Just Taking That Plunge

Dont get me wrong, I wish him good luck, just have seen so many threads similar to this and they usually have bad results..
True enough, but there's also the occasional thread where everything falls into place nicely for the original poster.
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no way for me to know if my play can hold unless i give it a shot. I'm gonna play some Hundo SNG's tonight and see if i'm feeling just as pumped tomorrow. For those that gave a solid opinion THANK YOU. I will certainly post any/all results if significant one way or the other.

Ouch, I saw the last hand. Good luck in the next one!

Yeah, i expected that runner runner. Just got to get over the hump. I'm going in another now.
I won't be able to rail this one, so good luck!
So i take it you guys haven't tried to do it.
I have. I survived. Life moved on. Well... I had enough money as to where if I had lost I wouldn't of had to flip burgers at Larry's Lard Hut for a living. So I guess my taking a shot was technically within a br. I just wasn't running a seperate one at the time...I started playing 10/20 two weeks after I played my first hand. I haven't went broke and I built up my playing BR from that initial buy in. I'll tell you what though. If you can manage to afford learning the game at the medium-higher levels you will be better off in the long run. You won't pick up any bad habits that you would get from the donkfests that are the lower stakes. You will get a good understanding of the more advanced plays right from the start. There is nothing too special about 10/20 and 25/50. Just take your time and think things through. Don't jump to rash impulse decisions. Just remember that unlike the lower games there are fewer bad players. There maybe only one or two at the table. Watch the players, see who is good and see who is weak. You will have to play them each differently. Unlike the lower stakes you won't do that good if you just play straight ABC poker. I'd just pretty much stay out of the way of the good players unless you have it and stick to beating up any weak players at the table while you build up your roll. If at any point you get flustered or things just don't feel like they are going right. Get up. Take a break. Change tables. No point in dumping off a large portion of your roll because of tilting. Do that at a lower level with the donks. Anyhoo... Good Luck. Even if you lose, look at it as an investment. You will have learned something and it will just be a matter of time before you will be able to play at that level all the time. ETA:
There's no way for me to know if my play can hold unless i give it a shot.
I felt the same way. After I took my shot, I walked away feeling quite confident that I could beat the players. Even if you lose this time you still should know if you can hold your own or not.

I had a decent score in a tourney and had built my roll up to a significant amount and decided to take a shot at a bigger cash game. I bought in for 1k and played fairly well, but was still hovering around my buy-in. I got in a hand with the table LAG where I flopped 2 pair and ended up getting it all-in on the turn with him. Well, he flopped the higher 2 pair and stacked me for 1.1k.I was kinda bummed at the fact that I stuck it all-in with 2 pair, but I said fck it and rebought. Thank god Rizen sat down, cause that guy gave it all back to me. After getting nearly all my 1k back from Rizen, I got the hell outta there and haven't been back. Some day I will, but risking 1k per hand just isn't my idea of a good time right now.Good luck to you man, I hope you do well and have fun along the way.

Do it man, just make sure that when you dominate that level you dont just jump into the 4000 8000 big game. I hear the guys their are pretty good.

Now in the money in my 2nd $100 SNG. I like the higher level better for sure. I think i play better.
Hey, do you have a subscription to Sharkscope? Especially at the $100 SNG level, I'd def. recommend it, if only for the 'tournament selector' feature.Really increases your edge, in that it identifies the softer games for you. And, it's all about gaining any extra edge possible, right? So yeah.. that's all I have in the way of advice.gl.

First off, do we know what you were beating the .25-.50 game for per 100bb? The competition gets tougher each level. The players at 10-20 and 25-50 thrive on players like you who have no experience in the game. Just as the regular 200-400 players thrive on the 10-20 players taking shots. Taking shots should be "i have 15-20 buy ins for the next level up, im going to play a few hands and see how it goes".

I've been playing the low levels up to the 1/2 for two years. I'M SICK OF IT.I can't take it anymore. It's just not exciting. I think i'm done for the night. But tomorrow i'm gonna have a go at least at the 10/20.Thanks for all the support guys.

I won 20k in Dec of 2005. I thought i was gonna TPMM in no time. I jumped from 3-6 limit to 15-30 and 20-40 limit. I ran well for about a month and then got my *** kicked for 6 months. I now grind 1-2NL for a solid win rate and hope to move up to 2-4NL soon. I nearly went broke (down to 1k broll) in that six month period. Im not proud of it, but it happened. Im a much better player for it. If you want to be a 25-50NL player then play 50k hands a month and move up as your bankroll allows. If your beating the games for 5ptbb/100 it wont take you long to achieve your goal. Then your ready.If youve been playing 1-2 for two years then your obviously not beating the game by very much, otherwise you would have moved up by now. Im sorry to break the news but you arent good enough.

I normally play 2-5 NL, took a shot at a 10/20 (this is all live) a few times when i was up in the 2/5 game, won 5200 one time, the other time I was not as succesful, lol, lost like 4k. But man, it sure was fun. give it a shot as long as you arent losing rent money man.

Got stacked twice at 10/20 and lost about 6 $100 SNG's. Only placed 3rd once. Every gut shot straight draw hit on me, and i never won with a set or flush. Gonna wait a day and give it another go.Funny thing was i was not giving odds to draw and yet they still drew. I understand that level much better now, they definitely try and get cute with their draws. I won a lot of small ball pots but lost every big pot.That's the update. Thanks for the support.

I got nothing...gl though. I'm lightyears away from attempting larger stake games. I had .85 cents about a month ago and thru br management, reading the forum...its around 200 dollars. Sick run on UB MTT's never hurts either. Living on the edge would be playing a .25/.50 nlhe 10 seat ring game and i'm not feeling that frisky. lol GL!