Playboy Mansion - Duke - Shannon E

Terrence is hardly ineffectual or a whiner. His latest post about calling the tournament organizers should prove that.
He got royally screwed--and do I hope he gets some compensation--but why on earth didn't he stand up for himself at the time? I would have told Duke and Elizabeth that if they didn't STFU I'd call the officials on them. Was he intimidated, trying to be polite, what? Oh well.
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He got royally screwed--and do I hope he gets some compensation--but why on earth didn't he stand up for himself at the time? I would have told Duke and Elizabeth that if they didn't STFU I'd call the officials on them. Was he intimidated, trying to be polite, what? Oh well.
That's easier to say after the fact than it is to do during. Terrence is a pretty chill guy and is the type of guy who wouldn't want to come off as a prick if it can be avoided.
That's easier to say after the fact than it is to do during. Terrence is a pretty chill guy and is the type of guy who wouldn't want to come off as a prick if it can be avoided.
Yep, true...20/20 hindsight, I guess. Besides, I totally wouldn't know anything about wanting to avoid being a prick. LOL

he should have said something at the time.At this point asking for another ME buy in is taking a lot of money away from charity. That's lame. Had he spoken up at the time and not sat there like an idiot, he could have found a fair solution. If he's going to get the buy in, every person who spent money at the event should agree, as whatthey thought they were donating is now going to some puss's ME buy in

**UPDATE** (from Terrence Chan's blog)So I just called Joy Miller, who is an organizer of the event (or maybe the organizer, I'm not sure). We discussed the issue and I made the following points:- I don't want there to be negative publicity or to have a bad taste over this issue because it is a charity event and that's the important thing.- However otoh I think they have the responsibility to uphold the integrity of the event and make things right.- Calling Shannon Elizabeth the winner of this tournament without her winning the tournament is wrong. Having her and steve chop up the two seats is very wrong and very unfair to me considering i made it that far and thought i would be given a fair chance to win the seats myself.At this point Joy interrupted me and asked me why I felt that I was not given a chance to win the tournament, given that with four hands left the announcement was made that we would be ending the tournament on Shannon's next button. I responded because that meant it was basically mathematically impossible for me to win, given that they had me covered. Joy corrected me and correctly pointed out that on the first hand, Shannon went all-in against the black-shirt guy and it was that hand which propelled her into the chip lead. I said yes, however there is still the issue of the collusion between her and Steve (or if you prefer, Shannon and Annie, with Steve being the one who actually physically handled the cards and chips). I also felt that you can't change the rules of the tournament with four hands to go.At this point she asked me, straight up, "Okay, what is it you want me to do?"I responded, that I would be very happy to drop the issue entirely and go out of my way to say good things about the tournament and promote it as a success if I get the same thing they got, which is a WSOP seat. I think that's fair because I had basically the same number of chips as steve dannenmann and wasn't far behind Shannon either, so I had a very good chance of winning this seat. I said if we can do that, then i think all is forgiven, and you guys come out looking very good and the event comes out looking like a total success . I enjoyed the tournament a lot and I'm glad that some money was raised for charity, and I'd like that to be my memory of the tournament.She said she had to take care of some things over the next two days but would call me in two days.I think Joy showed a lot of sincerity in our conversation, I believe that she will take it to the people she has to take it to and discuss it in good faith. So I do have some hope they will do the right thing. Hopefully this works out well, and I'll reserve further judgment until I hear back from her on Wednesday.

At this point asking for another ME buy in is taking a lot of money away from charity. That's lame.
Actually, in the context, a main event buyin is pretty appropriate. The buyin for this event was $1500, and there were 25 tables, so I assume approx 250 players. The total prizes look like they add up to approx 30k (2k for the TV, 4k for the US Open Package, and 24k for the ME seats + hotel, etc), so what he is asking for is an addition of approx 6-8k from the pool to cover the total hosing that he got, which is coming from a 375k pool of donations.
he should have said something at the time.At this point asking for another ME buy in is taking a lot of money away from charity. That's lame. Had he spoken up at the time and not sat there like an idiot, he could have found a fair solution. If he's going to get the buy in, every person who spent money at the event should agree, as whatthey thought they were donating is now going to some puss's ME buy in
You are a tool. Hey, it's fun calling people you don't know names!The TD and all the staff were directly behind the dealer watching all of this go down. I was standing behind Terrence and said something to the effect of one player to a hand twice and was ignored. The TD saw what was happening and chose not to do anything. Terrence was trying to figure out what was going on.Adam.
Let's say that you were in the same situation as AD. You see a friend of yours who is maybe going to make it to the WSOP main event. He is a poker player so he obviously like to play and you notice that because the TD said the tourney was going to finish in X amount of hands that if he folds he will make it. Now knowing your friend likes to play poker and mixed with how drunk he is you see that he will probably still play and most likely finish in 3rd. So you kindly tell him that hey you should fold every hand to make sure you make it to the WSOP and don't worry anymore about this tourney. He says yeah that's a great idea and you are stoked that your friend has now made it to the WSOP.I don't know about you but in a charity tourney with that on the line I might have done the same thing as AD.Just Sayin...
First off, it's Steve Dannenman, I'm pretty sure he can afford it himself.Second, just because it's a nice thing to do doesn't make it any less against the rules.

This is one of my favorite blogs to read, and Terrance is hardly being unreasonable. I really hope the organizers do the right thing and give him a WSOP seat.

It seems fairly obvious that Terrence Chan was wronged but you're always going to be walking into a minefield when you complain about something that happened at a charity event. Having said that would it really have been that hard for the other players to have showed some class especially as it was a charity event? If I was Terrence I don't think I would accept my buy in back as that doesn't seem right and I can see why posting a blog upset whoever was running the tourny before the matter was resolved but he has ended up with the poop end of the stick. I think I would have been more inclinded to take it up with the players involved.

