hey man what do you think is a good amount of money to have for the 100NL heads up? I mean is 20 buyins cutting it close? or do you think you would need 30-50 to keep from going insane?Also I hate people that say lets play HEAD UP poker... it should be headS up that is all.
I advocate having a single-digit number of buyins. Keeps ya sharp. :club:
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also I hate people that say lets play HEAD UP poker... it should be headS up that is all.
ohgodyesamen

Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $0.25/$0.509 playersConverterStack sizes:UTG: $37.20UTG+1: $65.25MP1: $15.05MP2: $76.10MP3: $58CO: $54.85CrazyJoe113: $17.75SB: $50.45BB: $49.50Pre-flop: (9 players) CrazyJoe113 is Button with J :club: J :D UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $1.75, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, 2 folds, CrazyJoe113 calls, 2 folds.Flop: 5 :) 2 :) 5 :D ($6, 3 players)UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, CrazyJoe113 bets $3.25, UTG+1 raises to $9, MP2 folds, CrazyJoe113 calls.Turn: 9 :D ($24, 2 players)UTG+1 bets $7, CrazyJoe113 calls all-in $7.River: 3 :D ($38, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $38)Results:Final pot: $38UTG+1 showed Ks AsCrazyJoe113 showed Jd Jh

hey man what do you think is a good amount of money to have for the 100NL heads up? I mean is 20 buyins cutting it close? or do you think you would need 30-50 to keep from going insane?Also I hate people that say lets play HEAD UP poker... it should be headS up that is all.
You've seen my graphs, yea?20 by the absolute min, but I still think that's risky.I've said before, it's totally normal to drop 5 buy-ins after hardly any hands, and then win that back...it really depends on how comfy you are....back in the day I'd play it with like a 3k roll...I'm really really really overrolled right now for it with like 17k...but it's awesome cuz i basically get all in with flush draws and 1 over everytime and just hope that if I miss the guy doesn't run off..cuz i'll usually eventually bust him.have > 100 buy-ins makes playing a lot easier..but it's def. not neccesary for 100nl or 200nl..but i'm just having fun grinding some for a while.I think 30-50 be good...but dont play on FTP. that's my playground now :club:- Jordan
You've seen my graphs, yea?20 by the absolute min, but I still think that's risky.I've said before, it's totally normal to drop 5 buy-ins after hardly any hands, and then win that back...it really depends on how comfy you are....back in the day I'd play it with like a 3k roll...I'm really really really overrolled right now for it with like 17k...but it's awesome cuz i basically get all in with flush draws and 1 over everytime and just hope that if I miss the guy doesn't run off..cuz i'll usually eventually bust him.have > 100 buy-ins makes playing a lot easier..but it's def. not neccesary for 100nl or 200nl..but i'm just having fun grinding some for a while.I think 30-50 be good...but dont play on FTP. that's my playground now :club:- Jordan
I actually think I am taking a break from poker, unless my friend is blowing smoke up my *** I should be a project manager for a creation of a database for some survey company. It is going to involve spending all night on the phone with people from India telling them to fix various things.I hate computers but meh pays the bills.
I actually think I am taking a break from poker, unless my friend is blowing smoke up my *** I should be a project manager for a creation of a database for some survey company. It is going to involve spending all night on the phone with people from India telling them to fix various things.I hate computers but meh pays the bills.
no neck, what games do you play and where? i think i ran into you earlier this weekedit: just checked your blog, nevermind. i dont think it was u :club:
One opponent, $1/2 NL HU109 minutes, $1,097 won, 323 hands, 84.91BB/100HU.jpg:club:
Post some HH please.weeeeeeeeeeeeei take it he quit you after he lost 5 buy-ins? - Jordan
One opponent, $1/2 NL HU109 minutes, $1,097 won, 323 hands, 84.91BB/100HU.jpg:club:
Holy hell.I bet when you went from near +600 to under +200, you were thinking, "I can't believe I'm not going to scalp this guy.":D
Post some HH please.weeeeeeeeeeeeei take it he quit you after he lost 5 buy-ins? - Jordan
