. Of course it's great when everyone shows support when a member of the community gets deep in a tournament. But really there is more to poker, and this forum for that matter, than just that. I see a lot of people who used to be active in General, have now moved to off topic areas. I encourage everyone to think before you post. Choose your words more carefully. It is far easier to criticize than to show praise. But that doesn't mean it's the right thing to do at all. Regardless of the state of online poker, FCP was and should be a community of people helping each other. It's not one persons job, nor is it the mods job to keep this place positive. FCP thrives on people sharing information, giving support, and providing much needed humor at certain times.I hope that everyone will contribute in some way.Steve

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been discussed ad nauseum. It hasn't been the same since this place became a sign up bonus for the FCP Poker Room. It won't ever be a 'family unit' again.We used to police ourselves--now we get Kumbaya-be-friendly-hold-hands-love-Christ-and-make-a-friend forced on us. *Note: I am not, nor have I ever been, the voice of reason, popularity, wide appeal, majority, or otherwise, on this site. Just my perspective, though, I suspect it's held by others.

Wasn't there a thread the other day saying how positive the General Forum was at the moment. I'm pretty sure even FCP info commentated saying how well it was going. I'll see if I can find a link.

This has been discussed ad nauseum. It hasn't been the same since this place became a sign up bonus for the FCP Poker Room. It won't ever be a 'family unit' again.We used to police ourselves--now we get Kumbaya-be-friendly-hold-hands-love-Christ-and-make-a-friend forced on us. *Note: I am not, nor have I ever been, the voice of reason, popularity, wide appeal, majority, or otherwise, on this site. Just my perspective, though, I suspect it's held by others.
I think the sign up craze is over. I'm not saying that it should be or has to be a family unit. But it certainly can be more of a positive environment. It doesn't make sense to me to hypothetically have 16 year old kids, and people who are playing $1 sng's running General Forum. When there used to be others who contributed frequently, people who had been around poker for awhile, and had something to add. Of course if you are happy with the current state of affairs, there is no need to continue my discussion.
I think the sign up craze is over. I'm not saying that it should be or has to be a family unit. But it certainly can be more of a positive environment. It doesn't make sense to me to hypothetically have 16 year old kids, and people who are playing $1 sng's running General Forum. When there used to be others who contributed frequently, people who had been around poker for awhile, and had something to add. Of course if you are happy with the current state of affairs, there is no need to continue my discussion.
Meh, I agree with you..but, I'm irrelevant, to be quite honest. Many, many suggestions from posters including myself, but not limited to me(and often including those much more respected posters than myself) have fallen on deaf ears for quite some time. Personally, I've grown frustrated with the unwillingness of this site's organizers to make it better and have since stopped posting much at all. Actually, since, say, early 2006, the only attempt at positive interaction I've seen out of this site is making Zach a Strat-Mod. A small, however meaningful step, it's not enough. Like I said though, I'm irrelevant. I once shared your passion, and maybe, since I don't anymore, I should just walk away completely. If nothing else, I'm probably very out of place in this thread and should simply digress.
Meh, I agree with you..but, I'm irrelevant, to be quite honest. Many, many suggestions from posters including myself, but not limited to me(and often including those much more respected posters than myself) have fallen on deaf ears for quite some time. Personally, I've grown frustrated with the unwillingness of this site's organizers to make it better and have since stopped posting much at all. Actually, since, say, early 2006, the only attempt at positive interaction I've seen out of this site is making Zach a Strat-Mod. A small, however meaningful step, it's not enough. Like I said though, I'm irrelevant. I once shared your passion, and maybe, since I don't anymore, I should just walk away completely. If nothing else, I'm probably very out of place in this thread and should simply digress.
That's the thing. I don't have passion for this site anymore. Maybe it's just me. I am super busy these days. But I used to love being a part of FCP. In truth maybe I have just outgrown it to a certain degree, and I am looking for something that will never be again..........
That's the thing. I don't have passion for this site anymore. Maybe it's just me. I am super busy these days. But I used to love being a part of FCP. In truth maybe I have just outgrown it to a certain degree, and I am looking for something that will never be again..........
Ding.Simple fact is that a lot of us just don't have time for it. We maybe made it too large a part of our lives for too long, maybe we just found other avenues, a lot of us who have been playing for some time, feel some sense of contempt and holier-than-thou syndrome..but, it is what it is, and to make it what it once was, is not only improbable, but probably illogical. Either way..I love you, Steve. You've always been one of my favorites, and what I did learn from you, is only a very small part of what I wish I had learned from you. No lie, my friend.Let me know if you ever make it out to see the Militech camp.
Ding.Simple fact is that a lot of us just don't have time for it. We maybe made it too large a part of our lives for too long, maybe we just found other avenues, a lot of us who have been playing for some time, feel some sense of contempt and holier-than-thou syndrome..but, it is what it is, and to make it what it once was, is not only improbable, but probably illogical. Either way..I love you, Steve. You've always been one of my favorites, and what I did learn from you, is only part of what I wish I had learned from you. Not joking. Wistfully your's,Erik
Thanks for the kind words.I need to change the title of this thread, it sounds way too dramatic.
Ding.Simple fact is that a lot of us just don't have time for it. We maybe made it too large a part of our lives for too long, maybe we just found other avenues, a lot of us who have been playing for some time, feel some sense of contempt and holier-than-thou syndrome..but, it is what it is, and to make it what it once was, is not only improbable, but probably illogical. Either way..I love you, Steve. You've always been one of my favorites, and what I did learn from you, is only a very small part of what I wish I had learned from you. No lie, my friend.Let me know if you ever make it out to see the Militech camp.
Get a room!!
You post too much.
I do miss a little bit of this, clever, witty, to the point but not too savage.

