Buffalo Vs New York

SabreFreek "This Is The Year....FINALLY!" Buffalo, NY • United States • Enough About NY's Last 25 GamesPosted 8:27 AM ET Blah. Blah. Blah. So I'm going to get myself in trouble with a lot of other Sabre fans for doing this, but...I've heard enough about how "great" the Rangers are after playing "playoff" hockey over their last 25 games to get into the playoffs. Let's look at those 25 games (only W/L regardless of OT points):(N= non-playoff team, Y=playoff team)Feb15 W @ CAR - N17 L vs PHL - N18 W vs CHI - N20 L @ NJ - Y22 L vs NJ - Y24 L vs CLS - N27 W vs MTL - N(6 games: 0-2 against playoff teams and 3-1 against non-playoff teams)Mar1 L vs PIT - Y3 W vs STL - N5 W vs NYI - Y8 W @ NYI - Y10 L @ PIT - Y11 W vs CAR - N13 L vs OTT - Y16 L @ ATL - Y17 W vs BOS - N19 W vs PIT - Y21 W vs PHL - N24 W @ BOS - N25 W @ NYI - Y27 L @ MTL - N31 W @ PHL - N(21 games: 4-6 vs playoff teams and 9-2 vs non-playoff teams)Apr 1 W vs TOR - N3 L @ NYI - Y5 W vs MTL - N7 L @ PIT - Y(25 games: 4-8 vs playoff teams and 11-2 vs non-playoff teams)For those of you doing the math at home, that's a losing record against playoff teams. In fact, 3 of their 4 wins against playoff teams were against the NY Islanders. So they were 1-7 against playoff teams if we exclude the Islanders. I understand the Rangers don't have control over the teams placed on their schedule, but just because they're from NY the media hype that's been building about them has just been ridiculous.This post isn't about comparing the Rangers to the Sabres. I fully expect the remaining games of this series will be a lot closer than game 1. I'm also not coronating the Sabres as Cup champs after one game (even though Ranger fans were doing just that for their team after one series). All I'm saying is the Rangers playoff run has been a lot of smoke and mirrors.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SabreFreek "This Is The Year....FINALLY!" Buffalo, NY • United States • Enough About NY's Last 25 GamesPosted 8:27 AM ET Blah. Blah. Blah. So I'm going to get myself in trouble with a lot of other Sabre fans for doing this, but...I've heard enough about how "great" the Rangers are after playing "playoff" hockey over their last 25 games to get into the playoffs. Let's look at those 25 games (only W/L regardless of OT points):(N= non-playoff team, Y=playoff team)Feb15 W @ CAR - N17 L vs PHL - N18 W vs CHI - N20 L @ NJ - Y22 L vs NJ - Y24 L vs CLS - N27 W vs MTL - N(6 games: 0-2 against playoff teams and 3-1 against non-playoff teams)Mar1 L vs PIT - Y3 W vs STL - N5 W vs NYI - Y8 W @ NYI - Y10 L @ PIT - Y11 W vs CAR - N13 L vs OTT - Y16 L @ ATL - Y17 W vs BOS - N19 W vs PIT - Y21 W vs PHL - N24 W @ BOS - N25 W @ NYI - Y27 L @ MTL - N31 W @ PHL - N(21 games: 4-6 vs playoff teams and 9-2 vs non-playoff teams)Apr 1 W vs TOR - N3 L @ NYI - Y5 W vs MTL - N7 L @ PIT - Y(25 games: 4-8 vs playoff teams and 11-2 vs non-playoff teams)For those of you doing the math at home, that's a losing record against playoff teams. In fact, 3 of their 4 wins against playoff teams were against the NY Islanders. So they were 1-7 against playoff teams if we exclude the Islanders. I understand the Rangers don't have control over the teams placed on their schedule, but just because they're from NY the media hype that's been building about them has just been ridiculous.This post isn't about comparing the Rangers to the Sabres. I fully expect the remaining games of this series will be a lot closer than game 1. I'm also not coronating the Sabres as Cup champs after one game (even though Ranger fans were doing just that for their team after one series). All I'm saying is the Rangers playoff run has been a lot of smoke and mirrors.
You were not getting any coronation of the Rangers from me. I fully expect and still do believe the Rangers have a legitimate chance to win this series but have never said that were the favorites. I live in the NYC area and deal with the NY media every day. Yes they are excited about the playoffs but I have not heard anyone say they are the favorites in this series. In the 8 losses against playoff teams mentioned, not 1 was by more than 1 goal, 3 were in OT and 2 others were in a shootout. Of the non-playoff wins, 5 were against teams that were ahead or close to the Rangers in the standings (Carolina, Montreal and Toronto) including 2 very convincing wins against the beloved leafs and habs in the final week. I know this forum is heavily rooting for the Sabres but now I am starting to believe that some of you see the Rangers as the anti-christ. Maybe that is a little exageration. But I am also venting here.

Let's GO RANGERS!!!I really hope that Jagr isn't injured seriously, since he's 100% the backbone of our team. The Rangers have been playing much better in this game than in the last one, and if they keep up this level of play with very strong and tight defense and if they are able to capitalize on their offensive opportunities, they could have a shot in the series. Either way, though, it's pretty objective that they're a very entertaining team to watch and this should prove to be a good series. Buffalo's goal tending has been pretty fantastic tonight, I must say, and they've put on a show with some of their offensive moves. There's no doubt that they're an unbelievable team that, when they really want, are able to totally dominate the rink, set the pace for the game, and fully control the other team. As long as the Rangers keep up their strong defense and prevent Buffalo from doing this and dominating play (as I believe they did in the first game) then we should be okay.The New York Rangers doing well is great for the league and hockey in general. They are a very marketable team with a strong fan base and a good image to present to the public. I bet that those who make money from the NHL directly through advertising or what not as well as those who generally want to see hockey grow and rooting on some level for the Rangers.

Great game so far. Malik has always had a tendency to pull some brain farts.
Very nice pass by Stafford to Vanek 3-2 SabresNow off to the powerplay.

It's an excellent game. Wish i could enjoy it. Rangers should still be up a goal but bleeping Malik and a very curious time to double shift 4th line. What a bogus call on Cullen but then he got away with one a couole of minutes later

Yeah, that was WAY offside.I don't know how many of you were watching on the TSN feed, but I LOVE Gord Miller.Oh, and the too many men missed call... Awful officiating, as usual for the playoffs.

The is the maddest I have even seen a coach after winning to go up 2-0 in a series. You would think one of his players got cheat shot at the end of the game.

I :club: Lindy Ruff too.Honestly, it's about time someone got mad like that. I really think a coach needs to pull the old 'throw all the backup sticks and water bottles on the ice' tirade. It's been a while.

Vanek sucks! Great move by not taking him in the pool Serge. :club:
Vaneck might end up being one of the league's top 5 scorers in the next few years, his on-ice vision, stickhandling and finishing is absolutely sick. He had one play tonight where he literally danced through three Rangers and then fired a shot that glanced off the crossbar up into the crowd.Also the goal he scored, if you watch the replay, was a direct result of his incredible setup about 10 seconds earlier. He was trapped to Lundqvists' right with two Rangers approaching him and had to offload the puck. The defenceman at the point directly above him, I believe it was Lydman, smacked his stick on the ice a couple of times to let him know he was open for the pass, but Vaneck somehow saw (in the split second he had) that Campbell was even more wide open at the point diagonal from him, and he made a beautiful pass onto Campbell's stick under pressure. With the Rangers drawn to the right side, it set up Campbell's shovelling the puck to Stafford and the shot that created the rebound Vaneck scored on. As impressed as I've been with Vaneck, I've been equally dissapointed with Afinogenov. One of my favourite palyers to watch during the regular season he's really struggling through the playoffs. I'm not sure if he's still not 100% after his injury, but he doesn't seem to be making smart decions (i.e. skating through his own crease with the puck, which it looked like Ruff blasted him for when he got back to the bench) and he's takign some dumb penalties (he's using his stick way too much on the ice, he loves to hack and hook people). Zubrus is looking like the best trade deadline pickup, the guy can score and he had NINE hits tonight, shutting Jagr down when they were matched up. With about six minutes to go he also had an amazing shift where he fought two, then three, Rangers off behind the Rangers net for about fifteen seconds in a scrum then came out with the puck. The guy's a beast. Drury deserves the title 'Captain Clutch'. I can't see how Buffalo can possibly resign Briere over him, especially given the fact that while Briere hasn't played poorly, he hasn't stood out either.The sickest part, however, is that Buffalo's 6-1 in the postseason so far and after everygame they've complained about how they're not playing their A game.

Wow, what a phenomenal game. My liver is still on the charger from last night but I had a great time. That goal Miller gave up from the point was pretty ugly, but he more than made up for it with strong play the rest of the way. I think the Rangers will steal one at home but Buffalo will close out the series at home in Game 5.*Edit* It's your fault. 2 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)2 Members: thewarhawk, ajs510

One thing I was extremely impressed with was Ruff's willingness to sit Afinogenov when it was obvious he had returned to his puck-hogging, ineffective ways. My friends and I were sitting around talking about the line changes that Ruff should make in the 3rd (Afinogenov to the 4th line, Staff to the 3rd, Kotalik to the Drury line), and lo and behold, every single change was made in the start of the 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Max gets the healthy scratch in Game 3 in favor of Paille, he's not playing Lindy's system and he needs to get back on the ball in a big hurry. Stafford 100% deserves to be on the Roy-Vanek line though, he makes his linemates better, whereas Max (at least lately) just ignores their presence altogether.

I've been equally dissapointed with Afinogenov. One of my favourite palyers to watch during the regular season he's really struggling through the playoffs. I'm not sure if he's still not 100% after his injury, but he doesn't seem to be making smart decions (i.e. skating through his own crease with the puck, which it looked like Ruff blasted him for when he got back to the bench) and he's takign some dumb penalties (he's using his stick way too much on the ice, he loves to hack and hook people). ruff but him on the 4th line after the 2nd. so I think he will stay there for along time if he dose not improve. he did that last year as well till he found out vanik and roy could play.
Vaneck might end up being one of the league's top 5 scorers in the next few years, his on-ice vision, stickhandling and finishing is absolutely sick. He had one play tonight where he literally danced through three Rangers and then fired a shot that glanced off the crossbar up into the crowd.Also the goal he scored, if you watch the replay, was a direct result of his incredible setup about 10 seconds earlier. He was trapped to Lundqvists' right with two Rangers approaching him and had to offload the puck. The defenceman at the point directly above him, I believe it was Lydman, smacked his stick on the ice a couple of times to let him know he was open for the pass, but Vaneck somehow saw (in the split second he had) that Campbell was even more wide open at the point diagonal from him, and he made a beautiful pass onto Campbell's stick under pressure. With the Rangers drawn to the right side, it set up Campbell's shovelling the puck to Stafford and the shot that created the rebound Vaneck scored on. As impressed as I've been with Vaneck, I've been equally dissapointed with Afinogenov. One of my favourite palyers to watch during the regular season he's really struggling through the playoffs. I'm not sure if he's still not 100% after his injury, but he doesn't seem to be making smart decions (i.e. skating through his own crease with the puck, which it looked like Ruff blasted him for when he got back to the bench) and he's takign some dumb penalties (he's using his stick way too much on the ice, he loves to hack and hook people). Zubrus is looking like the best trade deadline pickup, the guy can score and he had NINE hits tonight, shutting Jagr down when they were matched up. With about six minutes to go he also had an amazing shift where he fought two, then three, Rangers off behind the Rangers net for about fifteen seconds in a scrum then came out with the puck. The guy's a beast. Drury deserves the title 'Captain Clutch'. I can't see how Buffalo can possibly resign Briere over him, especially given the fact that while Briere hasn't played poorly, he hasn't stood out either.The sickest part, however, is that Buffalo's 6-1 in the postseason so far and after everygame they've complained about how they're not playing their A game.
Excellent post - I agree with every point you made.Especially about signing Drury over Briere - if the Sabres take Briere, I hope to God the Leafs pick up Drury.....but I won't hold my breath on that happening! :club: The more I see of Vanek and Zubrus the more I like them - at the time I thought that Zubrus might have been the best deadline pickup and his play seems to bear that out - he IS a beast! One problem for Buffalo - the Rangers were the better team for most of the last game.Going back to NY and having them feeding off the home crowd could make for some interesting games ahead.