Actually he started with about $1,200 and never rebought, he just stood until he went broke. At the very beginning of the match he taunted me a few minutes in saying I "even played like a puppy" (in reference to my avatar of the poodle) simply because I wasn't playing every hand like him. I have NO IDEA how he made so much but I destroyed him. About halfway into the match he went on total tilt and began raising every hand to 5BB and min 3 betting me whenever I raised. I actually got worried for a bit because it seemed like every time I was gonna breakthrough he would spike a 2 pair on the turn and end up taking a big hand down. He slowed down once he was down to about 200 bucks a little bit for some reason. As requested, some gems:Here's what started the tilt. I admit I got a bit lucky here.Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $1/$22 playersConverterStack sizes:SB: $1199.95Hero: $212Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with A :) T :icon_dance: SB calls, Hero raises to $7, SB calls.Flop: Q :club: 6 :icon_dance: T :club: ($14, 2 players)Hero bets $9, SB calls.Turn: 5 :icon_dance: ($32, 2 players)Hero checks, SB bets $20, Hero raises to $62, SB raises to $174, Hero raises all-in $196, SB calls.River: 7 :icon_dance: ($424, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $424)Results:Final pot: $424SB showed 5c QsHero showed As TsMe calling him down with what turned out to be 4th pair.Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $1/$22 playersConverterStack sizes:SB: $961.25Hero: $446.50Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 7 :icon_dance: 7 :club: SB calls, Hero raises to $7, SB calls.Flop: 8 :club: 4 :club: 3 :icon_dance: ($14, 2 players)Hero bets $8, SB calls.Turn: K :club: ($30, 2 players)Hero checks, SB bets $30, Hero calls.River: 9 :icon_dance: ($90, 2 players)Hero checks, SB bets $64, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: $218SB showed 2d TcHero showed 7s 7cI think an argument can be made to push here considering how horribly he has played but I'm not sure if he pays me off with a lesser diamond so I just called. Plus we're so deep and I don't want to have to rebuy back down to 100BB against this guy if I'm wrong. Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $1/$22 playersConverterStack sizes:SB: $863.25Hero: $538.50Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with Q :D Q :heart:SB raises to $10, Hero raises to $35, SB calls.Flop: 6 :D 7 :D K :D ($70, 2 players)Hero bets $40, SB calls.Turn: 8 :) ($150, 2 players)Hero checks, SB bets $50, Hero calls.River: 4 :heart: ($250, 2 players)Hero checks, SB bets $150, Hero calls.Results:Final pot: $550SB showed Ts JcHero showed Qd QhNot sure why he didn't bluff this after he bluffed that 7's hand down so horridly. Maybe I scared him. I didn't pull the trigger because I figured if he had any part of that board he would call any river bet (fold wasn't really in his vocabulary).Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $1/$22 playersConverterStack sizes:SB: $748.50Hero: $640.75Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 6 :icon_dance: 5 :heart:SB raises to $10, Hero calls.Flop: A :club: 2 :club: Q :club: ($20, 2 players)Hero checks, SB checks.Turn: K :club: ($20, 2 players)Hero bets $20, SB calls.River: K :club: ($60, 2 players)Hero checks, SB checks.Results:Final pot: $60Hero showed 6s 5sSB mucks 5c 3sHe's in min 3 bet mode. It's fun to chase gutshots. I'm liking his call down with bottom pair, Q kicker.Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $1/$22 playersConverterStack sizes:Hero: $431.25BB: $955Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with 6 :heart: 9 :)Hero raises to $6, BB raises to $10, Hero calls.Flop: K :club: 8 :heart: 5 :club: ($20, 2 players)BB bets $12, Hero calls.Turn: 7 :club: ($44, 2 players)BB bets $12, Hero raises to $44, BB calls.River: 9 :club: ($132, 2 players)BB checks, Hero bets $80, BB calls.Results:Final pot: $292Hero showed 6c 9dBB mucks 5c Qs

I've never had a guy on tilt like this guy. It's ten minutes since I left the table and he's still talking smack about me. :)Full Tilt PokerNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $2/$46 playersConverterStack sizes:UTG: $400UTG+1: $429Hero: $729.50Button: $441SB: $491.50BB: $96.50Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is CO with 3 :club: 5 :D UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $16, Hero calls, 2 folds, BB calls.Flop: 6 :) 3 :) 4 :D ($50, 3 players)BB checks, UTG+1 bets $85, Hero raises all-in $713.5, BB folds, UTG+1 calls all-in $328.Uncalled bets: $300.5 returned to Hero. Turn: 3 :D ($876, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $876)River: 4 :D ($876, 0 player + 2 all-in - Main pot: $876)Results:Final pot: $876UTG+1 showed 9d 9sHero showed 3d 5d