Joy Miller is really conducting herself in a professional manner on this matter, LOL.Another Joy Miller story posted by dlk9s at 2+2:" Wow. Wow.I just read Joy's posts and it's amazing that someone acting in such an official role would act the way she did, complete with foul language.But then I saw her picture and I remembered who she was.This woman was one of the official WSOP photographers in 2006. She was by far the most abrasive, power-trippy, belligerent person at the Rio. If any of you read reports from various media personnel about how the non-CardPlayer and non-Bluff media were treated at the WSOP, you'll remember lots of reports that they were treated like crap. Joy was arguably offender number one.Sparing every gruesome detail, she constantly did whatever she could to prevent the "red badge" media from doing anything, no matter how unobtrusive or respectful we were being. I spoke with a well-liked WSOP photographer (this wasn't his first WSOP - he had been very helpful to me the year before) about her at one point and he thought it was funny that I brought her up. He didn't like working with her, either.Joy did a great job ruining what should have been a fantastic experience for me. If she wasn't biting a photographer/reporter's head off for taking a legal picture from a permitted location, she was ratting him out to WSOP officials. The sad part is, out of the media who was always around last year, I was probably the least aggressive and most respectful to the other media members. And I still got run over by Joy's tornado of antagonism. The one bit of satisfaction I got was when she tried to kick me out of an area where I was allowed to be. I told her that Gary Thompson (a WSOP big-wig) personally told me I could be there (he did). She didn't bother me after that, as much as it killed her.I was never going to mention her, as what's done is done, but when I saw her name and then her picture, combined with reading her vile responses to Mr. Chan, I couldn't help but relate some of my feelings."

The development just took an ugly turnhttp://terrencechan.livejournal.com/164489.html
Welcome to the Great Internet Social Skills Gap.This kind of cracks me up. The Internet has given EVERYONE a voice - sometimes a very loud voice - generally an amazing wonderful thing. It can level so many playing fields. However it is also having a bit of a negative effect by eroding basic skills of social interaction and interpersonal conduct. This guy has a Blog and presents his version of a story to the World. THEN he interacts directly with one of the principals involved in the tale. Instead of interacting directly and immediately with the representative from this charity (THIS IS A CHARITY!!!) he is out there blabbing his side of the story to anyone with Internet access. Nice.Now, I am a geezer, and still play by the "old school" rules of social interaction. I feel like this is a classic example of someone without the necessary Social Skills to resolve a conflict because the Internet culture has eliminated so many aspects of personal responsibility and interaction. A voice without a sense of responsibility is a terrible thing. The same Culture has given us snotty little Trolls who post things that would normally get them a poke in the snout. On the 'Net they have a voice without having to "back up" their actions. Not always a good thing (imho)Let's simplify the situation: you have a disagreement with your significant other. Do you go and bad mouth her to all of your friends before trying to resolve the situation?
First off, it's Steve Dannenman, I'm pretty sure he can afford it himself.Second, just because it's a nice thing to do doesn't make it any less against the rules.
That is the seconed response that has said because it is Danneman and he can afford the event that it is wrong.The point of my post was to not see it as Danneman and AD but to see it as two people. Would you be as angry if it had been two unknowns? Let's remember that first and foremost this was a charity event. That to me is the most important thing. You put your money in the pool for charity. If you win a buy in to the ME then that is a bonus. It just sounds like the TD is the one who screwed it all up but it was his call to make.
A quick recap of the principal elements: 1) disorganized tournament2) inept officials3) ballbusting charity rep4) blithering drunk5) crafty cheater6) crafty cheater7) ineffectual whinerLooks like everybody in this entire story sucks.
FMP
someone post a pic of this Joy Miller so i can spit in her face this coming August. i'm dead serious, i want to spit in this bi.tches face
Frankly, this makes you sound about as classy as she sounds.

"I remember once I was playing at the Mirage and there was this guy ruthlessly hitting on me and I was trying to be nice about it. I wasn’t interested. He ended up screaming at the top of his lungs in the middle of the Mirage poker room that I was an f-ing, frigid b*tch. He got barred, actually. But stuff like that happened to me all of the time. When you're sitting in a poker room a lot of the social niceties that are kept in the world just aren't, in the poker room."http://www.pokermagazine.com/Poker-Tournam..._interview.html

"I remember once I was playing at the Mirage and there was this guy ruthlessly hitting on me and I was trying to be nice about it. I wasn’t interested. He ended up screaming at the top of his lungs in the middle of the Mirage poker room that I was an f-ing, frigid b*tch. He got barred, actually. But stuff like that happened to me all of the time. When you're sitting in a poker room a lot of the social niceties that are kept in the world just aren't, in the poker room."http://www.pokermagazine.com/Poker-Tournam..._interview.html
How far do you have to fall on the sexual food chain to EVER hit on Anne Duke? Over forty, loads of kids, bad dresser, and raggedy Ann type hair. Now thats attractive. I think the bottom line is that people in Hollywood are self serving egotistical idiots. How can they justify raising money for PETA when there is so much human inequity right in their little Universe. She only organized the event, in all likelihood, because she is climbing some type of industry ladder to what ever goal she has just like all the other celebrities who were there. I think one of the odder details in this torrid little tail is that Anne Duke is living with Shannen Elizabeth's Ex-husband. I guess since they have had the same penis in various parts of their respective anatomies its O.K. to cheat somebody out of something they should both easily afford. The worst part of celebrities, from my humble perspective, is the overwhelming feeling of entitlement they all share; even the most minor ones like the event organizer.