My behavior at the WSOP,

Well, here i am again, i should have a auto reply to this question... I have had people call me shit i have never been called in my life. Anyone that knows me, knows the kind of person i am, and they know what kind of competitor i am. The root of my behavior at the WSOP is from my love for competing. So why act like an ass??? well... i must say that i fell victim to "well someone has to be the villian" im not saying that i didnt do things that were "unsportsmanlike", im saying that i gave them more material than anyone else..... I have competed at a high level my whole life... in sports, poker, and pool mainly..... and i have learned along the way that all of these games are very mental.... the person that holds the mental edge over thier opponent has a very decisive advantage...... I love seeing the inner part part of all competition.... i think one of the most interesting things in sports is the small mental jabs that top players throw at each other letting the other one know that he is better than the other.... Jordan is a great example of this... no, im not saying i am anywhere in jordans neighborhood in level of competitor, but i am saying that i want those little edges that jordan was able to get over his opponent..... i want my opponent to know how confident i am and i want my opponents to know that i dont fear them a bit.... maybe this is too extreme for poker... but honestly, i dont think my play is nearly as good as other top players, but i think my experience in competition and the mentality i bring to the table level the playing field a little with the upper echelon of opponents.... Now i hope people understand my "soldierlike" mentality when i am competing for these large life changing stakes... i am open to all questions, publicly and privately..... GL and happy new year to everyone!!!JA

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at first I thought you were an ******* from watching ESPN, but through Daniel and what hes said about you, Ive changed my mind. You seem to be a lot better guy than people give you credit for. Hopefully, this new year your image will change. Happy New Years!

I understand as another competitive person... also playing for 5 million can sometimes add a little more pressure and persuade the way the you act. Some people choose not to understand this. Personally thought you were a little overboard, but i understand it and did my best to look past it because you played well. Congrats on 3rd.. tough field to make it through.

preessh patman, its hard getting my message across in text. People get a much better understanding on how i am when they see my emotion and love for poker and poker competition.... ok boys... time to play santa!!!! gotta run..... hope to see you at teh tabless.... oh p.s.... guys.. i need trent green and kerry collins to go off big tomorrow..... i am in something daniel only WISHES he could be in.... TWO fantasy football league championship games!!!!! while daniel is winning his millions.. i am rackin up my millions 3k at a time :D

Listen Josh I don't think you are a jerk in much the same way I don't think Hellmuth is a jerk. I can relate to the fire both of you have. Hell it ain't worth doing if it doesn't get the blood up. But anyways I've got a question for you and maybe Daniel may have some input as well. I hate my job. I love poker. I make alot of dough and every day I fantasize about quitting and making a go at it (poker that is). My problem is how do I rationalize leaving my salary, my benefits, and my retirement. Also as a poker pro what do you do about health insurance, saving for retirement, etc. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

There are alot of people who seem to come off as bad people on WSOP, so I try not to take it seriously, it's easy to understand how you could get caught up in the competiton. It's very good of you to be able to publicly apoligize for your actions.

wow, thats a tough one, well, insurance wise, you just contact a local agent... my wife is looking into some insurance for the family right now called "the golden rule", i know nothing about it, and dont even know if thats the company name... thats just what i remember.... as far as retirement, you can put away "X" amount of dollars per year tax free into a SEP IRA, thats what i have done for 5 years now since poker has been my only source of income...... as far as leaving a good paying job... well???? ill tell ya this.... when i was 23 i was making 60k a year strolling into work about 9:30am and driving packages around town til or a few hours... i would be at the gym shooting hoop no later than 4:30 everyday...... money aint everything man.... you only live once and sht, so what if you screw up and dont make..... just knowing that you gave yourself a chance and took that shot is worth it...... you can always fall back on what you do now and go back to your unhappy 9-5er..... good luck with your decision JA

ROTH IRA's are always something good to look into, sound the exact same as the SEP IRA's... The only difference i see is ROTH IRA's they tax right away and when you take it out its tax-free. So between the SEP and ROTH IRA's, if the SEP Is taxed at the end, Take the ROTH No question You'll save yourself....a LOT of money taxing it upfront. I still play poker as a very small amount of income, just a college kid non the less but I do put as much of my winnings as I can into my ROTH IRA, after my toys and clothes are bought :D

Call me crazy but I can relate to what Josh is talking about when you are in a serious competition. Getting into the heads of players whether they acknowledge it or not is something that really can't be measured in stats but it definately has an effect on the bottom line. I'll admit I'm a big MJ fan and he could def. talk it up with the best of them on the court but he is such a gentleman in person if you ever have the privilage of meeting him. congrats to Josh for making it as far as the final table this year. On a related question, what is the general consesus (sp) about the Main Event among professional players. I would think that most true professionals would begin to shift their focus outside of the main event this year (to things like the POY) and other events during the WSOP with the enormous amount of entries that we are sure to see for years to come. Keep on rocking Josh and merry christmas everyone,JMHeelbtw....has anyone here (maybe Daniel or Josh) ever played Poker with MJ before???? I hear he favors Atlantic City and is quite a player.

Actually, these guys wouldn't be able to take advantage of Roth IRAs, since they have too much earned income. Also, the last place they'd want to establish a retirement plan is at a bank... particularly since they're so young...

You gotta be under a certain income to start a ROTH IRA? I never woulda guessed.... Well I happen to be young enough, and yes... the stock market is where the rest of it goes NYIsles... But the ROTH is a VERY nice opportunity that I took advantage of.

Josh,it's clear you acted disrespectfully and without without class at the WSOP plain and simple. I don't know you, but I think you are probably a great guy who just acted out of line. We all are human. If you re-read your post you may notice you didn't apologise for anything, but you rationalized and made a couple of excuses. So maybe you don't really think you were out of line at all, but just being competitive. Well, there is a difference. I hope you know it or learn it soon because it will cost you dearly in the long run. It is a sign of being unsure that you really deserve to win. Matasow is the classic example-a good guy who's personality flaws trip him up. So, I would suggest, (I'm a hypnotherapist) that you focus on some personal growth and be a little gentler with yourself like Daniel is and accept winning the big tournaments into your life or else you will sabatoge yourself when the pressure gets too hot. Until then, you are going to play tournaments with a target on your forehead as a guy who can be thrown off his game by a few choice words or an unorthodox play or two. Good luck and all the best,Joe

You gotta be young to start a ROTH IRA? I never woulda guessed.... Well I happen to be young enough, and yes... the stock market is where the rest of it goes NYIsles... But the ROTH is a VERY nice opportunity that I took advantage of.lol... I didn't say you have to be YOUNG to start a Roth IRA, you just have to have below a certain level of earned income to be able to contribute to one. As far as the young thing goes, what I meant was that bank investments are generally too conservative for those with a long term investment horizon...Sorry for the confusion, if there was any!

Yeahhhhh I saw that and Edited my post! Lol so now you look like you changing my words around! Lol read my post again, I'd like a response, I didnt know you had to be below a certain income. What if I already have it started? Can I continue to cap the amount I put in regardless of earned income?

Of course they showed him like that. Conflict is excellent television, so instead of ESPN showing him calm, cool, and collected for 95% of the day, they show that 5%. They showed Mattias(sp?) Anderson every time he won yelling "JAHHHHH!!!" because it is good TV. That's all.On a side note, Josh, how many people have you given lessons to so far? Hope to see you at some more final tables.

In short, if you've already established/contributed to a Roth IRA during a year in which you were eligible to do so, those amounts (and the growth thereon) can stay within the Roth IRA structure. You just wouldn't be able to make additional contributions during years in which you've earned too much (currently $110K if single, phaseout begins at $95K, and $160K if married filing jointly, phaseout begins at $150K).Having said that, new legislation may end up getting rid of these income limits. We'll have to see what happens...

Josh,it's clear you acted disrespectfully and without without class at the WSOP plain and simple. I don't know you, but I think you are probably a great guy who just acted out of line. We all are human.      If you re-read your post you may notice you didn't apologise for anything, but you rationalized and made a couple of excuses. So maybe you don't really think you were out of line at all, but just being competitive. Well, there is a difference. I hope you know it or learn it soon because it will cost you dearly in the long run. It is a sign of being unsure that you really deserve to win. Matasow is the classic example-a good guy who's personality flaws trip him up. So, I would suggest, (I'm a hypnotherapist) that you focus on some personal growth and be a little gentler with yourself like Daniel is and accept winning the big tournaments into your life or else you will sabatoge yourself when the pressure gets too hot. Until then, you are going to play tournaments with a target on your forehead as a guy who can be thrown off his game by a few choice words or an unorthodox play or two.  Good luck and all the best,Joe
Come on people.... To say he acted like a jerk at the WSOP is a little bit broad. You saw about 3 minutes worth of tape. The tournament lasts days... and trust me, If he did more that was worth the airtime, you would have seen it. I'm sure 99% of the time, he was acting just fine.... and is everyone telling me that they don't go play basketball with soem buddies and talk smack the whole time, and then after the game go out and have a good time? It's a battle, no matter who they are, friends or not.... it's a lot of money, and if you want to be the best, you have to believe that you are. Sometimes you open your mouth and let everyone else know your mindset and it comes off bad... but oh well...If you don't think you're the best... how can you win the biggest tournament there is? We all know we're not actually the best at what we do... but it doesn't stop us from walking with the swagger that we are anyway. So give Josh a break.

Hey Josh,You really should be really greatful to Daniel for sticking his neck out for you when you needed someone to stick up for you. I for one would never believed you are really a good person just from a few apoligies. Only after he came out and said you were a good person did I start to give you a chance again.You've got a good friend there and I hope realize how hard that is to find.

What amazes me about this whole sorry and rather pitiful saga is the disgraceful behaviour and downright vindictiveness of a lot of people who in my mind should know better. Most probably the hatred is driven by jealousy but I for one am not going to even try and understand why people would want to act so pathetically.At the recent Bellagio series of tournaments I couldn't help notice how bad mannered a lot of people were towards Josh forever bad mouthing him and for what? A few choice edited clips from the ESPN television coverage of this years WSOP.If I wanted to go up to him and castigate him for his behaviour then I feel that I am entitled to do so but that others are not. I'm supposed to be the agrieved party in all this but it really has been blown out of all proportion. Poker is just a game but we all get worked up and excited when the turn of a card can determine whether you get back millions or are dispatched to the rail.I have absolutely no problem with Josh and wish him well but I have absolutely nothing but contempt for those that go around wishing nothing but bad fortune and ill health on both him and his family. Alas this is a sad indictment of the kinds of personalities that prevail in modern day times where people tend to act and speak first before thinking and I certainly have no time for them.However all is not doom and gloom because there have been literally hundreds of people who have come up to me since the incident wanting to shake my hand, get my autograph and have their picture taken with me. It is reassuring to know, however, that of these people the overwhelming majority were decent human beings which to some extent restores my faith in human nature. Looking forward to busting Josh E-dog and Daniel in future tournaments;-)Enjoy the festive season everyone...and may Lady Luck smile on you all (and particularly on the river).