Who Is Staking Gavin Smith?

I was listening to the radio show on Pokerwire Radio - and Sebok was speaking about having a staking deal "like gavin does" and the possibility of it drying up if he doesn't cash enough ..Who is staking gavin? .. he has won a WPT and was at the final table of another -- plus a second in a WSOP circuit event. Why does he need to be staked? .. Anyone on the inside?

I was listening to the radio show on Pokerwire Radio - and Sebok was speaking about having a staking deal "like gavin does" and the possibility of it drying up if he doesn't cash enough ..Who is staking gavin? .. he has won a WPT and was at the final table of another -- plus a second in a WSOP circuit event. Why does he need to be staked? .. Anyone on the inside?
A "staking deal" might be different than a "stake."
i thought he had a deal with lingdren at one point
That would be Edog, like PMJ said 3 posts back :club:
Who is staking gavin? .. he has won a WPT and was at the final table of another -- plus a second in a WSOP circuit event. Why does he need to be staked? ..
You are assuming he has any kind of money management skills. One of the biggest weaknesses of poker players, business men and politicians is the complete inablity to hand their won money. They can make it, build it and then piss it away...

I've always wondered if Gavin Smith had much money management skills when you consider his prop bets seem ridiculously large when in relation to his tournament winnings. i.e. bet with Allie Prescott, the $300k bet with Jeff Madsen at the HU Championship, doing random gambling things etc.

It's not uncommon for winning tournament players to get staked. It's not necessarily a bad deal for them either given the high variance in big buy-in tournaments. TJ Cloutier who is one of the all time winningest tournament players has a staking deal.

It's not uncommon for winning tournament players to get staked. It's not necessarily a bad deal for them either given the high variance in big buy-in tournaments. TJ Cloutier who is one of the all time winningest tournament players has a staking deal.
TJ has terrible money management leaks aka craps.

But i understood that TJ loses a ton of dough playing craps, which is why he needs to be staked .. Is that the case with Gavin, or does he do it to limit his downside (and if so, doesn't it also severly limit his upside) .. Also, how much would a player like Gavin get from Full Tilt? I know he wears the garb, but does he ever play on the site?thx for all the helpful replies

He and Seboks pop bets show is hilarious. He has lost EVERYONE of them. I loved to see him getting pounded by female kick boxer, hilarouse. He lost the WPT event in Los Angeles(the bet was who would last longer) so he had to tattoo Sebok's initials on his arse. Sebok had mercy and let him do it on his shoulder blade I think. The eating contest was surprising, you'd expect a big guy like Gavin could eat lots of tacos.

I remember reading Gavin's blog when he first started it and he talked about playing hi stakes craps or blackjack while on break during the final stages of a WSOP tourney. Total action junkie. Those guys are usually pretty broke no matter how much they win in tournaments.

He and Seboks pop bets show is hilarious. He has lost EVERYONE of them. I loved to see him getting pounded by female kick boxer, hilarouse. He lost the WPT event in Los Angeles(the bet was who would last longer) so he had to tattoo Sebok's initials on his arse. Sebok had mercy and let him do it on his shoulder blade I think. The eating contest was surprising, you'd expect a big guy like Gavin could eat lots of tacos.
Not Everyone of them. If you remember in the 2006 WSOP Sebok had to come dressed as a cartoon character everyday. That was some funny stuff.
How come I don't know about these, they sound hilariousLink?
He was probably typing this before PMJ's post came up, look at the time stamp :club:
Good point, I didn't see that. Nice detective work Troyo :D