LOL, wow.U did get a few very nice hands there HU. but also. He did play some pretty horrible poker in a couple of those hands.
That is a huge understatement. He played horrible poker basically the whole match lol. I'm serious when I say that after about 100 hands in he began min 3 betting every one of my raises and would raise to 5BB himself 100% of the time, and when I 4 bet to 15-20BB he NEVER folded. Not once. The reason it took me so long to get all his monies is because I actually had to play a bit careful considering how ridiculously deep stacked we were at some points and his huge hand range.
LOL, wow.U did get a few very nice hands there HU. but also. He did play some pretty horrible poker in a couple of those hands.
That's pretty much how you earn 5 buy ins a few hundred hands. lol.- Jordan
  • 1 month later...

Reposted from General:For anyone who was interested in my progress, I appreciate it.My table was pretty nice. I had two good players to my left and across the table was a guy I recognized from a WPT final table. He was okay. This guy was two to my left:http://www.cardplayer.com/players/photos/James_Gorham/36241He's a very good player. I picked up a physical tell on him and two hands later, he goes broke. Early on, I floated a flop with bottom pair against the preflop raiser. We checked through the turn and I rivered a backdoor flush. He paid me off. From there, it was all uphill. Most of the players were willing to concede pots they raised if they missed.A decent-sized stack raised and I called with AhTh. Flop was K-x-x, all hearts. Somehow, he lost his entire stack with AK. I made kind of a crazy move to get over 20k that I won't post. From there, I'd go up and down as I was raising two or three times per orbit. Phil Hellmuth got moved to my table and was bitching about a bad beat (a guy kept betting at him on a K84 board, Phil called down with 55 and the guy rivered a 9 to turn his bluff into the best hand). The guy who cracked James Gorham had a ton of chips and was seriously awful. I'm positive someone was doubling through him. The following hand would've made me one of the chip leaders and put me in a nice spot to be the benefactor of his chips:It folds to me and I make it 1000 with AA, which was the second big pair I had all tourney (after QQ, which I butchered). A tight player in seat one raised me to 3000. He had me covered. He was really tight, but he had re-raised me twice previously. I knew he wasn't raising light, so I decided to overbet, making it look like I was frustrated and wanted to plow through him. We got it all in preflop. He had QQ and turned quads.I had never played in a live event like this and I have to say...it was a blast. I feel like crap, of course, but it's good knowing you can play with these players. I really felt like I had a chance to make a good run if my aces held up. Now I need to recover and see if I want to play in tomorrow's field.GL everyone else.EDIT: Also, Kurt is a really cool guy and is seriously busting his ***. It is not easy getting around down there!I have more stories which I'll update when the depression subsides. :club:

Smooth landing...Well, it all started with a smooth landing in Vegas, which means I won my first coin flip. I headed straight to the Rio and met my buddy, Andy. He was about to load into a cab and head...elsewhere. Instead, he, my buddy Ken and I went down to the card room.It was a tad bit overwhelming.There were about a billion people there and no matter where you turned, you ran into a bracelet winner.Coolered...and other other satellite funFirst thing I did was sit down at a satellite, 325 buyin, winner gets 3k in tourney chips. It's so weird playing in those things because the players are generally horrible with random big name pros sprinkled in.Okay, so three to my left is Sam Grizzle. Second hand, he makes it 100 or so and the entire world calls. I call with As5s. Flop is A-T-5. GG Jay.Andy stops off at my table and hands me 1k in tourney chips. He just chopped up 2k in tourney chips when his opponent doubled up two straight hands calling all ins with 2-4. They evened out in chips and chopped.I sat down at a 200 dollar sat., found out it was 1k in chips to start and just tried to donk it off because I was annoyed. Instead, my all in call with J7 doubled me up and I coasted. I ended the night by paying for the 2k event with chips.Acid Knight: A 60 dollar meetingAcid invites me out to the Bellagio, but my buddies don't want to leave the Rio. After making a nice little profit, Acid decides to come down and introduce himself. We're BS'ing when he tells me to raise blind. I agree, but the tight player to my right makes it 20. I figure a blind raise to 60 should do nicely. The table maniac calls. The tight player re-raises. I sadly fold what turned out to be 5c-3c (I think), a hand I would've never folded for 20. Oh well.WSOP 2k EventI didn't sleep much before this event and ended up showing up a little late. First thing I noticed...I don't recognize anyone at my table. I didn't play the first seven or eight hands, which is pretty torturous for me. I immediately noticed the player in seat three observing everyone pretty intently, generally a sign of a decent player. His jacket said "WPT Final Table" and I convinced myself I had seen him before. Oh, also, the jacket came off shortly after since it was 400 degrees out there.The guy to my left was obviously aggressive and to his left, there was a good player named Jimmy Gorham who turned out to be a 2006 bracelet winner and a 2007 final tablist.The first hand I won was with KQ from the button. I called a raise with KQ and bet the flop when it was checked to me. With that first hand in the books, I figured it was time to get involved.I called a raise with 5c-3c from the WPT guy. Jimmy called from the SB. The flop was Q73. Jimmy checked. WPT bet. I called. Jimmy check-raised. We both called. The turn was a second club. It checked through. The river completed my flush. WPT bet. I raised. Jimmy folded QT. WPT called and mucked when I said "flush". I can honestly say I have no idea what hand he had.Want Big Stack? Here You Go!I had built my stack up to about 9k from the 4k starting stack when I called a raise with AhTh. A few other people took the flop of Kh7h3h. The preflop raiser bet out 1k into the 800 chip pot. I called. No one else did. The turn was a brick. He went all in for 7000 with AK, LOL, and I was one of the chip leaders.7-2? Can't call a raise...The original player to my left was eliminated and the new guy on my left was awesome. He folded everything and the two times he called my raise from the SB, he folded the flop as I was riffling my chips to make a bet.So I'm sitting on around 15k in chips when he finally goes all in UTG for 1500 at the 100-200 level. Three big stacks (including the only other two good players at the table) call the all in. I already know I'm taking the flop no matter what, but when I look down at 7c-2c, I decide to stick it all in. The other three, of course, fold and I like my hand heads up getting 4:1. UTG flips over 3-3 and the board double pairs and my image is now awesome.First Tournament, Probably Chip LeaderMeanwhile, the greatest thing ever happened at my table. The player in seat 10 somehow knocked out Jimmy and a couple other players and built a monster stack. This was his first ever tournament and he was horrrrrrrible. I was sitting on around 22k and he probably had about 35k. He cracked Jimmy on a board of 23566 with three clubs when Jimmy check-raised him all in and he instacalled with 88.I just needed to put myself in a position to take all of this guy's chips.Re-raised three times too manyThe player in seat one moved to my table with a lot of chips. The first or second hand he played, I limped with AhJh and Jimmy raised. I had planned on sticking it over the top of him, but the new seat 1 re-raised. We both folded and Jimmy mentioned that it was a good spot for a squeeze.Well, this guy didn't play another hand for over an hour. During the three hours he was at my table, he re-raised me three times preflop and I folded each. This wasn't a big deal because I raised a lot of hands.Finally, with about 23k in front of me, I raised up right after the break with AA. Once again, he raised me and I decided to make it look like I was just making a stand and made an overbet push. He thought about it forever and then got it in with QQ for a pot of around 47k. He flopped trips and turned quads. That would've put me near the chip lead before dinner.To be continued after a good cry...

Smooth landing... 7-2? Can't call a raise......but when I look down at 7c-2c, I decide to stick it all in. The other three, of course, fold and I like my hand heads up getting 4:1. UTG flips over 3-3 and the board double pairs and my image is now awesome.Re-raised three times too manyFinally, with about 23k in front of me, I raised up right after the break with AA. Once again, he raised me and I decided to make it look like I was just making a stand and made an overbet push. He thought about it forever and then got it in with QQ for a pot of around 47k. He flopped trips and turned quads. That would've put me near the chip lead before dinner.
I always draw parallels between events like these. I don't know why.
I always draw parallels between events like these. I don't know why.
LOL.The guy wasn't at my table for that move. :club: