A New Bible?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course. So, judge me. That's the trade-off. That is done here daily, so even steven.
That's interesting, because I always took that passage to mean that God would judge people who took it upon themselves to judge other people. I can't really tell from the scripture, to be honest. The passive voice sucks.

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to those who offered their perspective....and no thanks to those who turned the thread into a debate about their own character...I was just looking to see if there were others that had the same or similar questions that I do...it is nice to know that I am not the only one...thanks again.

Just wanted to say a quick thanks to those who offered their perspective....and no thanks to those who turned the thread into a debate about their own character...I was just looking to see if there were others that had the same or similar questions that I do...it is nice to know that I am not the only one...thanks again.
lolno discussion in the religion forum? impossible!it does suck that it got a little out of hand, but you get one personal attack...and a response... then more input from somewhere else... and the original topic that was, wonderfully, being discussed... well, it gets ignored for a little while :club: I hope what little input I could throw in (in the middle of the boxing match, I'm sure) maybe meant something
That's interesting, because I always took that passage to mean that God would judge people who took it upon themselves to judge other people. I can't really tell from the scripture, to be honest. The passive voice sucks.
No. It means that if you are going to be judged, you had better be able to take the judgement as well. Which is why making a judgement is generally a serious thing. In the case that I am defending myself against it was easy, still serious but it was obvious teh typr of character I was up against
Hmm, ok, Lois. Especially that part where you labeled me a _______ing liberal. Oh yeah, I remember that one. How could I forget? Calling a Libertarian a ______ing liberal? LOL you sure did peg me there
Please. Be a man, and stop whineing about piddly stuff. You are actually in the other thread whineing because somebody else took my side. Do you not use every opportunity you can to belittle christianity? Do you not use every opportunity you can belittle God, and call him a liar? Do you not use every opportunity you can to make it clear that you have no goal in every religous conversation except to degrade any idea of God? Have you not made it perfectly clear by your conduct in every religous conversation that you are not about anything but trying to paint God, and anybody who believes in him, in a bad light? All of these things you do, every day, day in and day out. You accuse me of acting like a child, but really that is all you have done. Your excuse so far-"He did it first." Which I then readily admit, I know exactly how I pegged you, and will stand by my assesment because you have done nothing to prove me wrong. When you do, maybe I change my mind. Until then, at some point God will deal with you for the things you have said against him and his people, and he tells me to just ignore you-"Cast not your pearls before the swine."

This thread shows why you should never talk religion in mixed company. This was a potentially interesting topic, and look what it collapsed into. Now imagine this is a cocktail party.....

This thread shows why you should never talk religion in mixed company. This was a potentially interesting topic, and look what it collapsed into. Now imagine this is a cocktail party.....
I never did answer the question. I would treat the situation just like God told me to, where he said that if any man were to claim that he or an angel came to him to deliver a new word, that man would have actually been dealing with a devil. Therefore, not from God. So, it's alot less interesting than you think because the answer is pretty simple.
No. It means that if you are going to be judged, you had better be able to take the judgement as well.
What in the scripture leads you in that direction?
What in the scripture leads you in that direction?
A conglomeration of things. We know that God asks us to seperate ourselves, right? You are the company you keep so to speak. Now, in order to do so, you would have to be able to judge who was good for you and who wasn't. Why would God ask us to judge and then tell us we can't? Obviously judgement is neccesary- this is how you get people thinking that it makes sense to get on the Hustler jet to spread the word- it makes no sense. God tells me to cast not my pearls before the swine- how do I identify the swine? Judgement. There are many scriptures that tell us to excercise sound judgement, etc.- but, judge not lest ye be judged. All that means is the same judgement that you use on soemone else you had better apply it to yourself, because God will. If you pass that judgement, where is the bad? If I chastise somebody for stealing, call him a thief, and I do not steal and am not a thief, I pass my own judgement so to speak.
A conglomeration of things. We know that God asks us to seperate ourselves, right? You are the company you keep so to speak. Now, in order to do so, you would have to be able to judge who was good for you and who wasn't. Why would God ask us to judge and then tell us we can't? Obviously judgement is neccesary- this is how you get people thinking that it makes sense to get on the Hustler jet to spread the word- it makes no sense. God tells me to cast not my pearls before the swine- how do I identify the swine? Judgement. There are many scriptures that tell us to excercise sound judgement, etc.- but, judge not lest ye be judged. All that means is the same judgement that you use on soemone else you had better apply it to yourself, because God will. If you pass that judgement, where is the bad? If I chastise somebody for stealing, call him a thief, and I do not steal and am not a thief, I pass my own judgement so to speak.
I'm not clear on your point now, because from this post it looks like we're reading it the same way.The question is, does the scripture mean:
  1. Judge not, lest ye be judged [by God].
  2. Judge not, lest ye be judged [by other people].
  3. Judge not, lest ye be judged [by God and other people].

