How Pot Limit Works?

Hi people.Im new here hello,looks a good thriving site,perfect place for my question it seems,I am trying to work out how the betting goes in pot limit hold'em,i believe it is like this,but am not sure,For instance in a $1/$2 the small blind posts the small blind amount of $1 and the big blind posts the big blind of $2,the pot is now $3,if the player to the left of the button wants to raise then he must match the big blind first which is $2,this makes the pot total $5 and they can now raise any amount up to the total of $5,so if he makes a pot sized raise then it is (current pot $3+$2+ his raise of $5 = $10 total that they must place in the pot).Now if another player wants to re-raise $6 then it is (current pot $10+the $2 blind making it $12 + their raise of $6 = $18 total they must place in the pot,this means they have called the previous raise and now re-raised their desired amount.Is this correct or am i well wrong,thanks people.

Yeah, its whatever the size of the pot is, or would be, when all bets are called.So $1-2, sb posts $1 bb posts $2, ep player can raise it to $8, making the pot $11, now someone else can make it $27, so on and so on.

Yeah, its whatever the size of the pot is, or would be, when all bets are called.So $1-2, sb posts $1 bb posts $2, ep player can raise it to $8, making the pot $11, now someone else can make it $27, so on and so on.
Wouldn't the raise be to 7 total? $3 in the pot from the blinds + your $2 call = $5, you can then raise the pot which is $5 making the total amount you put in $7.
Wouldn't the raise be to 7 total? $3 in the pot from the blinds + your $2 call = $5, you can then raise the pot which is $5 making the total amount you put in $7.
SCS had it right the first time. You count the small blind as 2 unless in the situation that you are the bb and the sb folds. Thus not calling the blind.
Hi people.Im new here hello,looks a good thriving site,perfect place for my question it seems,I am trying to work out how the betting goes in pot limit hold'em,i believe it is like this,but am not sure,For instance in a $1/$2 the small blind posts the small blind amount of $1 and the big blind posts the big blind of $2,the pot is now $3,if the player to the left of the button wants to raise then he must match the big blind first which is $2,this makes the pot total $5 and they can now raise any amount up to the total of $5,so if he makes a pot sized raise then it is (current pot $3+$2+ his raise of $5 = $10 total that they must place in the pot).Now if another player wants to re-raise $6 then it is (current pot $10+the $2 blind making it $12 + their raise of $6 = $18 total they must place in the pot,this means they have called the previous raise and now re-raised their desired amount.Is this correct or am i well wrong,thanks people.
I think you're just a little bit off. There's $3 in the pot from the blinds. The raiser will first call the $2 blind, making the pot $5 total. He may now raise $5. $5+$2= raise to $7. If another player, not in the blind, wishes to raise the pot again, he must first put in $7, (the amount of the previous raise) bringing the total pot to $17, then raise $17. $7+$17 = raise to $24.
I think you're just a little bit off. There's $3 in the pot from the blinds. The raiser will first call the $2 blind, making the pot $5 total. He may now raise $5. $5+$2= raise to $7. If another player, not in the blind, wishes to raise the pot again, he must first put in $7, (the amount of the previous raise) bringing the total pot to $17, then raise $17. $7+$17 = raise to $24.
This is right

I refuse to read whatever is going on in this thread, therefore I'll just state the real way to figure out pot limit. I'm certified as a poker dealer and am 100% that this method is correct.In a cash game, you would calculate a pot sized bet by taking the previous bet(whether it be a limper or the big blind) and multiply that by 3. You'd then add the sb as a bb which sounds awkward. So In a $1/$2 PL example if it were folded to you and the blinds were in, you could raise to $8 total. $2 X 3 and then you would add the SB as $2. If the sb folds preflop then you would obviously only count that as $1 when you are on the flop. In a tournament the only difference is that you count the sb as simply the value of the sb in any situation. You never add additional money into the equation. So it would be the bb or prior bet times 3 and add the sb. Say in a 100/200 blind level you have one limper and you want to raise pot. You can make it 3x the bet(600) plus the sb and bb(300). That'd be a simple total of 900, or 700 on top. Simple stuff, just gotta get used to it.Hope that helped.

This is right
$1 sb + $2bb = $3 potRaiser calls bb of $2 (pot is now $5)then can raise the size of the pot ($5) which now brings the pot to $10I wish the idiots on this site would not answer when they do not have a clue what they are talking about.
$34 not $24
$34 not $24
Hi. The person raising is making it $24 to go. Yes, there's $34 in the pot afterword, but that's not what i'm talking about.
I wish the idiots on this site would not answer when they do not have a clue what they are talking about.
I refuse to read whatever is going on in this thread, therefore I'll just state the real way to figure out pot limit. I'm certified as a poker dealer and am 100% that this method is correct.In a cash game, you would calculate a pot sized bet by taking the previous bet(whether it be a limper or the big blind) and multiply that by 3. You'd then add the sb as a bb which sounds awkward. So In a $1/$2 PL example if it were folded to you and the blinds were in, you could raise to $8 total. $2 X 3 and then you would add the SB as $2. If the sb folds preflop then you would obviously only count that as $1 when you are on the flop. In a tournament the only difference is that you count the sb as simply the value of the sb in any situation. You never add additional money into the equation. So it would be the bb or prior bet times 3 and add the sb. Say in a 100/200 blind level you have one limper and you want to raise pot. You can make it 3x the bet(600) plus the sb and bb(300). That'd be a simple total of 900, or 700 on top. Simple stuff, just gotta get used to it.Hope that helped.
are you smokin crack?100+200 =300a limper of 200 now brings the pot to 500if I want to raise I must call the 200 bb which now makes the pot 700then a pot size raise of 700 brings the pot to a total of 1400
are you smokin crack?100+200 =300a limper of 200 now brings the pot to 500if I want to raise I must call the 200 bb which now makes the pot 700then a pot size raise of 700 brings the pot to a total of 1400
Read the example before you jump on someones back. You correctly stated that a pot sized raise was 700 on top, or 900 to go. With the sb, bb, and limpers chips factored in the pot now stands at 1400. What didn't you understand about my example? The part where I stated what he could make it, or the part where I stated how much he could raise on top of the blind?
Read the example before you jump on someones back. You correctly stated that a pot sized raise was 700 on top, or 900 to go. With the sb, bb, and limpers chips factored in the pot now stands at 1400. What didn't you understand about my example? The part where I stated what he could make it, or the part where I stated how much he could raise on top of the blind?
to me your example made it seem like the total pot was 900. **** it I give up.
to me your example made it seem like the total pot was 900. **** it I give up.
It's simple....multiply last bet by three and add the rest of the chips in the pot. The way that you're trying to figure out what's in the pot is way too difficult. 3x the last bet and add the limps/blinds.

Thanks people,Im getting confused with all these different ways to do it,but i think get sprungs way was the easiest and seemed to make sense (to me),Thanks for all the replies though :club:

LOL-no-one-knows-how-to-play-pot-limit-a-ments.
Thanks people,Im getting confused with all these different ways to do it,but i think get sprungs way was the easiest and seemed to make sense (to me),Thanks for all the replies though :club:
yeah but what do you do when some wise guy decides to raise it some strange amount, say, $439.without a calculator your screwed. way too confusing