I've been playing poker for about 2 years now. I've only been playing poker online for a few months now. Either way, poker is still something that I have much to learn about. My question is this.... If I want to make some serious money online, what kind of games should I be playing. Normally I play One Table Sit and Go's. I'm in the money about 80% of the time. I also play tournaments but normally for just 10 dollars. Right now I'm only playing poker online as a hobby. I'm not really looking into making some seroius money with it. I do know that there is money to be made. Should I be sticking to the SnG's or should I be playing cash games. I almost always play No Limit Hold'em but I can see the potential for Limit Cash games. Any suggestions to the type of games I should be playing if I want online poker to be a serious invest for me.

I've been playing poker for about 2 years now. I've only been playing poker online for a few months now. Either way, poker is still something that I have much to learn about. My question is this.... If I want to make some serious money online, what kind of games should I be playing. Normally I play One Table Sit and Go's. I'm in the money about 80% of the time. I also play tournaments but normally for just 10 dollars. Right now I'm only playing poker online as a hobby. I'm not really looking into making some seroius money with it. I do know that there is money to be made. Should I be sticking to the SnG's or should I be playing cash games. I almost always play No Limit Hold'em but I can see the potential for Limit Cash games. Any suggestions to the type of games I should be playing if I want online poker to be a serious invest for me.
80% of the time? How many have u played? Which site do you play on and what is the buyin amount?

I play at Poker Stars. $10 1 Table SnG's. Poker Stars has 9 person SnG's with the following pay out structure: 1st 50% 2nd 30% 3rd 20% I'm not sure how many games I've played but it's enough to have earned over 600 in FPP.

Play cash, money can be made in SNG's but really, only if ur playing $20, $50 (and thats maybe) .. Stick to cash, If its NL play very tight, I used to play tight and I made a bit of money playing the $25 NL tables on party, I play really loose now and found out the hard way ( $500 hard way ) its not profitable in low limit NL ( can be in higher limits though). If you want to play Limt holdem I'll tell you what everyone else will tell you. Start, low. Have a bankroll of at least 300x BB, read Small Stakes Holdem by Sklansky, re-read it, then read it again. play a bunch of hands and gain experiecence, there is money to be made.

80% in the money is wholly unsustainable. You'll know your true win rate after you play about 3000 sit n gos, until then, let's call it 40-50%.Where you can make the most money really depends on what site you play at and what your skill set is best suited for. At Ultimate Bet the no limit and pot limit cash games are softest, while at Party the limit hold'em games are the cash cows. I don't know what tables are softest at stars, because I don't have an account there, but if you splash around I'm sure you'll find something you like.Just experiment until you find what you're best at, then focus on becoming as good at it as possible, adding tables as you feel comfortable. Making money at poker is a pretty exponential thing, and as your bankroll grows, so will the money you can comfortably take off the top of it.Good luck to you.

Amazing how many posters here are in the money over half the time in SnG's considering the statistic unlikelyhood.It's like 30 people you know winning Powerball or something.
I was thinking the same thing.Every forum I am on ya see the same thing. There must be alot of very lucky players out there. If it was skill I doubt you could get in the money 80% of the time.I've only played about 100 SnG's so far and am in the money 49% of the time and am showing a small profit.I think that's more sustainable and closer to reality.

"Amazing how many posters here are in the money over half the time in SnG's considering the statistic unlikelyhood. It's like 30 people you know winning Powerball or something."Another one I like is ..."Hi guys. I just deposited $100 into Site X and turned it into $1200 in 3 days. What should I do now?"I see those at least once per week. Must be a rush on lucky retards who can't manage a BR. Or liars. Your pick.

Amazing how many posters here are in the money over half the time in SnG's considering the statistic unlikelyhood.It's like 30 people you know winning Powerball or something.
I must suck I average about 35-40 percent in sit n gos 1,2 and 3 table and I make out all right on them, 80% not sustainable unless of course you've only played 3.

He said "about 80%". To some people, 40% is about 80. To OP, I don't know if you don't keep good records or you haven't played many SNGs, but I haven't heard of anyone, even great players, cashing 80% of the time consistently.

Why is it hard to believe that 8 times out of 10 I make at least 3rd place? It's remarkable easy to make it in the money just by playing tightly early on and then finally making some moves when 4 or 5 players are already out. I don't keep good records so I can't say with a degree of certainty that it's 80%, I must be honest, that was just an estimation. But easily more than half the time.Seems like I should be playing limit poker then. They only low limit book I have is the first poker book I bought. Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones. Excellent book.

that was a good one

If you only play NL hold'em, I wouldn't switch over to limit expecting similar results. Truthfully, you'd probably start to lose. Read some books on limit poker before starting to play it. And cash games are really where the money is at. Sit & go's? Not so much.

Fine, fine, fine. But it's over 50%. Or... perhaps you just all just suck at poker. How 'bout that, eh? :evil: Nah... I'm just an exaggerating <sp?> liar. :club: Thanks for all that advice guys.

Why is it hard to believe that 8 times out of 10 I make at least 3rd place?  It's remarkable easy to make it in the money just by playing tightly early on and then finally making some moves when 4 or 5 players are already out.  I don't keep good records so I can't say with a degree of certainty that it's 80%, I must be honest, that was just an estimation.  But easily more than half the time.Seems like I should be playing limit poker then.  They only low limit book I have is the first poker book I bought.  Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones.  Excellent book.
Piece. Of. Shlt. from what Ive heard, read SSHE, and apply that/

If you're good at NL, here's my suggestion:Start playing NL cash games. Why play sit and goes when you can just spank the cash games? You'll find the players are just as bad, if not worse, and you'll be able to win more money. Seriously. It's scary at first, but do it. Ice

Why is it hard to believe that 8 times out of 10 I make at least 3rd place?  It's remarkable easy to make it in the money just by playing tightly early on and then finally making some moves when 4 or 5 players are already out.  I don't keep good records so I can't say with a degree of certainty that it's 80%, I must be honest, that was just an estimation.  But easily more than half the time.Seems like I should be playing limit poker then. They only low limit book I have is the first poker book I bought.  Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Lee Jones.  Excellent book.
Excellent as a source of kindlingSeriously, this book has a reputation of teaching weak and passive play-which is very suicidal at a table
I must suck I average about 35-40 percent in sit n gos 1,2 and 3 table and I make out all right on them, 80% not sustainable unless of course you've only played 3.
35-40% is very good man, but you I don't think you are in that range if you would think someone could have an 80% average in 3 games :club: