Just Taking That Plunge

Anyone here ever just load up their account more then usual and go for a big game run?I usually play .50/1 cash or 1/2. But i got some dough and i want to just jump in a 10/20 or 25/50.Have any of you ever just jumped stakes like that? If so, what was your experience.I am nervous, but I think i'd play a little better with the added pressure. I just can't get excited at the low levels any more.Like maybe instead of $10 SNG's play a bunch of $100 SNG'S. Stuff like that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

why so big a jump? at least you can go to maybe 3/6 or 5/10

Here's what you do. Transfer half of what you are going to play with to me, then when you go broke let me know and I will transfer half of it back. This way you will still have money to play with after you go broke and you can rebuild your roll!

Here's what you do. Transfer half of what you are going to play with to me, then when you go broke let me know and I will transfer half of it back. This way you will still have money to play with after you go broke and you can rebuild your roll!
Grinding/Playing at those low levels for so long is boring now.Not much support from you guys. If i score i'll let you know. Playing a hundo SNG now at FT.
I don't know why so big of a jump either. If 3/6 or 4/8 doesn't get your blood pumping, then the problem seems pretty obvious.Definitely post if you do it though, that would be a blast to watch.

and give me one bb if you wanta "play" 25/50. Damn that's like a quarter of my roll you wouldn't regret it :club: I'm just moving to 7 dollar sng's I would like the cushion.

Why make the jump so big? It's a really bad idea. Why not take a shot at 3/6 whicjh is plenty increase from 1/2 to get your excitement up. At 10/20 you will get killed. Or play $30 sng, the payouts are really nice, no need to jump to the $100 where much better players are.PLEASE DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TRY 25/50. At least not without following quadaces advice...Best of LUCK!

I did last night. Primarly play 50NL (.25/.50) or 100NL (.50/1), decided to move up to 200NL and then 400NL.I wish I didn't move up. Mainly did it to chase my losses. Worst loss I have ever had playing poker:WARNING: The following link contains bad beats and coolers. Read at your own will: http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...showtopic=97707Also, can you afford to lose a couple of thousand dollars if you lose in the game?If you want to move up, don't make the huge jump. Just double your limits.

I have taken shots from 5-10 10-20 NL, just know what your up against, and dont necessarily play "the best" if the moneys not a concern play "your game" thats what I did and it worked out well.Last time I did it baught in for 1k at party, my whole party account turned it into 4300 in 6 hours... these guys are scared money. If you think you can do it honestly then give it a shot, whats 1k-3k in the scheme of things. It really is kind of sad that every " I'm gonna take a shot thread" gets shot down. Seriously, you really dont care about the posters life or well being or know anything about his skill. Just say GL and give some useful advice if you have any, If not close thread and move on, dont say transfer me half and such.

Why does everyone always think you're gonna just get AUTO FELTED?
I take back what I said.Hop in 25/50 and let us know your sn, I need to see this.

I'm with you Fox, i'm not scurred to lose a couple of buy in's if that's how it goes. Just try it again later. But if my style holds up, or my hands hold up and i can take down some pots and have some fun, it's like FINALLY this is what it's like to win in poker. I'm just so done with the low limits. Over all i think i'm a winning player. I'm just itching to go for it.

Ok. here is my past experience.when i played 1/2NL online, i took a few shots at 3/6, then i once sat at a 5-10Nl, and lost a few hundred, but i've also sat once at a 10-25NL 2500max played 1 rotation, 1 hand, won 600 off the hand then left

I say go for it. There's nothing wrong with taking a shot. Well, except that if you run good and make a few buyins, you'll never ever be able to move down in limits and still maintain focus.

I'm with you Fox, i'm not scurred to lose a couple of buy in's if that's how it goes. Just try it again later. But if my style holds up, or my hands hold up and i can take down some pots and have some fun, it's like FINALLY this is what it's like to win in poker. I'm just so done with the low limits. Over all i think i'm a winning player. I'm just itching to go for it.
Please read my link. As you said, you need to have your hands hold up. It's very bad when you move up in limits, and the odds catch up against you. If you get Aces vs Kings pre-flop, you are going to lose that pot about 18% of the time. It's going to sting a lot more playing at higher limits you have not played at before than your normal limits.
I say go for it. There's nothing wrong with taking a shot. Well, except that if you run good and make a few buyins, you'll never ever be able to move down in limits and still maintain focus.
True :club:

Good luck, boxingcritic, I'm railing ya on FTP!*** EDIT ***Instead of everyone flaming him, just wish him luck, rail him and see what happens.

Good luck, boxingcritic, I'm railing ya on FTP!*** EDIT ***Instead of everyone flaming him, just wish him luck, rail him and see what happens.
Dont get me wrong, I wish him good luck, just have seen so many threads similar to this and they usually have bad results..

i was playing at canterbury park for some 3-6 action. i went on a very good run for about 4-5 hours and was up to 600 bucks. my ride was about to leave so i decided i wanted to play some 15-30. so i sit down and play for about 45 minutes before leaving wityh only 150. you know you are playing too high of a limit when you rake in one normal sized pot and stack it up and think "damn thats a lot of money"

Every good poker player knows the whole idea is to get your money in good. If you play on a very short roll for the stakes then simple math dictates that the chance that you're going to go broke will be higher, factor that in with playing against better players and the odds that you're gonna go broke goes over 50%...how far over I can't say because I don't know your skill level, but I'd put MY money against you surviving.So if you wanna gamble against the house and are ok with losing then go for it, just know what you're doing.