I'm not clear on your point now, because from this post it looks like we're reading it the same way.The question is, does the scripture mean:
  1. Judge not, lest ye be judged [by God].
  2. Judge not, lest ye be judged [by other people].
  3. Judge not, lest ye be judged [by God and other people].

All 3. The point is, unless you can stand judgement, then don't judge. We will all be judged, and we are required to use judgement in our lives. The question is whether or not the judgement you use against others, can you pass that same judgement? This applies to so many things, I could literally give you hundreds of examples of how this works. Here is simple one: I won't let people smoke weed in my house. Ever. I don't smoke weed, don't want the smell around,don't want my daughter seeing that, etc. If you insist on bringing weed into my house, you are not welcome any longer. You are not fit to hang out with me. I can make that judgement, I can treat that person in this way because I have earned that by my example when it comes to drugs. Now, if I was sneaking around smoking weed I have no buisness making that judgement. Do you understand where the scripture is coming from now?
I never did answer the question. I would treat the situation just like God told me to, where he said that if any man were to claim that he or an angel came to him to deliver a new word, that man would have actually been dealing with a devil. Therefore, not from God. So, it's alot less interesting than you think because the answer is pretty simple.
But didn't you get that from a book written by humans (as inspired by God or whatever)? How would you know that the NEXT one isn't also from God. What if the first paragraph in it is "Uh, guys, this is God. Really, it is. Sorry I made it sound like that was my last one, but I've got some new information for you, because people just aren't getting it. So add this one to your required reading list."I mean, you seem to accept the New Testament, isn't that basically the same idea? "Oh, one more thing..." And same for the Book of Mormon. By what criteria is your particular final book THE final book?
All 3.
That's C.
The point is, unless you can stand judgement, then don't judge. We will all be judged, and we are required to use judgement in our lives. The question is whether or not the judgement you use against others, can you pass that same judgement? This applies to so many things, I could literally give you hundreds of examples of how this works. Here is simple one: I won't let people smoke weed in my house. Ever. I don't smoke weed, don't want the smell around,don't want my daughter seeing that, etc. If you insist on bringing weed into my house, you are not welcome any longer. You are not fit to hang out with me. I can make that judgement, I can treat that person in this way because I have earned that by my example when it comes to drugs. Now, if I was sneaking around smoking weed I have no buisness making that judgement. Do you understand where the scripture is coming from now?
I'm reading it more strictly than you are. I don't think Jesus is saying this is an optional rule.Judge not, -- This means don't judge people.lest you be judged. -- This means if you **** up and judge people despite what I said, God will judge you.I think it's OK to judge behaviors, but not people.
But didn't you get that from a book written by humans (as inspired by God or whatever)? How would you know that the NEXT one isn't also from God. What if the first paragraph in it is "Uh, guys, this is God. Really, it is. Sorry I made it sound like that was my last one, but I've got some new information for you, because people just aren't getting it. So add this one to your required reading list."I mean, you seem to accept the New Testament, isn't that basically the same idea? "Oh, one more thing..." And same for the Book of Mormon. By what criteria is your particular final book THE final book?
Very BWTothy, but always valid.
All 3. The point is, unless you can stand judgement, then don't judge. We will all be judged, and we are required to use judgement in our lives. The question is whether or not the judgement you use against others, can you pass that same judgement? This applies to so many things, I could literally give you hundreds of examples of how this works. Here is simple one: I won't let people smoke weed in my house. Ever. I don't smoke weed, don't want the smell around,don't want my daughter seeing that, etc. If you insist on bringing weed into my house, you are not welcome any longer. You are not fit to hang out with me. I can make that judgement, I can treat that person in this way because I have earned that by my example when it comes to drugs. Now, if I was sneaking around smoking weed I have no buisness making that judgement. Do you understand where the scripture is coming from now?