I think it's a little harsh to come down on the entire GP forum and say that things have gotten away from being a "positive environment" solely because you were personally treated poorly by one or two members in the WPT Championship thread.If that isn't what this is about and you have concerns that are unrelated to that thread, I apologize, but that's the way it seems to me. In my opinion, GP has been much more enjoyable to read and post in during the last month or so than it has been in well over a year (since about the time the FCP Poker Room opened up). I said so in the thread that loxo linked to earlier. I spent at least a year basically ignoring GP because it had become such a wasteland of pointless flame wars and +1's, and I'm actually enjoying it again for the first time in a very long time. I don't agree with your statement that GP has gotten worse lately, it's most certainly getting better (work in progress). No offense intended Steve, you've earned a lot of respect and you certainly have mine, but you can't expect every member of the forum to be 100% ice cream and puppy dogs 100% of the time, life just doesn't work that way. Adam

In order to get any noticeable changes in the behavior of a forum, veterans need to step up and set the example of what they want to see. It's the only way forums positively change coupled with good moderating. I believe the moderating has worked very well and has begun to pay off. Popular posters & veterans of the forum are the ones who need to contribute more positively for new users to pick up what the community is all about. It's the chain effect and it starts from the ground up.Regarding sign ups... our monthly registration stats are nearly the same as they were a year ago, which is a pretty large number.

