Of course, I've never met him...only seen him on television. Seems like a nice guy. But having said that, his antics seem annoying and juvenile. I understand that he's a different guy....kind of goes to the beat of his own drummer. That's fine. But he seems to really play up his schtick for the cameras. On HSP, he's much more reserved and doesn't 'act out' at all. I personally prefer the guy so much more when he's not playing the fool. Years earlier, I found myself rooting for Laak to do well....now he just tends to annoy the $hit out of me. Thoughts?

Of course, I've never met him...only seen him on television. Seems like a nice guy. But having said that, his antics seem annoying and juvenile. I understand that he's a different guy....kind of goes to the beat of his own drummer. That's fine. But he seems to really play up his schtick for the cameras. On HSP, he's much more reserved and doesn't 'act out' at all. I personally prefer the guy so much more when he's not playing the fool. Years earlier, I found myself rooting for Laak to do well....now he just tends to annoy the $hit out of me. Thoughts?
Consensus on him is that he has a gf with ginormous funbags.
Seems like a bit of a child and his whole act is getting a little tiresome.

General concensus - Extremely good player. Likable guy and funny to watch.My opinion - Extremely good player. Hate his attempts at humor and all the push-up/boxing sh1t. He annnoys the hell out of me.

Consensus on him is that he has a gf with ginormous funbags.
Yeah but I bet that got that nasty blue vein in them

He has extremely impressive math and applied game theory skills, and they get him into trouble a lot in tournaments because his reading ability isn't on the same par. Good player but not a great player. If not for the antics and showmanship, you'd never hear about him.

From what I gather he's pretty tight, but does the whole act thing to foster an image that couldn't be farther from the truth. Also he seems to be an angle-shooter which really bothers me. I've heard more than a couple stories of him stretching the rules as far as they go. In summary, seems like a douchebag to me. Antonio, on the other hand, has really impressed me w/ his play on shows like HSP. I used to think he was a ****** too, but the more I've watched from him, the more gifted I think he is.

I wouldn't consider him a bad player at all. I mean, the guy has a 2nd finish at a WSOP and didn't he beat a robot or something (stupid I know)? He uses his craziness at the table to his advantage by making the other players think he is a loose and crazy player. Somehow, things are working for him: great poker player with a hot girlfriend.

I saw him at the Irish Open a few weeks ago and with no cameras, he was just a normal, likeable guy. He definitely plays it up for the camera as do alot of players, but he has definitely built an image for himself. He done push ups at a serious tournament once I believe (once at Johnny Chan's table and once on an invitational WPT freeroll) but now he has an image of an out of control maniac. He plays pretty tight, so I'm pretty sure his loose persona helps there. Whether or not he likes having an image in general like that, I don't know.Also, his 'math skills', nothing special. He basically just uses the x4 and x2 rule, nothing mathematically ingenius..

Also, his 'math skills', nothing special. He basically just uses the x4 and x2 rule, nothing mathematically ingenius..
I guess what I meant to say is that Phil seems like he can talk and rationalize himself into a bad call better than anyone. He leans on the math of the game a lot in my view when it comes to making loose and even pisspoor calls with marginal hands.

He is starting to wear thin with me.Let me see your cards for $12 is funny the first 400 times, after that....But away from the tables I'll bet he is a normal guy, busy fooling his girlfriend that she did not make a mistake sticking with him and it's all going to turn around you'll see.

He is starting to wear thin with me.Let me see your cards for $12 is funny the first 400 times, after that....But away from the tables I'll bet he is a normal guy, busy fooling his girlfriend that she did not make a mistake sticking with him and it's all going to turn around you'll see.
LOL, you want to give up the game for all of us or what?

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE: There may not be a more fun/funny guy to watch.POKER SKILL: I would put him in the second-tier pro league, skill-wise. I'm not sure if he's trying to build or maintain an image on shows like PAD where he swears it's "five of the world's best plus me", but I tend believe him when he says he's not the best.ATTITUDE TOWARDS GAME: Laak has IMO the best approach to the game to try and emulate. The more fun you have (by virtue of having the right mindset towards the game and its natural variances), the better you will play. Simple as that. And Laak's devil-may-care persona (coupled with his TAG reality) fits the bill for poker to a T.GIRLFRIEND: +1

I didn't really like him 'til I started reading his stuff in bluff. That coupled with his banter with Antonio on PAD have made me start to like him. I've also enjoyed hearing some of his interviews on various poker podcasts.

I didn't really like him 'til I started reading his stuff in bluff. That coupled with his banter with Antonio on PAD have made me start to like him. I've also enjoyed hearing some of his interviews on various poker podcasts.
Anything that involves me having to listen to Antonio talk is a bad thing. I swear, the kid can't get through a single hand anymore without either "That's so sick" or "c'mon, one time" escaping his lips. At least he's slightly better than that Greg Mueller guy (the ex hockey pro in the pajama pants that made a WPT FT earlier this season)...every single time the guy needed a card it was "C'mon...tenball one time...c'mon...queenball one time...c'mon...fourball one time..."I wanted to throttle him. I would have throttled him if I was sitting next to him while he was doing it.

I think he is better then people give him credit for and the routine is a big part of that...I have kids so ignoring his little act is not hard...Jennifer Tilley is a wonderful woman as long she is wearing low cut top and not speaking. She is just plain irritating but with great funbags!

I find his whole act a bit tiresome to be honest. I would much rather listen to Greenstein/Brunson/Booth/Elezra/antonius talk about **** that happened the night before in the big game or something like that than listen to laak trying to steal the limelight. He played good solid poker in HSP but he didn't do anything that a lot of guys on here couldn't do with those cards. It was ABC poker to me!!

My girlfriend once told me that he probably was one of those guys that collects his scabs in a jar somewhere.
Your "girlfriend" is either 14 or a figment of your imagination.

I was playing with a pro out in California this summer and he was telling us about where the good games are and pros he respects etc. He went out of his way to say nice things about Laak saying he was a sincerly good all around guy. Oh and his gf has huge jublees

He beats some of the biggest NL games in the world. He's entertaining and seems like a good guy. His Bluff articles are awesome. I dont see what there is not to like.