References please, because Nicoson is right on this one.
That's C.I'm reading it more strictly than you are. I don't think Jesus is saying this is an optional rule.Judge not, -- This means don't judge people.lest you be judged. -- This means if you **** up and judge people despite what I said, God will judge you.I think it's OK to judge behaviors, but not people.
One and the same. How else can you judge people? By what they don't do? We judge people all of the time. Think about it. Why not hang out with gangbangers? They are not good people. I just judged. How could that possibly be a sin? That rule would make absolutely no sense.
References please, because Nicoson is right on this one.
I have the references, but let's talk some sense. How is my scenario wrong? How is my scenario not the godly way?
I have the references, but let's talk some sense. How is my scenario wrong? How is my scenario not the godly way?
Because many Christians take the point that you are supposed to try not to judge others... even if it is something that all humans do. Apparently, the less you try to judge others, the more "jesusy or godly" you are.Judging people isn't the main problem, it's the whole book by it's cover ordeal. If you make too many assumptions without enough information, you've got a problem on your hands. Kind of like the way you think about me.
Because many Christians take the point that you are supposed to try not to judge others... even if it is something that all humans do. Apparently, the less you try to judge others, the more "jesusy or godly" you are.Judging people isn't the main problem, it's the whole book by it's cover ordeal. If you make too many assumptions without enough information, you've got a problem on your hands. Kind of like the way you think about me.
So, you haven't made every effort to crap on God and Christianity? My goodness I must have completely misunderstood you. Except I didn't. Everyone knows it. Notice, nobody defended you. Why is that? Because they love me? No. I have been in disagreements with all of them at some point. There are 2 options- 1, they don't care enough to lift a finger in your favor or 2, I am right. You choose. I don't care. I have done my part with you. You have heard the truth, and have chosen to belittle it and spit on it and attempt to make God a liar. For that, I am completely in the right. Your words speak to who you are. If you are not that person, I would suggest saying different combinations of words to say a completely different thought, that way everybody knows the "real" you. I will bet my favorite boxer shorts we know the real you, though.
polka?
Pokah it is, lol. No, my favorites are actually a red and black tiger striped G-string number, but nobodys going to want to win those, even though they are dead sexy. Not on me, of course, but they looked good on the dude on the box.
What you're describing here is that one should not be hypocritical, which I think is valid but in fact is much easier.John 83: The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst4: they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery.5: Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?"6: This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.7: And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her."8: And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.9: But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.10: Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"11: She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." The thing I note here is that instead if Jesus had asked, "Let him who is without adultery cast the first stone," there might have been some to throw stones.
What you're describing here is that one should not be hypocritical, which I think is valid but in fact is much easier.John 83: The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst4: they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery.5: Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?"6: This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.7: And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her."8: And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground.9: But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him.10: Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"11: She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." The thing I note here is that instead if Jesus had asked, "Let him who is without adultery cast the first stone," there might have been some to throw stones.
Guys, work has been really demanding this past 5 days, I will cover these issues soon, probably in a new thread, with scriptures and everything. This is a good scripture, but one key thing you have to realize is they were going to kill her. Big differnce between not hanging out with people who smoke weed vs. killing somebody.