How Did You Get To Be Playing Big?

Well i am trying not to do homework at the moment so figured i would make a topic to waste some time.I was wondering how do the people who play big stakes (such as pmjackon, bkice, jc, looshe etc etc)How did you get up to these levels, did you slowly grind up through the stakes, or did you hit one big cash which allowed you to play large stakes? or how did you get up to playing for a living?Just bored and thought i would ask.Or anyone of course, just need to get procrastinating lol

Not to speak out of turn, but most of the forum members you mentioned got their large rolls together through a "quick" series of MTT wins rather than a prolonged grind at small stakes cash. The nightly guaranteed rebuy tournaments online are a great way to get up a big roll in a "hurry". Hit up thepokerdb.com for timelines and such.

Not to speak out of turn, but most of the forum members you mentioned got their large rolls together through a "quick" series of MTT wins rather than a prolonged grind at small stakes cash. The nightly guaranteed rebuy tournaments online are a great way to get up a big roll in a "hurry". Hit up thepokerdb.com for timelines and such.
What's the rush? I think it's better to take it slow and work your way up. IMO, it's the best way to develop the discipline and skills that keep you a winning player in the long run. If you can't grind, how good are you?
The true grinders don't have the same tournament fame. Think Abbadaba.
Since when does "fame" equal "money and skill"? Right now, I don't give a sh*t about fame. I'd rather keep my nyms anonymous and concentrate on becoming the best player I possibly can be. Anybody who cares about fame when they haven't proven they've got the skill to back it up has his priorities wrong.
What's the rush? I think it's better to take it slow and work your way up. IMO, it's the best way to develop the discipline and skills that keep you a winning player in the long run. If you can't grind, how good are you?
I wasn't offering an opinion on right or wrong, just answering the question of "how did they do it" the best way I know how. The fact that JC, Justin and PMJ are still lighting it up on a monthly basis should tell you all you need to know about being a winning player in the long run. Not everyone has the discipline to stay at one level slowly working your way up to the games you want to be playing, raking the pots you want to be raking. Everyone's looking for the quick rise to the top, for better or worse. The person you are is what keeps you there...or not.

started with $50 jan 06 grindin $5 party sngs and eventually moved up to the $109s (never moved up with less than 30 buyins and often a ton more), then moved to $5-33 mtts and eventually moved up to the big mtts in like sept of 06, since then have started dabblin in cash (started at 5/10, lost, remembered why i decided to start at the bottom and grind up with sngs/mtts and moved back down to 2/4 and started over)i'm sure you can find tons of stories with guys who took shots, hit a massive score in a mtt or a cash game way higher than they're rolled for, but consider their risk of ruin

I wasn't offering an opinion on right or wrong, just answering the question of "how did they do it" the best way I know how.
Yep, cool...nothing personal--I was just arguing abstractly into the void, as usual. LOL
The fact that JC, Justin and PMJ are still lighting it up on a monthly basis should tell you all you need to know about being a winning player in the long run.
If they keep winning big in tournaments, they've obviously mastered one kind of skill. I'm not knocking it, but it is what it is. All I'm saying is if you don't have the discipline to grind and stay a winner, you can't say you're an overall better player than someone who can. Ideally, you should be able to do both. But if you're operating from the premise that you're the whiz kid and nobody can teach you anything (the way so many internet tourney winners seem to do) and spend all your time attention-whoring like [redacted], how will you ever get there? I'm not knocking the three players you named at all, but I'm sure you can fill in the blank with plenty of others.