In order to get any noticeable changes in the behavior of a forum, veterans need to step up and set the example of what they want to see. It's the only way forums positively change coupled with good moderating. I believe the moderating has worked very well and has begun to pay off. Popular posters & veterans of the forum are the ones who need to contribute more positively for new users to pick up what the community is all about. It's the chain effect and it starts from the ground up.Regarding sign ups... our monthly registration stats are nearly the same as they were a year ago, which is a pretty large number.
Don't you get it? There's a million places on the web to talk seriously about poker; why should they(we) do it here? We used to do it here, because we liked each other--or at least were entertained by each other. What incentive do "popular posters & veterans" have to contribute? To work towards a "more postive" environment? And in what way is that positive environment rewarding to "popular posters & veterans"?
I think it's a little harsh to come down on the entire GP forum and say that things have gotten away from being a "positive environment" solely because you were personally treated poorly by one or two members in the WPT Championship thread.If that isn't what this is about and you have concerns that are unrelated to that thread, I apologize, but that's the way it seems to me. In my opinion, GP has been much more enjoyable to read and post in during the last month or so than it has been in well over a year (since about the time the FCP Poker Room opened up). I said so in the thread that loxo linked to earlier. I spent at least a year basically ignoring GP because it had become such a wasteland of pointless flame wars and +1's, and I'm actually enjoying it again for the first time in a very long time. I don't agree with your statement that GP has gotten worse lately, it's most certainly getting better (work in progress). No offense intended Steve, you've earned a lot of respect and you certainly have mine, but you can't expect every member of the forum to be 100% ice cream and puppy dogs 100% of the time, life just doesn't work that way. Adam
Honestly my thread had absolutely nothing to do with one hand that I played at the WPT. The comment the guy made did rub me the wrong way however. Tourneys are tough, my hat is off to all of those who show success in them on a consistant basis. But this is a topic that I bring up regarding general forum every so often. Hands that I play in tourneys are completely irrelevent.In truth my timing on this matter could be off a bit. I have noticed a decline for awhile now, and chose today to address it. But if things are getting better, I will certainly take all of your opinions to heart. I want the best for FCP, and if you guys say that it is better. Far be it for me to complain. I want this place to be better for you, much more than for me.As a side note. I would love a world full of puppies and ice cream.
This is the thread I was talking about, not sure if it's the link you wanted to see. Loxo posted it earlier above. http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=98089
I meant the one with the WPT Championship Hand that you mentioned to Steve. If you want to look for it, awesome, though, I'm not really going to be waiting with bated breath. I can only imagine. "Steve did (marginally correct but debatable play). He's a donk." "Yeah, wow..I can't believe that.""(Some respectful but slightly defensive response from Steve about his play).""Whatever, you suck""Yeah, really, donk."That sound about right?
Honestly my thread had absolutely nothing to do with one hand that I played at the WPT. The comment the guy made did rub me the wrong way however. Tourneys are tough, my hat is off to all of those who show success in them on a consistant basis. But this is a topic that I bring up regarding general forum every so often. Hands that I play in tourneys are completely irrelevent.In truth my timing on this matter could be off a bit. I have noticed a decline for awhile now, and chose today to address it. But if things are getting better, I will certainly take all of your opinions to heart. I want the best for FCP, and if you guys say that it is better. Far be it for me to complain. I want this place to be better for you, much more than for me.As a side note. I would love a world full of puppies and ice cream.
I totally agree that many of the better-known posters have left GP for OT General, and a large part of that was (IMO) due to the early days of moderation and "over-moderation" in GP. People didn't want to be told what they could talk about and what they couldn't, and OT Gen is more of a "say anything you want" online community, which a lot of the more veteran posters were looking for. Side-note: The moderation has been much, much better in the last six months or so than it was in the very beginning. I think we can all attribute that to a learning curve for the mods and admins, whom I feel do an excellent job. Let's face facts, most people can't talk solely about poker for two years straight, GP is the hook, but OT Gen is what keeps members as "participating members". There's nothing wrong with that, and they still come back to GP to actually discuss poker.
Don't you get it? There's a million places on the web to talk seriously about poker; why should they(we) do it here? We used to do it here, because we liked each other--or at least were entertained by each other. What incentive do "popular posters & veterans" have to contribute? To work towards a "more postive" environment? And in what way is that positive environment rewarding to "popular posters & veterans"?
I do agree with this to a large degree. I am now playing much higher limits than I ever anticipated, and feel like I have a lot to share. But I spend most of the time sharing it with my current students as opposed to the FCP Community. It would be qute simple for me to duplicate an e-mail. But then I ask myself what's the point. When I played 10 limits lower than I am now, people seemed really intersted in what I was doing. Now if I were to talk about sessions or hands, it would seem like I was name dropping. Doesn't seem like a win win situation. Maybe I'm wrong.