Interesting Christopher Hitchens Interview...

Do you think an avowed atheist would ever get elected in the U.S.?Yes. I do not believe any of the statistical claims that are made about public opinion. I don’t see why anybody does.very very interesting... I, definitely, wish he would have said more about why he thinks the statistical claims mean nothing. :club: I'm a bit divided on whether religion really matters in politics or not.

What must Bush make of that?I think it’s false to say that the president acts as if he believes he has God’s instructions.I tend to agree with that statement. As much as I'm not a fan of Bush's decisions in the office, I'm not quick to claim that he derives his decisions becase "God told him to"... his religious influence is a different story, though. Many times, religion has nothing to do with the concept of god, but more with the concept of the religion itself.

Will you write about Virginia Tech?I have no interest in it, but if it goes on for a couple of days I will. My heart sinks when yellow-ribbon events occur, if that doesn’t sound too cynical. What one needs in this society is less sentimentality and more stoicism. [He did write a Slate column last week, headlined SUCK IT UP.]THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! I think I'm almost falling in love with this guy. Except for his views on the need of America to remove psychopathic dictators :club:

• 2 weeks later...
Do you think an avowed atheist would ever get elected in the U.S.?Yes. I do not believe any of the statistical claims that are made about public opinion. I don’t see why anybody does.very very interesting... I, definitely, wish he would have said more about why he thinks the statistical claims mean nothing. :club: I'm a bit divided on whether religion really matters in politics or not.
It could be because many people don't exactly trust statistical claims as an honest evaluator because it is well known how easy it can be manipulated/just flat out wrong.See exit polls of last presidental election if you want an example.

They had a page a day last week in the National Post from his book, God Isn't Great. Very thought provoking stuff, especially when it comes to Islam. I think I'll buy the book.

I, actually, just saw a debate that Christopher Hitchens was a part of on google video. I enjoyed it very much and saw myself siding with him on many of his points. He even irritated some guy in the audience enough that security was needed :-\I wish I remember the topic of the debate, where I saw it, or at least had a link for everyone. I guess this post is pretty useless.If interested, though, check out "Christopher Hitchens debate" on google video. It was religious in nature with two other debaters. Make sure that the "long 20 minutes <" is selected in the time length box.

• 2 months later...

I have enjoyed almost every Hitchens' book, including the ones on Kissinger and Mother Teresa.I didn't expect any surprises from GING re Buddhism but I was wrong, still if derived by oneself from first principles, how wrong can you be?Here's a tidbit about Catholics that some people might not know about: when the Nazis were cleaning out the basements of many Catholic churches, they found lots of aborted skeletons of infants and fetuses. This is not gossip or hearsay, it's unreported fact.Really fascinated tonight by Bill Moyers' Journal (every Thursday 1am EST on PBS stations, perhaps) as he interviewed Clive James and spoke about his new book, Cultural Amnesia. I noted that his comments on Edmund Burke (sp?) would be a good review for a guy like Sklansky, who feels he and many of us would make better politicians than who's out there 'leading' us now.P.S. all these books can be found on emule, ha ha...

Found out about Christopher Hitchens' new book about a month ago, then proceeded to youtube every debate he's had on the subject. I tend to agree with most of his points because they are so rooted in logic and reason. I especially liked the debate where Al Sharpton tried to talk circles around him by asking why he used "God is not Great" instead of "Religion is not Great". The fact is that one cannot exist without the other because as a species we're evangelical. We like it when people think like us, it gives us some sort of vain validation. When early humans conceived the concept of god or gods, and that concept exists in nearly every major civilization known to man, can you tell me why we never heard of non-believers in those societies? It's because those people were cast out by those in power. It didn't take too long for everyone to go along with the god illusion simply to continue to live in a state of relative comfort.